View Poll Results: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 26.47%
  • No

    25 73.53%
  • Don't Care

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

   
  1. #1
    Points: 70,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    7,793
    Points
    70,031
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,217
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 2,815 Posts

    Default Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Since the whole election buzz is around right now i thought it would interesting to bring up this question. Now i really believe that people under the age of 18 have an opinion and should have a right to vote. Now i think that alot of people's argument would be ''Is anyone under the age of 18 mature enough to vote'' and in repsonse to that i gotta say that just because someone is under the age of 18 it dosen't been their not mature enough, you could also ask the question ''Is a 40 year old mature enough to vote''? cause at the end of the day maturity is about the individual person and not the persons age.

  2. #2
    Points: 37,289, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    10,315
    Points
    37,289
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 871 Times in 384 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    no. because there are domineering parents out there. and a person shouldn't be trusted to vote unless that person has the power to keep their parents from having control over them.
    In Love of Money Land(Branca,sony,mainstream media), it's always a pride and snowy day.

    And, remember when the king of pop fired John Branca?

    https://t.co/dm3MFQdbzd

    http://imgur.com/a/gdU5v It doesn't just... go away.

  3. #3
    Points: 14,894, Level: 79
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Leonards-on-Sea, England
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    14,894
    Level
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    I don't think people under the age of 18 should vote. Although younger people do obviously have an opinion, and many are mature enough, even at 18 you're still heavily influenced by those around you and what they think. The first time i voted i asked my mum who she thought i should vote for, and she encouraged me to look into it and decide for myself...which party would have the biggest positive impact on me and my life.

    It's therefore because once you hit 18 you're able to make an informed decision rather than just following the crowd that i think you shouldn't be able to vote until you hit 18.

  4. #4
    Points: 9,572, Level: 65
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,481
    Points
    9,572
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 508 Times in 182 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Nope there is a time to be an adult and deal with responsibility and there's a time before that. 18 years old is early enough to deal with it.
    Listen!
    Listen most carefully to ppl who are talking bad about others!
    You'll hear them saying most important things about themselves!
    Think!
    Think before you talk! What do you want to say and how you want to say it.
    It will tell the most about yourself!

  5. #5
    Points: 9,021, Level: 63
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    491
    Points
    9,021
    Level
    63
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 99 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    I went with yes. I mean I think it could easily be moved down to 16. There are people out there that that are 16 or even younger that have been paying attention and understand more so than most adults what is going on. They've been all over the news the past 24hours.

    Then again, I can easily see the argument as too why it should stay at 18. So I guess its a bit of a toss up for me.
    So why ain’t you feelin’ me, she’s Invincible
    I can't do anything, she’s Invincible
    Even when I beg and plead, she’s Invincible
    Girl won’t give in to me, she’s Invincible

  6. #6
    Points: 12,731, Level: 73
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Posts
    1,210
    Points
    12,731
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 231 Times in 44 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Here in Brazil the people with 16 years old can vote or not.Under 16 is not allowed.
    But ABOVE 18 the vote is bounden.
    I voted YES.

  7. #7
    Points: 7,282, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    253
    Points
    7,282
    Level
    56
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by vncwilliam View Post
    no. because there are domineering parents out there. and a person shouldn't be trusted to vote unless that person has the power to keep their parents from having control over them.
    i think political education at schools should help teens to form an independent opinion and there would be a lot less ignorance among adults too. voting is anonymous, you don’t have to ask or inform your parents who you're goin to vote for.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyed_belle
    I don't think people under the age of 18 should vote. Although younger people do obviously have an opinion, and many are mature enough, even at 18 you're still heavily influenced by those around you and what they think.
    lol, you contradicted yourself within one sentence.

    The first time i voted i asked my mum who she thought i should vote for, and she encouraged me to look into it and decide for myself...which party would have the biggest positive impact on me and my life.

    It's therefore because once you hit 18 you're able to make an informed decision rather than just following the crowd that i think you shouldn't be able to vote until you hit 18.
    because you didn't have an opinion at age 18 it’s not a reason to not allow others, who have one, to express it by voting in elections.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechi
    Nope there is a time to be an adult and deal with responsibility and there's a time before that. 18 years old is early enough to deal with it.
    some people have enough mature political views at age of 15 and act with more responsibility than many adults. why should they be discriminated? they are people who think and people who don’t. teens should be treated as human beings too and have right to vote if they have basic understanding how their country is governed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    I went with yes. I mean I think it could easily be moved down to 16. There are people out there that that are 16 or even younger that have been paying attention and understand more so than most adults what is going on. They've been all over the news the past 24hours.

    Then again, I can easily see the argument as too why it should stay at 18. So I guess its a bit of a toss up for me.
    I think the right to vote shouldn’t be based on age but some kind of political/social/mass media knowledge test. and it would apply to adults too. then democracy would work much better.

  8. #8
    Points: 20,745, Level: 90
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    arXter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,135
    Points
    20,745
    Level
    90
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 45 Times in 20 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    i don't buy the argument of the 'naive teen' used against them voting. because unfortunately many adults allow themselves to stay naive. in fact, a similar argument was used just a century ago to prevent women getting the right to vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chihiro2 View Post
    I think the right to vote shouldn’t be based on age but some kind of political/social/mass media knowledge test. and it would apply to adults too. then democracy would work much better.
    i agree that there should be a small and quite easy test one has to pass before they can vote. and as you say, there should be no age limit to this test. it would be interesting to think up some specific eligibility requirements.

    but the general reasoning is this: if you're going to have a say in what government we get, you must actually know a thing or two about the system and important rights of citizenship. the vote of folk who don't have the faintest on some fundamentals or the issues, that vote is automatically considered important. and because it is important, politicians will pander to them, and we get a dumbing down of politics.


  9. #9
    Points: 39,192, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In eternal paradise with Michael
    Posts
    13,386
    Points
    39,192
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 454 Times in 270 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    There used to be a time where the voting age in this country was 21. Until it was lower to 18. So I really don't think the voting age should be lower. Because at 18 you are consider and adult. And voting is something only adults should do.

    Though I do remember when I was in 8th grade. My Social Studies teacher had us to vote for the next governor of our state. But that was just something we did for fun. My teacher wanted us to vote and then I think write on why he would make a good governor.

  10. #10
    Points: 12,906, Level: 74
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,015
    Points
    12,906
    Level
    74
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Well you have to think that by lowering the age limit, then an argument can be made that any person of any age can vote. It's merely a cut off point put in place in order to control, just like every other law. 18 seems like a good age since it is at that age when you are viewed, legally, as an adult. If they lower the voting age, then there would be arguments that the age one is deemed an adult would have to change too, which would in turn affect many other laws. Of course, age has nothing to do with intelligence. You're intelligence is innate and not something which can be learned or taught. Only experience can. So I don't think the maturity argument has much weight. But as all things in society are, there has to be a line drawn in order to keep things in the desired order.



  11. #11
    Points: 2,421, Level: 29
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    944
    Points
    2,421
    Level
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Hell no, 18 is the perfect age.

    Oh Mikka. ^_^

  12. #12
    Points: 880, Level: 15
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    274
    Points
    880
    Level
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    being 17, and turning 18 in february, i can definitely attest to being in an very frustrating position for this election and absolutely wish i could have voted.

    i personally am extremely upset over prop 8 being passed here in california and i know a whole lot of young people around my age upset as well and wish we could have put in our vote because it's us that the propositions are going to be affecting as we get older (i'm very bitter about this right now, been fuming all day)

    but with this said, i don't think i would fight for lowering the voting age. there obviously has to be a cut-off somewhere and since 18 has been designated the legal age for just about everything else, i think it fits as voting age as well.


  13. #13
    Points: 2,293, Level: 28
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,561
    Points
    2,293
    Level
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Nah, there needs to be a cut-off. I'm sure a 17 year-old is just as qualified to vote as an 18 year-old, and some are on-the-ball enough to vote even younger than that, but in general 18+ is a nice safe rule to hope that the voters mostly know what they're talking about. The legal adult age being the legal voting age is apropos.

    And I'm not saying that necessarily all adults are better at this than all children, but generally speaking I'm assuming this is the case.
    Last edited by Grand Master S; 06-11-2008 at 05:03 AM.

  14. #14
    Points: 9,572, Level: 65
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,481
    Points
    9,572
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 508 Times in 182 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chihiro2 View Post
    some people have enough mature political views at age of 15 and act with more responsibility than many adults. why should they be discriminated? they are people who think and people who don’t. teens should be treated as human beings too and have right to vote if they have basic understanding how their country is governed.
    I'd certainly never say that's wrong.
    While I also think to not give young ppl already the right to vote doesn't mean to not treat them as human beings.
    If those some youngsters do have mature political views or better let's say informed political view they are very invited to go for it when it's the time.

    Still there has to be a cut off somewhere and I think 18 is a good choice.

    Schools nowadays do give children education also about their working political system as good as possible... at least as long as noone finds better ways.
    While I agree a political informed opinion is important I also think there should be some experiences in everyday adult life... like some job experiences, some social experiences maybe a relationship, if possible some voluntarily social work experiences etc.... at least more than you could ever read in books or even learn in school.

    So the age cut off seems to be ok to me, because it looks that a good majority of young ppl do reach a certain 'mature' age with 18... you can read that easily out of other statistics (employment, crime, traffic accidents etc. etc.)... it's an ok age to be an adult... get independent and take responsibility for yourself and also others.
    Last edited by Mechi; 06-11-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    Listen!
    Listen most carefully to ppl who are talking bad about others!
    You'll hear them saying most important things about themselves!
    Think!
    Think before you talk! What do you want to say and how you want to say it.
    It will tell the most about yourself!

  15. #15
    Points: 4,923, Level: 44
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,169
    Points
    4,923
    Level
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Re: Should people under the age of 18 be allowed to vote?

    Definitely not. A vote is an important thing and an important decision to make. You need to have some level of maturity. Though it can be argued there are many "adults" who are not mature and vote for stupid reasons. But I don't think that justifies letting teenagers vote.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •