James Brown - MJ Related

DuranDuran

Proud Member
There's a book called The James Brown Reader which contains articles and interviews of JB from 1959 through 2007. There is one article from September 1984 about JB working with Afrika Bambaataa on the record "Unity". The story is called The Renegade & the Godfather by Gavin Martin. At one point the interviewer asks about The Jacksons:

Have you seen The Jacksons show?
JB: I didn't get a chance though I was invited there. But Michael is doing very good and well enough without me not to bother seeing him. I don't want to distract attention away from him. Kids need to look at Michael, not me. We got Michael going, now we got to work on Prince and Bambaataa.
Jackson regularly checks you as a major influence but the elements of sexual ambiguity and childlike wonderment in his act seems at odds with the masculine tradition that you celebrated. Would you agree with Black Muslims who've said his image is "Sissyfied"?
JB: I haven't anything to do with that. I'm not here to talk about that. I think you've run out of questions, haven't you? Don't get fresh when you come back to me. I don't want to talk about other people. Don't ask me those sort of questions. I'm here to talk about this thing (points to a copy of 'Unity'). You'll talk to Bambaataa now.

Whoops, think I just blew the James Brown story. The great man ups and walks off to complain to Mister Stallings (JB's manager).

Re: James Brown

There's a book called The James Brown Reader which contains articles and interviews of JB from 1959 through 2007. There is one article from September 1984 about JB working with Afrika Bambaataa on the record "Unity". The story is called The Renegade & the Godfather by Gavin Martin. At one point the interviewer asks about The Jacksons:

Have you seen The Jacksons show?
JB: I didn't get a chance though I was invited there. But Michael is doing very good and well enough without me not to bother seeing him. I don't want to distract attention away from him. Kids need to look at Michael, not me. We got Michael going, now we got to work on Prince and Bambaataa.
Jackson regularly checks you as a major influence but the elements of sexual ambiguity and childlike wonderment in his act seems at odds with the masculine tradition that you celebrated. Would you agree with Black Muslims who've said his image is "Sissyfied"?
JB: I haven't anything to do with that. I'm not here to talk about that. I think you've run out of questions, haven't you? Don't get fresh when you come back to me. I don't want to talk about other people. Don't ask me those sort of questions. I'm here to talk about this thing (points to a copy of 'Unity'). You'll talk to Bambaataa now.

Whoops, think I just blew the James Brown story. The great man ups and walks off to complain to Mister Stallings (JB's manager).

I dont get the whole point, umm, he was right y do they always try to talk about MJ?, i dont get it, besides you got JB in front of you, ( i would have been amazed) you should be talkin to him, interested in him, but you know, this world is, i dont get the world, and the journalists neither.

I dont get the whole point, umm, he was right y do they always try to talk about MJ?, i dont get it, besides you got JB in front of you, ( i would have been amazed) you should be talkin to him, interested in him, but you know, this world is, i dont get the world, and the journalists neither.

Journalisme these days is very very poor!

It's not objective, it's not accurate, sometimes it has never even happend!

Sad to say, but real journalism is dead! Every story is twisted and turned, and the journalist who writes the story, his opinion is a big cloudy shadow over the story!

:no:

Journalisme these days is very very poor!

It's not objective, it's not accurate, sometimes it has never even happend!

Sad to say, but real journalism is dead! Every story is twisted and turned, and the journalist who writes the story, his opinion is a big cloudy shadow over the story!

:no:
Yes you're SOOO right, it is sad, they can make someone look the way they want it, its time people starts to see through their stories, but i think that would take time, sadly:no:
But hey, we the MJ fans have an acid eye when it comes to them, hahahah:yes:

its pretty normal for him to ask about Michael and the Jacksons cause they were friends. it was when the interviewer started trying to talk shit about Michael that James got pissed, and rightly so.

its pretty normal for him to ask about Michael and the Jacksons cause they were friends. it was when the interviewer started trying to talk shit about Michael that James got pissed, and rightly so.
Yes of course i know, James Brown was a good person, they always start talking about MJ and it all begins well, and then the interviewer starts going stupid and talkin S*** about MJ, is it an obssesion? always talkin s*** about Michael?

Uuuh that is something all famous people who have anything to do with Michael must deal with. Interesting point of view

I wouldn't be surprised if James Brown had cussed out as the interviewer started talkin shit about MJ. He's such a strong character. Good to hear he stopped the flow quickly like that. We know some other celebs did and would do the same thing. Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Elizabeth Taylor,....

Yeah James Brown sure was a very fine man!

February 27, 1985 interview

James briefly mentions Mike at 2:30

Back