The 99 cents store?

MoOnWaLk4MeBaBy

Proud Member
Anybody go to the 99 cents only stores? I used to never go in there but I went with a friend last month and was surprised at some of the stuff they sold.

Most of it is cheaply made junk but you can actually find some good stuff that sells for higher prices at other stores, I mean the same exact brand and all. For example, school supplies, kitchen supplies, books, Disney items, etc. My question is, is there a catch?

Also, I noticed they sell FOOD, liked canned goods and produce...I've also seen a store that sells meat. I don't think I'd feel safe buying food from the 99 cents store. Why is it 99 cents? Is it close to the expiration date? There must be a catch in there somewhere!

no catch at all. same reason why big lots exists....OVERSTOCK! u know POM, the pomegranete company that makes that drink plus their teas? it's like four bucks at a real store but 99 there....overstocked!

they don't sell anything that's past date or close to expiring...actually, stores like wal-mart do. they push the old meat in the front so it's the first thing u buy, same w/ cheese and milk. discount stores actuallyhave a higher standard to adhere to

You can not trust the 99cent store with foods i think personally that the 99cent store is just to buy non items for your home but not for food ,bad idea

we have them in my country too, and like soso def said, its stuff thats overstock from department stores. I used to work in branch of a large chain of pharmacies / drugstore. Every 3 months they would review their sales and remove the items which were low sellers. A couple of months later you would see these items in the £1 shops! Even though I know they dont sell out of date products, I still wouldnt buy food from them though.

we have it here too...it is called "100 Forint shop" (that is approx 50 cent) but actually not everything is only 100 Forint there...many are much more, but overall everything is cheaper then in normal shops. They sell from clothes to cosmetics everything

I love shopping in the $2 shops :lol:

all kinds of quirky things pop up for me in those shops :p I get a lot of school supplied for kids etc

I get junk food from there occasionally too :lol:

Big Lots does take in alot of overstock merchandise. Not too long ago the stores here had Pier 1 furniture; intact, no damage, and a fraction of the cost if you walked into Pier 1. I always get my Dearfoam slippers there, name brand ladies razors, Fruit of the Loom socks for my grandsons.

After the holidays is really the time to pick up xmas/halloween/easter etc things, usually at 70% off their already affordable prices.

As for the food, if it's name brand canned food and expiration date is enough in advance, I've used it hundreds of times. Idk for sure, but certainly they could be looking at lawsuits if the food was not fit for consumption and caused problems.

Absolutely the best bargains around my neck of the woods is a place called "Dealz", not sure if that's a nationwide chain. If it were closer to my home I'd probably be in there once a week, but I figure I spend what I save there on the gas driving to it.

in consumer reports they did a test...went to CHAIN food stores and found milk, cheese, meat, medicine, and yougurt....

the discount stores are strictly maintained and the ONLY items that are super marked down...meaning a sticker discount price after it's already been put in the discount store is the beauty and soap products that aren't selling.

once things expire, they're pushed out...and wellbefore the exp. date.

I don't go to 99 cents stores. In fact I didn't even know they were still around until I was watching an episode of the Ellen Degeneres show. And she went in to a 99 cents store on her show. Where I live we don't have a single 99 cents store. Though there used to be one in my local mall. But that went out of business years and years ago. All we have now is a bunch of dollar stores. Like Dollar Tree and Dollar General.

dollar trees are such a rip-off......stores like that are only a good value IF u know how much the items costs in a reg store. like their candy...most of it is a good deal like name brand lollipops BUTfor the 'movie-style' boxes of candy,a t wal mart they're only 88 cents!

they convenient for small things but not everything. i like 99 cent stores and dollar stores for somethings. :)

dollar trees are such a rip-off......stores like that are only a good value IF u know how much the items costs in a reg store. like their candy...most of it is a good deal like name brand lollipops BUTfor the 'movie-style' boxes of candy,a t wal mart they're only 88 cents!

i don't like dollar tree very much either.

Back