Beat It Marathon!!!

MJFan4Life2

Proud Member
My friend called me about an hour ago and told me to turn to 89.1. Z 89.1 is a local radio station in Syracuse that plays all the popular music of the time, pretty much anything Top 40 and it's on the station. My friend called me frantically telling me Beat It has been playing on the station for the past 4 or so hours. I've been listening for more than an hour and Beat It is being played over and over again. The only different thing that has been played is a small sound bite where a voice says "January 22nd 8:09pm." That's probably the day the marathon ends or who knows what! Ofcourse the first thing I thought was some kind of announcement about MJ will be revelaed but this is only a local radio station and why would this station have any big news not already announced anywhere else.

That's great! Beat It is an awesome song, I wouldn't mind hearing that all day.

Radio Station Plays "Beat It" for 24 hours, people freak out!

LMAO! Check out this!! :toofunny:

(News Staff, you might want to change this to news and mentionings...)

http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/01/22/News/News-A3-3160337.shtml

It's not every day someone calls 911 because Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was playing on the radio.

But when Z89 put the song on repeat for 24 hours starting midnight Monday, "people just started freaking out," said sophomore Lauren Levine, who has worked at the student-run station since her freshman year.

The Syracuse University station received as many as 75 instant messages, e-mails and phone calls from listeners asking what was going on.

Levine, a broadcast journalism major, described Z89 as a very generic Top 40 station. But it is currently switching from "No.1 for Today's Hit Music" to "The Beat of Syracuse."

The radio station chose Michael Jackson's 1983 single "Beat It" to introduce the new theme of the radio station to the public.

"It will have a more rhythmic feel. We did a little programming stunt, just to get people talking about the change," Levine said.

Alex Shomar, a junior bioengineering student at Binghamton University, heard the song multiple times on the radio, then text-messaged Levine, whom he knew was working at the station.

"I said, you know it's just playing 'Beat It' on repeat, you might want to get on that because something might be broken," Shomar said.

Maureen Gallivan, a Spanish teacher at Corcoran High School in Syracuse, also heard the song on repeat and thought it was some sort of flashback day or fundraiser.

"What I thought it might be originally is where maybe a DJ locks himself in the studio until he raises a certain amount of money," Gallivan said. "I knew there had to be some catch. I thought it was pretty cool."

However, not everybody took the stunt lightly, as an unidentified listener ended up calling 911.

"They thought someone had broken into the station, taken over the airways and was messing with us," said Levine.

The emergency operator forwarded the call to the Department of Public Safety, which sent Officer Carol Lodman over to check on the situation around 1:45 p.m.

No report was filed, and Lodman was unavailable for comment.

To continue Z89's transition to "The Beat of Syracuse," the station will be playing a human heartbeat nonstop starting midnight Tuesday until 8:01 p.m. when the rhythm will flat line and then start playing music again.

Levine said Z89 was contacted by listeners of all ages and backgrounds, which she believes exhibits the popularity of radio.

"I think this shows that radio is still really important, if we have this many people calling in," she said.

Last edited:
Re: Radio Station Plays "Beat It" for 24 hours, people freak out!

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Thanks for posting, 24 hours of Beat It:huh::eek:

:lol: :lol:

Wow! I just read this today and uhm.. "Beat It!! Beat It!" :lol:
24 hours...! Wow.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Thanks for posting, 24 hours of Beat It:huh::eek:

:lol: :lol:

Wow! I just read this today and uhm.. "Beat It!! Beat It!" :lol:
24 hours...! Wow.

LOL! I am still laughing! I can't believe people called 911. :toofunny: I would be in MJ heaven! :wub: :toofunny:

i wish my radio station would do that toooo

:beatit:

have a nice day, people!
:ciao:

betty

:wub:lovely 24hrs MJ ....

LOL! I am still laughing! I can't believe people called 911. :toofunny: I would be in MJ heaven! :wub: :toofunny:

rofl!!!!! :lol::lol:

Just imagine

"911 Whats your emergency?"
"Oh my god they won't stop playing beat it!!" *in panic hears hears beat it in the back ground* "Make it stop!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't believe people called 911 :lol: *laughing fit here*

rofl!!!!! :lol::lol:

Just imagine

"911 Whats your emergency?"
"Oh my god they won't stop playing beat it!!" *in panic hears hears beat it in the back ground* "Make it stop!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't believe people called 911 :lol: *laughing fit here*

LMFAO!! :toofunny:

loooooooooooool
who the dummy has called 911 ?!
just BEAT IT baby!!!

loooooooooooool
who the dummy has called 911 ?!
just BEAT IT baby!!!

I like your avatar :lol::lol:

LMFAO!! :toofunny:

Gosh I would have loved to be the dispatcher, I'd probably make his/her life more miserable without intention :lol: "Say Agin?!? TURN IT UP!"
*I would be happily fired*

I'm not sure even I could handle 24 hours of Beat It.

Who Is It or Earth Song maybe!

Gosh I would have loved to be the dispatcher, I'd probably make his/her life more miserable without intention :lol: "Say Agin?!? TURN IT UP!"
*I would be happily fired*

Oh me too!! :toofunny:

OMG:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: I would be in MJ heaven too, it's one of my faves:wub:
thanks for posting:)

OMG:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: I would be in MJ heaven too, it's one of my faves:wub:
thanks for posting:)

My pleasure! ^_^ I just loved this article! *still cracking up* :toofunny:

^^ I had to re-read it once more :lol: I crack up each time :lol:

That's a cool story. Beat it for 24 hours straight! WOW

:lol: I can't believe they called the cops! :toofunny:

Heheh, hilarious that they called the cops...as if they've nothing better to do!

Marni, thanks for posting the article, it sure was hilarious! :lol:

But hearing Beat It for 24hrs on the radio! That would be a pure MJ heaven! :wub:

Go Michael! :)

Marni, thanks for posting the article, it sure was hilarious! :lol:

But hearing Beat It for 24hrs on the radio! That would be a pure MJ heaven! :wub:

Go Michael! :)

It soooo would, wouldn't it? :wub:

I myself probably would go crazy listening to Beat It all day. But if it was Human Nature, well that a different story there...lol

Back