What Is Michael's Most Underrated Album?

Least Appreciated Album

• Off The Wall

Votes: 41 9.9%
  • Thriller

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 11.6%
  • HIStory

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • Blood on the Dancefloor

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • Invincible

Votes: 206 49.6%

• Total voters

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
I couldn't find a poll on this already, but if there is one then I apologize!

Which do you all think is Michael's least recognized album, I am guessing that most people will vote for Invincible, however, I believe it wasn't recognized for good reasons, it wasn't as powerful and crafted as his other works.

My vote goes to Dangerous, although it sold as many albums as Bad, or maybe slightly more, the album is one of his best, possibly the best of his work.

My personal favorite is Bad, but I believe that the music videos, the promotion and the songs were more recognized to the mainstream audience more so than Dangerous.

Please post your reasons for your choices guys!

HIStory.

Damn, songs like "Little Susie" are sooooo underrated!!

Anything post-Bad is underrated. But the most underrated is Invincible. Dangerous and HIStory both occasionally receive some appreciation. But it's only really the fans that like Invincible.

I voted for HIStory because its Michaels most personal album IMO and didn't get the credit it deservd

"Invincible" of course.... even a lot of his fans don't apprecaite this
sadly

Invincible:

It is the album where michael exploits most his vocal capabilities
There are inside it pure marvelous songs like Unbreakable or Butterflies, Speechles wich are incredible quality, and the overall album is great but there are TOO mucho songs, and that "over-produced" thing maybe that gives in result a more aspetic album than the precedents.

I would also say HIStory, it's his most brilliant album for me and i think people don't consider it as big as it is.

so what if viince wasn't as powerful as it's other works...it's more powerful than everything else that came out at the time, and anything that came after it lol.Maybe by MJ standards it's weak (to some people), but compared to everything else, it's STROnG.

Well that's not what I'm saying LOL. Im sayin that doesn't mean it's a bad album...bad by any standards. Not every album of MJ's is gonna be dead perfect. Invincible compared with it's competition was an extremely good, creative, well done album and should be recognized as such.

I think Blood on the Dancefloor is terribly underrated. Most people don't even seem to know about it or about Ghosts which I think is possibly his greatest music video.

oh and History has some of the strongest writing and music i've encountered and doesn't get the credit it deserves either.

History. The album is straight up genius and its always that album where it seems fans complain that Michael started to lose his edge. I always laugh at that because that album is where Michael actually displayed the fuller extent of his talent as not only a vocalist, but as a killer, killer song writer. Oh well. It also broke a lot of records, which fans and people in general conveinently forget too.

Off the Wall.

I couldn't find a poll on this already, but if there is one then I apologize!

Which do you all think is Michael's least recognized album, I am guessing that most people will vote for Invincible, however, I believe it wasn't recognized for good reasons, it wasn't as powerful and crafted as his other works.

My vote goes to Dangerous, although it sold as many albums as Bad, or maybe slightly more, the album is one of his best, possibly the best of his work.

My personal favorite is Bad, but I believe that the music videos, the promotion and the songs were more recognized to the mainstream audience more so than Dangerous.

Please post your reasons for your choices guys!

Dangerous? :huh:

Most underrated by the fans: Off The Wall

Most underrated by the General public: History

Last edited:
"Dangerous" is underrated by the general public (eventhough Black Or White and Remember The Time are both very well known songs) but I'm sorry although I like Dangerous I think that album is overrated by the fans. Sometimes I get tired of hearing about it at MJ sites all the time , but maybe if it was my fave MJ album I would feel differently lol. I just think it's funny how fans and general public are so different though. The public acts like "Thriller" is his only great album and most people at fan sites act like "Dangerous" is the end all, be all.

I wish Off The Wall (my personal fave), Invincible and Blood On The Dancefloor would get more love.

On a sidenote, I'm glad to see that no one has picked "Thriller" lmao. That would just be crazy.

Last edited:
Off The Wall is hardly mentioned. lol even Invincible is mentioned more for not doing so good though.
No way. Nearly ever non-fan I talk to says Off The Wall is MJ's best album. It's either Off The Wall or Thriller. No one outside of MJ's fanbase would ever even acknowledge that he made other albums besides these two.

I forgot to mention BOTDF, wich includes one of the BEST MJ Songs: BOTDF and one of the greatest videos: GHOSTS. Plus, it's the most selling remix album of all time! :D
So in the end in this order:

INVINCIBLE
HIStory
BOTDF

dangerous because he went into a whole different direction with his sound and made it work and then you had other acts trying to do New jack Swing and that hybrid. dangerous still has cuts on there and it works.

Bad would be next for the simple fact being that any artist that has to dare follow up thriller is always never gonna get the benifit of the doubt. Bad was cool and a hard follow up.

dangerous because he went into a whole different direction with his sound and made it work and then you had other acts trying to do New jack Swing and that hybrid. dangerous still has cuts on there and it works.

Bad would be next for the simple fact being that any artist that has to dare follow up thriller is always never gonna get the benifit of the doubt. Bad was cool and a hard follow up.
and.... 'Invincible'?:unsure:

Michael in general is under rated for the most part, but I would have to say his most underrated and unappreciated work is Invincible.. It's wonderful, but was not given a chance.

when I see the originality - Off the wall
various styles - Dangerous
lyrics - HIStory
vocally - Invincible

Hm, I think all albums from Dangerous + are underated.
Although Thriller is an amazing album, most people mention that when mentioning his best work and none of his other stuff.

Back