View Poll Results: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 26.47%
  • No

25 73.53%
  • Don't Care

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

Absolutely.

In my country, people can vote at the age of 16.

16 year olds are very mature these days and many political decisions affect them as well, so I do believe it's right for them to vote. It's a right and it also means taking responsibility.

Most teenagers here are interested in politics and have many ideas what could be done better.
    Political education is important and young people should be encouraged to participate actively in the social and political life around them.
    I think that we have developed an industry of would-be experts who are not professional, who are not experienced, who are very amateurish about their comments about what's going on in courtrooms and who are willing to give opinions when they're not even there. And I think it has become the theater of the absurd, and I think it reached its lowest level in this case.
    Thomas Mesereau on Larry King Live 05/06/14

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

18 is the legal age and it should remain 18. I believe a parent would influence a teenagers vote if it was lowered to say 16.

When your 18, you are an adult and can make up your own decisions. Leave it as is.
    MJ fan For All Time,
    Eric H "Prince Of Pop"

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

No, def. not. Of course everyone has an opinion, but people under 18 are often more easily to influence and are most of the time not enough informed, since most of them dont really care. There are those who are serious and mature enough to have an own opinion and know whats going on, but a lot of them dont and if youre gonna let the mature teenagers vote, you also need to let the '''not-mature'' teenagers vote. Me myself as a 17 year old teenager, would like to vote, but I know it would not be good for me to vote. I know I have a clear opion and I know from myself that I know quite a lot of politics compared to other kids my age, but I know it wouldnt be realistic for me to vote, because I don't experience causes which have a big effect in the country and world. Like the economy or health care, it doesnt influence me personally because those are things your parents arange because your underage. I don't know how to arange those things personally which makes it quite unrealistic for me to vote about it, of course I have an opinion about how it should work, but my view on those things will never be that reliable because i havent experienced the ups and downs up those things. Then you have those kids who are easily influenced on their friends opions or dont know of any of the ideas and just vote for fun or because it's ''hip''.
    Last edited by snorlaaax; 07-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    Michael Jackson O2 Arena-13th July & 28th July & 3rd March/BK416, A3!!, BK102
    Diana Ross-17th Octobre

Please join our 'sea of love' project for Michael at the O2 Arena: www.myspace.com/heartsformichael

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Under the United States Law:

1.) An adult is an individual who is 18 years or older.

2.) Someone under the age of majority. (Under 18) - Minor

Probate Court Juvenile Division has jurisdiction over anyone under the age of 18 and in some cases (severity of the crime) until the person is 21.

People under the age of 18 must have the "capacity" to enter into a contract and or vote.

CAPACITY is defined as: (1.) The legal power to do something; (2) the ability to understand the nature and effects of one (s) actions or inaction.

Therefore, minors are not permitted to vote.
    Our "Children" Are The Future...WE Are The World...Keep Helping To Heal The World...Knowledge IS Growth...Education IS the Key~~~

Sincerely,
    Susie

Susie Deeds @ www.facebook.com

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I think it's wrong to generalize young people by saying: 18 year olds are more mature than 16 year olds, because it's not true. It's only 2 years, they don't make much difference. If you're not mature enough with 16, you're not mature enough with 18 as well. Parents can influence you at ANY age. Or you can have your own opinion and interests with 15 or 16. It always depend where you come from, what your background is and how open-minded families are.

In my country, people are not allowed to drive a car under the age of 18 and I believe this is right.
    But for voting and participating in political decisions that affect everyone, I still say 16 is a good age to start.
    I think that we have developed an industry of would-be experts who are not professional, who are not experienced, who are very amateurish about their comments about what's going on in courtrooms and who are willing to give opinions when they're not even there. And I think it has become the theater of the absurd, and I think it reached its lowest level in this case.
    Thomas Mesereau on Larry King Live 05/06/14

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
    I think it's wrong to generalize young people by saying: 18 year olds are more mature than 16 year olds, because it's not true. It's only 2 years, they don't make much difference. If you're not mature enough with 16, you're not mature enough with 18 as well. Parents can influence you at ANY age. Or you can have your own opinion and interests with 15 or 16. It always depend where you come from, what your background is and how open-minded families are.

In my country, people are not allowed to drive a car under the age of 18 and I believe this is right.
    But for voting and participating in political decisions that affect everyone, I still say 16 is a good age to start.
    But the thing is that people under 18 dont experience the things personally on which you are voting for. Theres not a child who arranges its own health care or is influenced by the economy personally. That makes an underage vote unreliable, maturity doesnt have anything to do with it.
    Michael Jackson O2 Arena-13th July & 28th July & 3rd March/BK416, A3!!, BK102
    Diana Ross-17th Octobre

Please join our 'sea of love' project for Michael at the O2 Arena: www.myspace.com/heartsformichael

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

No.

Children should not get involved in politics and most children would just vote for who their parents would vote for.

" " A star can never die. It just turns into a smile and melts back into the cosmic music, the dance of life."
    I like that thought, the last one I have before my eyes close. With a smile, I melt back into the music myself" - Michael Jackson

~Lindsey~

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaaax View Post
    No, def. not. Of course everyone has an opinion, but people under 18 are often more easily to influence and are most of the time not enough informed, since most of them dont really care. There are those who are serious and mature enough to have an own opinion and know whats going on, but a lot of them dont and if youre gonna let the mature teenagers vote, you also need to let the '''not-mature'' teenagers vote. Me myself as a 17 year old teenager, would like to vote, but I know it would not be good for me to vote. I know I have a clear opion and I know from myself that I know quite a lot of politics compared to other kids my age, but I know it wouldnt be realistic for me to vote, because I don't experience causes which have a big effect in the country and world. Like the economy or health care, it doesnt influence me personally because those are things your parents arange because your underage. I don't know how to arange those things personally which makes it quite unrealistic for me to vote about it, of course I have an opinion about how it should work, but my view on those things will never be that reliable because i havent experienced the ups and downs up those things. Then you have those kids who are easily influenced on their friends opinions or dont know of any of the ideas and just vote for fun or because it's ''hip''.
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I live in the UK and turned 18 last month but if I lived in the US and the election was before my 18th I would have been wishing I could vote. However at the same time at 17 I probably wouldn't have been as qualified to vote although I keep up to dates with politics, people older than me will have experienced the results of many decisions and will have a better idea as to what will and will not work. Another member suggested maybe having to complete an entry test before being able to vote. I think thats a better idea. I think if a test was put in place for everyone it would be better. With the age lowering and without an entry test I would also be scared of groups of young people influencing each other or making pacts together which may have a negative result.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 1,235 Posts

old thread but no. they too young. let kids be kids and kids stay kids.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,068 Posts

Nah, they can dream of voting one day, but they shouldn’t trust politics at all like I do, they’re cause more corruption and harm than good and making promises like they said they would. They just broke promises way too many times.
    SUPPORTER/FAN of MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA