Christmas Present for Michael***Updates on Post 466***

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Well, it's that time of year.

What do ya get the man we all love with deep devotion but he can already get anything he wants?

Something handmade :yes:

I wanted to think of something that involved the community in a hands on fashion. Literally. There are alot of creative art wise peeps on board and I wanna see if you would be interested in making a "Blanket of Love" for Michael.

For those who remember and were members of MJNO there was a project like this done and the quilt turned out beautiful. I've added the pics of that quilt so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about...

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/402/blnkoflovesmallpe6.jpg

Now, there was no restrictions placed on the size of panels each member did and the blanket was huge :yes: So, anticipating more members participation on MJJC we do have to put a restriction. Each member can send me a quilt square/panel of no larger than 10 x 10 (inches).

What is made on the quilt squares is entirely up to you. Remember this is a Christmas present for Michael and should be suitable as such. Good judgement :)

Now I will need to know accurately how many people will be working on these and you must pm me for the address to send the squares too. I'll have a PO Box set up for it :yes:

If there are some skilled peeps in the sewing trade any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm good with a sewing machine just never attempted to make a quilt before :scratch:Thank God I have a great mother to answer most of my questions :lol:

The deadline will be December 5th as I will need time to assemble them all and package it up for Michael. Only gives ya a month :timer: So ya'll will have to hop to it :cheeky:

Thoughts, feedback or questions?????

ADDS PO ADDY TO SEND SQUARES TOO:
No longer needed

Last edited:
Re: Christmas Present for Michael

i think a quilts a great idea - keep him warm.

Can a square be cross-stitched/embroidered?

I'm good at cross-stitch, and my 15 year old daughter is awesome at creating and stitching her own designs. Plus she has more time on her hands right now than I do, lol!

I have been involved with something like this in my past for a work related gift for someone who was retiring. It turned out so special. She loved it. Looking at all the so very different and original squares is so interesting. And each square represents so well each person's true affection. It comes through.

Great idea, Shannon. :flowers: And having everyone stick to 10 x 10 square size is a must. It will make the construction of the quilt so much easier, and will look better as well.

Can a square be cross-stitched/embroidered?

I'm good at cross-stitch, and my 15 year old daughter is awesome at creating and stitching her own designs. Plus she has more time on her hands right now than I do, lol!

Absolutely :yes: Cool.

I have been involved with something like this in my past for a work related gift for someone who was retiring. It turned out so special. She loved it. Looking at all the so very different and original squares is so interesting. And each square represents so well each person's true affection. It comes through.

Great idea, Shannon. :flowers: And having everyone stick to 10 x 10 square size is a must. It will make the construction of the quilt so much easier, and will look better as well.

Yeah, 10 x 10 seemed a good size and easier to work with. And made from the community it brings a special part of everyone to MJ.

Glad peeps are taking to the idea :yes:

maybe i'll make one with felt :wild: like a picture of Uluru or Melbourne or a kangaroo or something :D

I woulD like take part this gift for Michael but I don't understanding what can I do and HOW!:(

Omg, that's a wonderful idea, I would love to participate only problem is I can't stitch to save my life. Hmm maybe I can find someone who is good at sewing and get them to do it for me.. Better start searching right now...lol

lol open the imagination guys :yes: If you can't sew then decorate the squares in another way :yes:

Dri, do you understand it now? Just decorate a 10 x 10 square :yes:

LJ lol Aussie love :lol:

I love my Aussie home yeah :D

another idea, get some of those material markers or material glue pens or puffy pens and draw/write your picture/message onto a square of material :wild:

oh great idea!! I wonder how should we design it? can we share a blanket for like 3 ppl? I mean my friends and I?

I think it is great, i have participated in it back then, that was a very nice idea of Megan (i think that was the fans name who organized it). I am sure this time it would look also beautiful, but would it not be a "copy" of a previous one? Sorry that i am saying this....actually right now i do not even have "better" (another..) idea myself,lol but will be thinking about it.
But of course i will participate in this as well:punk:

Last edited:

oh great idea!! I wonder how should we design it? can we share a blanket for like 3 ppl? I mean my friends and I?

You don't need to design the whole blanket hun :flowers: just your own square that you want to add to the community blanket :flowers:

Ok, so how many centimeters are 10 inches? 25?

*Scratches head*

Oh gosh, I have no idea what to do with my square. I wish I was at home - I could have beaded something :-(

It's a great idea, but I'm completely worthless in terms of sewing and stuff. Would it be possible to just send in a picture or something that we'd like on the quilt?

If ya want too that's fine :yes: But it is about each adding their uniqueness to the quilt.

I think it is great, i have participated in it back then, that was a very nice idea of Megan (i think that was the fans name who organized it). I am sure this time it would look also beautiful, but would it not be a "copy" of a previous one? Sorry that i am saying this....actually right now i do not even have "better" (another..) idea myself,lol but will be thinking about it.
But of course i will participate in this as well:punk:

Unfortunately, the original quilt from MJNO was never received by Michael. This would be a new start at the project. With the proper means to deliver it.

Ok, so how many centimeters are 10 inches? 25?

*Scratches head*

Oh gosh, I have no idea what to do with my square. I wish I was at home - I could have beaded something :-(

:unsure: No idea - someone?

It's a great idea, but I'm completely worthless in terms of sewing and stuff. Would it be possible to just send in a picture or something that we'd like on the quilt?

You would have to find someone able to do it for you as I'll be busy enough putting them all together. But remember you don't have to sew there are other options for decorating your individual square :yes:

Unfortunately, the original quilt from MJNO was never received by Michael. This would be a new start at the project. With the proper means to deliver it.
oh that is pity :( i totally thought that i have read it back then that Michael has received it... but then i do not remember correctly, and probably just Raymone received it?there were some updates on it maybe last year before Christmas. Since MJNO is closed i can`t check it now.

yes, 10 inch is 25 centimeters... 25,4 cm to be precise.

Nice idea. :flowers:

Shannon, check your PM

oh that is pity :( i totally thought that i have read it back then that Michael has received it... but then i do not remember correctly, and probably just Raymone received it?there were some updates on it maybe last year before Christmas. Since MJNO is closed i can`t check it now.

Yes, there were a few updates in regards to it but bottom line Michael nor Raymone received it.

But this is MJJC and a new project so lets push forward and make it great with the confidence that there won't be any interference and it will reach the proper destination :yes:

I really really really love this project :D

I need to come up with a great design, I have an idea to use hand-woven fabric, it's very characteristic of my country and part of the folklore.

Sth like this with a hand stitched message on it:

CB029208.jpg

Now I just need to find someone to do it for me :unsure:

That's really cool! I love the colors :yes: The idea of bringing a touch of each country to the quilt is awesome!

You know there are computer programs out there that can design stuff and print it on the material or get that iron on paper - all kinds of different ways to design a 10 x 10 square :yes:

Shan, I LOVED the idea!! Couldnt be better!! So it will be a patchwork kind of thing right?? Cool!

Im totally participating!

One question: is there a specific fabric to use??

Also some other options for those who cant sew or stitch:

- write or draw something with fabric glue/glittery pen like LJ said
- make ur design on photoshop or other software and have it printed to a proper transfer paper to iron it on the fabric
- attach or glue beads, bows, ribbons, sequins or other fabrics
- buy a patterned fabric that resembles you or your country and add a message or sth (like daph said)
- paint something with fabric paint

There are tons of ways to do it!! :wild: I wish I could make many of them!

But momma, 1 month only?? thats sometimes how long it takes to send something from one country to another... like from Aussie to the US... (hurry, LJ! :D) so I'll make mine as soon as possible! :mello:

Last edited:

Fabric should be cotton I should think lmao (puts in call to mom).

Yeah, only one month cuz I gotta figure out how to put it together and sew it all in time for Michael to receive it for Christmas :yes:

I have set up an address to receive the squares also so pm me when you are ready to mail them :yes:

Back