17th January News and Mentionings

magic

Proud Member
Yesterday you expressed the willing to not to see trial in Today In History. We hear you so we'll try not to include in Today In History part.

Have a nice day, everyone! :)

Mentioning:

Hip Hop Davey D: Looking in the Mirror with Rhymefest

Rhymefest gave us the full details of his exchange with Lupe as well as his feelings for Chicago native Barack Obama in our recent interview at Club Negril in New York's West Village where he was hosting a release party for his new mixtape 'Man in the Mirror' which pays tribute to Michael Jackson. He explained why he is proud of Obama and why he feels America will get behind him and make him president.

Lastly we talked about the new mixtape done with producer Mark Ronson that pays tribute to Michael Jackson. Rhymefest asserted that what he did should not be seen as a mixtape but instead a 'dedication album'. Unlike so many other entertainers who get off on mocking Jackson, Rhymefest insisted that he's a big fan and as a result his song selection reflects his true admiration and respect he has for the King of Pop. He said it was just mere coincident that his dedication album came out around the same time Jackson is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the landmark album 'Thriller'. Rhymefest and Ronson outdo themselves with superb remake of classic songs like 'Never Can Say Goodbye' featuring Talib Kweli or 'All that I Got' featuring Ghostface and Mary J Blige. The title track 'Man in the Mirror' is also a winner.

http://www.thuglifearmy.com/news/?id=4132

'I didn't kill those women'

Bellfield had earlier told the court he was watching the Michael Jackson television interview with Martin Bashir on the night gap year student Marsha McDonnell was murdered. He said he was "pretty certain" that at the time Miss McDonnell was killed he was at home in West Drayton with his girlfriend Emma Mills and their children.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/display.var.1974348.0.0.php

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1992 - "Michael Jackson...the Legend Continues" aired on CBS-TV.

http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/01/17/19150459.aspx

Wyclef: "Michael Jackson Owes Me Money"

By Houston Williams
Wyclef is world renowned as a producer, but he is also an accomplished business man and the Haiti-born rapper has charged that pop star Michael Jackson owes him money.

The revelation came from the rapper/producer during a stop in Sweden.

After being asked if he was jealous of Akon and Will.I.Am, who have recently recorded with Michael Jackson, ‘Clef revealed his thoughts to Kim Halling of The Voice TV.

"I was in the studio with Mike. Michael owes me money. Mike holla at me. You know the money that you owe me. You know what it is," Wyclef said into the camera.

Halling attempted to query Wyclef further on the nature of the debut, to no avail.

"I was in the studio, I’m very tough in the studio. And I feel like…I definitely wanna do some stuff with Mike. I played him some stuff.. Mike you know what it is, holla at me," the rapper stated, before stopping as he appeared to begin to reveal how Jackson owes him money.

Wyclef explained that he actually worked with Jackson circa 1997.

"I went in the studio with Mike. As a producer, when I go in, I’m very specific. Like when you go in the studio with me, you’re not Michael Jackson, I’m not Wyclef Jean. You know, it’s like a coach and a player. So, you gotta trust that the producer is gonna give you want he gotta give you."

The rapper explained why he continually spoke to the beleaguered popsensation though the camera.

"Mike is always looking. Don’t sleep on Mike," he said.

By Houston Williams
Wyclef is world renowned as a producer, but he is also an accomplished business man and the Haiti-born rapper has charged that pop star Michael Jackson owes him money.

After being asked if he was jealous of Akon and Will.I.Am, who have recently recorded with Michael Jackson, ‘Clef revealed his thoughts to Kim Halling of The Voice TV.

"I was in the studio with Mike. Michael owes me money. Mike holla at me. You know the money that you owe me. You know what it is," Wyclef said into the camera.

Halling attempted to query Wyclef further on the nature of the debut, to no avail.

"I was in the studio, I’m very tough in the studio. And I feel like…I definitely wanna do some stuff with Mike. I played him some stuff.. Mike you know what it is, holla at me," the rapper stated, before stopping as he appeared to begin to reveal how Jackson owes him money.

"I went in the studio with Mike. As a producer, when I go in, I’m very specific. Like when you go in the studio with me, you’re not Michael Jackson, I’m not Wyclef Jean. You know, it’s like a coach and a player. So, you gotta trust that the producer is gonna give you want he gotta give you."

The rapper explained why he continually spoke to the beleaguered popsensation though the camera.

yes, but it sounded like he was on drugs or something and he kept saying 'you owe me money, you owe me money' yeah, like we're guna believe him. LOL. :)

I'm hoping Wyclef is kidding with this money thing. Because if not, this is just another classic example of somebody waiting years to complain about something regarding Michael. And that always makes me like "Why now?"

Last edited:
Thanks for the news, DM.

By Houston Williams

I heard about this on the radio today and I was like, :huh: I thought Wyclef was playing or something but it seems like he is not.

Well, if I was Mike, I would not bother with this. Wyclef is not even stating how MJ "owes" him money.

I'm not sure where to put this.. news, Thriller 25, or Music and Madness. lol So is this about ma ma se ma ma sa?

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/music/am-antibalas0118,0,2974697.story

Antibalas: Afrobeat with a city vibe

By Hal Bienstock | Special to amNewYork For 10 years, Antibalas has been America's foremost purveyors of Afrobeat, a hybrid of jazz and traditional African music popularized in the late 1960s by Fela Kuti. But the 12 members of Antibalas say they're far more than just a Fela tribute band.

"I know people that don't hear the difference and say we're copying Fela," said Stuart Bogie, who plays synthesizer and tenor sax. "My response is that if you don't know the difference you don't know Fela well enough."

Anyone who doubts that need only listen to Antibalas' latest album, "Security," which adds elements of funk, soul, hip-hop and even a bit of electronica to the band's Afrobeat sound. Antibalas' unique take comes from the fact that each member discovered Afrobeat in a different way -- whether hearing it while growing up in Africa, finding it in a parent's record collection or discovering it through a sample in a hip-hop song. Bogie discovered it from, of all places, Michael Jackson -- who quotes African jazz musician Manu Dibango on "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'."

Related links

"I was 7 years old [when I heard that album], and there was nothing I cared about more," Bogie said. "It communicated something to me, but I didn't know what it was until I found out about Antibalas."

Shut up Wyclif, you talentless ho.

Anyway, awsome interview with Mez. Man, he really stands up for Michael unlike any other.

I think Wye is messing around, but you know anything that will give a negative edge to MJ the media will pick it up, joking or not. If MJ owed Wye money, he would not be going to the media, he would be going to the courts, which is where one goes to get there money.

Wyclef definatley did not sound all there in the interview.

Wyclef sounds very unprofessional.. if Mike owes you money.. go thru the right channels to get it..

what??

oh, you just feel you should be paid for doing a song.. he didn't like so he didn't use it...

oh.. that's what I thought..

I think Wye is messing around, but you know anything that will give a negative edge to MJ the media will pick it up, joking or not. If MJ owed Wye money, he would not be going to the media, he would be going to the courts, which is where one goes to get there money.

I completely agree.

Mixed article. The writer seems to be a fan overall but not real thrilled with the remixes. Some interesting tidbits in here anyway.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/enjoy/local_story_017184952.html?keyword=secondarystory

Jeremiah Tucker: "Thriller 25" revisits classic Jackson album

Some artists die too soon — Otis Redding, Kurt Cobain — and then, perhaps, some don’t die soon enough.

Now, I’m not saying I want Michael Jackson dead or wish him ill will, quite the opposite. But imagine if Michael Jackson had died in a tragic Ferris wheel accident at Neverland Ranch just after the release of “Bad.” His best work would’ve been secure, and he would’ve been gone before his life turned into a horror story.
But even with all the weirdness and allegations, Jackson’s music still resonates. His blend of slick dance pop and R&B are the foundation for a good portion of today’s bestselling music, and numerous artists are still directly referencing him.
The best part of MTV’s Video Music Awards last year was Chris Brown’s muscular performance of Jackson’s signature dance moves. Justin Timberlake, ubiquitous at almost any MTV event, launched his solo career by capably recalling Michael Jackson’s prime. The production team the Neptunes had even made Timberlake’s hit single “Rock Your Body” specifically for Jackson, but he passed on it.
The French electronic-duo Justice are self-proclaimed Jackson fans and dedicated their 2007 international hit “D.A.N.C.E.” to the King of Pop. In October, Justice showed up on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” to perform “D.A.N.C.E.” but instead of Justice playing the song, they had a band of impersonators pretend to perform it. The band included Stevie Wonder (drums), Prince (guitar), Rick James (bass), Rod Stewart (keyboards) and was fronted by an energetic, “Thriller”-era Michael Jackson — it made for some great, if a bit surreal, television.
This month Chicago rapper Rhymefest, calling himself “the biggest Michael Jackson fan in the world,” released a mixtape dedicated to Jackson called “The Man in the Mirror.” It’s a loose collection of songs and skits where Rhymefest “talks” to Jackson — actually just snippets taken from various Jackson interviews — that ends with a fine remix of Jackson’s “The Man in the Mirror.”
Rhymefest is a smart, talented rapper and “Man in the Mirror,” hosted by deejay and producer Mark Ronson, the guy responsible for the new-soul sound behind Amy Winehouse, is an enjoyable listen. The skits are surprisingly funny without ever being mean-spirited, and many of the songs feature samples that span Jackson’s entire career. If the mixtape as a whole sounds a little tossed-off, it’s never anything less than fun.
With all the Michael Jackson love currently floating around, 2008 could be the year that the 49-year-old pop star reclaims his pop throne. On Feb. 12 he is releasing “Thriller 25,” a re-release of “Thriller” to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the landmark album — still the biggest-selling album of all time. “Thriller 25” consists of re-mastered versions of the original nine songs, a Vincent Price vocal track, one un-released Jackson song from the “Thriller” sessions called “For All Time,” and five re-mixes featuring Kanye West, will.i.am, Fergie and Akon.
The remixes are mostly unremarkable. Perhaps the best candidate for a remix was “The Girl Is Mine,” the worst song on “Thriller.” Dropping Paul McCartney from the track was a good start, but replacing him with will.i.am’s weak rapping isn’t much of an improvement. Similarly, will.i.am turns “P.Y.T.” from a corny but winning dance song into a turgid mess that sounds confused about what it wants to be: Fun? Serious? Danceable? Listenable?
Kanye West remixing “Billie Jean,” while sounding great in theory, is underwhelming. West doesn’t venture far enough from the original — adding some strings, slowing it down, removing the crisp percussion — to even justify this version’s existence. He did a much better job wielding “P.Y.T.” for his hit single “Good Life.” Fergie on “Beat It” is serviceable, but this version sounds a lot like the original, if the original had been a duet with Pink.
At least the new version of “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” re-imagines the song and forces you to approach it a new way. No longer a funk-infused dance-floor starter, it starts off with piano and Akon crooning lyrics that aren’t even in the original. While the song eventually sinks under the weight of will.i.am’s overwrought production, it’s the most original of the remixes.
While the new versions of Jackson’s classics on “Thriller 25” are nothing revelatory, the originals are as good as you remember, and the fact that some of the bestselling artists of today are interested in working with Jackson bodes well for his upcoming “comeback” album that’s rumored to come out sometime this year. While I’m skeptical that Jackson can overcome all the bad publicity and bizarre behavior, maybe he can at least prove there’s still some life left in him and his music.

Address correspondence to Jeremiah Tucker, c/o The Joplin Globe, P.O. Box 7, Joplin, MO 64802.

Wyclef sounds very unprofessional.. if Mike owes you money.. go thru the right channels to get it..

what??

oh, you just feel you should be paid for doing a song.. he didn't like so he didn't use it...

oh.. that's what I thought..

I agree here too.

Now, I’m not saying I want Michael Jackson dead or wish him ill will, quite the opposite. But imagine if Michael Jackson had died in a tragic Ferris wheel accident at Neverland Ranch just after the release of “Bad.” His best work would’ve been secure, and he would’ve been gone before his life turned into a horror story.

That crap right there made me stop reading any further, lol.

I heard WBBS remix twice today on the radio... :)

Aw. What he says is true you know. That doesn't mean you wish it would happen and he didn't either. Now we can hope (and I believe it will happen because Michael is determined) that Michael will turn it around and be successful again.

Thanks for saying that, Im NOT so desperate to read someone's review who thinks Mike never made any good music beyond the BAD album, why even bring the whole death angle into it, if he don't like the remixes fine but some people can't write worth a damn without being melodramactic jackass! ultimately its all subjective if folks want to only live on the Q albums that's their right but I think Dangerous is a far better album than BAD, so like wannbe i stopped reading as well become he comes off like a biased idiot who isn't open that all fans don't see all things alike in terms of how they view Michael's albums.

Last edited:
Mixed article. The writer seems to be a fan overall but not real thrilled with the remixes. Some interesting tidbits in here anyway.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/enjoy/loc...secondarystory

Jeremiah Tucker: "Thriller 25" revisits classic Jackson album

Some artists die too soon — Otis Redding, Kurt Cobain — and then, perhaps, some don’t die soon enough.

God, that article is horrible, I couldn't get all the way through it.

Thanks for saying that, Im NOT so desperate to read someone's review who thinks Mike never made any good music beyond the BAD album, why even bring the whole death angle into it, if he don't like the remixes fine but some people can't write worth a damn without being melodramactic jackass! ultimately its all subjective if folks want to only live on the Q albums that's their right but I think Dangerous is a far better album than BAD, so like wannbe i stopped reading as well become he comes off like a biased idiot who isn't open that all fans don't see all things alike in terms of how they view Michael's albums.
I don't think that is what he was saying. It was in 1993 that the first accusations came out that started to stain Michael's reputation. That is what he is referring to, not the quality of the music.

Aw. What he says is true you know. That doesn't mean you wish it would happen and he didn't either. Now we can hope (and I believe it will happen because Michael is determined) that Michael will turn it around and be successful again.

Well, I was really reffering to him saying Michael's "best work" would be secured. I think Michael's best work came with "History", and his statement is bs to me, like hopespringseternal said. On top of that, I don't think it's right to call Michael's life "a horror story". He's had some really bad stuff happen to him, but Michael's actual life isn't what's become horrific, its what people have done to him and how people have treated him that has. Michael's had a hard life, but he also was blessed with his children later on, and further more, Michael was, according to himself, really at a sad juncture in his life from the late 70s throughout the 80s, he was lonely, had a hard time with his shyness, felt a lot of resenment and fear towards his father, he wasn't happy. What the writer fails to realize is, if Michael's life had ended at that point, it would have been at a time when Michael himself hadn't accomplished a better sense of contentment. Now I'm sure Michael still has times where it's hard to be happy, but there is more oppertunity for him now then was the case in the early 90s, with his children, with being less insecure, etc... So, I just think that statement from the author was dumb overall.

Last edited:
Clef needs to shut his f'in mouth. Michael didn't include your crappy ass song and a half on Vince for a reason. So, Clef, why don't you take your fu la la luvin ass back to the studio in an attempt to earn your own way. Thanks!

-D

Well, I was really reffering to him saying Michael's "best work" would be secured. I think Michael's best work came with "History", and his statement is bs to me, like hopespringseternal said. On top of that, I don't think it's right to call Michael's life "a horror story". He's had some really bad stuff happen to him, but Michael's actual life isn't what's become horrific, its what people have done to him and how people have treated him that has. Michael's had a hard life, but he also was blessed with his children later on, and further more, Michael was, according to himself, really at a sad juncture in his life from the late 70s throughout the 80s, he was lonely, had a hard time with his shyness, felt a lot of resenment and fear towards his father, he wasn't happy. What the writer fails to realize is, if Michael's life had ended at that point, it would have been at a time when Michael himself hadn't accomplished a better sense of contentment. Now I'm sure Michael still has times where it's hard to be happy, but there is more oppertunity for him now then was the case in the early 90s, with his children, with being less insecure, etc... So, I just think that statement from the author was dumb overall.
He is talking from the standpoint of Michael's legacy not as if he were Michael's mom. What happened to Michael was horrific. Now I suppose I feel more like Michael's mom. I want him to be happy and agree with you there have been some good things as well and as long as he is alive there is hope to get beyond the hurt.

I had a sort of hard time deciding if I should post it because the first statement hurts. I don't want people to be heros that we honor because they died young. Life is too precious. Every human life has so much to offer and for someone like Michael it is even more true since he is a genius among us. The thing to be wishing is that the bad during those years he was under attack didn't happen.

What I saw in the article that I wanted to share was the acknowledgement of the contribution Michael has made to the music we hear today. He goes through the list of just the current new work that is out there and Michael's influence. He also acknowledges that the top artists of today want to work with Michael. Don't forget, it wasn't so long ago you had writers predicting noone would work with him. The article ends with the more and more oft repeated referrence to a new album. I was a bit disappoint the author was in the end begrudging in what he would hope for in terms of Michael's overcoming the bad press of the last ten or more years, but he was offering that MIchael would turn it around.

Personally I think Michael will surprise people in how far he can turn it around but then if you didn't have people like this reporter it wouldn't be a surprise. I think this year Michael is going to once again rise above expectations. I don't know him, but I have been watching and learning about him. I see some steel there to go with the genius. I've said it before, but from the time I read that he was exercising by running on the beach in Bahrain and doing gazillion situps a day, and I saw that first smile after the trial, I have believed he would knock the world on its ass once again.

Last edited:
Well I never took the rantings about Michael's inability to "come back" seriously. Michael hasn't had anything less then a number one album since "Off The Wall", through it all, and I never thought anything would get in the way of that continued popularity and musical success if he so chose to continue in the industry. So I don't need some reviewer to tell me that he's able to come back when I always knew that he never even left. The entire landscape of the music industry has been shaped by Michael single handedly, his talent is something which cannot be imitated let alone duplicated, and for those who have payed attention to Michael over the years and really studied him, they know that, if he DID decide to continue in his career after that "trial", then he would take it on with total commitment and desire. Because people who know Michael know that he has strength that is the stuff of myth, that he never half assess anything, and that he has a passion for his work greater then probably every artist in the music industry today combined.

Last edited:
Wyclef definatley did not sound all there in the interview.

He did. LOL. He sounded a little "high". I am not trying to assume anything, but.....

He wore a winter coat in Madrid and that place is usually hot, so......

However, I am not going to sweat what Wyclef is saying because he had said some off the wall things about Lauryn Hill recently. He even said that she is bipolar, but he is not a trained or licensed psychologist so he does not know what is "wrong" with her.

Back