Frankie Lymon

Check out this kid man. Now, obviously, comparisons between he and Michael were always drawn, as they both were popular child vocalists. Frankie is 13 and 14 in most of these clips. While he doesn't have the natural talent vocally that Michael does, he had a professionalism to him and his timing that I've never seen in any other singer in this age range. He really knew how to sing and he had a great voice on top of it. He was a good dancer too. Very smooth. What happened to him was unfortunate. When he reached puberty, his voice changed from a tenor to a baritone and nobody wanted him anymore. He couldn't get a record contract, which is absurd. And like so many child stars, he had trouble with addiction, to heroine. When he was serving in the armed forces he had been able to kick his habit and was getting it together, and even landed a record deal. The saddest part was, to celebrate the deal, he decided to do some heroine and he died from an overdose. But he was supremely talented and helped pave the road for a lot of people. Check out what a consumate pro. he was at such a young age. You don't see talent like this anymore. If more people saw this, they wouldn't be so impressed with 16 year old Chris Brown, lol.

Goody Goody
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-ubs_46c8

Why Do Fools Fall In Love
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q96ylFiQK_I

Shorter clip of Goody Goody (From the film "Why Do Fools Fall In Love)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSo4Q6gj_8

The Only Way To Love
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyXEZ8ofDI

I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent and Baby Baby
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f8dW1xsIgAc

Last edited:
Poor kid. By the age of 25 he had suffered and endured more than people three times his age. He had a series of bad relationships, that he never legally entered out of. He had massive drug problems that saw the end of him. It's sad. Have you seen the movie they made about him? I forget the name of it.

Last edited:
The results of child stardom are never good, that's for sure. I've seen the film yeah, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". He had a hard life. Child stars are always plauged by a number of problems later in life, Michael is no exception, except I think that Michael was perhaps even more heavily affected by it then is typical because he's really a sensative person.

Last edited:
Thanks wannabe for posting, I like how people like yourself in your 20s do appreciate great artists, so many kids don't have a clue about Frankie Lymon and it's a shame really. I think he, Michael and Stevie were three of the greatest child stars of all time.

Thanks for the clips, I enjoyed watching them! :)

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Larenz Tate did such a good job in portraying him, such an underrated acting performance. For those that haven't seen it, you're really missing out.

Last edited:
Thanks hopesprings, that was nice of you to say. I'm in to a lot of artists from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I wish more people my age knew of these people as well.

Thanks for posting the clips. He was exceptionally talented! "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" was originally titled "Why Do Birds Sing So Gay" (a line in the song, but I believe he suggested to change it)

Such a tragedy though that his life ended like it did, if he was still alive I wonder what he would do today...

You know the Tenor is the most popular for male voices usually, but I mean there are many, many great Baritones...

[FONT=&quot]
Thanks for the clips, I enjoyed watching them!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Larenz Tate did such a good job in portraying him, such an underrated acting performance. For those that haven't seen it, you're really missing out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

I saw it yesterday ... I've seen it twice....

as for Frankie Lymon... he was for sure exceptional, very talented... it's sad what happened to him[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
it was because of the demanding public and greedy people in the industry
.... so the child stars who have overcomed all the obstacles and are staying in the bussiness as adults are real winners
(Michael and Stevie are good examples)

thanks for posting:D[/FONT]

Last edited:
I saw this thread earlier this evening and thought Frankie who? The only Frankie I knew was Vally (sp??).

Then tonite our local channel showed "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" so I had to come back online and add my comments.

About the movie - I loved the performances. It made me cry to see what those women went through. And I cried for Frankie Lymon.

About Mr Lymon - his story broke my heart. He made some bad decisions (but then we all do) and paid with his life. Sometimes I think people do not truly understand the pressures of fame and celebrity and what happens to people when they lose both. We can all pretend that it wouldn't happen to us, that we could keep things together. But we don't know. We dont know what people will whisper in our ear, or spit in our face. We don't know who will smile in our face and stab us in our back. We don't know you will be so consumed with jealousy for all that we achieved and will try to bring us down. And we certainly don't know how we would react to all that.

That is why I do not judge Michael (sorry to bring him up). He may make decisions that I cannot comprehend but I don't know what goes on his life that leads him to those decisions and I don't know that if I was in his same situation, walking in his shoes, that I would not do the same.

This cult of celebrity will only change when we recognise that fame does not equal any extra-special powers. But don't get me started on that.

I enjoyed the songs I heard by Mr Lymon. He was a great talent. I just hope he did not die feeling alone and unloved.

The results of child stardom are never good, that's for sure. I've seen the film yeah, "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". He had a hard life. Child stars are always plauged by a number of problems later in life, Michael is no exception, except I think that Michael was perhaps even more heavily affected by it then is typical because he's really a sensative person.

YEs!! this movie is awsome!
He can sang his ace off word!! he deserved so much more N his career...

The lead singer of Maze, Frankie Beverly, legally changed his first name from "Howard" to "Frankie" in tribute to Frankie Lyman.

Bump! :)

I just watched the film Why Do Fools Fall in Love. I did a search for Frankie Lymon, and found this thread about him.

In the second clip posted, there's what was intended to be a funny dialogue between the host (Frankie Laine) and the group. One of the Teenagers (the baritone) interrupts Laine by saying "Come on boys, let's sing our song now," in his deep, booming voice. Laine then says "Did that come out of you?" The baritone responds by saying "Yes sir, can we sing now?" And then Laine asks "What's your hurry?" The baritone answers "I have to make my money before my voice changes."

Ouch.

Would have been funny, but hearing this now, well, it's sadly ironic. Of course no one could have known what would happen in the future. Geez....

Damn heroin. He was only 25. Who knows, he might have been able to make a comeback. *sigh*

Check out this kid man. Now, obviously, comparisons between he and Michael were always drawn, as they both were popular child vocalists. Frankie is 13 and 14 in most of these clips. While he doesn't have the natural talent vocally that Michael does,

@Wanabe,
I think Lymon did have the natural talent just like Michael. There is nothing manufactured about Lymons talents. That is as raw as it gets.

He doesn't have the voice that Michael has. But he was an awesome talent. But vocally, he wasn't as strong as Michael. I'm a big fan of Frankie's, so you don't have to tell me anything about him, I know plenty.

Well shoot I only brought him up in the inital post as a parallel. I wasn't trying to say Frankie didn't have natural talent. Just not as much, lol. I complemented him too, but nobody noticed I guuuuuuesssss, lol.

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers

teenagers.jpg

Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers, 1956

As lead vocalist with the Teenagers, Frankie Lymon became the first black teenage singing idol. The group's success inspired the formation of a number of youthful black vocal groups, from the Students in the late '50s to the Jackson Five in the '60s. The group's sound influenced young singers such as Ronnie Bennett and Diana Ross, and served as prototype for both the girl groups and early Motown groups of the '60s.

After forming several short term vocal groups, two black students from Edward D. Stitt Junior High School in the Washington Heights section of New York city, Jimmy Merchant and Sherman Garnes recruited neighborhood Puerto Ricans Herman Santiago and Joe Negroni for the group. They called themselves the Premiers and hoped some day to make a record.

barrett.jpg

Richard Barrett

The Premiers were working on a song they had written called "Why Do Birds Sing So Gay" and needed a high tenor. Richard Barrett, a member of the Valentines, lived above the grocery store where Frankie Lymon worked part time. Through him they got together with Lymon who suggested changing the focus of the song and it's title. The song would be known as "Why Do Fools Fall In Love"

The Valentines were under contract to Rama Records owned by George Goldner. Barrett a talent scout for Goldner arranged an audition. Goldner was impressed. At subsequent recording sessions bandleader Jimmy Wright suggested a name change to the Teenagers to reflect the members ages.

Early February, 1956 "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" was released. With Lymon on boyish soprano lead, the song became an instant smash on Gee Records. The song was subsequently covered by the Diamonds and Gale Storm, but unlike most songs rendered by white artists, the original proved to be the biggest hit. The Teenagers were on their way.

teenletter.jpg

The Teenagers

Sporting a clean-cut wholesome image, the appeal of the Teenagers was their youth. On stage they were very energetic. The group was well choreographed by Cholly Atkins who would go onto greater fame with the Temptations. The Teenagers were packaged so as not to upset middle lass American parents. They even appeared in letter sweaters.

March, 1956 they were booked by Alan Freed in one of his rock and roll reviews at the Brooklyn Paramount. They appeared with the Platters and Bill Haley and His Comets. A second single "I Want You To Be My Girl" was released in April. A week later they appeared on CBS-TV's Shower of Stars. By the end of April they were touring with "The Biggest Rock and Roll Show of 1956".

teenagersrock.jpg

The Teenagers on the film, "Rock, Rock, Rock"

In August production was begun on a movie called Rock. Rock, Rock in which the Teenagers made a cameo appearance. In September they appeared on Alan Freed's radio show. While headlining the Apollo "ABC's of Love" was released. After that they went back to Hollywood to film a cameo for Don't Knock the Rock. In late September they began a tour with Bill Haley that lasted until late November. In November their fifth single "Baby, Baby" was released and their first album Meet the Teenagers was released in December. The Teenagers were enrolled in the School for Professionals. and on the road they took correspondence courses and had traveling tutors. However, they were falling behind in their education and the group stayed at home the first of months of 1957. During this time "Paper Castles" was released.

lymon&teenagers.jpg

Frankie & the Teenagers, 1957

After appearing in a carnival in Panama in March they began a three month tour of England beginning at the London Palladium. While in London, the Teenagers recorded a second album Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers at the London Palladium.

George Goldner had been trying to convince Lymon to go solo and after the success in Great Britain he agreed to do so. On Alan Freed's weekly television show in July Lymon appeared solo. "Goody Goody," his the last record with the Teenager was released in July.

In September Lymon began an 80 day tour with the Biggest Show Stars for 1957 as a solo act. His first record without the Teenagers, "My Girl" was released.. In November Lymon's "Little Girl" appeared on Roulette and the Teenagers "Flip-Flop" on Gee

January 1958 Lymon released "Thumb, Thumb" Lymon and the Teenagers reunited to sing "Goody Goody" on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand. In June he appeared with the Coasters at the Apollo Theater.

teenagerswofrankie.jpg

The Teenagers w/o Frankie

Losing his youthful soprano voice, at the age of fifteen Lymon's career was in decline. After the initial success of the first two records sales had slipped with each release. "Goody, Goody" was the last record by Lymon or the Teenagers to have any significant sales.

lymonstone.jpg

Frankie Lymon's grave site

Lymon had expermented with drugs since 1958 and had become a heroin addict. He entered a drug rehabilitation program in Manhattan 1961, and only remained clean for a few years. On June 21, 1966 he was arrested on a heroin charge. Lymon entered the army in lieu of a jail sentence but, received a less then honorable discharge a short time later. He moved to Fort Gordon, Georgia where he married a local school teacher Emira Eagle and stayed in the Augusta area appearing at a local lounge. In mid-February he told his wife he had a weekend job in New York. On February 27, 1968 he died in the same house he had grown up in with an empty syringe by his side.

As with most young performers of the era, the Teenagers lost rights to their material. Goldner's publishing firm had handled the song, taking fifty percent off the top. Originally Frankie Lymon, Herman Santiago and George Goldner were listed as "Why Do fools Fall In Love" composers. Santiago's name was soon dropped and in the mid-sixties Lymon and Goldner sold off their rights to the song. Goldner allegedly to pay gambling debts and Lymon for money to buy drugs.

In 1984, on behalf of Emira Lymon, a lawyer and artist's agent sued to wrest the copyright away from the current owner. The case became confused when it looked like Lymon had a second and possibly a third widow. Elizabeth Waters claimed to have married Lymon in 1964 in Virginia. However, it turned out she had been married to someone else at the time. As Water's claim went to court, Zola Taylor ex-member of the Platters, claimed that she had been sexually active with Lymon as early as the "Biggest Rock "n" Roll Show of 1956" tour. She claimed to have married Lymon in Tijuanna about 1965, but could produce no certificate. The first hearing, held in Philadelphia, was decided in favor of Miss Waters being Lymon's first wife. Emira appealed and won a reversal based on her claim that she was Lymon's last wife.

Herman Santiago and Jimmy Merchant also pursued their claim to the songs rights in federal court. In December, 1992, the two singers and Emira Lymon, received complete rights to the song.

By 1980, Sherman Garnes (heart attack) and Joe Negroni (cerebral hemmrage) had both died when the remaining Teenagers decided to rebuild the group. Santiago and Merchant performed with Garnes' brother, while the high tenor parts were handled by Pearl McKinnon of the Kodiaks, and later by Frankie's brother, Lewis Lymon

Frankie Lymon has been called the "father" of the girl group sound. He was a direct influence on Arlene Smith of the Chantels, Little Anthony and the Imperials, and the Isley Brothers, all who recorded for George Goldner.

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers were inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.

Here's some important notes:

*Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers were the first rock & roll group to be all underage teenagers.
*"Why Do Fools Fall in Love" became a number-one smash in England, making them the first rock group to do so.
*The Teenagers had more hits in Britain than in America though they had solid runs in both countries and were hit makers by the end of 1956.
*Frankie is often regarded as the pioneer of the teeny bopper bands and girl groups so yes the Jackson 5 have to take their hats off to the Frankie & the Teenagers no doubt.

Back