TheTimes: "£500 for Michael Jackson comeback show tickets as promoter in secret deal"

simon89

Proud Member
£500 for Michael Jackson comeback show tickets as promoter in secret deal
By Patrick Foster, Dan Sabbagh and Adam Sherwin

Fans desperate to see Michael Jackson’s comeback performances could have to pay more than ten times the face value of the tickets after the shows’ promoters struck a secret deal to sell the best seats at vastly inflated prices, The Times has learnt.

AEG Live, the company behind the concerts, has agreed with Viagogo, an online ticket reseller, to sell hundreds of so-called premium tickets for each performance at the 17,000-capacity O2 arena, in East London, at about £500 each, compared with their face value of between £50 and £75.

The move means that both AEG Live and Viagogo stand to make huge extra financial returns, while reducing the availability and standard of seats to those fans trying to buy seats through the official, “primary” route, via the Ticketmaster website.

About 10,000 tickets for each of the ten concerts announced last week went on sale yesterday morning on Ticketmaster to fans who had registered their interest on Jackson’s website.
Related Links

* ***** sells out London concerts, adds more

* Michael Jackson in grand finale curtain-raiser

However, demand was so high that the website crashed, leading the promoters to announce another 20 dates — which also quickly sold out. It is thought that nearly 300,000 seats have been sold so far. The remaining tickets for each show will go on sale tomorrow.

But The Times understands that outside the official sale of the tickets, AEG Live approached secondary ticketing companies — which allow people to resell tickets to sporting and music events — offering to provide them directly with between 500 and 1,000 tickets for each performance.

It is thought that AEG Live offered the tickets on the understanding that they were sold at about £500 each, with 80 per cent of the revenue returning to AEG Live and the secondary ticketing company taking the remaining 20 per cent.

Last night tickets for seats closest to the stage were on sale on Viagogo for thousands of pounds. Other seats in prime locations seemed to be on sale at surprisingly uniform rates, with many priced at £418 and £659.

AEG Live did not deny its links to Viagogo. The company previously said in a statement: “In an effort to ensure fans are able to purchase premium tickets and exchange tickets directly with other fans, AEG Live has entered into an agreement with Viagogo. The online site allows people to buy and sell live event tickets in a safe and guaranteed way.”

A source close to AEG Live said: “This is the hottest ticket of the decade. To suggest that there won’t be a premium market is unrealistic. We want to make sure it is done properly and fans are not buying the tickets in some dodgy back alley.

“This is only a small minority of tickets. The aim all along has been to make sure that the majority of the arena is filled with real fans. There are systems in place to make sure people cannot buy multiple tickets and sell them on.”

Concert promoters have previously been steadfastly against the secondary ticketing companies, which they accuse of promoting touting and depriving the live music industry of income.

AEG Live could face censure from the Concert Promoters Association, of which it is a member, if it is judged to have brought the organisation into disrepute through its actions.

Last month the Government announced a consultation into ticket touting and urged concert organisers to be innovative and come up with new ways of preventing touts from making money from selling on tickets.

One leading concert promoter said: “Selling tickets straight on to the secondary marketplace will sadly become more commonplace. The promoters are saying, if you can’t beat them, join them.”

i don't undertsand, so the fans have the bad seats or the good seats? I know alot of people here who have front row seat with just 75 pounds. Help me out please, I just wanna know this: Is it still possible for me to get section A floor tickets on Friday?

That's all i wanna know.

i don't undertsand, so the fans have the bad seats or the good seats? I know alot of people here who have front row seat with just 75 pounds. Help me out please, I just wanna know this: Is it still possible for me to get section A floor tickets on Friday?

That's all i wanna know.

seems very unlikely as they all seem to already be sold to the other company :(

very clever.

but did anyone actually pay the cheapest for a ticket of £50 because i have not seen one person lol...

the rich get richer! sickening, especially since people are getting really good floor seats for 75, its unfair to charge others high prices!

This is just a reminder that the true fans need to get their tickets directly from ticketmaster on Friday. If not, businesses like viagogo will take advantage of your loyalty to Michael!!!

i wonder if Michael even knows about this arrangement, remember he put Don King in his place for his money grabbin!

i wonder if Michael even knows about this arrangement, remember he put Don King in his place for his money grabbin!

what happened? and i possibly think so.. if this is mj's last tour he's going to want to cash in

That's all i wanna know.

Perhaps they threw a few of those lucky tickets in to make others believe they, too had a shot at getting those types of seats.

As for the rest of the article...smdh. I had written more but I deleted it. Some of us could get lucky on Friday so..... let's keep hope alive. I understand stuff like this is "just business" but whatever. People have free will. They pay what they feel comfortable paying, I guess.

That's all i wanna know.
I don't think anyone got front row for that. They were all VIP seating as far as I knew. The 75 pounds seats were after the first 15 rows in A, but they seemed to all be gone and most of them started in section B. As has been said, ALL the seats from the 02 are supposed to be good seats. It's not like his past concerts in other arenas where some seats are so far apartthat you only see MJ as a dot on stage..lol.

This is skewing the truth quite a bit.

The fact of the matter is this: this is a high-demand show, and there are tons of people who want to profit from tickets. The fact is that it will be done. Any big concert or high-demand event like this is going to have tons of ebayers and resellers trying to gobble up tickets to sell at inflated prices for profit. By partnering with other sites, they will curb this activity. And the fact that so many of us got tickets is somewhat proof that it worked. Yes, there will be some people who didn't get tickets (yet) and there are some that will be sold at inflated prices, but the goal wasn't to stop it (since you can't)... it was to curb the activity.

Nice, once again the true MJ fans get screwed over because of money and greed. No wonder I couldnt get tickets.....the line was clogged up with ticket brokers that AEG made a deal with to get most of the good seats.

Michael needs to be aware of this bull$hit situation. Its so wrong and unfair.

$crew AEG, I cant believe Michael would do business with these scumballs. Well, I guess only the rich will be able to attend. Nice!

Don't give up yet! The 02 is supposed to have great tickets, every seat is supposed to be good. They still have tickets to sell at regular prices on Friday.. DON'T GIVE UP yet.. ok.. in fan language "KEEP the Faith!". Please.. it is too early to give up. I know there were fans who were also going to buy more tickets than they needed so they could sell them to other fans at regular price as well. Just be online even before 7 am on Friday morning. Be ready with your Credit card, and accept the best seat that they show you from the start and be ready to fill in the forms quickly as they do expire quickly. You have one minute to accept the seat they select for you, and then 5 minutes to fill in your credit card info. I can understand the frustration. I went through something quite frustrating to do with his 45th birthday when I bought my tickets, my flight and something came up that I had to drive there instead with my dad and brother.. and we still never made it. We drove 25 hours, and paid more money than I had budgeted for and couldn't really afford, and STILL in the end did not make it despite everything I had done. So I UNDERSTAND the frustration of working for something that you have your heart set on and being let down, however you shouldn't give up just yet. (Just trying to remind you to have a bit of hope still).

What I wanna know is, is there PROOF that AEG sold big amounts of tickets to other companies, for the sake of reselling? Hearsay is not proof. We can all get mad at them, but maybe we're running with a false story.

What I wanna know is, is there PROOF that AEG sold big amounts of tickets to other companies, for the sake of reselling? Hearsay is not proof. We can all get mad at them, but maybe we're running with a false story.

I guess we'll find out on Friday when viagogo opens up with tix available worth 500 pounds...or not. And I was thinking of trying to get tix from them instead of ticketmasters becuz of all the hassle with ticketmasters today. It's going to be crazier on Friday, no doubt, so I thought viagogo would be somewhat easier. I guess we'll see on Friday what kind of tickets they're holding. If they've got regularly priced tickets that people can actually order (and not be told they're unavailable) then the article is rubbish. :lol:

Last edited:
I guess we'll find out on Friday when viagogo opens up with tix available worth 500 pounds...or not. And I was thinking of trying to get tix from them instead of ticketmasters becuz of all the hassle with ticketmasters today. It's going to be crazier on Friday, no doubt, so I thought viagogo would be somewhat easier. I guess we'll see on Friday what kind of tickets they're holding. If they've got regularly priced tickets that people can actually order (and not be told they're unavailable) then the article is rubbish. :lol:

They've already posted them. http://www.viagogo.com/Concert-Tickets/Rock-and-Pop/Michael-Jackson-Tickets

Seems like it might be true, some are already listed for more then 300 dollars.

What did you guys expect though? Michael and AEG are selling most of these tickets for dirt cheap. Most performers near Michael's status charge anywhere from $500 to close to a thousand dollars for front row seats. And Michael's bigger then all of them. So for the tickets to be, majority wise, as cheap as they are, in phenomenal and it shows that he's taking his fans financial situation into consideration. It was gonna happen anyway where scalpers were going to buy up tickets and sell them for 3 or 4 times the face value, and promo company knows this and are just trying to reduce it. It's a limited number of tickets as it is that they're doing this with.

That's all i wanna know.
Than your friends are lying, or they have the wrong tickets. I bought 2 Thriller Packages and got front and center. The ONLY way anyone is getting closest to the front is if you pay top dollar.

You'll be able to get anything left over on Friday.

IF... And that's the biggest IF in the world... IF your friends really did get the front row with just 75 pounds, than they are LUCKY!!!!!!!!!

The code is still valid btw. New concerts have been added again. We are now in 2010 with dates!

I really dont think this is that bad....
guys think about this..If I had asked you would you have said that MJ was going to do 30plus shows in London in 09....no..

I honestly dont mind that there the standing area has been turned into VIP seating...I have been to 3MJ concerts and a few others to start to dislike the standing area...It can be dangerous..definately not for kids or ones who are not strongly built and are running on adrenalin for 24hrs...

this way it is safe...and I think it is very wise from the organisers and MJ to do this way....(MJ has had to see the seating plan and stage plan etc)...it is now a safe environment ...let those take the floor seats who were lucky or can afford it ..sometimes the view from down there is not as good as from 1st floor etc..

I am happy that I got a ticket to be honest...

frankly the fans have been screwed over since the concerts eere annouced. u think mj wants a loads od suits infront of him or a pit full of screaming fans. no fan club being involved where at least the rest of the floor should have been reserved for fans through the clubs but AEG arent intrested to the point where we are gonna be lucky to attend 3-4 show out of 40 and thats if u are lucky.its just such a shame that after all these years for the supposed last shows in the uk the fans are getting trested like this. thats why ppl wanted stadiums. there would have been none of this. are fans ever gonna get to experience the pit for one last time??

Back