Most collected artists in your crates

arXter

Proud Member
been cataloguing my collection in past weeks, and the database sorted an artist list of my most collected.

whether it's CDs, MP3s, 12", 7", cassettes, videos etc., how do your artists/musicians rank in the amount you've collected over the years? (#1 being the most collected)

can have 'joints' (=p) and maybe indicate just how many records/albums you own by each artist if you're up to it.

I haven't bothered to count (or know who has the biggest quantity), but the acts with the highest volume are:

Stevie Wonder
The Jacksons/J5
Gap Band (+ Charlie Wilson solo)
Michael Jackson
Jermaine Jackson
Janet Jackson
Johnnie Taylor
Prince
En Vogue
Madonna (never bought or heard the last one though)
Daryl Hall & John Oates
Wham!/George Michael (I even have Andrew's solo album, lol)
Beatles (plus a few of their solo albums)
George Benson
Marvin Gaye
New Edition & offsprings (BBD, Ralph Tresvant, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill)
Mariah Carey

There's others that don't have that much material out, but I pretty much have all/most of their albums like:

Minnie Riperton, Sade, Shanice Wilson, Swing Out Sister, Basia, Terence Trent D'Arby, The Time + solo (Morris Day, Jesse Johnson), Lisa Stansfield, Tears For Fears (except the ones that are really Roland Orzabal solo albums but released under TFF), Tony! Toni! Tone'!, Chante' Moore, DeBarge, El DeBarge, The Police, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Whitney Houston, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Joss Stone, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Nelly, Digable Planets, Jill Scott

1. Stevie Wonder (well over 2,500 songs, though some are duplicated from Greatest Hits packages and the like)
CDs I own:
I Was Made To Love Her
Down To Earth
For Once In My Life
My Cherie Amour
Music Of My Mind
Talking Book
Innervisions
Fulfillingness First Finale
Songs In The Key Of Life
Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants
Hotter Than July
Woman In Red Soundtrack
In Square Circle
Characters
Jungle Fever Soundtrack
Conversation Peace
Natural Wonder
Live In London 1995 (A Night of Wonder)
Definitive Collection
Song Review
A Time To Love

Live Albums (Bootlegs)
Live At Finsbury Park (Funkafied Rainbow) - 1973 (I think)
Live At Berkeley - 1973
Wonder-Dream Concert - 1995 w/Bob Marley & others
Secret Life Of Plants Tour - Pasadena, CA - 1978
Live At The Forum
Live At The Roxy
Live At The Circle Star Theatre
Live In Atlanta 1988
Live In Pasadena 1988
Live From Budokan - 1982
Live From Budokan - 1988
Natural Wonder Tour - Madrid, Spain 1992
Natural Wonder Tour - Boston, MA 1995
Baltimore, MD - 1998
2005 - Abbey Road Studios (Soundboard)
2007 - Chicago, Ill
2007 - Glendale, AZ (Phoenix)
2007 - Grand Prairie, TX (Dallas)
2007 - Montreal, Canada
2007 - Uncasville, CT
2007 - Los Angeles
2008 - Holland
2008 - Paris
2008 - Los Angeles
2008 - Boston, MA
2008 - Concord, CA

In additon, I have DVD rips of audio, and iTunes' 579-track Complete Set, which includes all the official releases plus many rarities, remixes, alternative versions & more.

2. Michael Jackson
3. Jackson 5/Jacksons

I don't need to go over all of the official releases, but I've got all of MJ's normal stuff (Off the Wall, Bad, etc.) plus I've got a few boots of MJ, I've got a few compilation sets, several J5 albums and The Jacksons (self-titled), Destiny, Triumph & Victory. I need to get Goin' Places and 2300 Jackson Street yet. I've got quite a few MJ boots as well, and some audio rips from some of the bootleg concerts.

4. R. Kelly

I'm not nearly as high on his recent stuff as I am his work in the 90's, but I do love R. Kelly's good stuff. Most of his output in the 90's was stellar and he definitely new how to walk the line between old-school and new school. At some point in the last five years, he fell off the wire and landed on the new-school side. What a shame.

5. Prince

I don't have much of his older stuff, as I've never really cared for it. I've got some stuff like Purple Rain, 1999, Batman Soundtrack and Sign O The Time, but I really only like about two tracks on Sign, which is one of his most praised albums. I prefer some of his bigger 90's hits and his more recent work. I like the Emancipation album quite a bit, as well as his three most recent albums (Planet Earth, 3121 & Musicology). A lot of his live recordings are fun too, I have probably 5 or 6 good boots of his. I'm sure people who are deep into Prince probably have 25,000 tracks of his, the guy has done a LOT of shows and had a LOT of recordings.

Those are the main ones. I'm not sure where I'd go from there, but I'd imagine I have quite a few John Legend tracks as well.

great lists, guys. though i've pretty much got to know most of yours in here already, lol. and D_D put me on to some awe-inspiring acts throughout the past year. beautiful stuff..

and Supe, again, we're on the same level as Prince although lately i've overcome my prejudices regarding 80s synths and drum machines and had a little breakthrough with his ultra cool Madhouse projects. jazz, funk and soul should be fused more often. anyway, i'm only just getting the time and frame of mind for his earlier material..

DuranDuran said:
There's others that don't have that much material out, but I pretty much have all/most of their albums like:
i realised that was the flaw in this sort of "ranking" lists, which i initially thought would be more 'personally objective' than most others.

anyway, my generated list is inclusive of all major credits alongside "artist/act", like writing / production / instruments, and remixes play a big part too.

01. Mike  20. Aphex Twin  41. Steve Spacek  01. J Dilla / Ummah  21. Horace Silver  42. Jon B  02. MJ Cole  22. John Coltrane  43. Kraftwerk  03. Stevie Wonder  23. Miles Davis  44. Dre & Vidal  04. Paco de Lucia  24. P-Funk  45. Brand New Heavies  05. Soulquarians  25. Patrice Rushen  46. Strange Fruit Project  06. Todd Edwards  26. Sting  47. Jamiroquai  07. Jacksons  27. Herbie Hancock  48. Nicolay  08. Madlib  28. Minnie / Rotary  49. Prince  09. Leon Ware  29. Eddie Kendricks  50. Joni Mitchell  09. Marvin Gaye  30. Raph Saadiq  51. Winehouse / Ronson  10. Pete Rock  31. Pink Floyd  52. Fugees  11. Rachmaninoff  32. D'Angelo  53. Flying Lotus  12. Isleys / Jasper  33. James Brown  54. R. Kelly  13. Earth, Wind  34. Teddy Riley  55. Bob Marley  13. Crusaders  35. Mendes / Brasil  56. George Benson  14. Flyte Tyme  36. RZA  57. Scritti P / Garside  15. Roy Ayers  37. Kev Brown  58. Daft Punk  16. Idris Muhammad  38. DJ Premier  59. Opolopo  17. Dwele  39. The Characters  60. Coldplay  18. Quincy Jones  39. Marley Marl  61. Outkast  19. Jimi Hendrix  40. The Neptunes  62. Ndegeocello

#5 groups together many names and the rest after ~70 are one/two albums, singles, etc.

Last edited:
Funny you have Herbie and Joni Mitchell on there, I've got a DVD of his Nissan Live Sets from last year where Joni joines Herbie for a performance of "River" (the same version that Corinne Bailey Rae did on the album and the video you posted some time back). I have been watching that a lot recently.

Herbie's stuff spans the spectrum, old-school jazz, classical piano, modern blues/jazz and hip-hop. He also does Rockit on that live sets video and it is something awesome. I've only begun collecting his stuff over the last couple of years, I can see it ballooning in a few years time.

yeah Herbie should be a great inspiration for any keyboardist because of his versatility, let alone attracting any fan of jazz fusions. and even though i prefer Joe Sample when it comes to the genre, Herbie will remain more of a virtuoso for me than any other.

and Joni's folk touch on jazz is really something. that's what i like about her, and she's of the few artists whose lyrics i actually pay attention to.

I'm only working on getting the albums for now, so
Toni Braxton - Exception of her debut and Secrets.
Mariah Carey - Exception of her debut, Emotions, Daydream, Glitter, TEOM, and E=MC2
Janet Jackson - Exception of her debut, Dream Street, Control, All For You and 20 Y.O.
Erykah Badu - WorldWide Underground is the only album left; oh and Baduizm Live.

I actually had All For You, but it's be long lost gone for a couple of years now. So saaad. I plan to start on Radiohead some day. And believe it or not... I only have MJ's Invincible cd :trish: . But I will keep on with the collection once I have HIStory in my possession, but I can't find it here in lil old Valdosta; I saw it up in the ATL when I was visiting my dad, but I didn't get it... damn.

.....Wow. Can I say that I am jealous of all of your collections! Obviously a lot of hard work went into creating your collections I assume. Me, I don't have the money to do that right now. I can only hope to collect half as much as you guys seem to have.

My most collected artists go in order from greatest to least.

1. John Mayer (including the Trio, and gigs before he became famous)
2. Michael Jackson
3. Janet Jackson
4. Ben Folds
5. Prince (i gotta work on this one, he's got a bazillion things out there I need!!)
6. Allison Krauss
7. Phish

I guess I should say that I have plenty of other artists, it's just they rank from 1 to 2 cd's of their work. Not enough, imo, to consider a collection. I have many Greatest Hits collections too. When I first get into an artist, I buy a greatest hits cd and rank that onto if I want to buy any more of their music. I have a large collection compared to my friends luckily. Usually when they need music for something, they come to me. Lol, i'm their music dealer!

I got a long way to go...

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of hard work went into creating your collections I assume. Me, I don't have the money to do that right now.
hah i'd have to be a millionaire to buy ~70% of the ish i got - which is in fact downloaded "illegally". and the other ~30% is cheap vinyl bought from charity shops (with the odd rare CD/12" singles/promos bought over the net). in fact, just about the only CDs/DVDs i own are Mike's and Stevie's. instead i continue on being broke through spending the cash on live gigs..

but you can say the hard work goes into finding the highest quality downloads, lol. and also the right networks to cop them from.

although it's not a thievery habit i plan on continuing after finishing uni and getting my career on a roll. hopefully i can manage to completely reduce my digital footprints by the age of 30.
f_blush.gif

This probably isn't completely accurate but here goes;

1. Michael
2. Stevie Wonder
3. D'angelo
4. Jamiroquai
5. Jurassic 5
6. Tribe Called Quest/Q-Tip
7. Zapp & Roger
8. Jazzy Jeff mixes/collabs
9. Common
10. Todd Edwards
11. Pharoahe Monch
12. Dilated Peoples
13. Musiq Soulchild
14. Audio Bullys
15. The Streets
16. Kool and the Gang
17. Average White Band
18. Level 42
19. Huey Lewis and the News
20. Chaka Khan
21. Ray Charles
22. The Pharcyde
23. Isley Brothers
24. Talib Kweli
25. Ugly Duckling
26. Eminem
27. MJ Cole
28. Various 70's/80's funk bands in a folder (Chic, Gap Band, The Deele, Ohio Players)
29. Freddy Mecury solo work + some Queen.
30. Beastie Boys
31. Black Eyed Peas
32. La Roux
33. Justice
34. Basement Jaxx
35. Prince
36. The Prodigy

I also know that this list, from around 6 or 7 is really not in its complete or perfect order.. But these are the artists and bands that I know I have collected various vinyl/tape/mp3's from. And as with ArXter, the Mp3 is a bad habit which will continue until I stop living off of loans for University and start getting paid some time! I have missed so many off, just looked at some folders on my computer from back in teh day! Brand New Heavies.. woops!

Great lists guys, really impressive stuff.. Btw, Arx.. what Uni/Course do you go to/study?

Not enough, imo, to consider a collection. I have many Greatest Hits collections too. When I first get into an artist, I buy a greatest hits cd and rank that onto if I want to buy any more of their music.
I only buy hits compilations for people that I liked the songs which were played on the radio, but not interested in them enough to buy their albums, like Foreigner.

hah i'd have to be a millionaire to buy ~70% of the ish i got - which is in fact downloaded "illegally". and the other ~30% is cheap vinyl bought from charity shops (with the odd rare CD/12" singles/promos bought over the net). in fact, just about the only CDs/DVDs i own are Mike's and Stevie's. instead i continue on being broke through spending the cash on live gigs..

but you can say the hard work goes into finding the highest quality downloads, lol. and also the right networks to cop them from.

although it's not a thievery habit i plan on continuing after finishing uni and getting my career on a roll. hopefully i can manage to completely reduce my digital footprints by the age of 30.
f_blush.gif

I'm with ya! As soon as I get outta college and get myself a job, i'm cracking down on getting a lot of the music I have ...legally. 75% of my music is illegal as well. I'm such a bad musician, buying illegally. But hey, I can't help it. I listen to new music like a druggie needs to shoot up, so I'm not gonna wait for the next paycheck or birthday card.

Foxy...I like your list, my friend!

Everything I have is hard copies, records or CDs. I have a few pre-made cassettes, but I rarely bought them, except blank tapes. I still have a few 8-tracks, but since I have nothing to play them on, they're in a box somewhere at my grandmother's house. She has an 8-track player. I've never downloaded anything except acapella songs and a few obscure things on Youtube. MP3's sound crappy to me. People have given me CDs that they downloaded, that's it. I used to tape off the radio when I was little, so that might be similar, lol.

Everything I have is hard copies, records or CDs. I have a few pre-made cassettes, but I rarely bought them, except blank tapes. I still have a few 8-tracks, but since I have nothing to play them on, they're in a box somewhere at my grandmother's house. She has an 8-track player. I've never downloaded anything except acapella songs and a few obscure things on Youtube.

i knew that already, but still deserves a
bow.gif
lol

although i have to protest your dissing of MP3s, =D.... 256kbps and upwards, one can never tell the difference to its raw digital counterpart by ear. and if you rip a vinyl into it, it'll sound exactly the same ^.^

(science, lol)

but if mixing and digital audio editing is involved.. an MP3 is a no-no. that's my only con when it comes to high-quality compressed files.

I encode all my stuff to Apple Lossless for archiving (I've got 300+ CDs, maybe even 400+, in addition to CD rips on a tiny, USB-powered hard drive in lossless format :)) and then I've got all those in 192kbps VBR mp3 format and I can't tell a difference between the two whatsoever. I'll also occasionally buy some stuff from Amazon or iTunes in 256kbps format.

didn't bother to count accurately, but i think this is an approximate order of my most collected artists:

1. Michael Jackson
2. Pink Floyd
3. Jacksons/Jackson 5
4. Jamiroquai
5. Sting/The Police
6. Brand New Heavies
7. Incognito
8. Bjork
9. Herbie Hancock
10. Chris Botti
11. Moby
12. Miles Davis
13. Stevie Wonder
14. Ray Charles
15. Freddie Mercury/Queen
16. De Phazz
17. Erykah Badu
18. Thievery Corporation
19. George Michael
20. Pat Metheny
21. Sade
22. Coldplay
23. Jazzanova
24. Mariah Carey
25. Air
26. Jon B
27. Amy Winehouse
28. Raphael Saadiq
29. Janet Jackson
30. Maxwell
31. D’Angelo
32. Zero 7
33. Prince
34. Led Zeppelin

most of the stuff i've got is also downloaded illegally lol because i didn't buy almost any music when i was a student, but in the past year i slowly started building my cd collection =D

and some of the things above i listened to only once or/and years ago (like Queen or Prince) i have also many mp3s (not included in the list) that i never listened to at all and probably never will lol.

Last edited:
I've been able to download a crapload of stuff thanks to a really good used record store downtown where I live. There's always new stuff coming in, and they go for 2-4 dollars a piece. Plus, you can get on Amazon and get a CD for between 3 and 5 dollars used if they are fairly common and were in wide production at one point. Same with books.

I also use a couple of lossless live bootleg sites to download CD-quality live recordings (though some of them are audience recordings, but many are really good when done by someone experienced). If I've got a good live recording on DVD, I'll rip the audio... I've built a nice collection.

Of course, I still have about half my collection from "other methods", lol.

anyway, my generated list is inclusive of all major credits alongside "artist/act", like writing / production / instruments, and remixes play a big part too.

01. Mike 20. Aphex Twin 41. Steve Spacek 01. J Dilla / Ummah 21. Horace Silver 42. Jon B 02. MJ Cole 22. John Coltrane 43. Kraftwerk 03. Stevie Wonder 23. Miles Davis 44. Dre & Vidal 04. Paco de Lucia 24. P-Funk 45. Brand New Heavies 05. Soulquarians 25. Patrice Rushen 46. Strange Fruit Project 06. Todd Edwards 26. Sting 47. Jamiroquai 07. Jacksons 27. Herbie Hancock 48. Nicolay 08. Madlib 28. Minnie / Rotary 49. Prince 09. Leon Ware 29. Eddie Kendricks 50. Joni Mitchell 09. Marvin Gaye 30. Raph Saadiq 51. Winehouse / Ronson 10. Pete Rock 31. Pink Floyd 52. Fugees 11. Rachmaninoff 32. D'Angelo 53. Flying Lotus 12. Isleys / Jasper 33. James Brown 54. R. Kelly 13. Earth, Wind 34. Teddy Riley 55. Bob Marley 13. Crusaders 35. Mendes / Brasil 56. George Benson 14. Flyte Tyme 36. RZA 57. Scritti P / Garside 15. Roy Ayers 37. Kev Brown 58. Daft Punk 16. Idris Muhammad 38. DJ Premier 59. Opolopo 17. Dwele 39. The Characters 60. Coldplay 18. Quincy Jones 39. Marley Marl 61. Outkast 19. Jimi Hendrix 40. The Neptunes 62. Ndegeocello

#5 groups together many names and the rest after ~70 are one/two albums, singles, etc.

Sweet Mother of Jesus, have mercy! :bugeyed That's one hell of a list! :bugeyed :worship:

I don't listen to so many artists (yet), only have a few favourites that I listen to like a mad-man :doh: :lol:

And same here, most of my stuff is downloaded illegally :-( Would cost me a fortune to buy everything I like. Only when it comes to MJ I don't refrain from spending.
It's also cause of the fact that many of my favourite artists are Japanese (yes yes, I know, you've read it a million times already :lol: ), so buying their work would involve a lot of shipping costs that I could never afford :mello: I really regret the situation - I mean, I actually feel guilty towards those artists! :cry: I would love to own their work in a "physical" form, but I'd go bankrupt in no time :mello:

I'm planning on buying the new Placebo album though (which will be released this summer), I really like them and I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. It would be my first non-MJ album in ages :lol:

I'd say U2 is my most collected at the moment, with over 600 songs on my ipod.

I just looked through my iTunes library to see what artists I had the most albums of.

1. Prince - 22 albums
2. Queen - 15 albums
3. The Beatles - 13 albums
4. Parliament Funkadelic - 12 albums
5. Michael Jackson - 9 albums
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - 8 albums
7. Marilyn Manson - 7 albums
8. R.E.M. - 7 albums
9. AC/DC - 6 albums
10. Meat Loaf - 6 albums

i knew that already, but still deserves a
bow.gif
lol

although i have to protest your dissing of MP3s, =D.... 256kbps and upwards, one can never tell the difference to its raw digital counterpart by ear. and if you rip a vinyl into it, it'll sound exactly the same ^.^

(science, lol)

but if mixing and digital audio editing is involved.. an MP3 is a no-no. that's my only con when it comes to high-quality compressed files.
No thanks. I have a few albums on both record and CD, and I've compared them and the CD's sound flat. The vinyl has a more fuller, warm sound. I also have a stereo system and computer speakers don't compare, lol. Anyway, my friend had all of his stuff on a computer, it crashed and his whole collection was history. I don't have to worry about that with hard copies. I also like the large artwork that comes with a record that you don't get with digital files or even small CD booklets.

DuranDuran knows his ISH dont mess with the masta lol

Superstition, Axter, DuranDuran can I buy music from you? lol jk

I collect alot of Jackson 5/ Jacksons old records as well as all of motown, Stevie Wonder, Kool n the Gang, and of course Michael Jackson. Vintage Janet Jackson. I have all the classics Barry White, Jimmy Smith, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Surpremes, Teddy Pendegrass, Isly Brothers, Stylistics, Four Tops, Rare Earth Temptations, David Ruffin, Marvin Gaye, Jodeci, SWV, Sly Family Stone, James Brown, Prince, Dells, Delphonics, The Sprinners, Rolling Stones etc etc.... got more but this is what comes to mind

I collect MJ the most obviously.
Apart from Michael I've started to collect Janet's albums, I've got a stevie Wonder album and I'm thinking of starting collect some of his albums, Lionel Richie too.

A bit difficult to say much as until about a year back, I'd kind of been 'out of the loop' about a lot of music in general for years... plus, I only ever buy my music. :p Michael's the most collected right now, anyway. Other than that, a lot of The Corrs, Fleetwood Mac, Lionel Richie and the Commodores, Jacksons/J5 of course, Janet Jackson, Jermaine Jackson, Stevie Wonder, a lot of general Motown, George Benson, Quincy Jones, Texas, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Queen. Some classical music from a few albums as well.

My most collected artists are

Michael Jackson
Jackson 5
Jacksons
Janet Jackson
Blackmore's Night

I am really not in to collecting music artists since I am more in to the Bollywood, classical, opera, and Renaissance type music now a days.

My most collected artists are (official albums and bootlegs) :

Robert Plant
Led Zeppelin
Page/Plant
Jimi Hendrix
The Rolling Stones
Michael Jackson

I'm not a music collector or anything but the ones that appear in my iTunes library/CD shelf the most are:

Michael Jackson
Soul Asylum
Janet Jackson
The Roots
Boyz II Men
John Mayer
R. Kelly (though I haven't been into his stuff since the Chocolate Factory)

I've noticed that I have a habit of buying up to two albums by any artist and if I happen to buy more than two, it means I really like them.

Apart from Michael Jackson and Sean Paul, I don't really collect any items from other artists. But this is my top 4 starting with the highest amount:

1. Michael Jackson
2. Sean Paul
3. The Jacksons
4. Akon

Back