Rush

Possibly my favorite band of all time. Did anybody see them on the Colbert Report? They rocked the house. :D

My favorite period of the band are the early 70s and 80s albums, although I did enjoy Snakes & Arrows and Vapor Trails, too.

I thought Rush was a band for nerds. :p I don't know a lot about their music, but I have one of their hits collections.

Well then call me a nerd. :D

I think it's usually a case of some peeps disliking Geddy Lee's voice. I personally don't mind it, he sings in a very expressive manner. But I can see how some peeps might not like it.

Of course here in Canada I think Rush is fairly popular, being a Canadian band. In any case, I like Lee's bass playing for sure, and Neil Peart is known for having fine skill on drums.

These are some of my fav tunes-

The Trees
Time Stands Still
Freewill
Xanadu
Fly By Night
The Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Red Barchetta
Tom Sawyer

Too bad I missed them on the Colbert show. :( Didn't even know they would be on.

I think they had something new out, and I think I heard and liked it. Will have a looksee.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h59mDlBSt7o&fmt=18&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h59mDlBSt7o&fmt=18&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics, but I think this song is really interesting.
[youtube]NAvywcT1gdU[/youtube]

by Paul Sexton October 5, 2018
Rush-Hemispheres-Exploded-3D-Packshot-web-optimised-1000.jpg

release date: Nov. 16, 2018

The 40th anniversary celebrations of the revered catalogue of Canadian titans Rush will continue with the 16 November release by UMe/Anthem/ole label group of new, multi-format editions of their classic 1978 album Hemispheres.

The configurations for the new releases will be a Super Deluxe Editions, 3LP and 2CD Deluxe Editions and a Deluxe Digital Edition. The Super Deluxe version boasts two CDs, an exclusive Blu-ray Audio disc and three high-quality 180 gram black vinyl LPs. This set encompasses the Abbey Road Studios remaster of Hemispheres from 2015, appearing on CD for the first time, accompanied by previously unreleased, newly restored bonus content in the form of Rush’s performance at Pinkpop Festival in the Netherlands in June 1979.

Since the recording engineer omitted to capture the opening minutes of the band’s performance of ‘2112,’ an exceptional version of the song performed during the Hemispheres tour in Tucson, Arizona in November 1978 appears in its place. The third bonus disc consists of the original album newly mixed from the multitrack masters in 5.1 surround sound on a Blu-ray Audio disc; four bonus videos are also included, three shot in 1978 as promotional videos and one of ‘La Villa Strangiato,’ originally shot at Pinkpop, with newly restored stereo audio.

The Super Deluxe Edition of Hemispheres —40th Anniversary will also have such exclusive items as a 40-page hardcover book with unreleased photos and new artwork by the original album designer, Hugh Syme; an 11,000+-word essay by Rob Bowman; The Words & The Pictures, a replica of the band’s rare 1979 UK tour programme; a 24×24-inch wall poster of the newly created Syme art; a Pinkpop Festival replica ticket; a Pinkpop Festival replica cloth VIP sticky pass; and a replica 1978 Rush Hemispheres iron-on patch.

The two-CD Deluxe Edition digipak includes the newly remastered Hemispheres album; the Pinkpop Festival performance and that of ‘2112’ from the Tucson show; a 28-page booklet with unreleased photos and new artwork by Syme; and an edited, 5,700-word version of Bowman’s essay.

The audiophile black vinyl 180-gram three-LP Deluxe Edition features the same audio content as the two-CD edition, housed in a slipcase with double-gatefold packaging, along with a 24-page booklet with unreleased photos and Syme’s new artwork plus the 5,700-word version of Bowman’s liner notes. Gatefold 1 features the original album with Syme’s 40th anniversary artwork, and gatefold 2 has the Pinkpop Festival and Tucson bonus content. A 5×5-inch digital download card sticker of Syme’s new 40th anniversary art is also included. The Deluxe Digital Edition is the digital equivalent of the two-CD Deluxe Edition.

The album, Rush’s sixth studio release, was first released in October 1978 as the follow-up to 1977’s much-admired A Farewell To Kings. Hemispheres opened with ‘Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres,’ which took up all of side 1 on the original release as the continuation of the track that ended A Farewell To Kings, ‘Cygnus X-1.’ Side 2 featured the commentary on English culture of ‘Circumstances,’ the socially aware FM radio hit ‘The Trees’ and the instrumental tour de force ‘La Villa Strangiato.’

“Hemispheres was one of our most challenging and demanding records to make,” says Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson. “From its inception in a Wales farmhouse where it was written over a four-week span to the very difficult mixing sessions in two London recording studios, it stands as a key transitional album in Rush’s long recording history.”

SUPER DELUXE EDITION

CD – DISC 1
Original Album – Produced by Rush and Terry Brown
1. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres
2. Circumstances
3. The Trees
4. La Villa Strangiato
CD – DISC 2
Live at Pinkpop Festival – June 4, 1979
1. A Passage To Bangkok*
2. Xanadu*
3. The Trees*
4. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres – The Sphere A Kind Of Dream*
5. Closer To The Heart*
6. La Villa Strangiato*
7. In The Mood*
8. Drum Solo*
9. Something For Nothing*
Live in Arizona – November 20, 1978
10. 2112*
BLU-RAY AUDIO – DISC 3
96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Mix
96kHz 24-bit Original Stereo Analog 2015 Remaster
1. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres*
2. Circumstances*
3. The Trees*
4. La Villa Strangiato*
Bonus Promo Videos
48kHz 24-bit Stereo Only
1. Circumstances (1978 Promo Video)*
2. The Trees (1978 Promo Video)*
3. La Villa Strangiato (1978 Promo Video)*
4. La Villa Strangiato (Live at Pinkpop Festival: June 4, 1979)*

3-LP VINYL
LP 1 – SIDE A
LP 1 – SIDE B
1. Circumstances
2. The Trees
3. La Villa Strangiato
LP 2 – SIDE C
1. A Passage To Bangkok*
2. Xanadu*
LP 2 – SIDE D
1. The Trees*
2. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres – The Sphere A Kind Of Dream*
3. Closer To The Heart*
4. La Villa Strangiato*
LP 3 – SIDE E
1. In The Mood*
2. Drum Solo*
3. Something For Nothing*
LP 3 – SIDE F
1. 2112*

2CD DELUXE EDITION / DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION
DISC 1
2. Circumstances
3. The Trees
4. La Villa Strangiato
DISC 2
1. A Passage To Bangkok*
2. Xanadu*
3. The Trees*
4. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres – The Sphere A Kind Of Dream*
5. Closer To The Heart*
6. La Villa Strangiato*
7. In The Mood*
8. Drum Solo*
9. Something For Nothing*
1. 2112*

*Previously unreleased

Geddy Lee Gives Update on Future Music Plans

by Dave Lifton December 4, 2018 Ultimate Classic Rock
Geddy-Lee.jpg

Geddy Lee is busy promoting his just-published tribute to his instrument, Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass. After that, the Rush bassist revealed in a new interview, he expects to rededicate himself to music. But he has no idea what he's going to do or a set time frame for any release date.

"I go down to my studio, which I do, and I play these bass guitars because I have quite a few of them and they're fun to play," he told Prog (via Cygnus-X1). "I like to keep my fingers in shape. When I play, ideas come out, so I record them and then I forget about them. When I go back to them, I'm sure half of them will be shit and I'll erase them. But I fully intend to go down one day and see what I've gathered down there. Once I've finished promoting this book, I do hope to become a musician again! But I have no idea what form that will take. I have no plans and I don't know where I'm headed."

Lee also spoke more about the book, which comes out today. It features 408 pages dedicated to the bass, with lots of pictures of the instrument throughout the years and interviews with such notable musicians as Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones, Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones and U2's Adam Clayton. Lee said that he enjoyed getting to learn the stories that come along with the basses.

"Part of the beauty of doing the book and having this collection is that you have all the amazing stories that go along with these instruments, and I think they're interesting," he said. "Other people may not. I think it's nice when you get an instrument that someone has played for 40 years and he has made a life with that instrument. That's a story. So to me, these basses represent the artfulness of the middle of the 20th century. They represent the people that made a living playing them and using them. And that to me is pretty cool."

Even though Lee doesn't have any concrete musical plans, his Rush bandmate Alex Lifeson does. Last month, the guitarist said he's collaborating with drummer Marco Minnemann on a new project, but no release date has been announced yet.

by Variety Staff January 10, 2020
neil-peart-dead.jpg

Neil Peart, the legendary drummer of Rush, has died, according to an announcement from the band. He was 67. The cause of death, according to a spokesperson, was brain cancer. Peart passed on Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica.

One of the most innovative drummers in rock history, Peart was famous for his state-of-the-art drum kits — more than 40 different drums were not out of the norm — precise playing style and onstage showmanship. He joined Rush in 1974, after the band’s cofounders, bassist/singer Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson, had released one self-titled album.

The addition of Peart, whose technical chops and use of melodic percussion instruments — vibes, chimes and later synthesized percussion — vastly expanded the band’s musical palette, and he soon assumed the role of the band’s lyricist as well; he was famously influenced by science-fiction and particularly Ayn Rand, author of “The Fountainhead” and “Atlas Shrugged.” The band embarked on a series of increasingly elaborate albums whose lyrics and storylines were as sophisticated as their growing musical ambitions. “Necromancer,” a conceptual song on their 1975 album “Caress of Steel,” paved the way for the full-blown 1976 concept album “2112,” a dystopian tale about a future society without music.

While the band continued to hew a combination of heavy metal and progressive rock throughout the ’70s, by the end of the decade they began the first of several musical transformations, showing the influence of The Police and more musicianly new wave acts like Ultravox. Surprisingly, this resulted in the band’s most commercially successful era, with 1979’s “Permanent Waves” and 1980’s “Moving Pictures” spawning hit singles like “Spirit of the Radio” and “Tom Sawyer.”

Over the next 15 years, Rush admirably declined to become a heritage act and continually challenged themselves and overhauled their sound, dropping the hard rock and high vocals that marked their early material and pursuing more keyboard-based arrangements and different musical styles.

The Canadian band played a final tour in 2015 culminating in a final show at the Forum in Los Angeles.

Peart first picked up drummer at 13 years old. “I got a pair of sticks, a practice pad, and lessons,” he said in 2012, adding that his parents told him, “’Once you show that you’re going to stick with it for a year, then we’ll get drums.’ Fair enough.”

Often used as a punchline in movies and pop culture, Rush was among the biggest bands of the last 50 years, selling millions of albums in a career that spanned 19 studio albums and multiple live collections as well as elaborate box sets.

According to the RIAA, Rush’s album sales statistics put them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum albums by a rock band. Rush also ranks 79th in US album sales with 25 million units. Worldwide, the band has moved over 40 million units.

Peart is survived by his wife, Carrie Nuttal, and daughter Olivia.

This is probably the saddest I've been about a celeb dying since Michael :(

Back