New Jack Swing Appreciation Thread

J5master

Proud Member
I dunno what it is!

I don't even REMEMBER the NJS era, but it's now my new obsession! I feel like i should've been in that era for REAL!

Im always playing it. People think I'm crazy cuz i'm 20, listening to some New Jack Swing lol. I wonder why this sound died out! It's soooo groovy lol. I mean, who can beat KEITH SWEAT! That is my GUY! I love every thing that he's made lol Like this one

Just...a touch...of looove...a lil bit
Just...a touch...of love

and
Somethin something
somethin something
somethin somethin just aint riiiggghhttt

That is my JAM. Lets see if u guys can remember these:

How about my favorite "quiet storm' jam...

I can tell you how i feel a-bout you
nite and daaaaaaaayyyy (how i feel about youu oohh noooo!)

Or my "club banger":

Iitts drivin me out of my miinnd
That's why it's hard for me to finnnd
Can't get you out of myyy headdd
Miss her, kiss her love herrrrr....
That girl is POOOISSOOOONNNNNN

I LOVE that song!!! (does the running man)

And i gotta give it up to BOBBY BROWN! My favorite song of his is...my heaaarttt...belongs to my roni...she MYYYY only loooveeee. AAH!

And the song I've been having on repeat lately is Color Me Badd. (holds head down in shame) I love that falsetto in the beginning! Come inside take off your coat I'll make you feel at home...Now lets pour a glass of wine cuz now WE'RE ALL alone... AW! His falsetto is so small! :lol: OooooOOOoooo...I wanna sex you up! All niggghtt... :lol:

Oh and I can't forget about Guy. Can't. Jaaamm....ohhhh jammmm......jaaaaaaaaaammmm.....Teddy Jam for meeeeee....dum dum didAAAYYY " :lol: (Fresh Prince forever changed that song for me. "You'll end up an old lady with a shower cap on your head and just all of a sudden start sayin 'dum dum didDAY!' :lol: )

Or how about...YOU CAN CALL ME CRAAA-ZAAAYYYY! :lol:

And lets give love to Heavy Diddley diddley deeee! Is it good to you...I liiike itttttt...is it goood to you...I reeally really liike it!

Ya'll remember: Keep breakin my heaaaaaaaarrttt....keep breakin my heartt pretty brown eyeeesss....keep breakin my heeeAARRTTTTTT.... My sis says that was one of those 'played out' songs :lol:

I love the Troop jam... Spread my winnnggs...and fly away....to a place I have looongged fooorrrrr....and my heart will be...the paath waayyyyy...

Lovin it!

So what are your favorites. Maybe I can add to my collection! (please don't think I'm nuts!)

OMG! You're not nuts. I LOVE New Jack Swing too. You mentioned so many of my favorites

Poison :D, Teddy's Jam, Tenderoni, Nite and Day, Pretty Brown Eyes :wub:

You can't forget Boyz II Men's Motownphilly, Guy's Groove Me, Johnny Gill"s Rub You the Right Way, Ralph Tresvant's Sensitivity :wub:, Tony Toni Tone's Feels Good and I think Montell Jordan's This Is How We Do It can be thrown in the New Jack Swing category too.

New Jack Swing :wub:

Yeah Tony Toni Tone! I think i like whatever you waaaannttt ...girl you KNOW i can proviiideee...whatever you neeeeeddd

Oh that MOntell Jordan is definitely another jam. Thiiiss is how we dooo iiiittt! THis is how we doo iiiitt, it's friday night, and I feel alright...the party's here on the west side...so i reach for my 40 and I pour it up...designated driver take the keys to my truck... :lol: The lyrics are sooooooo funny. :lol:

And oh yeah, can't forget Mike! (I think that's why Dangerous is my favorite album lol). I can't let...I can't let her get awayyy!

And Sensitivity....Don't need a man that'll give you mon-neeeyy. You need a man...with...sens-i-tiiivvvv-ity...a man like me Pretty song i must admit.

Last edited:
you're not crazy, you just know where the good music's at! i'm your age and sometimes i feel like i was born about 5-10 years too late.

straight up, NJS is pretty awesome.. my favourites include GUY, BLACKstreet, Boyz II Men and Jodeci but i'm really more into the production side - obviously the king Teddy Riley along with Raphael Saadiq, a duo called The Characters and my personal fav Kiyamma Griffin.

Quiet Storm's a nice chillout compliment to NJS too...

in the UK back in 1999, i think we had some sort of a NJS revival with our own genre of 2-step garage. if you haven't delved into that, i suggest you try it out!

Last edited:
OMG... New Jack....... MY FAV!!!

Some early Janet works, Keith Sweat (Twisted and Nobody are GREAT songs), SWV, Guy and Blackstreet... some of my fav artists of all time.

I miss this shiz!

Truly sad story...

Vibe.com
2/8/08

Teddy Riley, who cemented his spot in R&B as the father of late 80s, early 90s New Jack Swing- has put his state-of-the-art Virginia Beach studio up to be sold in an attempt to pay back creditors, The Virginian-Pilot reports.

Riley purchased Future Records Recording Studio for $3 million in 1991. Creditors have agreed to seek a buyer for the studio in a Feb. 1 court hearing, but acknowledged that the studio had outdated equipment, which could affect it being sold as a working business.

Riley has been in heavy debt since 2002, the year he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Since then he has sold his home for $1.5 million to pay off debt, to no avail. Riley currently faces a $196,747 lien against him, and a $93,684 income tax lien, both filed in 2007.

Is it true the name - New Jack Swing - was created by Teddy and was a tribute to Michael Jackson? I read it somewhere several times but I could use a confirmation.

Err I don't think that's true, but that'll be cool if MJ has his own genre made inspired by him lol

I think I read somewhere that Dangerous was the biggest selling New Jack Swing album. Anyone know if there's truth to that?

^ yes it is. Remember The Time being the shining example of the success of NJS and i think Teddy stated it's his favourite song he had ever created.

but on the discussion board NJS4E among hardcore fans, there's like a sort of snobbish attitude against Dangerous because it wasn't really your usual swingbeat material - which is funny because it's that slight difference that has kept Dangerous sound relatively fresh.

an album that was undeniably ahead of its time.

Last edited:
TRUST ME....New Jack Swing is WONDERFUL in small spurts, but the reason it died out so quickly is because so many people started singing the same songs and doing the same videos that it became redundant. You remember that Justin Timberlake/SNL parody called "D*ck In A Box"?

I don't know about anyone else, but the entire reason why I found it funny was that if I didn't know any better, that could have been a legitimate Jodeci song, H-Town song, Aaron Hall song, R. Kelly and Public Announcement song, and so forth.

I don't know if VH1 Soul still does it, but if you live in the states and have digital cable, J5master, check out that channel and peep some of their hour long (if not longer) blocks that feature New Jack material. It's great for the first half hour, but afterwards...it reminds me of why it went out of style!

LOL....as I make this post, VH1 SOUL IS PLAYING ROCK WITH YOU FROM THE BAD TOUR IN KANSAS!!! They need to stop playing and air the whole damn show! VH1 just teased the wrong person! XD

Man, does this bring me back! I loved, and perhaps still do, New Jack Swing! Back in the day when I was in college (uh oh I'm telling my age now ;)). Yep I'm ole skool. Some of my favorites, to quote from a song titled 'New Jack Swing':

1-2-3 I named it New Jack Swing
Yes, T.R., is my name
Making you girls, do my thing
It's the way, I entertain, baby
I'm on the beat you like
Yes, that's right, it's outta sight
All the bumps are very high
Yes, T.R. is grooving it right
I got Keith Sweat, Heavy D.
To-day, Mo Dee
B. Sure, and my man Bobby Brown
I got Cinnamon, Redhead
Boy George, James
Deejay, and my hooome-booooys Guy

Can't believe a thing about the New Jack Swing

Last edited:
Big New Jack Swing fan here!

Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, Guy, BBD, CMB, Jodeci, Al B. Sure, Lisa Lisa, Ralph Tresvant,Troop, etc, etc. have albums by all these artists and they were all definitive artists in the New Jack Swing movement. It was a great time in music.

Last edited:
Seriously, the craft Teddy Riley put into his productions on "Dangerous" is so far beyond what's expected from a producer.

People don't realize how complex those beats are.

Al B. Sure
Bobby Brown
Tony Toni Tone
Club Nouveau
Color Me Badd
Teddy Riley the man himself!!!
Maybe Whodini
Keith Sweat!!!!
Heavy D
Bel Biv Devoe
A good amount of the tracks off of Dangerous had a good NJ swing to em.
Maybe Naughty By Nature, and some early early R. kelly stuff.

That right there is the essential my friends.

Last edited:
New Jack Swing

Who misses New Jack Swing? The OFFICIAL NEW JACK SWING thread! Post your favourite New Jack Swing songs, rant about how much you miss New Jack Swing!!

I'll post my songs later, but a mention is Bobby Brown's My Prerogative.

Re: New Jack Swing

never experienced the period but become a big fan because of Dangerous. ultimate favourite NJS moment: music behind RTT short film dance sequence.

Riley was bordering on mediocre and genius, much like Timbaland. but you can't falter the rhythm and the melodies.

ohh yeaa Keith Sweat's Nobody is a goooooooooooood song. thats my jam

I love boys II men and SWV who were a great trio group in this, besides TLC who count as well.

New Jack Swing Fan Right Here! Let's see, I got MJ, Guy, Blackstreet, Keith Sweat, Al B. Sure, Bobby Brown, Janet, & Wreckx N Effect. Love that NEW JACK SWING!!!!

Damn I feel like watching New Jack City and watching Guy do they thang.

For the past 2-3 weeks I've been on a New Jack Swing memory lane thing. LOL I've been watching videos by Troop, Chuckii Booker, GUY, Al B. Sure, Keith Sweat and a group called Today. Damn I miss that genre of music! LOL Songs that make you want to get up and dance.

My songs of the top of my head:

I Want Her - Keith Sweat
Troop - Spread My Wings
Guy - You Can Call Me Crazy
Guy - Groove Me
Al B. Sure - Rescue Me
Al B. Sure - On Your Own Girl
Levert - Just Coolin'
Today - Why You Get Funky On Me
Hi Five - Just Can't Handle It
MJ - Remember The Time
MJ- Why You Wanna Trip On Me
MJ - Can't Let Her Get Away
Bobby Brown - My Preogative

Last edited:
^^lol. I went on a New Jack binge a few days ago. I listened to Ralph Tresvant "Sensitivity", CMB "I Wanna Sex You Up" and the New Jack Mix of MJ "Remember the Time" nonstop.

New Jack Swing..... the best sounds ever..soooooooo fresh, so Summerish...soooooo 90s....soooooooo carefree (I know the beginning of it was in the80s, but anyway)

Tedddy Riley is genius

listen to "New Jack Swing' (the song title)

listen also to Bobby Brown f.e. "Humping Around"..... but listen to it LOUD and groove

just g-r-e-a-t:D :D!

Last edited:
I would love Michael to have a New Jack Swing influence in the new album..

It fits Michael perfectly because, New Jack swing is exaclty what Michael is..

wut I mean..

New Jack Swing is a mixture between Pop and Hip Hop.

Hip Hop comes from the same aspects as Motown.. A strong african influence, simular drum and base drives, using the strings to cary it.. It comes from the same part of the soul.. And Mikes Pop influence in his music is huge..

New Jack Swing to me sounds like a mixture of the type of music he made in the 70's, and present.. It's MJ at his best..

Plus New Jack Swing can hit into that Rock aspect and still be true to its roots.. It can go a bit ballad and still be New Jack.. It's MJ..

Last edited:
I kinda don't classify Dangerous as NJS because half of the album is all MJ lol (Heal The World def. isn't NJS lol)

Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel is one of the best R&B albums in the past 25 years.
Guy's debut album is the quintessential NJS album

and who said Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up" was NJS?!

Back