Questions about the song "Bad"

Mikefan

Proud Member
I have some questions about the song Bad. Mainly the instruments that make up this hit smash.

I saw in the credits list that a rubboard was used. What sound was that used to make? Is that what "Rubba" means? I also want to know what that Electric piano is that plays during the hook ("Well, they say the sky's the limit...") and the chorus. What sound is it? Is it soft EP or what? What does "How Now Brown Cow" mean? And when I listen real close, I hear what sounds like two wood blocks being knocked together in time to the song. Can you?

If anyone can answer these questions, thanks a lot.

how now cow brown ? can anyone enlighten me?
How Now Brown Cow = Percussion and a Hammond B3 Midi organ and Synthesizer was used in the solo.

A rubba/rubba board/rub board has a scraping sound to the rythmn which sounds similar to a guiro.

You might need to listen to the instrumental version of Bad to hear it.

Last edited:
the song Bad is a real hoot

what a big amount of 80's fun

I love Bad, and I always thought some of the song (at least anyway) is Michael's sense of humour... especially the extended dance remix. What sheer joy it is to listen to. :D

I love the extended version when MJ laughs during it. Sounds like he was having real fun recording that one!

^^ Mine was on the 12" of Dirty Diana, but I think you can get a Japanese CD import with it on.

Thanks for the answers. But do you know what that Electric piano is that plays during the Chorus?

Thanks. That sounds like that's what it could be. I like that sound. I wish I can find a keyboard like that.

Another question: Why is it called How Now Brown Cow?

Make Mine Music (2003)

Bruce Swedien: Michael does a great little mouth percussion part on Bad that I call "How Now Brown Cow". (Michael is a master at "beat-box" mouth percussion. He can be an entire rhythm section all by himself!)

Back