Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 68 USD (36%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

View Poll Results: Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

182 74.29%
  • no

63 25.71%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Janet's career

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Janet's career

No one is trying to discredit Janet, but the Jackson name has helped her. Just look at the fact that Janet's first two albums on A&M flopped and yet she was still able to record another one and wasn't dropped from the label. You can bet if her name had been Janet Washington she would have been dropped from the label and not given another chance to record another album. Thankfully, she worked with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for "Control" and as they say "The rest is history", but it's crazy to deny that the last name helped her. No, it didn't help her maintain all the success she's had all these years, not at all. Janet has herself, producers and choreographers to thank for that, but yes the Jackson name without a doubt helped her when she was starting out and it opened doors for her.

I'm sure the other Jacksons could have had more success though if they were as smart (career wise) and as ambitious as Janet was. If you look at Janet in the beginning, she really was not remarkable. If you watch her early performances or listen to her early music, the stuff she was doing really wasn't that much better than say what Latoya was doing at the time. However, what ultimately made the difference is that Janet is smart and very ambitious. She made a wise decision in hooking up with new producers, hiring the best choreographers, hiring a new manager and ultimately changing her sound and that really changed her career and life forever. On top of that she had the talent to pull it all off as well, but if she hadn't made a drastic change in her sound and image, things would be a lot different for her.
    Last edited by Cinnamon234; 30-12-2008 at 06:40 PM.

And When The Groove
    Is Dead And Gone
    You Know That Love Survives
    So We Can Rock Forever
    1958-Forever!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamon234 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,144 Posts

^^^^^^^But the original post said nothing about music, but whether she got "discovered" and put on TV because she was a Jackson. None of the brothers were known as actors, and being a musician has no pull as far as Hollywood goes. The brothers popularity had kinda faded around that period (and they were considered a teen idol act. Teen acts aren't taken seriously by the powers that be), so just being a Jackson wouldn't have helped her anyway as far as getting on Good Times. It was Joe's idea that she make a record later, not Janet's.
    Last edited by DuranDuran; 30-12-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Let me say this: if you were to judge Janet on her first two studio albums, she wouldn't have become famous. But if Control had been her first studio album, and she wasn't a Jackson, she still would have become incredibly popular. That album was one of the greatest pop albums ever released.

Rest in peace, Michael. Teach the angels to moonwalk.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

^^ You got that right!!! :clapping:

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

And she's also one of few stars to create a name for herself from an already popular superstar family. Like someone said here, she was more ambitious than the others I believe, which is why she's lasted as long as she did. Go on Miss Janet.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with taking a chance, but damn you so mysterious!

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    ^^^^^^^But the original post said nothing about music, but whether she got "discovered" and put on TV because she was a Jackson. None of the brothers were known as actors, and being a musician has no pull as far as Hollywood goes. The brothers popularity had kinda faded around that period (and they were considered a teen idol act. Teen acts aren't taken seriously by the powers that be), so just being a Jackson wouldn't have helped her anyway as far as getting on Good Times. It was Joe's idea that she make a record later, not Janet's.
    I thought she was discovered as an actor because of the 'Jacksons Variety show'...which she would not have appeared on had she not been a Jackson....the producer (or someone) from 'Good times' saw her skits with Randy and decided to audition her for 'Good Times' ....so techically it was her being a jackson and being able to participate in that variety show that got her discovered..
    "...family is everything to us...its love...thats what we were taught...and despite what the media and the public like to say we are friends at the end of the day and we love each other very much" - MICHAEL JACKSON on Geraldo 2005 (on his siblings)

Please Check Out My Jackson Family Youtube Channel!!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by libsta81 View Post
    I thought she was discovered as an actor because of the 'Jacksons Variety show'...which she would not have appeared on had she not been a Jackson....the producer (or someone) from 'Good times' saw her skits with Randy and decided to audition her for 'Good Times' ....so techically it was her being a jackson and being able to participate in that variety show that got her discovered..
    It wan't the TV show, but Norman Lear saw the family act in Vegas as I mentioned earlier. The family had an engagement in Las Vegas in the mid 70s. Still being a musical act has no pull in Hollywood, so being a Jackson in itself didn't get her the job. She got seen because she was performing with her brothers. She could have been Marie Osmond, if Norman had went to see the Osmond show. Norman just happened to go to a Jackson show.
    Last edited by DuranDuran; 31-12-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It helped her in that she got public exposure, acting, in a varitey performance show in Vegas. Without her brothers, the likelyhood that she would have been in a variety show on Vegas to expose her to talent scouts wouldn't have been nearly as likely and Janet's talent on it's own, without that push, I don't think would have been enough to get her anywhere. Her acting talent isn't anything exceptional. It's more her charisma talent then acting.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

^^ Well we can thank Joe for encouraging her to do it then. Janet wanted to be a horse jockey, remember? Joe told 7-year-old Janet to join her family's entertainment show and she obliged. The rest is history.

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I don't think anybody can deny that being a Jackson got Janet that kickstart in her musical career, but it was her talent that gave her success and longevity.

Rest in peace, Michael. Teach the angels to moonwalk.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by troubleman84 View Post
    ^^ Well we can thank Joe for encouraging her to do it then. Janet wanted to be a horse jockey, remember? Joe told 7-year-old Janet to join her family's entertainment show and she obliged. The rest is history.
    Well sure. I think Joe wanted all his kids to be superstars or somethin', lol. Like cinnamon also pointed out, Janet's intelligence and ambition, along with her charisma, also it what helped her attain and retain the status she did. You have to have the drive too.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannabestartinsomthin21 View Post
    It helped her in that she got public exposure, acting, in a varitey performance show in Vegas. Without her brothers, the likelyhood that she would have been in a variety show on Vegas to expose her to talent scouts wouldn't have been nearly as likely and Janet's talent on it's own, without that push, I don't think would have been enough to get her anywhere. Her acting talent isn't anything exceptional. It's more her charisma talent then acting.
    I understand your point. But the original post isn't worded clearly. It makes it sound like they went to TV producers and said, "We're the Jackson 5, and this is our sister Janet, so hire her", lol. That's what I meant by the name wouldn't have had any power with the TV or movie community.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I like Janet am in my 40's and I have followed the career's of the Jackson's since the 70's. My family and I love all of them.

I can remember very well how in interviews in the ealry 80's, janet aknowledged how her famous lastname alone got her foot in the door with director's or producers when she was interested or Joseph( her then MGR) was interested in her for a project. She has admitted to this in the early days more than once as I recall.

I agree, her longevity is due to her talent and ambitions.

Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

a little of both
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0XD5WmxUM <--- "The Way You make Me Feel Live Vs Video. Check it Out!

FOR YOU'RE ALWAYS,IN MY HEART
    ITS 2009 AND MICHAEL AND I ARE IN TOUR MODE
    MICHAEL IM COMIN 2 JAM WITH U ON JULY 13TH,2009

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I understand your point. But the original post isn't worded clearly. It makes it sound like they went to TV producers and said, "We're the Jackson 5, and this is our sister Janet, so hire her", lol. That's what I meant by the name wouldn't have had any power with the TV or movie community.
    Oh, yeah, well that's true, lol.