What's so cheesy about music from the 80's?

analogue

Proud Member
Why is that everytime music from the 80's is brought up in a conversation people always say ''Oh 80's music is so cheesy''? Now i see nothing cheesy about it atall, infact i see lots of great songs

If anything today's music is way more cheesy than 80's music.

^^^I agree, nothing is cheesy about the 80's music at all... heck yeah today's music is more chessy than the 80's music!!!

mainly the association with pop culture and image

10mph84.jpg

along with the fact that just about every Pop producer prominently used the same bloody drum machine, a handful of synths and keyboard preset in every song.

I LOVE the eighties music! :D YEAH! I mean there were different kinds of music just like now, if people are referring to the cheesy music of the eighties, then they are right but there was a LOT of great music then, too! I really love the synthesizer (?) sound :D

I love the 80's, the music, the culture, everything about it. It was such a fun time in our history. I agree that today's music is much cheezier but the problem is that we are still in this decade and don't have the gift of hindsight yet.

I love the 80's, the music, the culture, everything about it. It was such a fun time in our history. I agree that today's music is much cheezier but the problem is that we are still in this decade and don't have the gift of hindsight yet.

Even though im a 90s kid i wish i could have been an 80s one as this is the time of the berlin wall coming down, and also from vids i have seen of it it looks so happy and positive, including the films, like home alone and things. And synthesizers i love, the Beverly Hills Cop music, i love it, why did crazy frog freaking muck that goodness up?

^^ heheh yup... I really wish I could have grown up in the 80's I was born in 1987 ugh... I wish I was like a teen in the 80's, because I LOVE the 80's, the style fasinates me for some reason and the music too!:)

I think the reason why today's music scene is so cheesy is because alot of today's singers are so hell bent on ''being hard'' and ''keeping it real'' that they've forgotten about the fun in music and by alot of today's singers being so hell bent on ''keeping it real'' their making themselves look cheesy and pathetic

aside from a few acts the 80's were super cheesy IMO and I was there. the synths and Programmed beats with the arrival of MTV sucked alot of the Soul out of R&B and things got real gneric and corny.80-84 was tight and after that things got hit and alot of MIss IMO.

Maybe the really Poppish Teen sound. 80's culture has been sculpted in Modern culture by the antics and actions pulled in the 80'S.
Things such as Jheri Curls, Shiny Clothing, Bubblegum Pop, and Candy laced personality.

80's Music was sculpted a lot by BubbleGum Pop. Synthesizers, Wild Clothing, Jheri Curls, Cotton Candy, etc. all shaped the 80's in modern culture.

I liked the 80s and don't think it's cheesy, except for I Saw Him Standing There by Tiffany. :p I didn't care for much music made after 1990.

Last edited:
I love 80's music! :wild: And I didn't even live back then.

I grew up in the 80s, this decade will always be special to me, I loved the music, though I agree that some of the fashion, hairstyle etc. was horrible. I consider the 80s to be the last good decade in music. In the 90s everything went downhill.

I grew up in the 1980's and the music from that decade wasn't cheesy. Like the 1950's, 60's and 70's it had it's far share of cheesy songs but on the whole the music was brilliant. Plus the 1980's was the last great decade for surprise, innovation in music, and youth culture. It was only in the mid to late 1980's that music became very safe (except for music by Michael Jackson and Prince), but from 1980-84 the 1980's was amazing musically.

It's a fact that era we live in now is trying to be the 1980's. Hip Hop is 1980's music, so is Indie, Dance and Electronica. Dance styles like Lockin and break dancing are featured in many music videos from current stars, and that's 1980's dancing. The 1980's is also considered by many to be the greatest decade for Singles.

For me the 1990's is the worst decade for music. That is the decade of no substance, and the decade of where over hyping average talents started.

I agree, I love 80's music!!
I must admit that some of it was cheesy though... but there were more of them that aren't cheesy:D
And what's wrong with being a little cheesy?
This song it pretty cheesy but it makes me sooo happy!:D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U86MVqiKuZE

Popcorn love honey!!! Now where does that kick at 1:30 come from :D

Yeah, cheesy but cool feel good music !!!

Last edited:
It was only in the mid to late 1980's that music became very safe (except for music by Michael Jackson and Prince), but from 1980-84 the 1980's was amazing musically.

For me the 1990's is the worst decade for music. That is the decade of no substance, and the decade of where over hyping average talents started.

I think so too. I'm happy that the hyping of average talents is on the decline now.

there is absolutely nothing cheesy about it.

the 80's music rocks. anyone who denies it is crazy.

i love some 80's music i born in 1980 i think only cheezy about the 80's was the hair
The hair and fashions then were unique, unlike the "pants on the ground" prison look that's been around for years now.

I don't think it's any less cheesy than today's music. 80's hair metal, however, is absolute cheese. Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant... It's all pretty ridiculous.

I always thought Lionel Richie was pretty cheesy too. Dancing on the Ceiling anyone?

Why is that everytime music from the 80's is brought up in a conversation people always say ''Oh 80's music is so cheesy''? Now i see nothing cheesy about it atall, infact i see lots of great songs

It's not the music that's cheesy, it's the pop culture and fashion associated with it.

The 80's had the best music although the video was still in its infancy at the time. MJ shot it into maturity singlehandedly.

I totally agree with you. I grew up in the 80s and to me the 80s was the best decade for music. I grew up listening to people like Genesis, The Bangles, Bananarama, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, along with many others. Michael Jackson and Madonna were my number 1 favorite singers back then. Michael still is of course my number 1 favorite male singer. I would rather listen to great 80s music instead of the garbage that is played on the radio today. I just L.O.V.E. every single thing about the 80s. There was nothing cheesy about the 80s at all. The music, the hair styles, and the fashions were the best things about the 80s to me. I just wish I could relive that great decade again.

Along with the greats, the 80s did have it's fair slice of cheese.

But the 'cheese' was great pop music. Even most of the stuff that came out the Stock, Aitken & Waterman stable was brilliant pop music even if cheaply produced & manufactured. Wham were cheesy but made fantastic pop and the song-writing of a young George Michael was a sign of things to come.

Then there was a huge batch of Euro-pop in the form of Sam Fox, Spagna, Sabrina etc. However the 1980s was the last true decade of superstars.

One decade where acts such as:
PRINCE
MADONNA
MICHAEL JACKSON
GEORGE MICHAEL
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

all came into their own. I know most of them started in the '70s but it was the 80s where they exploded. They could fill stadia all over the world and the music world would foam at the mouth for their next release.

Back to the original point, horrendous 80s fashions didn't help but I think on the whole the 1980s are looked back rather fondly in terms of music.

Back