Favorite bible scriptures

Poefiend

Proud Member
what is your fave bible scriptures?
I hope this thread is ok to make if not remove it?

some of mine are

(Proverbs 15:1 KJV)
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

(Matthew 6:14 KJV)
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

(Ecclesiastes 7:9 KJV)
Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.

(John 15:12-14,17 KJV)
(12) This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. (13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (14) Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. (17) These things I command you, that ye love one another.

(1 John 4:21 KJV)
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

and many more..........

Sound speech that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil things to say of you. -Titus2:8

For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips. -Proverbs 8:7

Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. -Proverbs 8: 10-11

Let not mercy and truth forsake thee; bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart. So shalt thou find favor and good understanding in the sight of God and man. -Proverbs 3:3-4

Flee also youthful lusts;but follow righteousness, faith, charity , peace, with them that call on the LOrd out of a pure heart. -II Timothy 2:22

And above all these things, put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.- Colossians 3: 14-15

I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you. -St. John 14:18

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. -St. Matthew 5:8

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: other wise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in their synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth. That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. St. Matthew 6: 1-4

Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not unto thy neighbour , Go, and come again, and tomorrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee. Proverbs 3: 27-28

I could go on and on....

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. -St. John 15: 7

You're very welcome. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope more people will post their favorites! :)

PSALM 37

Do not be provoked by evildoers; do not envy those who do wrong.

Like grass they wither quickly; like green plants they wilt away.

Trust in the LORD and do good that you may dwell in the land and live secure.

Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire.

Commit your way to the LORD; trust that God will act

And make your integrity shine like the dawn, your vindication like noonday.

Be still before the LORD; wait for God. Do not be provoked by the prosperous, nor by malicious schemers.

Give up your anger, abandon your wrath; do not be provoked; it brings only harm.

Those who do evil will be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD will possess the land.

Wait a little, and the wicked will be no more; look for them and they will not be there.

But the poor will possess the land, will delight in great prosperity.

The wicked plot against the just and grind their teeth at them;

But the LORD laughs at them, knowing their day is coming.

The wicked draw their swords; they string their bows To fell the poor and oppressed, to slaughter those whose way is honest.

Their swords will pierce their own hearts; their bows will be broken.

Better the poverty of the just than the great wealth of the wicked.

The arms of the wicked will be broken; the LORD will sustain the just.

The LORD watches over the days of the blameless; their heritage lasts forever.

They will not be disgraced when times are hard; in days of famine they will have plenty.

The wicked perish, the enemies of the LORD; Like the beauty of meadows they vanish; like smoke they disappear.

The wicked borrow but do not repay; the just are generous in giving.

For those blessed by the Lord will possess the land, but those accursed will be cut off.

Those whose steps are guided by the LORD; whose way God approves, may stumble, but they will never fall, for the LORD holds their hand.

Neither in my youth, nor now in old age have I ever seen the just abandoned or their children begging bread.

The just always lend generously, and their children become a blessing.

Turn from evil and do good, that you may inhabit the land forever.

For the LORD loves justice and does not abandon the faithful.

When the unjust are destroyed, and the children of the wicked cut off, the just will possess the land and live in it forever.

The mouths of the just utter wisdom; their tongues speak what is right.

God's teaching is in their hearts; their steps do not falter.

The wicked spy on the just and seek to kill them.

But the LORD does not leave the just in their power, nor let them be condemned when tried.

Wait eagerly for the LORD, and keep to the way; God will raise you to possess the land; you will gloat when the wicked are cut off.

I have seen ruthless scoundrels, strong as flourishing cedars.

When I passed by again, they were gone; though I searched, they could not be found.

Observe the honest, mark the upright; those at peace with God have a future.

But all sinners will be destroyed; the future of the wicked will be cut off.

The salvation of the just is from the LORD, their refuge in time of distress.

The LORD helps and rescues them, rescues and saves them from the wicked, because in God they take refuge.

Love that one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! !

The Lord is gracious and compassionate; slow to anger and rich in love. Ps. 145:8 (NIV)

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips. Ps. 141:3 (NIV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Prov. 3:5 (NIV)

...Mercy triumphs over judgement.James 2:3 (NIV)

Good scriptures everyone! :)

I love this one....... God laid it on my heart this morning

Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world

Woah! I had that in my original post but I shortened it (because I thought the post was too long) and removed that one. I need to remind myself of that particular scripture a lot, I'm afraid. Thanks for posting it.

Here are some of the others I took off...

~ …Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. Song of Songs 3:5(NIV)

~ No one whose hope is in You will ever be put to shame. Ps. 25: 3(NIV)

~ Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33: 3(NIV)

~ “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11(NIV)

Woah! I had that in my original post but I shortened it (because I thought the post was too long) and removed that one. I need to remind myself of that particular scripture a lot, I'm afraid. Thanks for posting it.

Here are some of the others I took off...

~ …Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. Song of Songs 3:5(NIV)

~ No one whose hope is in You will ever be put to shame. Ps. 25: 3(NIV)

~ Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33: 3(NIV)

~ “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11(NIV)

Thank you SO MUCh for these today Queen G...you have NO IDEA how good it felt to read them especially today!!! Thanks!!! *hugs*

Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you. Do not accuse a man for no reason— when he has done you no harm -Proverbs 3:29-30 (NIV)

I put that on the banner I sent to California for fans to hold at the courthouse during the trial in support of MJ...I liked that quote and I thought it was so true.

I am so pleased, Summer! When God arranges for a timely word to be spoken, it is such a blessing. Have a great day (I'm off to run errands and pick up my son. *waves*)

Luke 4, 1-13

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread."

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone."

The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours."

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'"

The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down from here. For it is written:
'He will command his angels concerning you
to guard you carefully;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"

Jesus answered, "It says: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." -Luke 11:9-10 (NIV)

"... whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Phil 4:8

I don't really discuss religion but these 2 things are special to me :)

I say this prayer for the people I love

Guardian Angel,
watch over those whose names you can read in my heart.
Guard over them with every care
and make their way easy and their labours fruitful.
Dry their tears if they weep;
sanctify their joys;
raise their courage if they weaken;
restore their hope if they lose heart,
their health if they be ill,
truth if they err,
repentance if they fail.

"Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky" Genesis 1:20

^ Those are nice, Pua. Some really caring requests made in that first one. :yes: Thanks for posting them.

^^ You're welcome :) and thank you for liking them :flowers:

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

What a beautiful thread Poe! I love it

My ultimate favorite is

He That does not love has not come to know God, because God is Love -- 1John 4:8

Reminds me to ALWAYS carry genuine love for others...

And secondly,

While you throw all your anxieties upon him, because he cares for YOU - 1 Peter 5:7

Reminds me to pray and lie anything into Gods hand without shame or hesitation...

And lastly,

Keep your senses, be watchful. Your adversary the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion seeking to devour someone -- 1 Peter 5:8

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5, 16-26

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God;
and every one that loveth is born of God and knoweth God ...
Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another, God dwelleth in us,
and his love is perfected in us."

~1 John 4:7, 11-12~

:angel::wub:

"But Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me,
my Lord has forgotten me.’
Can a woman forget her nursing-child,
or show no compassion for the child of her womb?
Even these may forget,
yet I will not forget you."

Isaiah 49, 14-15

He will cover you with His pinions,
And under His wings you will find refuge (Psalm 91:4)

For He will give His angels charge of you to guard you in all your ways (Psalm 91:11)

Back