Sam Cooke

caleb20003

Proud Member
Never appreciated Sam Cookes studio stuff too much, always found it too smooth but the live albums are magic...

This is just fantastic.

the live albums are magic...
that particular one you posted from, the Harlem Sqr Club set, is up there with my top 5 live albums ever. *goose bumps*

i need to up my Sam Cooke game, looking forward to reading this thread as it unfolds..

sowqdj.jpg

That's Where It's At

Sam was one of the first singers/performers who wrote his own material. He also owned his songs and started a record label. A lot of singers' vocal style came from him, like Rod Stewart, Johnnie Taylor, Terrence Trent D'Arby, Steve Perry, Gerald Alston, and many more. James Brown said once that if he could sing like Sam, he wouldn't have to do all of that dancing, lol.

I absolutely love "Love Will Find A Way" and "If I Had a Hammer" live from The Copa.

Very sad he didn't it make it to the late 60's and into the 70's and 80's.

I absolutely love "Love Will Find A Way" and "If I Had a Hammer" live from The Copa.

Very sad he didn't it make it to the late 60's and into the 70's and 80's.

My current favourite from that album is Tennessee Waltz

IT's a very personal opinion but Rod Stewart puts me off Sam Cooke a bit because he seems to have completely copied Sams vocal styling (and songs). I don't who wrote the Rod Stewart hit Sailing but it seems to be a complete copy of 'Having a party' and I know he covered some other songs and is obviously a fan but it bothers me.

I wonder if any of these Michael Jackson impersonators we have today goes on to be as successful as Rod Stewart, will people in 20 years forget that they basically had little originality.

Last edited:
My current favourite from that album is Tennessee Waltz

IT's a very personal opinion but Rod Stewart puts me off Sam Cooke a bit because he seems to have completely copied Sams vocal styling (and songs). I don't who wrote the Rod Stewart hit Sailing but it seems to be a complete copy of 'Having a party' and I know he covered some other songs and is obviously a fan but it bothers me.

I wonder if any of these Michael Jackson impersonators we have today goes on to be as successful as Rod Stewart, will people in 20 years forget that they basically had little originality.
I like Rod, but don't really care for those big band albums he did, lol. I'm not a hardcore fan, but he's cool.

Yeah, same here. Not a huge fan, but he's got a lot of stuff I like. I got his definitive collection off iTunes and still had to purchase a few singles, so he's someone I do admire a bit.

My favorites I mentioned earlier:

Love Will Find A Way:

If I Had A Hammer (Live At The Copa):

Reading a book about Sam at the moment and its amazing some of the similarities with MJ.
I never knew for instance that people started making up rumours that Sam had Luekemia this was not that long before he died/was murdered? He also was very involved in breaking down the barriers and crossing the line between Black and white Music, so much so he was the 2nd highest selling artist behind Elvis at the time despite the incredible racism around.
He also did his best to get into the publishing side of things (where all the money went) and was despised in many quarters for this, especially by the large record companies.

Of course he also suffered the tragic loss of his small child in a pool accident and that changed his personality and made him drink more and change his behaviour in general which ultimately led him into getting into situations which in the end sadly caused his death prematurely.

Reading a book about Sam at the moment and its amazing some of the similarities with MJ.
I never knew for instance that people started making up rumours that Sam had Luekemia this was not that long before he died/was murdered? He also was very involved in breaking down the barriers and crossing the line between Black and white Music, so much so he was the 2nd highest selling artist behind Elvis at the time despite the incredible racism around.
He also did his best to get into the publishing side of things (where all the money went) and was despised in many quarters for this, especially by the large record companies.

Of course he also suffered the tragic loss of his small child in a pool accident and that changed his personality and made him drink more and change his behaviour in general which ultimately led him into getting into situations which in the end sadly caused his death prematurely.
He makes a joke about this on the 'Live At The Harlem Square Club' album.

one of the mount rushmore's of r&b/pop music. a voice and songwriting skills that are still emulated,but never duplicated.

his gospel music arguably takes out his secular music and that is saying something.

smart businessman as well.

he had it all and he was so polished. badd cat

If not for Sam, there wouldn't have been a Rod Stewart or Steve Perry.

[youtube]ofG4AzL58Pw&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]NdAqbxM6Ck8&fmt=18[/youtube]

'Deep Soul The Up Rising Of Sam Cooke' is a fascinating look at not only the development of Cooke's musical style, but also the Soul music movement in general. 'The Gospel Highway' which contributed a great deal to American Pop music, is given it's proper recognition here. I enjoyed these first 2 parts and look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Thank you Duran Duran, please post the other parts of the Cooke documentary soon.

Marty In LA

I cant believe I just found this thread!
Sam Cooke is amazing, another one of my favourites, I love his voice.

& thanks Duran Duran for that Documentary. So interesting :)

one of the mount rushmore's of r&b/pop music. a voice and songwriting skills that are still emulated,but never duplicated.

his gospel music arguably takes out his secular music and that is saying something.

smart businessman as well.

he had it all and he was so polished. badd cat

And that's why I like him. :D

[youtube]TTdGAi8bfPs[/youtube]

[youtube]pX6QlnlMqjE&feature=related[/youtube]

And I love, love Rome wasn't built in a day. And so many more. His voice is so smooth.

Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

Written by Sam Cooke / Betty and Beverly Prudhomme

Recorded January 28, 1964 at RCA Studios in California

Produced by Sam Cooke

Musicians

Chuck Badie (bass)
Harold Battiste (piano)
John Boudreaux (drums)
John Ewing (Trombone)
William Green (saxophone)
René Hall (guitar)
Melvin Lastie (trumpet)
Clifton White (guitar)
Red Tyler - saxophone
Information

the Prudhomme twins wrote it in 1957 and went to a producer called Fabor Robinson. When Beverly was pregnant it was given to Johnny Russell
First recorded by country singer Johnny Russell in 1958.
Sam rewrote the song (he added two verses) for Johnnie Taylor and also recorded it himself
Johnnie Taylor performed the song on tv in 1964 on The Beat.
The twins didn't like the fact that it was Taylor and not Cooke he recorded it and even tried to stop it. When Sam promised to also record it himself they backed down.
MP3 at Amazon.com

Albums

Ain't That Good News
Keep Movin' On
The Man And His Music
Lyrics / Guitar Chords

(chorus)
Don't, honey don't go away, no no
Don't you hear, don't you hear
what I say, what I say
Give me time, give me time
I'm gonna make your love as strong as mine
But I know Rome wasn't built in a day

Now you know that I love you, dear with all my heart
I know that you didn't love from the start
That I'm planting a little seed in your heart, I know
and it just needs time to grow, baby

(chorus)

Listen to me, honey now
How would Romeo feel if his Juliet
Had turned down his advances and played hard-to-get
He wouldn't have let this bother him, I know
Because where there's life, there's hope

(chorus)

Don't you hear me tellin' you that Rome wasn't built in a day
Don't you realize that Rome wasn't built in a day

Also Recorded By

Arthur Conley on "Atlantic Unearthed", get it at Amazon.com
L.C. Cooke - on "Sings the Great Years of Sam Cooke"
Terence Simien on "The Tribute Sessions". Get it at Amazon.com
Johnny Taylor on "SAR Records Story", get it at Amazon.com
Maxine Thomas on "Roots: The Rock and Roll Sound of Louisiana and Mississippi". Get it at Amazon.com

http://songsofsamcooke.com/albumdisco.htm

I love simple lyrics that convey so much. It's not profound but it is stirring and deep.

Deep Soul 5 & 6

[youtube]LhXAh1P32-4&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]v16QbI48tkw&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back