Neo-Soul

Superstition

Proud Member
So, I noticed there's a soul thread, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to neo-soul, the sound of artists like D'Angelo, Maxwell, Raphael Saadiq, even Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu can be classified as neo-soul. I have heard artists like Donny Hathaway referred to as the father of Neo-Soul, though I consider him more classic soul, but I can see why the comparison is drawn. Tony Toni Tone may have been an early neo-soul group, but I think artists like D'Angelo and Maxwell are the main ones who ushered in the sound.

Last edited:
The Brand New Heavies - Shelter [1997]

it's interesting you brought up the topic of people assigning older acts as 'innovators' of this genre/style - but isn't it all just a fusion of "classic" soul roots with some jazz, hip-hop, Cuban/Brazilian rhythms etc.? and many acts fused together other styles with soul in the 70s.

although if i were to name a big influence in any one department, particularly the chord sequence styles and signatures that are heavily used today, it would be Leon Ware.

anyway, this is one of my favourite tracks - and possibly favourite 'neo-soul' track - written and sung by Siedah Garrett:

2a7s781.jpg

Brand New Heavies - Sometimes (Ummah Remix)

Yesterday was D'Angelo's birthday, right?

Ladies, if you can.......try....at least try.....to ignore the......picture.

Neo-soul is a hard genre to classify. Personally, I think it's more of a current thing that culminated with the rise of hip-hop/rap and a few distinct sounds that made their way into other genres. It's definitely a blend, the problem is trying to decipher the sounds and/or determine if it's just contemporary R&B, Hip-Hop or if it qualifies as neo-soul. Or is neo-soul even a real genre or just a coined term? Hard to say. Personally, I just say "Hmm, sounds like neo-soul to me".

Neo-soul is a hard genre to classify. Personally, I think it's more of a current thing that culminated with the rise of hip-hop/rap and a few distinct sounds that made their way into other genres. It's definitely a blend, the problem is trying to decipher the sounds and/or determine if it's just contemporary R&B, Hip-Hop or if it qualifies as neo-soul. Or is neo-soul even a real genre or just a coined term? Hard to say. Personally, I just say "Hmm, sounds like neo-soul to me".
Yea that's why I always say "so-called 'Neo-Soul". I also think simply, it's a name for comtemporary soul, which speaks more on time period than on musical style.

i finally found a (more than) decent quality version of D'Angelo's recently leaked acoustic version of this beautiful piece of art..

dpcphd.jpg

I Found My Smile Again (Alternate)

download

That was actually released a few weeks ago on iTunes, so I have it in 256kbps AAC audio. Both versions are amazing. I hope something comes out this year from him, the wait has been ridiculous.

images

Corinne Bailey Rae - Like A Star (iTunes Live Session)

images

Michael Jackson cover -

Wanna Be Where You Are (Carleen Anderson & Paul Weller)

images

One reason I love Akon's work with others more than his own..

India.Arie feat. Akon - I Am Not My Hair (Konvict Remix)

Hey superstition, that Maxwell's Lifetime is one of the songs that I've been consistently digging. I started singing it around the house back in 2001-2002. Heard it on radio for the first time and immediately became MY song. "I was reborn when I was broken....I wouldn't believe.....I wouldn't believe.....naw" At that time I was fresh off highschool and was goin through some things and that song directly spoke to my heart. I was young (I still am-lol) but felt like a sage singing the lyrics. Soul inclduing Neo-Soul heals the wound for real. You need to have some Soul music in your life esp. when you go through some battles.

Neo-Soul is aka real r&b that the masses classify as "neo-soul" because its non mainstream or popular. It all falls under that soul r&b at the end of the day which really is no stranger or no different than r&b. Its just a name that they classify it as because its non commericial, thats my take.

Hey superstition, that Maxwell's Lifetime is one of the songs that I've been consistently digging. I started singing it around the house back in 2001-2002. Heard it on radio for the first time and immediately became MY song. "I was reborn when I was broken....I wouldn't believe.....I wouldn't believe.....naw" At that time I was fresh off highschool and was goin through some things and that song directly spoke to my heart. I was young (I still am-lol) but felt like a sage singing the lyrics. Soul inclduing Neo-Soul heals the wound for real. You need to have some Soul music in your life esp. when you go through some battles.

Yeah, I really dig Maxwell. For some reason my favorite artists are always the ones who quite putting out albums. Maxwell's last album was supposed to come out on Valentine's Day 2007, as part of a trilogy called "Black Summer's Night". We were supposed to get the third one in 2009... we're still waiting on the first!

Yeah, I really dig Maxwell. For some reason my favorite artists are always the ones who quite putting out albums. Maxwell's last album was supposed to come out on Valentine's Day 2007, as part of a trilogy called "Black Summer's Night". We were supposed to get the third one in 2009... we're still waiting on the first!
Yeah I followed updates on his new album or anything about him for quite some time. Remember the "Pretty Wings" snippet? The latest news I heard is he'll perform at the Essence festival in July. Seems like he's slowly preparing for comeback...but we can't be sure. He was touring last year but still we got no info on his new album.

images

John Legend - She Don't Have To Know
I really dig the background vocals and use of horns as an instrumental solo.

images

Ledisi - Think Of You

i just discovered Rahsaan Patterson (never heard of him before).
does anyone know if he also writes/produces his music?

Do You Feel The Way I Do

Stop Breaking My Heart

Mary J Blige - Mary [1999]

this one's of those perfect contemporary soul tracks.

written, arranged and produced by Lauryn Hill with the same team during her Miseducation sessions.

it has I Can't Help It written all over..

28gtog2.jpg

Mary J Blige - All That I Can Say

lmao, i didn't actually expect an answer to that question..

i checked more Rahsaan Patterson's material and found a few good tracks like these two:

518YFRFMGKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You Make Life So Good [2004]

41QYYBPAA6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Spend The Night [1997]

^ just different era and fusions. i'd say the overall composition structure, chord sequences and vocals resonates with the soul music of 60s and 70s, but it's been fused in with different styles like jazz, hip-hop, swing beats, Cuban/Brazilian music etc.

i think "contemporary" soul is a better term if we want to label it. but it's just become known as neo-soul.

lmao, i didn't actually expect an answer to that question..
.... ?

not a big fan of Rahsaan myself.

i just discovered Rahsaan Patterson (never heard of him before).
does anyone know if he also writes/produces his music?

Yea, Rahsaan writes and co-produces his music.

Another great 'neo-soul' artist is Amel Larrieux ...

For Real

We Can Be New

Angie's an outstanding keyboardist, one of my influences. beautiful producer too.

I'm so tired of hearing that name "neo-soul", first of all, it's R&B music, second of all, to make a subgenre is just as bad as not promoting it period, lol...

What's the difference between soul and Neo-Soul? :unsure:

I fail to see the difference too. Like in rock circles: "alternative", "punk", "grunge", "metal", "horrorcore", "queercore" (YES there's a genre called that)... it's all rock to me, like all "neo-soul" music is all soul music to me, lol.

Don't know if its been posted elsewhere, but FINALLY, a new Maxwell single, "Pretty Wings". Love it, and I can't wait for the album to come out.

prettywingsuncutsingle.png

Maxwell - Pretty Wings (Uncut)

What's the difference between soul and Neo-Soul? :unsure:

Soul = live instrumentation, strings (sometimes), call-and-response vocals, pre-disco dance grooves, blues-styled balladry, can be classified in different areas: Southern soul (Memphis, Atlanta, Florida), Northern soul (Detroit, Chicago, New York), Chicago soul, California soul (Fifth Dimension, Friends of Distinction, Barry White), it can also be heard in the UK (Northern soul and southern soul) and I'm sure it's heard in Japan too. The Latino communities have also played soul music in their low-riders. And the genre still lives in the music of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Al Green and Chaka Khan.

Neo-soul = digital productions, songs about "you don't have to get it on to be with me", features hip-hop from the likes of Common (formerly, I don't know if I'd describe Common as part of the neo-soul phase anymore), The Roots and Outkast (least Andre 3000), great singers who need better production, lol.

Neo-soul was the answer to hip-hop soul actually.

Back