If You had to choose between saving Neverland or the catalogue, which one would you choose?

Datsymay

Proud Member
I recently listened to the MJ interview with Jessie Jackson, held during the time of the trial. MJ was bound by a gag order, and was unable to expound on his answer to Jessie, when jessie asked him if he thought his problems were the result of him owning the catalogue.
MJ told Jessie that there was a BIG FIGHT going on at the moment and there was conspiracy all around him and he couldn't speak about it because of the gag order.

During the trial, it came out that John Branca was working with Sony and some bank was set up with conspiracy in mind against MJ.

I was most surprised and alarmed when I read that MJ had given Branca 5% of his share in the company. Knowing what I know about companies, I couldn't understand why MJ would have done that. It would have been better for him to pay in cash.
I believe MJ was banking on Branca's loyalty and support , but that didn't happen. I can't blame Branca, it was business, as I believe MJ is aware.

The problem with that is though that Branca siding with Sony, may have been the reason for the war that was going on at the time. MJ could have been housted from the catalogue desicions just by Branca aligning himself with Sony, which may be what happened.

After the court case, Branca, suddenly decided to sell his share, I wonder why, Did MJ force him to sell by virtue of having discovered malpractice on his part? Anyway, MJ would have had first refusal, as the share was from him.

Now here is the crunch. If MJ couldn't afford to buy Branca's share, the offer would have gone to Sony. That would have been disasterous to MJ because he would have permanently lost control of his catalogue to Sony, cause all sony needed was that 5% and they would have had overall control. MJ would have been relegated to a mere shareholder without any say in the company at all, and may even have been force to sell it.

MJ had to make a quick decision. He offered up Neverland as collateral to get the money to buy that 5%. It brought him back on level pegging with Sony and now he earns a salary from them and everything seems to be fine according to his CEO.
In my view, MJ sacrificed Neverland for the catalogue, which was far more valuable and worth saving.

What would you have done, facing the same situation.:2cents:

Last edited:
To be honest: I wouldn't know if I would have the strength to make such a decision. I am critical sometimes on Michaels decisions, but I do admire his endurance. I think I wouldn't know what to do. He has had to fight seriously for many things in recent years and I think they are somehow connected. I mean the Arviso case and the whole Bashir/Neverland/catalogue thing. There are dots to be connected if you ask me.

Having said that, I think I would choose to lose Neverland. It's not what it once was anymore. It's been violated and ravaged. That can be redone, but at the same time, the energy is not the same anymore. If he wants something like that again, maybe he can rebuild that somewhere else, a place with no bad memories. The catalogue can enable him to do so again in the future (perhaps).

That is an excellent answer, Hoofmark. Yes, MJ could rebuild Neverland but the catalogue was way more valuable and I believe he was about to lose it to Sony if he didn't buy back the 5% from Branca. Notice how things have began to settle down with the Catalogue and even he and Sony seems to be getting on fine now.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would think that MJ and his lawyers discovered something unlawful between Branca and Sony, as hinted at the trial. It is very likely that Branca may have been forced to sell.

Last edited:
save the music, MJ will have enough money to make another Neverland!!!!

Save the music indeed.

Do you mean John Branca?

CATALOGUE ...there's plenty of great spirit in Michael to build another home and safe haven for him and those close to him.

BOTH :ranting
Indeed, that is what he is trying to do Roxanne, but the catalogue was the immediate and more important issue. He had more to lose by losing that catalogue than losing Neverland.
When we put it all into perspective we can see why MJ isn't feeling down, but rather upbeat. He has been through a storm and everything is settling down again. Suddenly the issue with Neverland isn't as big as we all thought, MJ gambled with Neverland in order to save the Catalogue. he has saved the catalogue, now he can begin to fight for Neverland. Where is Dimity, when I need her. She could explain MJ's fight much better than I could.:D

Last edited:
i would not have given the 5% up to begin with but to get it back, I would have leveraged whatever I needed to :chichi:

I would keep the catalog. At the end of the day Neverland will always live on in Michael's heart, the spirit of it will always be with him.

I would keep the Catalogue. I would have purchased another estate anyway.

I just dont see why Michael keeps Neverland...applies for a few severences (Im sure he would get them since he is well liked in the area and of course he is Michael Jackson)... Then sell the severances..make a few million dollars and use that to buy a nice 2-3 million dollar estate in a place of his choice. That way he can retain ownership to Neverland...and get the cash to buy a brand new home for himself and kids. That way the expenses will be much less. Once he moves into the new house he can release a few albums...launch a few tours. 10 years from now he will have so much cash he will be able to pay off the Neverland loan 100% plus the loan on MIJAC catalogue and still be able to live on millions every year. He can solve his debt problem easily...all he has to do is get out there and start doin what he does best...entertain!

Obviously keep the catalong, it will allow him to built another Neverland if he wants to.
As to why doesn't he just sell Neverland, in the interview given the other day by LaToya she gave a simple explanation, it's part of him, he built it with such love and devotion that in a sense it will always be a part of him.

I'm a bit curious about the whole conspiracy about Neverland/Sneddon/Sony thing mentioned by Datsy, I just got an e-mail by William Wagener, you know that guy making the videos about the trial and he said this:

I told Willie, a close friend of MJJ, when it started, IN the COURT room,
that I was sure before hearing 1 witness, the Sssssnake Sssssnedon could
not get a conviction. It was NOT about molestation... it was about driving MJJ
to bankruptcy and if they could get him on just 1 misdemeanor, Debbie R. would
get custody AND NEVERLAND to raise the kids, and MJJ would have astronomical
child support.

Obviously keep the catalong, it will allow him to built another Neverland if he wants to.
As to why doesn't he just sell Neverland, in the interview given the other day by LaToya she gave a simple explanation, it's part of him, he built it with such love and devotion that in a sense it will always be a part of him.

I'm a bit curious about the whole conspiracy about Neverland/Sneddon/Sony thing mentioned by Datsy, I just got an e-mail by William Wagener, you know that guy making the videos about the trial and he said this:
Wow, very interesting indeed, MJ said there was conspiracy all around him but he couldn't speak about it.

I would keep the catalog. At the end of the day Neverland will always live on in Michael's heart, the spirit of it will always be with him.
I agree with you. Wherever Michael Jackson is, is Neverland. :yes:

Definately the catalogue cuz it will make all the next 'Neverlands' possible also and much more.

Well when Michael bought back that 5% of the catalogue, he cemented his position in Sony/atv. Notice a certain reporter never mention his losing it anymore. MJ secured his position with the mortgage fron Neverland. In a way we could say, he sacrificed Neverland for the catalogue, He gambled with Neverland. If he saves Neverland from all of this, he would have gambled well and won twice.

That is an excellent answer, Hoofmark. Yes, MJ could rebuild Neverland but the catalogue was way more valuable and I believe he was about to lose it to Sony if he didn't buy back the 5% from Branca. Notice how things have began to settle down with the Catalogue and even he and Sony seems to be getting on fine now.
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would think that MJ and his lawyers discovered something unlawful between Branca and Sony, as hinted at the trial. It is very likely that Branca may have been forced to sell.

Datsymay, great post!... this presents a good argument and another angle to look at what Michael has had to deal with...

and I agree with Hoofmark... that catalog is more valuable that Neverland...

The catalog hands down. MJ might not even be keeping Neverland because of any emotional attachment. He may simply be holding onto it so that when he sells it he can use the money to pay off loans. If he defaults on a loan or has the house repo'd, he won't have the advantage of applying the money to where he wants. Keeping Neverland could simply be a way to restructure his finances.

well isn't the catalogue only good for so long? the housing mess will clear up eventually. i'd like the ranch to b something he gives to his children and they can decide what to do w/ it.

as for the catalogue, i only like it cuz it means a dual partnership between him and sony meaning who cares if his end is making money, whatever sony brings in he gets half of so yay for mj

Back