sananda maitreya aka terence trent d'arby

It's too bad that Sony sabotaged his career. He mostly performs and records in Italy now.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hof0IRyWyPA&fmt=18=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hof0IRyWyPA&fmt=18=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he sabotoged his own career when he couldn't bring anymore hits. dude was a link between Sam Cooke, Bobby Womack and R.Kelly in that vocal styling but his own ego and whatnot shrotchanged him. you can't blame the labels when you hit big and then when you go wood. he was huge but he also started to believe his own press clippings early on in his career and he was a hit and miss act.

he never up-dated his thing. scary talented Singer and Writer but the other areas were hit and miss IMO and yet I'm still a fan of his work but i also saw how he didn't fully reach his potential as a artist either.

No, when CBS was sold to Sony, he wanted to leave because the people who hired him were all fired, but they wouldn't let him out of his contract, told him what to do, and wouldn't promote the stuff he released. Eventually he bought out of his contract and was suicidal and broke. That was part of the reason he changed his name. TTD was a bad time for him. He was in a situation like Prince, Tori Amos, and George Michael.

I know he does gigs all around europe, especially Italy. Just wish he came to the UK :( He still has it, it's just he likes to be in control of his own music

Re: terence tent darby

he still records and is in italy these days and he made a album a year or so ago which was available on the internet only.

Re: Terence Trent D'Arby

He releases his music as Sananda Maitreya now. He got rid of TTD in the late 1990s.

He releases his music as Sananda Maitreya now. He got rid of TTD in the late 1990s.
and the irony is when he was promoting his album from 2001 on the Jay Leno show Leno said here is TTD and he had him sit out on the couch. this was either late 01 or early 02.

I just bought his album Wildcard on ebay two weeks ago. Check it out it's a very good cd.

Oh gee, really?? Sananda Maitreya?? That's quite the program! How 'bout Melchizedek St. Germain?

What's it sound like at this point?
"The Artist Formerly Known As Cassius Clay" was already taken. :p TTD had problems with Sony, and he changed his name when he got out of his contract. The last album he released as Terence was 1995's Vibrator although some versions of his 2003 album Wildcard was released as TTD and others as Sananda. He has a Youtube channel: Sananda

"The Artist Formerly Known As Cassius Clay" was already taken. :p TTD had problems with Sony, and he changed his name when he got out of his contract. The last album he released as Terence was 1995's Vibrator although some versions of his 2003 album Wildcard was released as TTD and others as Sananda. He has a Youtube channel: Sananda

:D *snort* who didn't, I guess.
I liked, kind of relaxed and chilly. Sort of what you would listen to at a small venue with a good drink in front of you, standing on a small bistro table with busy waiters serving drinks throughout the gig. :D

When he told MTV in 1987 he was 'going to be bigger than Stevie Wonder' I laughed. The guy had one successful album in the States ('Hardline') and nothing else since.

Terence Trent D'Arby (1987-2001) R.I.P.

Marty In LA

[youtube]ZP2eCt853Ro[/youtube]
[youtube]0tojcW2kLWc[/youtube]
[youtube]4SwRhLZI1hM[/youtube]

Re: 1993

[youtube]ZP2eCt853Ro[/youtube]
[youtube]0tojcW2kLWc[/youtube]
[youtube]4SwRhLZI1hM[/youtube]

I absolutely love Terence/Sananda (whatever you want to call him), shame I keep forgetting him and then rediscovering his music on my iPod!

Interesting interview and I think an interesting point on Michael Jackson and Prince and the whole black sexuality thing.

Wishing Well is by far my favourite song!

i'm a huge fan of his, but enjoy all his music prior to Wildcard most, even though i have everything he's done up to The Sphinx!

Everything up to and including Wildcard is amazing ... the stuff since then .... urgh. It's the kind of stuff beginner bands record in the garage. Awful. And this is coming from a HUGE fan. Symphony or Damn is still on at my place every other day.

Everything up to and including Wildcard is amazing ... the stuff since then .... urgh. It's the kind of stuff beginner bands record in the garage. Awful. And this is coming from a HUGE fan. Symphony or Damn is still on at my place every other day.

i agree...now there's only a few odd tracks that stand out here and there. it's a shame cause he really is an enormous talent.

I reckon if he swallowed his pride .. just a little .. and got a producer to work with him he could still release some AMAZING music. Holding onto You is one of my favourite songs EVER. More of that!

I wish he'd released The Soular Return of TTD back in the day

Back