The Jacksons Variety Show - Who Watched These?

Re: The Jacksons ariety show, who watch them?

oh yeah i love them too. i've watched most of them. thx for posting this one. hadnt seen it before :D

Re: The Jacksons Variety show, who watch them?

more than the skits I love the performances.... but I mean it... I just looove them...
I remember back in the 90s when I was watching it on the German SAT1 and realized one day there would be no more episodes I couldn't help but crying....

Last edited:

Oh I love the show. I used to have all the episodes on my computer until I deleted everything (my computer crashed from all the stuff in it, lol). I love the skits.

I just learned from Joe's book that Berry Gordy was opposed to the shows and tried t sabbotage it, but it was so successful that he eventually fell in line. Joe was a genious as Michael said. It was also his way of introducing his daughters to the public.

I then received many offers for Jackson 5 from Las Vegas. And I had an idea - to take there all the children.
I have engaged the most well-known producers for concerts in Las Vegas , and in 3 months prepared the children for these concerts. Motown certainly at once has found out about our plans and informed me, that they think that our shows are a mistake. Children ostensibly cannot be a success in Las Vegas. Motown also has stopped to render to us an advertising suppourt.
Their reaction only has more strongly convinced me that I have to create something special for these concerts . I wanted all of them to prove, that not only sons, but also all my children together can show a good show.
Therefore we had to perform not only the newest Jackson 5 hits , but also step and ballads, classical melodies and national songs. I together with the producer have developed for Janet some numbers with songs of Mae West, she and Рэнди studied to sing a duet, among others songs Sonny and Cher's "The beat goes on" and "I got you babe". Motown management has sent me a letter where has scarified my plans, but I have not allowed them to stop myself.
The first show has taken place on April, 9. Pride overflew my heart when they in their new suits, entered in MGM Grand Hotel. And when they have came on stage, the hall has been filled to the end.
Janet was only 7, and she was so pretty when she twisted the boa with fethers. She and Randy perfectly executed the duets. The others sang and danced - we had numbers for all tastes. Tickets have been sold out for weeks forward, and every evening ended with an ovation, the viewers applauded standing up. We have broken all records and have entered the history.
Motown, certainly, has found out about our unbelievable success, and since this moment supported us with what it could.
By Joe Jackson

Last edited:

It was a great show! So amazing...especially young MJ...My one of favourite skit is Cisso Kids + I shot the sheriff (or whatever to write). :]
Datsymay - thank you for the note from Joe Jackson about The Jacksons Variety Show. Is it from the Joseph's book?

Last edited:

It was a great show! So amazing...especially young MJ...My one of favourite skit is Cisso Kids + I shot the sheriff (or whatever to write). :]
Datsymay - thank you for the note from Joe Jackson about The Jacksons Variety Show. Is it from the Joshep's book?
You are very welcome/ Yes, the quote is from Joseph's book. I have uploaded the whole book on the main page under the heading. ' Michael Jackson's ancestors. A very interesting and detailed book. Written in Germain and translated by a german fan.:D

I love the variety show, I have all the episodes on DVD:D

I really like em'.. U know Mike was against doing the show though, he did not want to..

I really like em'.. U know Mike was against doing the show though, he did not want to..
Mike probably was being influenced by Berry at the time. But are we confusing the Vegas show to the Jaksonm variety tv shhows? They are different shows right. They did the Vegas show when they were still with Motown, but with the Jacksons, they had left Motown by then.^_^

yeah, I watch the shows all the time!! I love them! I understand what Michael meant, though, about not wanting to do the show. But I do love them!

Mike probably was being influenced by Berry at the time. But are we confusing the Vegas show to the Jaksonm variety tv shhows? They are different shows right. They did the Vegas show when they were still with Motown, but with the Jacksons, they had left Motown by then.^_^

In Michael's autobiography he talks about how he really hated doing the variety show. He said it was just filled with canned laughter and that people were laughing just because he was Michael Jackson. He went on to say that he isn't funny and knows he isn't funny (which i dont think is true lol). He also said how everything was so rushed and that they had to learn all of the dances and skits so quickly that he didn't have the time to perfect anything.

I actually LOVE the show from what i've seen of it of course. I really wish I had this on dvd.

Last edited:

Yeah, I love this show as well. I like pratically all the skits/performances on the show but I really loved when they all performed "On The Wall", man Michael was jamming in that one! He definitely did his thing. I also loved when the Jackson sisters performed "Fever", Rebbie in particular really shined in that one but my fave performance of all was when MJ performed "Get Happy". Who knew he could tap dance and do splits?! The man is just incredible. He never ceases to amaze me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rVZUwulimAU
:wub:

Last edited:

I LOVED that one. It's definitely up there in top clips from the variety show. one of my other favorite tap dance ones though is the one he did with Latoya in Puttin on the Ritz. I didn't even realize that was LaToya dancing with him for months
As bad as this sounds she was just REALLY good lol I also loved the one where the whole family performs Steppin Out with My Baby. Also the Nicholas Brothers one with the entire family kills too. I loved that little moment where he was dancing with Janet.

I think Mike should showcase his tapping more often. I don't think most people know he (or the whole family for that matter) could do it. For the family not to have any kind of training and having to whip up those numbers in a matter of days and have it be absolutely spectacular and so proffesional looking is mindblowing.

The CBS Variety show is different then the act the Jackson Five did in Vegas, during the mid-70s, though based on that same show. So Berry Gordy had no influence over the actual TV program, as that happened after they moved to CBS records. Michael hated doing it because he thought it would over-expose the group, which it did, their record sales dropped by the time the show was cancled, and he didn't like how everything was so rushed. A show had to be shot a week, and with how much of a perfectionist Michael is, obviously he didn't like that. Plus, as has already been said, he doesn't think he's funny and he hated having to do the skits. But I love watching them just to see Michael perform those tap numbers and just to see him perform overall. I have all of the episodes on DVD as well, in good quality. Michael really killed it in all those dance routines. The one he did with the Nicholas Brothers is cool. He actually outdances them, he's more fluid, precise and graceful, lol. No surprise to me though. And the skits are so corny that they're actually funny. It's fun just to see all of them take on the comedy. Have you seen the one where Michael and Marlon play bull fighters and Dom Deluise comes in after getting beat up by a bull? Deluise tells Michael he payed for the bull to take a fall and Michael goes in to fight, all cockey, then Deluise starts counting money and Marlon's like "Whatchu' doin'", and Deluise says "The bulls the only one who doesn't know he's taking a fall." lol, its so dumb its funny.

Last edited:

The CBS Variety show is different then the act the Jackson Five did in Vegas, during the mid-70s, though based on that same show. So Berry Gordy had no influence over the actual TV program, as that happened after they moved to CBS records. Michael hated doing it because he thought it would over-expose the group, which it did, their record sales dropped by the time the show was cancled, and he didn't like how everything was so rushed. A show had to be shot a week, and with how much of a perfectionist Michael is, obviously he didn't like that. Plus, as has already been said, he doesn't think he's funny and he hated having to do the skits. But I love watching them just to see Michael perform those tap numbers and just to see him perform overall. I have all of the episodes on DVD as well, in good quality. Michael really killed it in all those dance routines. The one he did with the Nicholas Brothers is cool. He actually outdances them, he's more fluid, precise and graceful, lol. No surprise to me though. And the skits are so corny that they're actually funny. It's fun just to see all of them take on the comedy. Have you seen the one where Michael and Marlon play bull fighters and Dom Deluise comes in after getting beat up by a bull? Deluise tells Michael he payed for the bull to take a fall and Michael goes in to fight, all cockey, then Deluise starts counting money and Marlon's like "Whatchu' doin'", and Deluise says "The bulls the only one who doesn't know he's taking a fall." lol, its so dumb its funny.

Yeah, he totally outdanced the Nicholas Brothers :yes: awwww......I'm gonna go find the dvds so I can see him again!!!!!!!!!!!! *sigh*

and yes, the sits crack me up! I love the one where he's against the pole with the other guy, and they turn around and gasp, but Michael messes up and laughs, and the guy is like, "i cant work like this" LOL. And I love "I shot the sheriff" ahhhhh.......
Meeeeemorieeeees (even though I wasnt even born-lol) And i LOOOVE everytime they sing 'on the wall' and the song that goes "the way you comb your haaaair" what song is that? "they cant take that away from me"????...whatever I love the WHOLE SHOW!you gotta love Micahel! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND can hate this guy????

Last edited:

yeah, I watch the shows all the time!! I love them! I understand what Michael meant, though, about not wanting to do the show. But I do love them!
where can one purchase them?

Yeah, he totally outdanced the Nicholas Brothers :yes: awwww......I'm gonna go find the dvds so I can see him again!!!!!!!!!!!! *sigh*

and yes, the sits crack me up! I love the one where he's against the pole with the other guy, and they turn around and gasp, but Michael messes up and laughs, and the guy is like, "i cant work like this" LOL. And I love "I shot the sheriff" ahhhhh.......
Meeeeemorieeeees (even though I wasnt even born-lol) And i LOOOVE everytime they sing 'on the wall' and the song that goes "the way you comb your haaaair" what song is that? "they cant take that away from me"????...whatever I love the WHOLE SHOW!you gotta love Micahel! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND can hate this guy????

That song is actually called "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and was originally sung by none other then Fred Astaire, in one of his films with Ginger Rogers. The exact one escapes me now. But I love that routine Michael does. His voice is so sweet. And his dancing is out of this world. I love the routine where he does "Steppin' Out With My Baby". The beggining, where he comes out with the cane and does that amazing spin, spreads his feet and then brings them back in and then does that hop, kicking his leg out. He's so graceful and fast and accurate. Its just amazing to watch. I like the 50 Ways to leave your lover skit where Michael sets the canon. The way he gets I think its Rebbie to sit down in the chair and then the way he leaves the room, like a cartoon sleuth trying to tip toe out of a room, lol, its too funny!

Last edited:

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the variety shows. I thought the show was kind of cheesy and stripped them of the soul of J5. J5 was soulful, bluesy. I have to admit that Michael used to kill those dance routines though. No shocker there!!!

i like that show i like the one they sing lime and cocnut i love that song :clap: :flowers:

michael is so awesome in these shows, I shot the sherrif is a classic :D

To mjdove and lovelyone- there was a place to download them on mjno, i think someone moved them here......and also, there are many mj dvd sites that sell the variety shows on dvd- I'll have to check to get the addresses. If i take too long, remind me cause that probably means i forgot (lol-sorry!)

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the variety shows. I thought the show was kind of cheesy and stripped them of the soul of J5. J5 was soulful, bluesy. I have to admit that Michael used to kill those dance routines though. No shocker there!!!

lol you're crazy!

To mjdove and lovelyone- there was a place to download them on mjno, i think someone moved them here......and also, there are many mj dvd sites that sell the variety shows on dvd- I'll have to check to get the addresses. If i take too long, remind me cause that probably means i forgot (lol-sorry!)

Thanks!

You can get them at www.mjdavid.com, that's where I got them. He's a good seller.

Thanks!

You should just download them from here for free:http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44249

Thanks!

lol

I love the variety show, I have all the episodes on DVD:D

@ ur siggy: its supposed to be "50,000,000 elvis fans cant be wrong" not 50,000 lol :p

Last edited:

I love the variety show. The dancing in it is so awesome.

But some outfits though, eh? :lol:

Back