Official David Bowie Appreciation thread

This is the official David Bowie Appreciation thread! :D Post all your David Bowie related comments in here. What's your favorite album? Song? Video? Look?

My favorite David Bowie album has to be either Station To Station, Space Oddity, Aladdin Sane, Lodger, Heroes, or Scary Monsters. Although I also really love his later material, like Hours, Reality, Heathen, Earthling, and Black Tie White Noise. All of his albums have something to offer, really.

I also really enjoy the 1967 debut album, too, although it sounds nothing like what DB later put out.

This is the official David Bowie Appreciation thread! :D Post all your David Bowie related comments in here. What's your favorite album? Song? Video? Look?

My favorite David Bowie album has to be either Station To Station, Space Oddity, Aladdin Sane, Lodger, Heroes, or Scary Monsters. Although I also really love his later material, like Hours, Reality, Heathen, Earthling, and Black Tie White Noise. All of his albums have something to offer, really.

I also really enjoy the 1967 debut album, too, although it sounds nothing like what DB later put out.

David Bowie rocks....I call him Zowie Bowie...Giggles

my favourites are Station, Low, Ziggy Stardust and The Man Who Sold the World. i also enjoy some of Young Americans, but i understand the hate over it.

a few of my fav songs are Moonage Daydream (guitar solo is something else there), Golden Years, and Sound and Vision.

ahead of his time. as for image, i don't really have a favourite but i dig his reinventions; the insincerity behind it all.

I have to say Ive become a huge David Bowie fan, his hugest time was Ziggy

but my favourite songs are Fame and Ashes to Ashes, my dad went to see him on the reality tour I hope he does another so I can go see him, he is a tremendous live artist for someone his age.

You mentioned Moonage Daydream, I saw a documentary about him around that period, the Diamond Dogs tour in the USA when his drug habit was at its peak, and he used cut up sentences or lyrics to compile a song I cant remember who also used this method as a writer but I found it to be amazing, that something so genius could come from something so random.

I think he was the first true pioneer of reinventing himself, he became a character on each album, something that many artists have done since he did.

'Ground control to Major Tom...
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on'

What's listed already is great, and I'm going to add the tunes Rebel Rebel and Suffragette City.

I'm a Bowie fan...loved the Never Let Me Down album...lol..yes seriously..Heathen album was awesome..loved his cover version of I've Been Waiting For You...My fave Bowie song ever is Blue Jean...very very closely by I'm Afraid of Americans...truly an amazing artist!

After Michael, David Bowie is my favorite artist and no other artist has been ahead of there time as much as David Bowie and I've been a fan since 1983. Just listen to the production of his albums from from 1970-80 the majority of them still sound fresh, and his videos for songs like Life On Mars, Heroes and the first real music video Ashes to Ashes still look amazing.

I was lucky enough to have met David Bowie in 1996, and he signed an autograph for me. He really has iconic star quality and I was in total awe of him. He looked even better in real life than on televison and photo.

All of David Bowie's albums form 1970-80 are amazing, but here are a few of my favorites

01. Station To Station
02. Diamond Dogs
03. "Heroes"
04. Low
05. Scary Monsters
06. Aladdin Sane

Of David Bowie's post Scary Monsters albums, I really rate the Outside album from 1995 very highly as I do with Heathen from 2002, but all of Bowie's albums are worth getting. The two Tin Machine albums are worth owning because they contain some hidden classics like Amazing, I Can't Read, Baby Universal and You Belong to Rock 'N' Roll. One of my all time favorite David Bowie songs is Jump They Say from 1993 and the video to that is amazing and directed by Mark Romanik who would direct Michael Jackson's Scream video 2yrs later.

My favorite David Bowie song is "Heroes", but for some reason I prefer the "Helden" the version he sang in German.

My favorite David Bowie television performance is Fame from the Cher Show in 1975. Bowie's screen presence on that is hypnotic.

Last edited:
Love him very much!

My favourites albums are Ziggy and Hunky Dory!

Hope he comes soon on stage again!

I came in kinda late to really appreciate his music. Nowadays my eyes are opened and I think he is a wonderful artist with and incredible vocal, Bowie style. I even like the "Dancing in the Street" duet with with Bowie and Mick Jagger!!

Space Oddity made me cry as a child, quite heartbreaking to listen to as a kid! I also love Oh! You Pretty Things!

Young Americans is my all time favourite of Bowie's... why is there hate over the track?

I'm not aware of any hate of the song Young Americans. I guess some Bowie fans who only like his rock and glam rock period between 1970-74 will dislike the song Young Americans. But by many fans it's considered a classic song.

My favorite songs on the Young Americans album are

1. Fame
2. Win
3. Right
4. Can You Hear Me
5. Young Americans

The album was released a few years ago with a some bonus tracks like John I'm Only Dancing (Again), and a DVD of Bowie being interviewed on a USA chat show in 1974 where he performs 1984 and Young Americans. I have a video of the full interview which where he sings a song called Footstomping which isn't on the DVD.

^ Vandross also wrote Fascination on that album.

Foxy said:
Young Americans is my all time favourite of Bowie's... why is there hate over the track?
I'm not aware of any hate of the song Young Americans. I guess some Bowie fans who only like his rock and glam rock period between 1970-74 will dislike the song Young Americans..
no hate over the title track - it's a classic. i mentioned "hate" over the record because Bowie went for the whole "plastic soul" vibe around that time, and it worked in 2 or 3 tracks (really well, which is why i mentioned it) but you just can't help but cringe at most of the tracks he churned out here. and i was thinking it came more from r&b/soul/disco fans.

Bowie actully dubbed the Young Americans album as Plastic Soul, as he disliked it when it was released. But over a period of time he and music critics changed their view of the album.

When the Diamond Dogs Tour morphed in to the Philly Dogs Soul Tour in 1974, not only was Luther Vandross one of Bowie's backing singers, but so was Alexander O'Neal. Both Luther and Alexander appear as backing singers of Bowie's performances on the Dick Cavett Show, which is on the bonus DVD on the Young Americans 30th Anniversary CD.

I LOVE David Bowie, love his songs and I love love love Labyrinth!

I'm a fan of David Bowie's China Girl song!

[youtube]qSfndZfKFNU[/youtube]

I love Let's Dance. It's another nostalgia song for me. It reminds of MI summers in the afternoon watching MTV.

I'm a huge Bowie fan too, I love the way he constantly re-invents himself, and no album is like anything he did before. My favourite songs are 'Space Oddity,' 'Ashes To Ashes,' 'We Are The Dead,' 'Velvet Goldmine' and 'All The Madmen' to quote but a few. I can't say I have a favourite album - I love them all, even Young Americans and Never Let Me Down, the only exception is Reality, I've only listened to it once and I didn't feel inspired to listen to it again :/ I really should dig it out and give it another go, though :)

I like Bowie too! My fave songs are probably: Life on Mars, Changes, I'm Afraid of Americans, Boys Keep Swinging, Let's Dance, Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, Starman, Rebel Rebel.... well of course the list is getting long; he is great!

Sorrow

David Bowie, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney live dancing in the street.
What a surprise it was at the time to see them together on the stage

Just bumping this. :)

So his new album is out. Have you heard it? It's quite possibly his best in 20 years, since "Black Tie White Noise."

I love all of his albums, but this album is something else. Just brilliant on so many levels.

I'm a new fan! I have only listened to his 70's/80's stuff for now and my favorite songs so far are Station to Station, Rebel Rebel, Changes, Heroes and Modern Love...
I have also watched Labyrinth, loved it! :girl_love: :wild:

If you listen closely, you can hear Luther Vandross on the background vocals. Luther was discovered by Bowie.

OMG Really?? I didn't knew that DuranDuran
Thanks for the info ...going to listen to that song right now ...I love Luther Vandross

I remember David Bowie of my younger years ...
We used to dance on this song ...I loved it
I loved his two color eyes :wub:

Back