Which Is Better

• Eddie Van Halen's Version

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Slash's Version

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Prince Of Pop

Proud Member
I just downloaded the audio to MJ's Beat It performance at the 30th anniversary concert where he had Slash perform the guitar solo, and I must say this......It (BLEEPING) blows Eddie Van Halen's version away.

I like the original Beat It, but IMO the version Michael and Slash did in 2001, was by far the best....and I think Michael should re-release that version of Beat It.....it's got a funkier, more rock edge, and gives the song long lasting life.

What do you all think?

:punk:

Eddie Van Halen is a WAY better guitarist then Slash. Slash is good, but Eddie is considered by many to be the best rock guitarist around. If you look up footage of him in concert, he's pretty incredible. He's got a royal sound to his guitar playing.

1. Slash's guitar work in MSG was based on Eddie's conception

2. this is Mike and Eddie live:

no one can touch that.

yeah Eddie is good in concert....when he's not drunk on his butt or stopping mid song to tie a shoe or fall off the stage like he did in the last Van Halen tour.

Not to get off topic, but from what I heard, Eddie Van Halen is the biggest horses ass in the business.

f_laugh.gif
so? Prince is a little bitch, but it doesn't harm his music. sometimes you need these fads.

It doesn't matter. He's still a bad ass guitarist. Besides, David Lee Roth is the one who can't make up his damn mind. Sammy's a way better singer anyway.

That I do agree with. While they had some bigger hits with David, they had some really great songs with Sammy...and they're albums sold way more.

When they got back together with Sammy for that double greatest hits release with the 3 new tracks a few years ago....it was awesome. "It's About Time" was a great way for them to make a comeback...but sadly it didn't happen.

imo van halen's solo better fit the song, but slash's solo was also awesome but a bit too slow.
Van halen uses diffrent techniques than slash ( for example slash doesn't use tapping ), and van halen plays faster, but i like slash more than van halen, because slash plays with emotion and feeling ;]

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. He's still a bad ass guitarist. Besides, David Lee Roth is the one who can't make up his damn mind. Sammy's a way better singer anyway.
Don't knock the Roth.

As for the question at hand, Eddie is miles better than Slash. Eddie was the one who actually conceived that Beat It solo in the first place and it's probably the best guitar solo ever recorded.

Eddie Van Halen is a WAY better guitarist then Slash. Slash is good, but Eddie is considered by many to be the best rock guitarist around. If you look up footage of him in concert, he's pretty incredible. He's got a royal sound to his guitar playing.
According to the metalheads it's supposed to be Yngwie Malmsteen. :p

According to the metalheads it's supposed to be Yngwie Malmsteen. :p
this muppet's only asset is speed/technical ability with absolutely no substance in the music. the likes of Hendrix and Van Halen had soul and/or at least inspired creativity.

this muppet's only asset is speed/technical ability with absolutely no substance in the music. the likes of Hendrix and Van Halen had soul and/or at least inspired creativity.
Agreed. I always prefer soul, inspiration and creativity over speed and technically ability. Sure, I can appreciate guitarists who a lighting fast and technically very great, but it doesn't do anything for me. But when someone plays something, no matter how fast or slow (sometimes slow is better, and it moves me emotionally, I'm more likely to say "that there is the best guitarist in the world". I love Prince as a guitarist for that reason. He can move me by plucking a few strings and I've never really seen him just go balls out at 240 BPMs. It's not necessary. If you can make everyone pay attention to what your playing and go away thinking about it, you've got real talent.

Agreed. I always prefer soul, inspiration and creativity over speed and technically ability. Sure, I can appreciate guitarists who a lighting fast and technically very great, but it doesn't do anything for me. But when someone plays something, no matter how fast or slow (sometimes slow is better, and it moves me emotionally, I'm more likely to say "that there is the best guitarist in the world". I love Prince as a guitarist for that reason. He can move me by plucking a few strings and I've never really seen him just go balls out at 240 BPMs. It's not necessary. If you can make everyone pay attention to what your playing and go away thinking about it, you've got real talent.
that's exactly how i feel.

i guess you can call the likes of that Swedish git "virtuosos" if you're going to compare it to e.g. classical pianists who never really compose or innovate anything but are renowned for their technical skills (which is still of course an awesome talent). but i always thought they too were highly overrated anyway.

NOENE can play that song better than eddie-eddie came up with the tapping guitar technique and if it wasnt for him,slash wouldn't know a damn thing.i've seen interview of slash saying how much eddie's technique had affected all the guitar players when it came out.so...EDDIE VAN HALEN all the way-although i have a great respect for slash

I LOVE Slash playing with Michael, I really do...BUT I have to vote for Eddie here!!

Eddie. He created the solo. It's like saying someone who traced the Mona Lisa is better than Leonardo da Vinci's version, lol.

I'm not surprised Slash is beating Eddie in the poll though. W/ any poll that pits something post-Bad against something pre-Bad, the results always favor anything post-Bad, my guess because most of the users are younger or want to appear as "true fans" by voting against the mainstream. I've even seen Invincible beating Thriller in the favorite album poll, lol.

Back