moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

moonstreet

Guests
hey everyone, just thought Id open this up as a question and answer thread. I live in London and have been to The O2 many times.

If there is something you need to know, ask me here. I will try my best to answer any questions about London and The O2. If I dont know something I will try my best to point you in the right direction

Wow, Thanks so much!:clapping: If I can get tickets, I will probably need to ask you a lot of questions, lol. That is so nice of you!

How nice of you.. I will definitely be asking questions once I get my tickets (fingers crossed). Because I am having the hardest time trying to figure out the locations of some of the hotels I have found that are nice and affordable..

thanks moon.

The main question i have is... how close does the seating area get to the stage? Also... are you able to literally run to the front... like during some of his other tours, if you have a standing ticket?

I guess the main question is.. which ticket arrangement is gonna be the best to enable me the opportunity to get up to the front

your welcome everyone, Ive travelled to many countries to see Michael and I know how stressful it can be to try to arrange to go to see Michael in a different country where you might not even speak the same language. Now that I actually live here, I can try to pass on my experiences to help as many as possible experience the magic of Michael

thanks moon.

The main question i have is... how close does the seating area get to the stage? Also... are you able to literally run to the front... like during some of his other tours, if you have a standing ticket?

I guess the main question is.. which ticket arrangement is gonna be the best to enable me the opportunity to get up to the front

The seating plan is different for each event in The O2. They have about 4 or 5 different layouts, stage in the middle, stage at the end etc. The O2 is an arena, with fixed seating areas on the sides and back. The floor of the arena is just empty space which can be designed and constructed differently, depending on the event taking place. The easiest way to describe The O2 is think MSG but smaller.

Until tickets go onsale we wont know for sure which seating plan they are using. I can only advise you to go to The O2 website and familise yourself with the general layout of the arena. I cant advise you on which section to aim for as what might be a brillant seat for me might be crap for you.

thankyou moonstreet,i am a lttle worried about going on the tube,i live in chester and will probably get a coach from chester to the 02,are there some good hotels that are farely cheap?there will be 3 of us going,also my husband during the day before the concerts wants to go and see some of the site,like buckingham palace and big ben ,if we had a hotel quite near the 02,how far are these attractions and can we book a coach tour from there?,thanks again moonstreet ,this is a very helpful thread,if i get my tickets,fingers crossed,i will be booking accomadation then.

thankyou moonstreet,i am a lttle worried about going on the tube,i live in chester and will probably get a coach from chester to the 02,are there some good hotels that are farely cheap?there will be 3 of us going,also my husband during the day before the concerts wants to go and see some of the site,like buckingham palace and big ben ,if we had a hotel quite near the 02,how far are these attractions and can we book a coach tour from there?,thanks again moonstreet ,this is a very helpful thread,if i get my tickets,fingers crossed,i will be booking accomadation then.

The best I can advise is to find a hotel in central London and just travel to The O2 by tube or bus.

The O2 is at North Greenwich tube stop, which is on the Jubliee line. It takes 15 minutes from Waterloo mainline train station to get to The O2 by tube.

This is the TRANSPORT FOR LONDON (TFL) website
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Central London is very easy to get around by bus and tube (underground) have a look at the TFL website and look at the tube map. Central London is roughly a 5 mile square area and all the major tourist attractions, Big Ben, Houses of Parliment, Buckingham Palace etc are all very easy to get to.

The best thing to do might be to get an open top bus tour of London. My parents did this last year. These are hop on / hop off bus tours and most also incude a short river cruise

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/international/default.aspx

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/ (this is the bus that Michael was on when he went to the London Sony demo in June 2002!!!)

thanks moonstreet .the open top bus tour sounds really good,so you can get a bus to the 02 from central london?i know you said 15 minutes by train,but how long rougthly would it take on a bus?thanks.

thanks moonstreet .the open top bus tour sounds really good,so you can get a bus to the 02 from central london?i know you said 15 minutes by train,but how long rougthly would it take on a bus?thanks.

there are buses to North Greenwich but the majority of people use the tube. Ive only gone there by tube so Im not sure of the bus routes, have a look at the TFL website , Im sure it will be on there

The tube runs under the thames river right? So like if my hotel is on the other side of the o2 & thames can get across without using the clippers boat right?

Also how safe are taxis?

Also the area where michael stayed at (lanesborough hotel) is that central london?

Hi, thanks for the thread:

Question:

How much do you reckon a two mile taxi trip in the middle of the night from the o2 would cost?

Also, how in advance can you book a taxi?

And how do I know if a taxi is illegal?

The tube runs under the thames river right? So like if my hotel is on the other side of the o2 & thames can get across without using the clippers boat right?

Also how safe are taxis?

Also the area where michael stayed at (lanesborough hotel) is that central london?

yes the tube runs under the river, but like I said before, the majority of people us the tube to get to and from The O2

Taxis in London are are safe as in any major city. There are 2 types, licencienced official London black cabs and unofficail mini cabs.

Any one travelling to London, PLEASE ONLY USE OFFICAL LONDON BLACK CABS, there is a huge problem in London with unofficail unlicienced mini cabs and the police warn everyone not to use them

Michael usually stays in central London but as we have just found out, he is doing 10 concerts in 20 days so it is possible he might not stay in central London, who knows, we just have to see what happens

Hi, thanks for the thread:

Question:

How much do you reckon a two mile taxi trip in the middle of the night from the o2 would cost?

Also, how in advance can you book a taxi?

And how do I know if a taxi is illegal?

Im not sure about how much a taxi from The O2 would cost, I can ask some friends and get back to you.

Yes you can book taxis in advance
http://www.londonblackcabs.co.uk/ this is the site of the official London taxis

Can you give me the names of some hotels that are in walking distance to the Arena? And if I stay in walking distance to the arena, how far do I have to travel to see attractions? Central London? I want to do some sight seeing while I'm there :yes: If I get tickets that is :timer: Thanks for your help!!!

Can you give me the names of some hotels that are in walking distance to the Arena? And if I stay in walking distance to the arena, how far do I have to travel to see attractions? Central London? I want to do some sight seeing while I'm there :yes: If I get tickets that is :timer: Thanks for your help!!!

This hotel is near the O2

http://www.radissonedwardian.com/londonuk_canarywharf

You can see it from the restaurant

NPW_RR_450.jpg

Local Landmarks and Attractions

The O2, Poplar Dock Marina, Docklands Sailing Club, London Arena, Greenwich Observatory, Greenwich Maritime Museum, ExCeL Centre, London 2012 Olympics site, Museum in Docklands, Indoor Golf Simulator

Attractions close to the river

Design Museum, Butlers Wharf Tower of London, London Dungeon, Tate Modern, London Eye, County Hall, Houses of Parliament

Great idea!

I'm worried about accommodation.. As I dont know London at all and have only been once(WMA 2006) I want a hotel close to the O2 or close to a train station.. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Cheaper the better ;)

The O2 is actully not in an built up area, or in the middle of a main street with shops, the complex was origionlly The Millenium Dome, built on a disused peninsula extending into the river. O2 bought it a few years ago and turned it into a music venue.

have a look at this from Wikipedi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Greenwich_tube_station

this is another useful travel and trasport site.

http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/transport.htm

My advise is to stay in central London and just use the tube to get to The O2 like everyone else. It takes about 15 minutes from Waterloo main line train station to get there. If you want to see the attractions in London too, its all in a very central 5 mile square approx and very easy to get to transport wise

Great idea!

I'm worried about accommodation.. As I dont know London at all and have only been once(WMA 2006) I want a hotel close to the O2 or close to a train station.. Any recommendations?

Its very hard to recomend a hotel as there are soo many and prices vay. Try looking for Travel lodge or Comfort Inns, they are hotel chains which are reasonable. Its best to stay in central London and just travel to The O2 for the concerts

moonstreet ,i,ve been looking at hotels, there were a couple in bayswater,where abouts in london is this?thanks in advance.

moonstreet ,i,ve been looking at hotels, there were a couple in bayswater,where abouts in london is this?thanks in advance.

Bayswater is near to Oxford street and Paddington station. Thats a central area, with good transport. Michael stayed in that area when he was in London for The WORLD MUSIC AWARDS in 2006. Its also not far from The Lanesborough Hotel and The Dorchester Hotel. Its at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street, near to Hyde Park

Thanks for help with my other questions! I have one more, well for now :D
What is the weather like in July?

What's the closest airport to the 02?

HELP!!!

I've got seats 850-851, Row T, Level 4, BK 417

Could you explain this to me as if I'm a baby because I do not have a clue what the view will be like? I've spent 116 pounds on a load of shit. Thanks.

bayswater is near to oxford street and paddington station. Thats a central area, with good transport. Michael stayed in that area when he was in london for the world music awards in 2006. Its also not far from the lanesborough hotel and the dorchester hotel. Its at the marble arch end of oxford street, near to hyde park
thanks for your answer.

Thanks for help with my other questions! I have one more, well for now :D
What is the weather like in July?

July can be mixed, can be really sunny and hot and also days and days of rain. The higest temp is usally around 25 degrees centragrade. Expect warm humid weather, and make sure you have an umbrella

What's the closest airport to the 02?

It depends on where you are flying from. London has 5 airports and all have direct trains to central London

Heathrow is the main International airport. It is located in southwest London. You can get to central London via The Heathrow Express, train jounrney time 15 mins, expensive
http://www.heathrowexpress.com or by tube via picidilly line, journey time 45 minutes

Gatwick is in the South East of London. It is also an International airport but alot smaller than Heathrow. Direct train to central London via Gatwick express, journey time 30 minutes
http://www.gatwickexpress.com

Stansted airport is in the north east of London. It is an International airport but mainly has domestic and European flights. Journey time to central London via Stansted Express is 45 minutes
http://www.stanstedexpress.com

Luton airport is in the north west of London. It is an international airport but also alot of domestic and European flights
http://www.london-luton.co.uk

London City airport is in central London. It is a small airport, mainly domestic and European flights
http://www.londoncityairport.com

HELP!!!

I've got seats 850-851, Row T, Level 4, BK 417

Could you explain this to me as if I'm a baby because I do not have a clue what the view will be like? I've spent 116 pounds on a load of shit. Thanks.

I really cant say, Ive had a look at the seating chart and while it is in top level, I really dont know what the view is like from there, sorry

I will proberly get to london by train.
Can you tell me which tube line I need to the O2 please.
Thank you

I will proberly get to london by train.
Can you tell me which tube line I need to the O2 please.
Thank you

The Jubilee line is the tube line for The 02. The stop is called NORTH GREENWICH. The tube trains run north or south, east or west, depending on the line. To figure out which train you need to get, you need to check the direction of the tube and which stop the train terminates at. From central London to The O2 you need to take a Jubilee line which terminates at Stratford, or Greenwich North

How much does a ticket cost , I mean for the tube ?

Is the tube opened during the night? When is the first train? And the last one?

thankyou

Back