James Brown

Love Me Tender

Old Landmark (If you look closely, Chaka Khan is part of the choir)

for the past few weeks i've become obsessed with his instrumentation work. a genius of a bandleader and a beautiful organist. i think The Popcorn lp is becoming my favourite release of his.

1zgdziu.jpg

Lowdown Popcorn
(Buttered version)

In The Middle

The Chicken

aou7wj.png

Every Beat of My Heart

James would fine his band members/singers if they messed up during a performance or for their clothing not being up to par. During a concert, James would say something like "I gotcha" for a flubbed note and look or point at the culprit. The audience would think it was part of the song, lol.

yea hes great...found the4 full length performance of PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE on youtube.....damn, all the dead tissue on his knees came back later in life

I was playing this track a lot last month when I saw the DJ episode of Everybody Hates Chris. I have the 50th Anniversary collection of James Brown's hits and it's very good. My only criticism of it is that they edit Sex Machine & Payback cutting out the ka-razor comment.

I really enjoyed reading his autobiographies as well.

I saw him in London in 2004 when he performed at Buckingham Palace for an Olympic-related concert. I had a bad standing spot though.
Addicted to the "The Payback" lol thats my jam.

My mom has the 45 of The Payback. It has this guy talking over parts of the song, saying stuff like "This record is too much", "This is for Los Angeles (New York, Atlanta, everybody)", "This is some heavy funk". I have the album it comes from.

^ Amen...

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(((Falls to the ground))) Helped up by man putting a cape...

Shakes cape off... I JUST WANNA SAY I...I...I...!!! :punk:

I'm also really starting to fall in love with James Brown music! I want to buy a DVD of one of his concerts, which one would you guys recommend? Also out of topic- does Stevie have a DVD out of any of his performances? I cant seem to find any at my local music store?

I'm also really starting to fall in love with James Brown music! I want to buy a DVD of one of his concerts, which one would you guys recommend? Also out of topic- does Stevie have a DVD out of any of his performances? I cant seem to find any at my local music store?
There's a concert with other acts called The T.A.M.I. Show, but I don't know if it's still in print. JB has a lot of live albums though. There's also a video concert from around 1983 or 84 with B.B. King with cameos from MJ and Prince. It might be better to get a early 70s concert though. Stevie has never released a live video (I think there might be one released in Japan, but not sure), but there is a live album called "Natural Wonder".

There's a concert with other acts called The T.A.M.I. Show, but I don't know if it's still in print. JB has a lot of live albums though. There's also a video concert from around 1983 or 84 with B.B. King with cameos from MJ and Prince. It might be better to get a early 70s concert though. Stevie has never released a live video (I think there might be one released in Japan, but not sure), but there is a live album called "Natural Wonder".

If you look on the shelves at Wal-Mart or Target, there are bound to be one or two James Brown DVD's. I have a concert from Chastain Park from the late 80's. Stevie has not released a live DVD (at least a decent one.. there is one that's mislabeled that is supposedly an official released. It says it's from 1982, but has "We Are The World" and other songs on it, meaning that they didn't even bother to notice the date is 1985).

The Natural Wonder CD.. I have the bootleg video from that. It's pro-shot from Osaka Japan. I love it.

I've also got the soundboard, lossless audio concert of that James Brown concert with James Brown and B.B. King (and MJ and Prince, of course). It's great, both James and B.B. are in top form.

Thank you so much for the info. Superstitious my brother I think I'l be contacting you on how to get my hands on some live Stevie concert footage in the coming weeks. Right now I'm too busy with exams.

I've also got the soundboard, lossless audio concert of that James Brown concert with James Brown and B.B. King (and MJ and Prince, of course). It's great, both James and B.B. are in top form.
My mom used to have the VHS of this concert, but it broke. It was the official release, not a bootleg.

I never knew that was on official release. It must have been out of print a long time ago, all the footage online is choppy and I haven't been able to get anything but audio versions of it. I'd love to have it in good quality, I may search the web to see if anyone is trading or selling it. B.B. King was ace too that night.

Thanks for the info.

I never knew that was on official release. It must have been out of print a long time ago, all the footage online is choppy and I haven't been able to get anything but audio versions of it. I'd love to have it in good quality, I may search the web to see if anyone is trading or selling it. B.B. King was ace too that night.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah it was during the 80s. I don't think it made it to DVD or even laserdisc, lol. The ones that are online sites like youtube seem to be the production versions with the counter numbers at the bottom.

Or because he threatened legal action if his music, name, face, likeness or anything else related to him was shown.

Or because he threatened legal action if his music, name, face, likeness or anything else related to him was shown.
I don't know about that. I don't think he sues people that are legit. He's never done anything about "The Prince Show" on Saturday Night Live (once he even performed on an episode where they did one, but didn't participate in the skit), Tonight Show footage on NBC.com, or Getty Images. His people have never taken down things like the George Harrison tribute from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction on youtube (probably because there's other people in it, lol). There's also videos on Rolling Stone.com and BET.com. He doesn't seem to be as strict about photos, other than he wants to be in control of the situation.

Supe, if you have the soundboard recording uploaded already, i'd appreciate it if you'd share it here.

I'm also really starting to fall in love with James Brown music! I want to buy a DVD of one of his concerts, which one would you guys recommend?
JB has tons of official concert releases,

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1224420903/ref=sr_nr_i_4?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=james%20brown%20live&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajames%20brown%20live%2Ci%3Advd

and they keep repackaging his '85 Chastain Park concert, so it should be available just about anywhere.

but one of my favourite concerts hasn't been released yet in its entirety, and it's a very moving one from 1968 in Boston on the day after Martin Luther King's assasination. i uploaded a TV version of it over at MaxJax, if you're interested:

this is a TV-only broadcast (no commercial release).

it's a historic concert being that it was on the day after MLK's assassination (Dr. King hailed from Boston), so the mood is understandably sombre. but well worth watching the performance and messages throughout and just soaking it all in.

xct3ko.jpg

Less than 24 hours after Martin Luther King's assassination the city of Boston was in a state of turmoil. When James Brown arrived at the airport to play his already scheduled show he was warned that the mayor, fearing further unrest among the African American community, planned to cancel the show. Brown assured the mayor that the consequences would be much worse if the concert was called off. Not only did the show go on as planned, public television station WGBH broadcast the whole thing. It's an incredible historical document and a fantastic performance by James Brown, who dedicated the show to Dr. King's memory and brought the raw emotions within himself and his community to a searing head. At one point the restless crowd swarms the stage and amidst the mayhem James Brown tells the cops to stay back and calmly talks the crowd back into their seats. "This isn't how black people should act." Riveting viewing.
Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ETCCSH3R
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9W78NWOA

^ More and more each day.

I watched that entire special on VH-1 and it showed how powerful he was. The man wasn't even a "civil rights leader" but he was showing his leadership at that performance that night.

I loved it when the crowd wanted to get close to him and the police try to assert themselves on them and the kids tried to fight out their way to reach him and acted a fool on stage, James said:

"Stop that, this isn't how we should act, we black, we black, don't make us all look bad!"

Then when things got too much, he told the cops to step away from the kids and then got the kids to finally return to their seats and basically acted like a father:

"When you're doing all of that, you're disrespecting not only me but yourselves also. Now I asked the police to step back because I think I can get respect from my own people! Don't make no sense... now are we together or we ain't?!"

Crowd: "YEAH!"

That ended the entire craziness.

What was also amazing that the city of Boston didn't get violent the night James performed. James Brown didn't "save" Boston but he sure brought the city - and America - to its attention at that time that violence amongst black people wasn't right. After that, the President of the United States called him personally to go to riot-torn cities in black urban areas and talk to them and he did that impressively.

James Brown was simply a PIONEER at what he did no matter what it was. That's why I have love and respect for him. I really do miss him.

Supe, if you have the soundboard recording uploaded already, i'd appreciate it if you'd share it here.

JB has tons of official concert releases,

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1224420... brown live&rh=i:aps,k:james brown live,i:dvd

and they keep repackaging his '85 Chastain Park concert, so it should be available just about anywhere.

but one of my favourite concerts hasn't been released yet in its entirety, and it's a very moving one from 1968 in Boston on the day after Martin Luther King's assasination. i uploaded a TV version of it over at MaxJax, if you're interested:

Yeah, I don't know why they don't release that concert. I have that on DVD as well, though the editing is choppy, it's still the full show. A really great show at that.

*Raises Hand*

I love me some James Brown! Man, you wanna talk about a great soul singer? The man was funky as hell too and one of the most sampled artists ever. So many rap artists especially have sampled his music. The other day I was watching a documentary about that concert he did in Boston back in the 60's and it was so inspiring to watch. James was much more than just a singer/entertainer. I mean songs like "I'm Black & Proud" made bold, definitive statements about what was going on the country at the time, his music really had an effect on people and spoke about the times. JB was truly one of the greats.

He has so many good songs tho, but I think my faves have to be "The Big Payback", "Goodfoot", "Bewildered", "The Boss" and "It's A Man's World", but he has so many great songs. I think the stuff he did on "Black Caesar" soundtrack was especially good, I wish it wasn't so underrated.

I'll try to get it uploaded within the next few hours. I'm at work now, so I'll do shortly after I get home. Thanks for the video upload, I'm downloading it now, I can't wait to see it. (I can download stuff to my laptop, but my external drive with my lossless audio is at home).

Back