Contemporary Smooth Jazz...

ladyplatinum

Proud Member
I saw the thread on JAZZ and I had to post one on Smooth Jazz. I absolutely love contemporary smooth jazz performances.

I love the new contemporary sounds of jazz better than the classic sounds of jazz.

I was wondering if anyone cared for the sound as much I do. It simply makes life a little easier sometimes when you don't want to be bothered with the hustle and bustle of everyday stuff. When I'm not listening to MICHAEL, one of these can be an antidote to calm my nerves.:D

A list of my favorites are:

Keiko Matsui- Japanese female keyboardist
Candy Dulfer- Dutch female saxophonist
Gerald Albright
Boney James
Brian Culbertson
Kirk Whalum
Paul Taylor
David Sanborn
Joe Sample
Philippe Saisse
Rick Braun
Art Porter
Bob James
Paul Jackson
Warren Hill
George Howard
Paul Hardcastle, JazzMasters

I like smooth jazz.. I don't own any jazz records but I listen to it often in the car..

Smooth jazz to me is one of the best jazz types to listen to.. However I do like this too: ;) can anyone tell what song that is?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LGBPSx1Zxlo

lol! not just that though, Miles Davis was the man..

Last edited:
Like you, listening to the radio in the car was where I first found out about Smooth Jazz. There was this new station that I happened to find one day and I fell in love with the music and started listening to it all the time, at work and at home.

I was amazed that I hadn't heard about many of the musicians before, but quickly learned their names and their hit tunes. You're right, it is the best type of Jazz in the genre, by far.

ya my parents listened to smooth jazz on the radio while I was younger.. Then it became a habbit for me to listen to it also, usually at night while driving home from work or whatever..

Then I got a stronger respect and understanding of Jazz after taking a Jazz history class..

I'll tell you there is some FUNKY jazz that I cannot understand.. It's all over the place. But I favor smooth jazz..

The Jazz musicians have the BEST ears. They are trained to here 2 more layers of music than other musicians. They can seperate them all and hear them, work on them, while others are lowed and over dominant..

It's amazing..

That's a large reason why Quincy was such a great aspect to MJ.. mixing Qunicy's amazing ear, and understanding of arrangement through Jazz and mixing Michael Pop/R&B flavor with his amazing vocals and writting skills.. OMG..

Kenny G & Chanté Moore ~ One More Time

Last edited:
Brian Culbertson went to school in Decatur, IL where I went to college! He's a cool gent! One of my favorites in the smooth jazz realm!

Here are some highlights from a concert. He's a great performer too!

July 18th, 2017 Jazz FM
596e09842f74e.jpg

Legendary composer, producer and bandleader Quincy Jones is launching a new Jazz video channel; he announced the news on stage at the Montreux Jazz Festival over the weekend. Qwest TV is a Franco-American project, claiming to be the world’s first paid video platform dedicated to jazz and jazz-inspired music forms. Subscriptions open on September 6th (the same day as an all-star tribute concert to Quincy at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles). Once the finances have been kickstarted, the broadcasts can begin later in the autumn.

Quincy said: “The dream of Qwest TV is to let jazz and music lovers everywhere experience these incredibly rich and diverse musical traditions in a whole new way. At my core, I am a bebopper, and over the course of my seventy-year career in music I have witnessed first-hand the power of jazz – and all of its off-spring from the blues and R&B to pop, rock and hip-hop, to tear down walls and bring the world together. I believe that a hundred years from now, when people look back at the 20th century, they will view Bird, Miles and Dizzy, as our Mozart, Bach, Chopin and Tchaikovsky, and it is my hope that Qwest TV will serve to carry forth and build on the great legacy that is jazz for many generations to come.”

[video=youtube;TBDWomgRgWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBDWomgRgWU[/video]

[video=youtube;FwYPm74aRzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYPm74aRzY[/video]

Back