Artists Who Put Their Names In Their Songs

eighthnoterojo

Proud Member
I get it. It's a form of advertising, and allows peeps to instantly know who the artist is behind the song. I find it a rather cheap tactic, because it has nothing to do with the music or the song. (I can only forgive this kind of thing in the remixes because the name dropping in those cases promotes MJ. :p) Why must we be subjected to advertising all the time. Like there isn't enough advertising in our daily lives; we have to have it in the music we hear as well?

Here are some guilty parties-

Sean Kingston
Akon
will.i.am

There are many others.

Other artists guilty of using 'trademark' vocal techniques-

Kanye West
Timbaland

Are these techniques really necessary when they do next to nothing to enhance the music? (Imo of course.) For example, Nelly Furtado's Say It Right. Do Timbaland's vocal additions make the song any better? Do they have anything to do with the song whatsoever? Meh.

Of course then one could argue that MJ uses 'eehees', 'woohoos' and so on and maybe those are trademarks too. But I think not. MJ's singing is so instantly recognizable, I don't think he needs to use 'trademarks'. But I could be wrong.

If I imagine MJ singing say, Earth Song without the 'woos', I feel something would be missing. They fit the music. But if one were to remove the 'yeah, uhn' by West in his BJ remix, I personally wouldn't miss them at all, and the song would not suffer imo.

Am I just biased, or what? :p

What are your opinions?

Do you mean names in their songs when they are actually singing it? Or what? Cause as soon as i read the title i thought...

"Hips don't lie" - Shakira
"Ana Haifa" - Haifa Wehbe
"Dear Michael" - Michael Jackson

well..i think it's kinda cool. the most clever one, where the guy doesn't mention his name, is Janet's possible husband....when he says..

'yall know who this is'

i think the producer shout-out thing all started back in the new jack swing days with Teddy Riley and co.

The Characters too had to be mentioned on anything they produced or remixed,,

Prince has done it too, at least with "My Name Is Prince." It's not really the same thing, though, because his song had a message. Also John Lennon had done it a few times, too.

Usually, though, I find it a cheap way to sell yourself. :yes:

Last edited:
Nice to hear what others think.

I guess bottom line is if it enhances the song, if it has to do with the song (like in Dear Michael) then it's fine. Otherwise, it's just cheap advertising. Bleh. Me no like, lol.

and despite the rampant akon hate, you gotta give it to him for using a slamming prison cell gate as his signature. at that point he doesn't have to say anything at all, and you know who it is. i think it's a stroke of brilliance.

guess it depends then,
i dont like how producers or whatnot have to be announced in a song, that recks the whole song. makes me think of a whitney houston, i think.. and michael too and others in a song where it sounds like they are saying 'dogchow' in the beginning of a song. is that a producer? ohwell im not looking into it.

to me thats like if you watch a movie and lets say a producer wants you to shout his name in a movie line.........would that make sence??? nooooo. it recks the movie. although alfred hitchcock had to be in a scene in his movies. but he didnt shout his name in it tho. lol but. yea ahhh.

guess it depends then,
i dont like how producers or whatnot have to be announced in a song, that recks the whole song. makes me think of a whitney houston, i think.. and michael too and others in a song where it sounds like they are saying 'dogchow' in the beginning of a song. is that a producer? ohwell im not looking into it.

to me thats like if you watch a movie and lets say a producer wants you to shout his name in a movie line.........would that make sence??? nooooo. it recks the movie. although alfred hitchcock had to be in a scene in his movies. but he didnt shout his name in it tho. lol but. yea ahhh.

lol I think its Darkchild

Last edited:
Michael does it too lol.
Well not HE personally,but rappers in his songs say it. Take for instance Jam, 2Bad, This Time Around.

But yeah,I do find it lame.
Especially when Akon says KONVICT-KONVICT-KONVICT ! ! ! in every freaking song (and yes,of course,he HAD to do it in WBSS!)

Does Sir Nose D'voidoffunk count as naming himself all the time, lol?

Does Sir Nose D'voidoffunk count as naming himself all the time, lol?
:lol:

Well, he's a character, and sometimes the songs are about him and his, um, lack of ability to be funky, among other things. So I think that's ok. lol

You sure know how to liven up an old thread, DD. :)

guess it depends then,

I cant stop laughing I find this post HI-larious

oh i really hate that every akon song has to start with that "konvict..." and what about those vocal additions to Gwen's Sweet Scape "woohoo yeehoo..." thats so lame....didnt he have time to record more stuff or what? :mello:

in rares times it can be cool, but excessively like those guys is lame and tiring...

I like it if it makes a statement and is not over done. Think Britney Spears' Gimme More "It's Britney Bitch!!" I loved it! and it became a slogan.

that slogan brit sooo got from rick james ..im rick james biitch

heh..she took it like after he died even..coincidence.. i think not lol

konvict dogchow darkchild whateva...annoyin sometimes..all the time

What's your name Yauch? My name is MCA!
S-S-S-S-Samantha Fox
Betty Boo is doin' the do
Color Me-Me-Me-Me Badd
If anybody asks U, U belong 2 Prince
Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD
Bobby Brown is good to go solo
Hey Mariah, we go back like babies and pacifiers
Gladys, Gladys, Gladys, woo...
Run DMC and we're tougher than leather
Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys and we're doing the twist.
Hey Jackie, do you want her? Hey Randy, do you love her? Jermaine, do you need her? Hey Tito, you can't have her!

Back