View Poll Results: Choose the one u love more!

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thriller

108 47.58%
  • HIStory

119 52.42%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: how about.................... HIStory vs Thriller?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,102 Times in 2,237 Posts

Default Re: how about.................... HIStory vs Thriller?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Like I've said before the album starts with sound of him screaming and ends with the sound of him laughing. Genius.
    Never noticed that. Thanks for that!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnirMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 532 Posts

Mine was vote #111 for.....................

Considering the serious tone of the album this edit seems a bit out of place now that I think about it, but anyways......it's still cute. Plus, as Tony noted the album ends with a hopeful tone, so I guess it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gaga View Post
    HIStory is by far better than Thriller, at least in my opinion.

Thriller is a great album with classic after classic, but sometimes with the material from before the second half of the 80s (and Invincible), I feel that he doesn't always connect fully with what he is singing about, whereas on HIStory particularly, he sounds fully engaged, passionate and raw.
    HIStory IS much, much better than Thriller and not only in your opinion

You're also very right to note Michael's detachment from the music of Thriller. What a complete shame it took such an awful travesty for him to be fully connected to his music and for his lyrics to have a deeply personal and autobiographical tone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,356 Times in 3,647 Posts

After all the pain, suffering and injustice Michael went through, he still had reasons to smile and laugh. Besides being absolutely brilliant and optimistic as Tony said, I call it poetic justice towards his inquisitors.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,844 Times in 3,035 Posts

I don't hear any detachment in Thriller, whatsoever. Or in OTW, or BAD. Thriller was how he was feeling at that time. History was how he was feeling then.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barbee0715 View Post
    I don't hear any detachment in Thriller, whatsoever. Or in OTW, or BAD. Thriller was how he was feeling at that time. History was how he was feeling then.
    That is a good point, but I just feel that, not so much with press related issues, but more social issues, surely if he felt so strongly by Bad (Man in the Mirror, Dirty Diana to an extent) then he would have wanted to speak out more about this before that stage. I feel like up until Bad he just wanted to make great music that everyone could enjoy and that entertained people - and I'm not implying there is anything wrong with that.

But on Dangerous and especially HIStory, there is such a release and genuine edge in his voice that shows what he was singing about was so rooted in his soul, and I find that much more interesting a listen than Thriller, personally. But I love all the albums for their own reasons of course, this isn't me trying to bash pre-90s Michael.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Gaga For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Michael has been recognised for the soul in his voice ever since we saw the Motown auditions of him performing 'I Got The Feeling'. Of course, later on with 'Who's Loving You', Never Can Say Goodbye', 'Ben', and so on... He was so convincing in singing songs that were way beyond his years, that people believed he was reincarnated! They used to call him a 45 year old midget!

It's always been there, but it just became tortured over time

I don't agree with this idea that he suddenly became more aware with the 'History' album. Or that he needed to go through agony in order to create ground breaking content, He was doing both beforehand.

Gamble & Huff gave The Jacksons that conscious edge with songs like 'Man Of War' and 'Strength Of One Man' to name just two. I could list many Motown ones, but I'm not sure if they were covers or not... Though Michael didn't write those songs, it did plant the seed for he and Jackie to write 'Can You Feel It'. 'Beat It' preached anti violence, and was so effective that it was used for Nancy Reagan's Say No To Drugs campaign. 'Be Not Always' different in that it wasn't optimistic. It was a stalling, sombre lament of the devastation of war and poverty. More suitable for a wake. Michael literally sang through tears. No other song did he choke up so much on. This song paved the way for 'Earth Song', the same way that 'We Are The World' was a predecessor to 'Heal The World'.

Half of the 'Destiny' album is about Michael's teenage anxieties. Feeling used and lonely. Not able to fit in, and the hope for a new life. The first song he wrote 'Blues Away' also alluded to this. Outside of that, we had themes of distrust and fear of women ('Heartbreak Hotel', 'Billie Jean', 'Walk Right Now', and many others), and 'paranoia' ('Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and to a much lesser extent 'Somebody's Watching Me') that would dominate so much of his later work.

The foundation was already there for him to build upon later on.

'Thriller' combined all of these aspects, as well creating the fantasy/horror genre (and of course love, ha!). It formed a balanced and enjoyable selection, which is why it's my favourite

Unlike 'History'

The majority of that album didn't need to happen, because the allegations didn't need to happen. Listening to him literally scream for help and yell about morphine is tragic. I understand that Michael had to tell his story and I don't resent him for doing so, it's just sad that it all came to that. The difference between the greatest hits disc and the new material is jarring.. What I witnessed was a meltdown. The beginning of the end. That's nothing to celebrate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 83magic For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,844 Times in 3,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael's Essence View Post
    Michael has been recognised for the soul in his voice ever since we saw the Motown auditions of him performing 'I Got The Feeling'. Of course, later on with 'Who's Loving You', Never Can Say Goodbye', 'Ben', and so on... He was so convincing in singing songs that were way beyond his years, that people believed he was reincarnated! They used to call him a 45 year old midget!

It's always been there, but it just became tortured over time

I don't agree with this idea that he suddenly became more aware with the 'History' album. Or that he needed to go through agony in order to create ground breaking content, He was doing both beforehand.

What a great post! And 100% agree IMO and as I remember it when I first listened to these songs. There's plenty of pain and angst and paranoia and social commentary in those songs, even if they're disguised with a more than melodic pop/jazz/soul/disco sound. In fact, I was shocked at some of them then-sending shivers down my spine or bringing me to tears. So refreshing to have somebody not dismiss his pre-90's work as "light and frothy."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

You're welcome

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes, but if we are to understand the totality of who Michael was as an artist, we must observe the foundation.

I actually think the 'Triumph' album is just as dark as 'Dangerous'. Only 3 songs ('Can You Feel It', 'Everybody', and 'Give It Up') deter from the main concept of heartbreak and distrust in women. Michael apologised if any of the Jacksons songs casted women in a bad light in his autobiography. Even 'Dangerous' had 'Heal The World', 'Black Or White', 'Keep The Faith', 'Remember The Time' and 'In The Closet'. 'Triumph' is shorter too..

'Startin' Somethin' (my fav ) has a verse about parental responsibility! This wasn't a common thing to hear in an average 'Pop' song.

I agree that the earlier stuff gets overlooked or dismissed in the fan community. It's a shame because there's so much magic to be found! Different strokes though...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 83magic For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks

Thriller