Out Sound/Experimental

DuranDuran

Proud Member
"Out sound" is a type of music from the late 1960s and 1970s. But any type of experimental music can be posted.

Alice Shields ~ Study For Voice And Tape (1968)

Stevie Wonder ~ Venus' Flytrap And The Bug (1979)
Bob Crewes & The Glitterhouse ~ Barbarella (1968)

Last edited:
Rotary Connection ~ If I Sing My Song (1971)
[youtube]-nY2fln55Rs[/youtube]
Raymond Scott ~ Lightworks (circa 1961)
[youtube]rWbzAa_c1VY[/youtube]

Last edited:
great thread, and open to an infinite world of styles, lol.

i'm a big fan of Warp Records which has produced some extraordinary artists since the 90s.

180px-Warp_Records_logo.svg.png

Aphex Twin's hailed by many as electronic music's most experimental/innovative figure in recent times. he's overrated in that respect, but still a genius imo.

On

Iz-Us

and his foray into Pop:

Windowlicker

there's also Prefuse 73 who loves to experiment with sampling and generally fuses IDM with hip-hop.

Nuno

Hot Winter's Day

Mutescreamer Remix

i think though the true champions of experimentation came about through classical music using serialism and minimalism and whatever sprung from those to this day. John Cage is one of my heros in that respect, and was a true pioneer. eighthnoterojo can fill us in on all of this..

I can? :lol:

Well, I can try...

When it comes to art music peeps are experimenting all the time. So I guess first it's experimental, then it gets labeled as something else once it's established.

Some of the great experimentalists/innovators of the last hundred or so years were:

Claude Debussy - increased the harmonic spectrum by introducing extended chords and harmonies, introduced regular use of the whole tone, pentatonic scales etc., created works with no real tonal centres, works used a much freer construction that previously.
Arnold Schoenberg - expanded on Debussy's ideas by making music with an entirely new system where all notes of the scale have equal strength.
John Cage - created music that challenged the very notion of what music is or should be. Employed new sounds by old instruments, such as in his prepared piano pieces (objects placed on strings).
Edgar Varèse - Use of tape, new sounds
Luciano Berio
Karlheinz Stockhausen

Wait; this'll take forever. I'll find a link to post. :lol:

Edit- Ok, this is a very good overview of what's been going on in the recent past; from The Rest Is Noise by Alex Ross

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2007/01/book-audiofiles.html

Edit 2- Just realized, the beginning of my post sounds a bit snotty; I just mean that there's so much stuff going on that it's impossible for me to keep up with it all.

Edit 3- Even though this vid does a disservice to twelve tone music and composers (sorry!) by stereotyping their music, I have to post it, cuz it makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACCAF04wSs

:lol:

Last edited:
Chris Joss ~ Discotheque Dancing

Last edited:
Hugo Montenegro ~ The Greatest Love

Last edited:
L'Infonie ~ J'Ai Perdu 15 Cents {1969}

Last edited:
Tod Dockstader & David Lee Myers ~ Assembly

Last edited:
Minnie Riperton ~ Les Fleurs

[youtube]FOo1arFj2gA[/youtube]

Last edited:
a master of radical experimentation,,,

Brian Eno

eno2space.l.jpg

Ambient Savage

Castro Haze

Slow Lump with Strings

these are not so extremely unstructured like those above but still contain so many suprising sounds :D

51RE5JM9D2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Angel - with a similar dark bass line as that Eno's Ambient Savage

Inertia Creeps

Mezzanine

and some intros, before vocals with a conventional melody come in

Teardrop

Dissolved Girl

Black Milk

Man Next Door

^ big up the UK undersounds
f_biggrin.gif

i'm a big fan of Massive Attack and also their fellow Bristolians, Portishead. both acts along with Tricky have pretty much defined the city's sound with their experimental electro.

29del1z.jpg

Sour Times

Last edited:
oh yeah, Portishead is also a prime example of musical deconstruction lol. they both were totally innovative and maybe initially underground yet became massively popular in 90s. Sour Times and Glory Box were overplayed everywhere as i remember lol.

i’ve tried to select a few more unusual songs of Bjork, though it’s difficult lol as all her music is highly experimental and unique on so many levels.

0d7844a90646c460442f571755080cac.jpg

An Echo, A Stain

Frosti

81c1946c1f904cf4f60099445253c096.jpg

5 Years

Pluto

ahh no way mate, i was just planning on opening a Bjork thread!! genius being. i've uploaded this before in here, but this is her 1977 debut album as a an 11 year-old filled with covers of what was hot back then. even with renditions she had her own touch.

a3312a.png

Alta Mira [Edgar Winter]

Your Kiss Is Sweet [Stevie Wonder]

Foot On The Hill [Lennon/McCartney]

oh, i'm a huge fan of Bjork, but i thought her Debut album was indeed her debiut solo album lol. never heard that stuff. really impressive. and i don't think it ruins your idea for a separate Bjork thread lol.

That "Inertia Creeps" sounds like it could be used for bellydancing, if the vocals are removed.

Delia Derbyshire ~ Love Without Sound {1969}

[youtube]K6pTdzt7BiI[/youtube]

Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic ~ I Got A Thing, You Got A Thing, Everybody's Got A Thing (1970)
[youtube]_l9wydWQnIY[/youtube]
Funkadelic ~ Maggot Brain (1971)

[youtube]dh3bleXWaCk[/youtube]

Last edited:
Raymond Scott ~ Cindy Electronium (1959)

Last edited:
[youtube]SmK3RrTECdI&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Perrey-Kingsley ~ The Little Man From Mars

Last edited:
[youtube]DEbtyfst-BI&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Tori Amos ~ The Waitress
[youtube]YALBkQNL25c&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Back