CHUCK BERRY- The True King Of Rock 'n' Roll

Roxanne

Proud Member
i love chuck berry and as michael said in PHM hes the true king of rock 'n' roll. hes the founder of rock and a true pioneer and innovator. a very talented artist that inspired many generations that followed. elvis had made many covers of chuck berry songs in the '50s and so did many other artists. heres a little quote from wikipedia
Chuck Berry is an influential figure and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's website, "While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together."[1] Cub Koda wrote, "Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers."[2] John Lennon was more succinct: "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."

heres some videos of live performances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgObQR_a9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEq62iQo0eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnoSsaeOn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iU-jbjrT_M

hope u'll enjoy them. hes 81 now and he still performs every now and then. hes still got the power :D

I think it is an indictment on a racist system that chose to ignore the real pioneers and award the one that copied them simply because of the colour of their skin. However, As far as I know Fats Dominoe started the rock n roll sound and he also stake a claim to theat title.I love Fats D. True talent thatl

Last edited:
He was definately the REAL DUDE in Rock 'n Roll, Elvis didn't even pay tribute to him...

I just loved when Mike raised his hand at him at the 1984 Grammy ceremony, like he wanted to pay respect and go grab the KING level never reached before.

Ok ya got me Patrick....how about Johnny B. Goode?? Remember that scene in "Back to the Future" where Marvin Berry calls his brother Chuck, and tells him he has a new sound he should listen to?? LOL!

AW: CHUCK BERRY- The True King Of Rock 'n' Roll

Yep, that's more like it and what a roaring rendition that was in BTTF! He's playing next tuesday in my neighbour town (Chuck Berry that is).... I think I will go! I guess it's the last chance I'll have to see this legend in concert!

Tutti Frutti was written by Little Richard and others.... he did record songs with Fats Domino's backing band though... I don't know... in the early R&R days everything kinda seems connected!

Last edited:
My mother saw Chuck Berry in concert with Little Richard, she was in the VIP section, she also loves Fats Domino.
I don't see the point in putting down Elvis to lift Chuck Berry up though. Elvis paid tribute to alot of the people who wrote and inspired his music. Why is there such a huge hatred for Elvis throughout these boards? lol

I didn't put Elvis down. I just said Chuck Berry smokes him, which he does, imo. SInce we're reffering to the title "King of Rock n' Roll", lol.

Last edited:
My mother saw Chuck Berry in concert with Little Richard, she was in the VIP section, she also loves Fats Domino.
I don't see the point in putting down Elvis to lift Chuck Berry up though. Elvis paid tribute to alot of the people who wrote and inspired his music. Why is there such a huge hatred for Elvis throughout these boards? lol
I think its because Elvis is lorded by the media and called King while the pioneers who happened to be black gets buried. These people were every bit as popular as Elvis, but the way the media carry on today you would think that he craeted RnR. Why not celebrate them all, instead of this one man who was merely copying what was already out there.:) It is like celebrating JT as king and ignoring MJ.:mello:

Did you know elvis wasn't the first person to sing hounddog.A black women sung it first.Ican't think of her name at the moment.Bot Chuckberry and little Richard are the true kings of rock and Roll.all elvis did was shake his pelvis

Elvis paid tribute to alot of the people who wrote and inspired his music. Why is there such a huge hatred for Elvis throughout these boards? lol

Because they are threatened thats why. :yes:
Thats why people always put someone down to try and lift someone up. If they cant do it with Elvis they will do it with his daughter - its sickening.
Thats the only way they think it can be done.
Elvis is and always will be the King of Rock and Roll and some Michael fans cant accept that. Weird i know. But its kinda funny to watch unfold actually...lol
Funny to watch opinions float around cause they know they are in the definate minority of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Suspicious...you are such a die-hard fan..and that is so commendable. However, Chuck Berry is still around, and has made some very good music in his lifetime...what a stage presence he has too, dont you agree?

Suspicious...you are such a die-hard fan..and that is so commendable. However, Chuck Berry is still around, and has made some very good music in his lifetime...what a stage presence he has too, dont you agree?

Yes i agree he was an amazing talent but hes no Elvis Presley.
I dont think that titles should be given to others if someone else already has them.
What would some think if Michaels 'king of pop' thing was to be given to someone else? No one thinks about that though...

Yes i agree he was an amazing talent but hes no Elvis Presley.
I dont think that titles should be given to others if someone else already has them.
What would some think if Michaels 'king of pop' thing was to be given to someone else? No one thinks about that though...

You are right...we all need to step back and see it from the other viewpoint...

Because they are threatened thats why. :yes:
Thats why people always put someone down to try and lift someone up. If they cant do it with Elvis they will do it with his daughter - its sickening.
Thats the only way they think it can be done.
Elvis is and always will be the King of Rock and Roll and some Michael fans cant accept that. Weird i know. But its kinda funny to watch unfold actually...lol
Funny to watch opinions float around cause they know they are in the definate minority of the rest of the world.
The rest of the world knows that Elvis got his crown the same way Tarzan got his, by default. Elvis is no more king of Rock and Roll than Tarzan is King of the Jungle. The fact remains that the Racist America couldn't have a black man for King. They had to give it to a white man, even if they had to create one. This was the order of the day. During slavery time, the black man did the invention and the white man patented it. It was hard tradition to break out of, so Tarzan became King of an african Jungle and Elvis became king of Rock and roll. The trend continued in boxing, when they were always looking for the 'great white hope'. America just could accept the black Mohammed Ali, they wanted a white champoan and set out looking for him, even using the media and the law to ridicule and degrade mohanmmed ali and turn the whole nation against him. they even tried to put him in prison.
The Jacksons came and they quickly found the Osmans to rival them, putting extreme pressure in those boys and causing a battle between blacks and whites, all because of colour. The media has never forgiven Michael for being so successful. They are still trying to replace him. They even try to resurrect Elviscareer 30 years after he;'s been dead. The problem is that Elvis's career was long dead well before him. Everything else is all hype by the media.
Elvis could sing, he had a good voice, but there were other equally famous people at the time, and they were doing more than Elvis. They were writng the songs that Elvis sang and they were creating the music that Elvis sang. They got no recognition at all from a racist regime, who is presently doing all in their power to keep MJ from getting the recognition that he has worked all his life for. The mere fact that they have acknowledged that MJ is as great as Elvis, suggest to me that they know that MJ is streets ahead of Elvis, but they would never ackowledge that. We have come a long way, yet the more things change, is the more they stay the same.:)

The rest of the world knows that Elvis got his crown the same way Tarzan got his, by default. Elvis is no more king of Rock and Roll than Tarzan is King of the Jungle. The fact remains that the Racist America couldn't have a black man for King. They had to give it to a white man, even if they had to create one. This was the order of the day. During slavery time, the black man did the invention and the white man patented it. It was hard tradition to break out of, so Tarzan became King of an african Jungle and Elvis became king of Rock and roll. The trend continued in boxing, when they were always looking for the 'great white hope'. America just could accept the black Mohammed Ali, they wanted a white champoan and set out looking for him, even using the media and the law to ridicule and degrade mohanmmed ali and turn the whole nation against him. they even tried to put him in prison.
The Jacksons came and they quickly found the Osmans to rival them, putting extreme pressure in those boys and causing a battle between blacks and whites, all because of colour. The media has never forgiven Michael for being so successful. They are still trying to replace him. They even try to resurrect Elviscareer 30 years after he;'s been dead. The problem is that Elvis's career was long dead well before him. Everything else is all hype by the media.
Elvis could sing, he had a good voice, but there were other equally famous people at the time, and they were doing more than Elvis. They were writng the songs that Elvis sang and they were creating the music that Elvis sang. They got no recognition at all from a racist regime, who is presently doing all in their power to keep MJ from getting the recognition that he has worked all his life for. The mere fact that they have acknowledged that MJ is as great as Elvis, suggest to me that they know that MJ is streets ahead of Elvis, but they would never ackowledge that. We have come a long way, yet the more things change, is the more they stay the same.:)

Enough with the racist crap okay? That is getting to be tiring.
Every single person ive seen online that dosent like Elvis and likes MJ more has used that card.
I dont care what u believe to be true. The fact of the matter is Elvis Presley is the King Of Rock And Roll. Like it or not. And really if you dont like it no one cares.
It dosent make history change just cause a few people online dosent agree. lol

Rock and roll been dead since the 60's. Ain't nobody playing no more. Elvis been dead since the 70's. Course his career been over long before that, I have his best of. Can't tell when I've played it. The voice is too heavy on m,y ears. Music is terribly outdated. Oh, well. Life goes on. Shame rock and roll died.

Last edited:
I didn't say Chuck Berry smokes Elvis because I'm insecure, I said it because I think he's more talented then Elvis and has done more for the actual genre of rock 'n' roll music. If I was going to assess who is more deserving of the title, I would say Chuck Berry, hands down. Frankly, I don't care who has the title though, it can really be split between a number of artists who pioneered the music genre, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Frankie Lymon, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc...

Last edited:
Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, none of these guys, as great as they were, were pioneers of Rock and Roll. If there's any one person that is responsible for rock and roll, it's this guys...

Wynonie_Harris.jpg

This is his 1947 cover of "Good Rockin' Tonight":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gXpxf8iTC3k

The original, by Roy Brown, as just an R&B song and lacked the backbeat that Wynonie Harris's version had. Although Harris wasn't the first to sing blues with a gospel beat, as others like Big Joe Turner had been doing this for years, it was Harris' record that started the "rocking" fad in blues and R&B in the late 40's. After Harris' record, there was a massive wave of rocking blues tunes, and every black singer had a rocking blues record out by 1949 or 1950. It was a sweeping fad that changed R&B forever. "Rocking" was in, boogie woogie was out, and most R&B artists were trying like mad to out-rock each other. This new music had an extremely powerful beat.

Then from there, rock and roll really took off and you start getting record like Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" in 1951, which is often (IMO, inaccurately) called the first rock and roll song. The in 1954, you have records like "Shake, Rattle & Roll" by Big Joe Turner, "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley (the first international rock and roll hit) and "That's All Right (Mama)" by Elvis Presley. After 1954 rock and roll well and truly took over and become a worldwide phenomenon.

So Wynonie Harris, in my best estimation, was the guy who is most responsible for bringing about rock and roll. You can look through out history and find songs will "rock and roll" in its title, which way back was a term used by sailors to describe the rocking and rolling of the ship. And I don't know where it originated, but it also came to be a slang term for sex. As Michael pointed out to will.i.am. So you'll find traces of rock and roll through out the 20th century, but if you ask me, Wynonie Harris is the true pioneer of rock and roll.

elvis sucks he was an overweight racist drug addict...chuck is the king...

Back