Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Re-releases/Deluxe Editions/Special Editions/ Repackages..etc...

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Album Re-releases/Deluxe Editions/Special Editions/ Repackages..etc...

Though the concept and release of re-released albums may piss off some fans, to the artists benefit, they most of the time seem like a good idea and usually succeed.. Actually, maybe not so much the album itself but the singles they release of of the new editions of their albums. I just observed a trend with pop artists that re-release their already successful albums and find even more success in doing so.

Examples:
    - Usher "Confessions: Special Edition" - the newly recorded "My Boo" w/ ALica Keys was #1 on the charts

- Mariah Carey "Emancipation of Mimi: Deluxe/Platinum Edition" - the newly recorded "Dont Forget About Us" reached number (making it her 17th number 1 and tieing her with Elvis for most number 1s)

- Rihanna "Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded" - "Take A Bow" reached number 1 and also set records

- Beyonce "B'Day: Deluxe Edition" - "Beautiful Liar" with Shakira skyrocketed to #3. One of the highest jumps on the Hot 100.

- Chris Brown "Exclusive: Forever Edition" - "Forever" currently sits at #2 on the Hot 100

- Jessica Simpson "In This Skin: Re-release" - The single "With You" became her biggest hit yet

Anyone see a pattern???? maybe this method really works and keeps their albums releavant long enough to be considered one of the greatest albums theyve produced.

~Lindsey~

Default Re: Album Re-releases/Deluxe Editions/Special Editions/ Repackages..etc...

I used to hate it when one of my favourite artist's did that with an album but I can understand the plus sides to it. I don't hate it so much now however, because you now have the option of downloading the new songs- where as you used to buy the disc and then be thinking how do i get the extra songs without buying all the single cds-which were a pain because you used to have to keep swapping the discs in your cd player lol I don't know whether its right though because i just think shouldn't you be trying to make the best album possible? It is planned that the artist will release the album then in a few weeks release the album again with the extra songs. I understand that they do it to as an extra push to the album to keep it relevant but I don't understand why they should have to do it. Seems a bit like a money making scheme-the fans buy the album when its first released then-as stupid as it is sometimes they want to buy the album again just for the extra songs and artwork. I know the download option is available but I still like to have the disc with them on. Maybe I'm just fussy.

I think what I'm trying to say is the artist should make the best album they can to start with so they don't need to rerelease and make money out of their fans. Artists didn't do that in the past so why do they need to now maybe feeding us what they class as the worst songs they have made or maybe we should all wait before buying an album when its released and wait maybe a few weeks or 2 months down the line because so many artists rerelease their album. Just alittle annoying.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Album Re-releases/Deluxe Editions/Special Editions/ Repackages..etc...

it's tacky and cheap and those albums aren't classics. they sell alot of records true and have hits and videos,but which one of those are classics again? also all you get is maybe 2-3 extra cuts which at most are cute but not memorable because if they were they would have made the album in the first place.

i say the album gotta be at least 5 years old to do that kind of mess. they gotta be a album that earned that re-release tag not something tacky just to stick a song or two on with a remix. that is tacky and thank goodness for being able to buy a track as to having to pay 10-20 dollars all over again.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

i use to hate but..lookin @ it from the business side its a great idea...and it adds on sales to the album lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0XD5WmxUM <--- "The Way You make Me Feel Live Vs Video. Check it Out!

FOR YOU'RE ALWAYS,IN MY HEART
    ITS 2009 AND MICHAEL AND I ARE IN TOUR MODE
    MICHAEL IM COMIN 2 JAM WITH U ON JULY 13TH,2009

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It pisses me off sometimes, but not when they're re-releasing it with a remastered sound. An example of this is the band Genesis, who just remastered their whole catalogue, and the remasters sound so much better than the originals, that I've thrown out the older versions.

However, when it's Thriller being released for the 100th time and with the same quality, that tends to get on my nerves a bit.

Rest in peace, Michael. Teach the angels to moonwalk.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I think it depends on the quality (improvement through remastering) and on the new/extra/special material.

U2 released their Joshua Tree Anniversary Edition last year and it was a HUGE improvement compared to the original album, plus the album came in a deluxe boxset with unreleased stuff, b-sides and a previously unreleased concert dvd, plus photos and writings from band members and other people. They also re-released their first three albums from the early 80s some months ago, all three of them came in box sets with extra material and with digitally remasterd albums. U2 fans, who are usually very critical of everything the band does, embraced the releases almost in unison and found most of the material great.

I think if artists release something like this, there has to be a real improvement and additional, unreleased and/or special material. Plus I only think it makes sense if the original albums are classics and at least 10-15 years old. The artists are trying to make their older music available for a new generation of fans, which is understandable.

I like releases like that more than the same old Best Of Compliations.
    I think that we have developed an industry of would-be experts who are not professional, who are not experienced, who are very amateurish about their comments about what's going on in courtrooms and who are willing to give opinions when they're not even there. And I think it has become the theater of the absurd, and I think it reached its lowest level in this case.
    Thomas Mesereau on Larry King Live 05/06/14

Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 925 Posts

Depeche Mode has also re-released all of their albums with remastered sound, with added b-sides that were with singles from the particular album, and a DVD with comments and videos. There was also The Beatles "Yellow Submarine" album from a few years ago. The songs were remixed into full stereo, and the George Martin score songs were dumped and replaced with all of the Beatle songs that were in the film, and not just the songs that were specifically recorded for it like the original album.
    Last edited by DuranDuran; 10-08-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default From Genesis To Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by FinalEyes View Post
    It pisses me off sometimes, but not when they're re-releasing it with a remastered sound. An example of this is the band Genesis, who just remastered their whole catalogue, and the remasters sound so much better than the originals, that I've thrown out the older versions.

However, when it's Thriller being released for the 100th time and with the same quality, that tends to get on my nerves a bit.
    It's too bad the 1st album from 1969 wasn't redone and included, but I don't think the band owns the master tapes to that one.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

If its a very old album with poorer sound quality then i agree.The Van Halen remasters were amazing but the recent trend of adding one extra song and 5 remixes like 6 months after the original album came out is a rip off.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Buzzin' The Blues - The Complete Slim Harpo

Slim Harpo: Buzzin' The Blues - The Complete Slim Harpo 5CD Boxset + BOOK

The complete works of one of the masters of Louisiana 'swamp blues' and 'swamp pop.'
    Five CDs containing 142 tracks and a 104 page book with many rare photographs and
    illustrations.

CDs 1 and 2 hold all Slim Harpo's Excello label 45s and original album tracks.
    CDs 3 and 4 have all the recordings unissued in Harpo's lifetime and all the alternative takes of issued songs.
    CD 5 features alive recording made in 1961, one of the very earliest to capture an original and important blues artist in their prime.

There are four previously unissued live songs and one previously unknown song.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Prince reissue campaign reportedly continuing throughout 2016

Earlier this year, it was revealed that both Prince’s self-titled record and For You were being reissued by Warner Brothers. Given his tragic passing, I was unsure if the possible reissue campaign would continue, but I’m seeing several listings that indicate they’re moving on with it. You can see the listings below, along with purchase links and released dates.

• Around The World In A Day
      June 21st
      Amazon
    • Under The Cherry Moon OST
      July 19th
      Amazon
    • Sign O The Times
      August 23rd
      Amazon
    • The Black Album
      September 20th
      Amazon
    • Batman OST
      October 18th
      Amazon
    • Lovesexy
      October 18th
      Amazon
    • Prince and The New Power Generation — Diamonds and Pearls
      November 22nd
      Elusive Disc
    • Graffiti Bridge OST
      November 22nd/2xLP Reissue
      Amazon
    • The Love Symbol
      December 13th
      Amazon
    • Come
      December 13th
      Amazon

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice 25

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice 25 (2-CD, 3-CD/1-DVD, or 1 Vinyl)
    release date: November 11, 2016

Listen Without Prejudice 25 is being released in several formats. The biggest is a 3-CD/1 DVD box set. The first CD contains a remastered version of the original album. The second disc is the CD premiere of Michael’s MTV Unplugged concert from October 1996 at Three Mills Studio in London. CD 3 contains remixes, edits and b-sides from the era. The DVD contains the two music videos from the album, a performance of “Freedom! 90” from MTV’s 10th Anniversary special and Listen Without Prejudice Southbank Show Special. The box also contains a 36-page booklet with “liner notes, photos and memorabilia from George’s personal archive.” There will also be a 2-CD edition with the remastered album and the MTV Unplugged concert and a vinyl edition of just the remastered album. A digital version will also be available.

CD 1 Listen Without Prejudice remastered
    1. Praying for Time
    2. Freedom! ’90
    3. They Won’t Go When I Go
    4. Something to Save
    5. Cowboys and Angels
    6. Waiting for That Day
    7. Mothers Pride
    8. Heal the Pain
    9. Soul Free
    10. Waiting (Reprise)

CD 2 – MTV Unplugged
    1. Freedom! ’90
    2. Fastlove
    3. I Can’t Make You Love Me
    4. Father Figure
    5. You Have Been Loved
    6. Everything She Wants
    7. The Strangest Thing
    8. Older
    9. Star People
    10. Praying for Time

CD3: B-Sides And Mixes (super deluxe only)
    1. Soul Free (Special Radio Edit)
    2. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix)
    3. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix Edit)
    4. Fantasy ’90
    5. Freedom! ’90 (Edit)
    6. Cowboys and Angels (Edit)
    7. If You Were My Woman
    8. Too Funky (Edit)
    9. Crazyman Dance
    10. Do You Really Want to Know
    11. Happy
    12. Too Funky (Extended)
    13. Too Jazzy (Happy Mix)
    14. Fantasy ’98
    15. Heal the Pain – George Michael with Paul McCartney
    16. Desafinado – George Michael with Astrud Gilberto

Disc: 4 – DVD (super deluxe only)
    1. The South Bank Show 1990
    2. Freedom! ’90
    3. Praying for Time
    4. Freedom! ’90 (MTV 10th anniversary)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,748 Times in 918 Posts

Default Re: George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice 25

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice 25 (2-CD, 3-CD/1-DVD, or 1 Vinyl)
    release date: November 11, 2016

Listen Without Prejudice 25 is being released in several formats. The biggest is a 3-CD/1 DVD box set. The first CD contains a remastered version of the original album. The second disc is the CD premiere of Michael’s MTV Unplugged concert from October 1996 at Three Mills Studio in London. CD 3 contains remixes, edits and b-sides from the era. The DVD contains the two music videos from the album, a performance of “Freedom! 90” from MTV’s 10th Anniversary special and Listen Without Prejudice Southbank Show Special. The box also contains a 36-page booklet with “liner notes, photos and memorabilia from George’s personal archive.” There will also be a 2-CD edition with the remastered album and the MTV Unplugged concert and a vinyl edition of just the remastered album. A digital version will also be available.

CD 1 Listen Without Prejudice remastered
    1. Praying for Time
    2. Freedom! ’90
    3. They Won’t Go When I Go
    4. Something to Save
    5. Cowboys and Angels
    6. Waiting for That Day
    7. Mothers Pride
    8. Heal the Pain
    9. Soul Free
    10. Waiting (Reprise)

CD 2 – MTV Unplugged
    1. Freedom! ’90
    2. Fastlove
    3. I Can’t Make You Love Me
    4. Father Figure
    5. You Have Been Loved
    6. Everything She Wants
    7. The Strangest Thing
    8. Older
    9. Star People
    10. Praying for Time

CD3: B-Sides And Mixes (super deluxe only)
    1. Soul Free (Special Radio Edit)
    2. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix)
    3. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix Edit)
    4. Fantasy ’90
    5. Freedom! ’90 (Edit)
    6. Cowboys and Angels (Edit)
    7. If You Were My Woman
    8. Too Funky (Edit)
    9. Crazyman Dance
    10. Do You Really Want to Know
    11. Happy
    12. Too Funky (Extended)
    13. Too Jazzy (Happy Mix)
    14. Fantasy ’98
    15. Heal the Pain – George Michael with Paul McCartney
    16. Desafinado – George Michael with Astrud Gilberto

Disc: 4 – DVD (super deluxe only)
    1. The South Bank Show 1990
    2. Freedom! ’90
    3. Praying for Time
    4. Freedom! ’90 (MTV 10th anniversary)
    Thanks for this. I've been looking for full track listing.

The Unplugged performance is my favourite of all time although the listing here is in slightly different order. He finished with Star People and Older and The Strangest Thing weren't televised at the time.

I hope they release that separately, I only have a bootleg of it.
    I CAN'T TAKE IT 'COS I'M TONY

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Weird Al - Squeeze Box

Legacy Recordings, home to definitive releases by the world’s foremost recording artists including Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Presley, Pink Floyd and Miles Davis, proudly presents Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of “Weird Al” Yankovic, a career-spanning box set of all fourteen of Al’s studio albums, remastered for CD and 150-gram vinyl, and lavishly housed in an exact replica of the artist’s signature accordion.

In addition to his studio albums, Squeeze Box will also include a special 15th bonus album, Medium Rarities, featuring previously unreleased and non-album tracks selected by Weird Al, plus a 100-page book including a treasure trove of unseen photos and memorabilia.

Squeeze Box will be officially released November 24, 2017, with a long-lead manufacturing time due to its unprecedented custom packaging. Fans have the opportunity to pre-order the box set now to be guaranteed delivery of this historic set, as only a limited number of sets will be manufactured after this pre-sale.

Fans who pre-order here will also gain access to a private section of this site (via the “Access Pass”), where they will be able to enjoy exclusive videos of how Squeeze Box was created and made, factoids of Al’s career, and special video greetings from the master himself.

LIST OF ALBUMS
    “Weird Al” Yankovic (1983)
    “Weird Al” Yankovic In 3-D (1984)
    Dare To Be Stupid (1985)
    Polka Party! (1986)
    Even Worse (1988)
    UHF – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Other Stuff (1989)
    Off The Deep End (1992)
    Alapalooza (1993)
    Bad Hair Day (1996)
    Running With Scissors (1999)
    Poodle Hat (2003)
    Straight Outta Lynwood (2006)
    Alpocalypse (2011)
    Mandatory Fun (2014)
    Medium Rarities (2017) Exclusive to Box Set

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,844 Times in 3,035 Posts

Clever packaging!!! and cute commercial too.