The Soul thread

soul music elements are so spread out and varied in today's and yesterday's pop/underground/industry as a whole, it's surreal.

love the oldies (and still on the discovery path) but is there any room for ""nu"" soul in here?

i could spend days on this but here's Jay Dee, Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed remixing Brand New Heavie's Sometimes with Siedah

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ge9Mm_bf4UA

not at all the most obvious of the genre but it's the first tune that led me to obsessively explore the iconic producer and thence soul music as a whole, being a kid lost in bullshit radio rap and pop. it's a bit onto the funky side too as the original is acid jazz.

and of course:

358urgm.jpg

nothing better has been invented by man.

BNH isn't the same if N'Dea isn't in it. I'm glad she returned. They're currently recording their 2nd album since her rejoining. Although Siedah & Nicole Russo are cool. It's sort of like Van Halen. Sammy Hagar is alright, but it doesn't have that same spark without Diamond Dave.

This is one of my all time favorite singers Johnnie Taylor with one of his later singles Good Love
Good Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMvJVyHGSdI&fmt=18

Last edited:
I have to admit...I love soul music. But I don't know much about the genre. I got Sirius radio and I automatically turn to the Soul Town station. It seems to have a timelesness to it that not many other genres have. It's very long lasting, I believe.

Thank you for posting these videos. I don't know many of these artists and am now looking in to them. I live for finding new music.

I have to admit...I love soul music. But I don't know much about the genre. I got Sirius radio and I automatically turn to the Soul Town station. It seems to have a timelesness to it that not many other genres have. It's very long lasting, I believe.

Thank you for posting these videos. I don't know many of these artists and am now looking in to them. I live for finding new music.

I like different types of music, but R&B/soul is my 1st love because this is what my mom and other relatives played. This music stands because there was real musicianship and real singers. Today's R&B is just somebody programming some beats and having a flashy video. The popular "singers" don't stand out. There's people like Jill Scott or Donnie today, but they don't get as much recognition because they're "old fashioned" to younger people or not thin. Someone like Barry White wouldn't make it today. Back then, you didn't need to be pretty or skinny or do aerobics to get attention for your records. The music itself sold you.

no matter what the sound or climate if you have the songs then you will be heard. alot of Soul Music from back in the day got taken for granted and once cross over became the way to go then things changed but Soul was always there and there is still alot of talent out here, you just gotta look and seek it out. good references above though peace.

We have awesome radio station here in Finland called Groove Fm.
It plays only soul music and I love it! :yes:

lately i've been digging up on Marsha Ambrosius and found some nice outside writing connections to tunes i always admired.

co-writing with a cameo in Eric Roberson's She Ought To Know:

Jill Scott's Love Again

and Bilal's You Are (1-dimensional talent, but he's a great singer):

and also found one hidden Floetry gem that should have been released big:

(called And I Hope)

yeah it's kind of an "all-star" jamming session by Dave Sanborn. Marcus Miller on bass too.. crazy collabs.

find more of the same show on YouTube - search 'sanborn friends'

another D'Angelo tribute, this one's for Stevie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeoQlUA6cV0

Last edited:
^ yeah D'Angelo's got some great obscure tracks. that one's of my favs too, he should consider re-recording and updating it. but nothing compares to Spanish Joint for me (got a piano demo that just makes you realise the influence from Stevie's Don't You Worry).

and Dwele's got some great tracks too even though his best known is a cover lol but a cover of my fav Stevie tune.

Spacek - Eve

Back