Hugh Laurie interviews Michael Jackson- A Bit of Fry and Laurie- BBC Comedy

OMG!! :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was funny. :lol:

' right now there are kids all over the world desperately trying to copy that look' LOL

err i found that very offensive. i hate parodies of michael.

I was very "prejudiced" when I started watching because I thought it's gonna be another MJ bashing parody...but I think it wasn't really offensive. It was funny because the guy looked NOTHING like MJ...he looked like a stereotypical English man, so I thought that was funny. And when they showed a picture of MJ as a kid and then the other guy said "you don't look like that now" and the guy playing MJ was like "I was eight years old then!". That cracked me up because they didn't even TRY to make him look like MJ, so it was funny! :lol: I just thought it was really funny and well done and not offensive.

I was very "prejudiced" when I started watching because I thought it's gonna be another MJ bashing parody...but I think it wasn't really offensive. It was funny because the guy looked NOTHING like MJ...he looked like a stereotypical English man, so I thought that was funny. And when they showed a picture of MJ as a kid and then the other guy said "you don't look like that now" and the guy playing MJ was like "I was eight years old then!". That cracked me up because they didn't even TRY to make him look like MJ, so it was funny! :lol: I just thought it was really funny and well done and not offensive.

Yeah, I didn't think it was offensive either. I thought it was funny (although not hilarious) and not at all offensive:)

Exactly! I think some fans need to chill out and stop being so uptight about MJ parodies/sketches/jokes. Not everybody is out to bash him :smilerolleyes: it was just a harmless sketch. Why get so offended when Mike himself would probably laugh.

The moonwalking on the treadmill cracked me up :lol:

Exactly! I think some fans need to chill out and stop being so uptight about MJ parodies/sketches/jokes. Not everybody is out to bash him :smilerolleyes: it was just a harmless sketch. Why get so offended when Mike himself would probably laugh.

The moonwalking on the treadmill cracked me up :lol:

I KNOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!! Me too!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I was CRYINg with laughter when I saw that, that was SO FUNNY!! And then when he was dancing and he just can't dance even if his life depended on it!! Like when he was trying to do that thing with his head that MJ does and he was like so STIFF when he was trying to dance!!! Too funny!! :lol: I thought it was very funny. :lol:

I posted the vid on another board and this was one of the responses:

I laughed out loud at Stephen Fry's dancing. He's brilliant. I liked it at the Royal Albert Hall at Elizabeth's Nothing Like A Dame evening. Stephen Fry was one of the presenters, and he called Michael 'Sir'. I've loved him ever since.

OMG that was hilarious! :hysterical: 'Specially when the guy moonwalked the treadmill..
and the photo thing xD ?! LMFAO. The crotch grab stuff. :lmao: Aaaaaand I love Hugh Laurie! :wub:

*Favoriting video* Thanks for posting! :)

That was pretty funny, actually. I guess some fans would be offended by the whole joke on Michael saying adolesence changed his appearance, etc... Which I can understand, because that in actuality did play a big role. But otherwise, I thought it was funny.

it was offensive because they tried to ridicule and make fun of what michael had said on the bash*t interview that "ppl change as they grow up". they had a white man who looks nothing like michael when he was a child to play him as a grown up so that they could point out the different appearance between him as a child and him as a grown up. it was pretty obvious. they made fun of what michael had said that hes not had any plastic surgery on his face and they portrayed him as a liar and as an arrogant big headed celebrity who thinks that the media are jealous of him and thats why they made up the plastic surgery crap. they implied that michael had tons of plastic surgeries and that hes lying about it by trying to fool ppl that the media are against him coz they envy his huge success. they implied that michael now looks nothing like the kid michael by having that white guy playing him.
i am totally surprised at some fans who found that amusing. its so obvious that they maliciously make fun of him. i'm all for innocent and respectful michael jokes and imitations. i totally love chris tuckers impersonations of michael. hes always so respectful and genuinely funny. but i would never laugh at sth like this. this is totally over the line.

it was offensive because they tried to ridicule and make fun of what michael had said on the bash*t interview that "ppl change as they grow up". they had a white man who looks nothing like michael when he was a child to play him as a grown up so that they could point out the different appearance between him as a child and him as a grown up. it was pretty obvious. they made fun of what michael had said that hes not had any plastic surgery on his face and they portrayed him as a liar and as an arrogant big headed celebrity who thinks that the media are jealous of him and thats why they made up the plastic surgery crap. they implied that michael had tons of plastic surgeries and that hes lying about it by trying to fool ppl that the media are against him coz they envy his huge success. they implied that michael now looks nothing like the kid michael by having that white guy playing him.
i am totally surprised at some fans who found that amusing. its so obvious that they maliciously make fun of him. i'm all for innocent and respectful michael jokes and imitations. i totally love chris tuckers impersonations of michael. hes always so respectful and genuinely funny. but i would never laugh at sth like this. this is totally over the line.

WTH did I just read, LMAO. You're totally off, this clip was waaaay before the Martin Bashir interview, way before the allegations even, this clip is from 1990! You're being over the top, with the over-sensitivity and over-analysing, when it's just a harmless sketch. Also, may I add, the person playing MJ (Stephen Fry) referred to MJ as "Sir" back in 2000 at the Royal Albert Hall at Elizabeth's Nothing Like A Dame evening, I'm sure his intents were malicious then as well, LOL.

You obviously haven't seen many eps of A Bit of Fry and Laurie or get British humour for that matter, otherwise you would understand where they are coming from in this sketch. You've got a rather pompous, conservative upper-class man dressed in typical English attire talking in a posh accent, playing an afro-american popstar who was quite a glamorous and extravagant dresser, who was quite timid and introverted in interviews up to that point, and who was setting fashion trends across the world during that period of time, hence, the reference to kids wanting to dress like him, the ridiculousness and the contrast between the real MJ and Fry's role of MJ, is what's meant to make the viewer laugh. They wouldn't have been able to acheive that succesfully if Fry wore an afro, put a fake nose on and painted his face, it would defeat the purpose of the sketch. The real MJ and Fry's character are from parallel universes, but they've made Fry's character play the role of MJ, to be humorous.

Another example is of the pic of MJ when he was young and quite obviously of African heritage and comparing it to Fry (a caucasian English man), the absurdity of the situation is what's meant to be funny, you can also take that as a plastic surgery joke, but it isn't a joke that will end the world, it's not even in your face like most MJ/surgery jokes, it's quite light-hearted, I'm sure MJ could take that one too if he ever saw it, LOL. And than you have the slapstick humour with the moonwalking on the treadmill and the posh git "trying" but failing to imitate MJ's moves and the exaggerated high pitched singing voice and song style of the BAD era. It's all a bit silly :tease:

Anyway, they've done a lot of sketches on different celebs, its not just exclusive to MJ, there's really no need to be upset about it! :doh:

Last edited:
WTH did I just read, LMAO. You're totally off, this clip was waaaay before the Martin Bashir interview, way before the allegations even, this clip is from 1990! You're being over the top, with the over-sensitivity and over-analysing, when it's just a harmless sketch. Also, may I add, the person playing MJ (Stephen Fry) referred to MJ as "Sir" back in 2000 at the Royal Albert Hall at Elizabeth's Nothing Like A Dame evening, I'm sure his intents were malicious then as well, LOL.

You obviously haven't seen many eps of A Bit of Fry and Laurie or get British humour for that matter, otherwise you would understand where they are coming from in this sketch. You've got a rather pompous, conservative upper-class man dressed in typical English attire talking in a posh accent, playing an afro-american popstar who was quite a glamorous and extravagant dresser, who was quite timid and introverted in interviews up to that point, and who was setting fashion trends across the world during that period of time, hence, the reference to kids wanting to dress like him, the ridiculousness and the contrast between the real MJ and Fry's role of MJ, is what's meant to make the viewer laugh. They wouldn't have been able to acheive that succesfully if Fry wore an afro, put a fake nose on and painted his face, it would defeat the purpose of the sketch. The real MJ and Fry's character are from parallel universes, but they've made Fry's character play the role of MJ, to be humorous.

Another example is of the pic of MJ when he was young and quite obviously of African heritage and comparing him to Stephen Fry (a caucasian English man), the absurdity of the situation is what's meant to be funny, you can also take that as a plastic surgery joke, but it isn't a joke that will end the world, it's not even in your face like most MJ/surgery jokes, it's quite light-hearted, I'm sure MJ could take that one too if he ever saw it, LOL. Anyway, they've done a lot of sketches on different celebs, its not just exclusive to MJ! And than you have the slapstick humour with the moonwalking on the treadmill and the posh git (who can't dance to save his life) trying but failing to be cool and imitate MJ's moves and the exaggerated high pitched singing voice and song style of the BAD era.

ok ok lol i didnt know it was from 1990. i thought it was recent. but i still do find it offensive sorry.

:lol: OMG, I love Hugh!! This is just classic! This was not meant to be offensive. The duo mocked pretty much everything and everyone from around that time. Here, they weren't exactly mocking Michael. They were making fun of the tabloids' obsession with Michael, the people's fascination with him. Gah, I love this show!! :lol:

Last edited:
That was Hilarious!!!

Stephan Fry is brilliant on the parody and on the LIttle Big Planet

would love it if we could get a group of fans together and mobbed stephan fry all chanting MICHAEL JACKSON !!!! LOL

Re: Hugh Laurie interviews Michael Jackson

Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are so awesome. :happy: Though I'm not really sure what to make of that...

Back