Genesis

DuranDuran

Proud Member
2vvj2wk.jpg

Genesis I think makes a lot of interesting music. Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, & Mike Rutherford are great musicians also. Trivia - Phil Collins was an extra in The Beatles movie 'A Hard Day's Night" when he was around 13. He also played congas on George Harrison's 1st solo album.

Mama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huXh3M7bCs4&fmt=18
The Musical Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60W5tDhfDUE&fmt=18
Fountain of Salmacis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Vo_rAryoY
Jesus He Knows Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZq9hiuCJo&fmt=18
No Reply At All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2vKbhPIJMo&fmt=18
The Serpent (This track is from their 1st album released in 1969, recorded in their late teens. Also this is with Anthony Phillips & Chris Stewart, who were in the group pre-Hackett & Collins.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRn91TMe5U&fmt=18

Last edited:
Sweet...they rock..! One of my favorite albums is "Trick of the Tale"

Last edited:
Phil was in another group in the late 1970s called Brand X, which performed jazz rock. Genesis had one of the more successful tours of last year. Originally they were going out as the 5 piece and had some meetings about it, but Peter decided he didn't want to do a long tour. Since Peter declined, Steve bowed out as well, since he figured the 3 guy version was the most popular version of the group and it didn't make much sense for him to be in it without Peter.

not that big of a fan but i found Steve Hacket's 'Genesis Revisited' in a charity shop some time ago and bought it purely because i saw bassist Pino Palladino on credits but actually enjoyed most of the album.

other tracks i like are Los Endos, Waiting Room Only and Watcher of the Skies (though original is better).

not that big of a fan but i found Steve Hacket's 'Genesis Revisited' in a charity shop some time ago and bought it purely because i saw bassist Pino Palladino on credits but actually enjoyed most of the album.

other tracks i like are Los Endos, Waiting Room Only and Watcher of the Skies (though original is better).
I've never really heard Steve's solo music. I've heard a few of Tony Banks solo things. Of course I've heard Phil & Peter, as well as Mike and the Mechanics & Brand X. I have a couple of Brand X albums.

Genesis are one of my favorite bands. I have all their albums, and there honestly isn't one of them I don't like (including the last one "Calling All Stations", which I thought was much better and deserved more praise than it got.)

I've never really heard Steve's solo music. I've heard a few of Tony Banks solo things. Of course I've heard Phil & Peter, as well as Mike and the Mechanics & Brand X. I have a couple of Brand X albums.

You should, Steve is an amazing solo artist. I'd say he's the second most creative Genesis member other than Peter. Out of his albums, I'd recommend getting the first four (Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, and Defector.) Guitar Noir, Darktown, Wild Orchids, and To Watch The Storms are also essential.

A lot of people consider Voyage to be a lost Genesis album, since Mike plays guitar on it and shares some of the songwriting credits, and Phil sang one of the songs and plays drums on the album. It also has a similar feel to Wind & Wuthering and Trick Of The Tail.

Last edited:
Genesis are one of my favorite bands. I have all their albums, and there honestly isn't one of them I don't like (including the last one "Calling All Stations", which I thought was much better and deserved more praise than it got.)

You should, Steve is an amazing solo artist. I'd say he's the second most creative Genesis member other than Peter. Out of his albums, I'd recommend getting the first four (Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings, and Defector.) Guitar Noir, Darktown, Wild Orchids, and To Watch The Storms are also essential.

A lot of people consider Voyage to be a lost Genesis album, since Mike plays guitar on it and shares some of the songwriting credits, and Phil sang one of the songs and plays drums on the album. It also has a similar feel to Wind & Wuthering and Trick Of The Tail.
I didn't know he had that many

I've liked Genesis since I was a kid. I think they're one of the best groups of all time. I wish they would get back together and make a new album.

Last edited:
I love Genesis, Phil Collins and Mike & The Mechanics. Peter Gabriel is great too. Would love to see those guys in concert.

I got to see Mike from Mike & The Mechanics a few years ago when he was touring with Ringo Starr and his allstar band. "The Living Years" is awesome live!

Genesis, always loved them. Doesn't Phil now have some serious hearing problems? It kind of surprises me about going on tour a year or two ago, perhaps whatever is/was wrong was remedied to some degree.

(now keeps hearing Phil singing "tonight tonight" in my head:doh::D)

sidenote about Mike- don't know if he still tours with Ringo, but, Ringo and his AllStar Band played here this past summer, it truly was amazingly good, sold out, got outstanding reviews from everyone. I drove by the outdoor stage in the afternoon while he was out rehearsing. Quite frankly I was amazed at just how good his voice really was/is live. The show that night ended with him and his band/people singing John's "Give Peace A Chance". Gave me goose bumps hearing several thousand people singing along with it, and I live about 4 blocks away. I guess it goes to show how powerful and nostalgic some songs from that era still are.

Last edited:
Genesis, always loved them. Doesn't Phil now have some serious hearing problems? It kind of surprises me about going on tour a year or two ago, perhaps whatever is/was wrong was remedied to some degree.
I don't know, it's possible. Lots of musicians tend to develop ear ailments. Years of standing in front of huge amps & speakers, or a drum kit isn't good for your ears. I've read that Sting & Ozzy Osbourne have hearing problems.

Brand X ~ -Ish
[youtube]22taCC5ZebU&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Genesis_1970_1975_SACD_box_set.jpg

One word...awesome!

Nick Davis has really done a great job on the remastering of all the albums. I thought the first two boxsets sounded good, but this one is stellar; the sound is so clear that it's almost like hearing the band perform the songs in front of you. And there are bits and pieces that weren't present in the mix before that are crystal clear now, and every album sounds fuller and richer. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, especially, is a great remaster.

And then there's the Jackson tapes, which are very interesting. And the live footage, which is incredible, and the interviews as well.

Even if you're not a huge Genesis fan, it's worth investing in this boxset. The packaging is really nice as well. :)

Last edited:
Chapter & Verse

51CMoJVf2IL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Everytime someone mentions "a bible" they are talking about an essential book. The bible is the point of reference, every topic, every larger area has its own “bible”. Amongst the Genesis biographies there is the definitive bible by Armando Gallo – which has just one single flaw of continuously standing in ist own way by uncovering just one part of the whole picture. For the first time in many years a serious contender for the “bible” spot pretender that could topple Gallo’s book from its throne. Simply called Chapter & Verse in the original version, translations bear slightly clumsy but very self-confident titles such as The Book of GENESIS.

The book was published because of the big marketing machine that accompanied the reunion of the Genesis core of Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford. Its release had been announced in March. This is not simply another biography of the band. Genesis themselves have contributed to this book which makes it the authorised version. But it is not really a biography.
Chapter & Verse follows a similar approach like the In Their Own Words series from a couple of years back (a book about Peter Gabriel was released in it). Quotes by the band members and people close to them are the foundation for this book, but it is more than that: it is the legitimation. There is no narrative in this book, the editors have confined themselves to an introduction in which they state that the book does not claim completeness, but “it is all real.”

The book is never objective. How could it? It tells the story of the band as it was – in the words of the protagonists. The book does not sort it all nicely into any sort of context, and if it does, it is through the eyes of the band. Nobody can really check whether everything the gentlemen tell us is really absolutely true. Despite – or because – of that it is an almost comprehensive chronology of the band’s history from the personal view of the musicians. Besides the band some of their companions can be heard, too, e.g. Richard Macphail, Tony Smith and the late Ahmet Ertegun.
The book features many photos in black and white as well as in color.
There are also special dossiers about important people in the band history where these people explain how they came into contact with Genesis and talk about peculiar and special things. The list of people whose words were included in this book is most impressive: First of all, it is Genesis themselves, alphabetically from 1967 to 2007: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips, Steve Hackett, Ray Wilson, Chris Stewart, John Silver and John Mayhew. Then there are further musicians and companions: Ronnie Caryl, Bill Bruford, Chester Thompson, Daryl Stuermer, Nir Zidkyahu, Jonathan King, Gail Colson, Ed Goodgold, Nancy Lewis, Nick Davis, Hugh Padgam and Rusty Brutsche. Only a couple of names are missing, e.g. David Hentschel, John Burns or Nick D'Virgilio.

The reader will notice that there is a slight focus – the early years are given a lot of room. That is no disadvantage at all. The book will have many readers who have discovered Genesis only recently and who will use this book as a tour guide on their “little trip back”.
There is a plethora of details, almost every event mentioned in the book is covered by several statements. An example: Phil plays his Genesis colleagues his own material for the first time (during the Duke sessions). Phil is positive that he also played them In The Air Tonight, Tony disagrees explaining that he would never have rejected such a good song and Mike thinks that the song had not even been written by then.
The individual statements and interjections by the companions are very illuminating. Chris Stewart mentions that Phil once planned to take him on as a tour musician; Bill Bruford looks back at his time with Genesis calmly and merrily suggests “Care to give it another try, guys?” Producers Nick Davis and Hugh Padgham concur that working for Genesis in the 90s was not very good for their own career – there was a time, after all, when Genesis were not in fashion.

In this manner we are presented with several points of view about crucial moments in the history of Genesis – and it seems that there is no single real truth. The book tells its story up to the 2007 reunion, right up to the dress rehearsal in Brussels, Belgium, and also features a couple of photos from the tour.
It is a bit unfortunate that a couple of photos from the We Can’t Dance tour were mirrored. This also happened in translated editions of the book. When the reader has finished this book they will feel slightly disappointed that it ended – the reason perhaps being the odd feeling that the story of Genesis is not over yet…

Publishing this opus magnum of more than 360 pages and many photos is perfectly appropriate. Yes, there can be no doubt – Chapter & Verse is the new standard work, the new bible for all Genesis fans. It is a must have, and hardcore fans will enjoy it as much as newcomers who are only beginning to discover Genesis.

I am an absolutely HUGE Genesis fan. In particular when before Peter Gabriel left the band. I loved the progressive and experimental rock feel the band was exploring before they became more commercial. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is an absolute masterpiece. I'm a huge fan of prog so this era was just amazing for me. I still love Phil Collin's very much! He's how I got into Genesis in the first place. But some very very talented musicians there who created some amazing music.

I am an absolutely HUGE Genesis fan. In particular when before Peter Gabriel left the band. I loved the progressive and experimental rock feel the band was exploring before they became more commercial. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is an absolute masterpiece. I'm a huge fan of prog so this era was just amazing for me. I still love Phil Collin's very much! He's how I got into Genesis in the first place. But some very very talented musicians there who created some amazing music.
A lot of 70s era fans trash the 80s Genesis and a lot of the "Invisible Touch" era fans either don't know about the early lineup or if they do, they think the music is weird & don't understand it. But if the 1980s era hadn't happened or if the group broke up after Peter and then Steve left, no one would have heard of them today. The 5 man "classic" lineup was just a cult band and never really sold much while they were together.

A lot of 70s era fans trash the 80s Genesis and a lot of the "Invisible Touch" era fans either don't know about the early lineup or if they do, they think the music is weird & don't understand it. But if the 1980s era hadn't happened or if the group broke up after Peter and then Steve left, no one would have heard of them today. The 5 man "classic" lineup was just a cult band and never really sold much while they were together.

I'm not denying that I don't like one era or the other. I LOVE both eras! But to be honest there was greater depth and music artistry in their earlier work. Just because a band doesn't sell as much to a commercial/mass market doesn't denounce the quality of the music created. Songs like Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Selling England By The Pound, The Cinema Show - they just blow you away! 80's Genesis definately moved away from that but still created some amazing songs - my favourites being - Misunderstanding, Your Own Special Way, Keep It Dark, Follow You Follow Me and of course Hold On My Heart. Plus I'm a HUGE Phil Collins fan. Both eras provides different and beautiful styles and quality of music! So you can't lose if you're trying to get into Genesis! :)

Back