Ola Ray sues MJ for unpaid royalties

HUGE_MJ_FAN

Proud Member
celeb_justice.gif

*****'s Thriller 'Date' Sues -- Michael Stiffed Me!

Posted May 5th 2009 2:35PM by TMZ Staff
The chick who starred as Michael Jacksonhttp://www.tmz.com/2009/05/05/jackos-thriller-date-sues-michael-stiffed-me/#'s female date in the "Thriller" video is suing ***** and his production company -- claiming she hasn't been paid royalties from the legendary video.

0505_thriller_ola_ray_ex.jpg

We spoke to Ola Ray's attorney, who tells us the former Playboy Playmate is suing for breach of contract because she claims she never got her cut of the "Thriller" profits.

We're told Ola's not sure exactly how much she's owed -- her accountants will figure that out.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/05/05/jackos-thriller-date-sues-michael-stiffed-me/

Here we ago again :O similar story, if not the same story was on here a few months ago.

Thanks for posting

I moved this to tabloid talk for now since it's no backing for it and this story already went around and it was all over with. If more comes of it we'll get it back into the main section.

Some tidbits of information...

http://mjjr.net/
Michael Jackson Repository

Ola Ray Sues Michael Jackson Over Thriller Royalties

20090506Ola.jpg
The co-star of the blockbuster Thriller music video, Ola Ray, has reportedly filed a new lawsuit against Michael Jackson claiming that she is owed royalties for her role in the short film. The lawsuit, if accurate, comes on the heels of another Thriller-related lawsuit filed by John Landis earlier this year, which also cites unpaid royalties and breach of contract (Landis filed two separate, yet interwoven lawsuits and a status conference is set for May 11th).

Interestingly enough, Ola Ray has gone on the record in recent years as admitting that it was not Michael Jackson who was withholding funds from her, but some other party--going as far as to apologize to Michael Jackson for wrongfully believing he was the one keeping back her money (in a late-2007 interview with KCRA). In 2008 Ola revealed that Michael Jackson used to routinely send her checks in excess of $3,775 each for her involvement in Thriller, although it is unclear at this point whether any contractual obligations required him to do so or if the checks were merely in good faith. In 2008, Ola proclaimed that "Everyone thinks I made millions but I don't care... I wouldn't change anything. I'm just so proud to have been part of something that's still so special." In celebrating the 25th anniversary of Thriller, Ola told the media that she would be "more than ready to star with Michael once again."

In fact, this isn't the first time Ola Ray has sued Michael Jackson. More than a decade early-in the mid-1990s--Ola Ray filed a lawsuit against Michael Jackson and the Screen Actors Guild with regards to the Thriller music video, claiming that she was promised a percentage of the profits generated by the video and never received what she was entitled to. The case was eventually settled and she was given $10,000 via the Screen Actors Guild. In addition, a case was quietly filed by Ola Ray in June of 2008 against Michael Jackson, the Screen Actors Guild, and Amazon.com although it is unclear at this time if that case is connected to the newly rumored lawsuit, as reported today by TMZ.

Other than modeling for various commercials and print advertisements in the 1980s (including Playboy), Ola Ray has struggled to find work. Repeated hopes of writing a book and starting a singing or acting career have generally ended in vein. In 2001, Ola spoke to Vibe Magazine while producing tracks for her anticipated debut album "Resurrection," and named Michael Jackson as one of her major musical influences. "He has such a presence. You can feel his energy from across the room."

Ray was arrested for possession of cocaine in 1992 and spent almost a year at a drug treatment facility; later moving in with football player Jim Brown and enduring an abusive relationship which subsequently lead to her continued reliance on drugs. Ola at one point sued Jim Brown as part of a paternity case, whereby he was cleared by DNA of being the father of Ola's daughter. Earlier this decade Ola Ray made money primarily by hosting parties at the Playboy Mansion. She is now a stay-at-home mom.

Source: MJJR.net

Ola Ray Sues Michael Jackson Over Thriller Royalties

The co-star of the blockbuster Thriller music video, Ola Ray, has reportedly filed a new lawsuit against Michael Jackson claiming that she is owed royalties for her role in the short film. The lawsuit, if accurate, comes on the heels of another Thriller-related lawsuit filed by John Landis earlier this year, which also cites unpaid royalties and breach of contract (Landis filed two separate, yet interwoven lawsuits and a status conference is set for May 11th).

Interestingly enough, Ola Ray has gone on the record in recent years as admitting that it was not Michael Jackson who was withholding funds from her, but some other party--going as far as to apologize to Michael Jackson for wrongfully believing he was the one keeping back her money (in a late-2007 interview with KCRA). In 2008 Ola revealed that Michael Jackson used to routinely send her checks in excess of $3,775 each for her involvement in Thriller, although it is unclear at this point whether any contractual obligations required him to do so or if the checks were merely in good faith. In 2008, Ola proclaimed that "Everyone thinks I made millions but I don't care... I wouldn't change anything. I'm just so proud to have been part of something that's still so special." In celebrating the 25th anniversary of Thriller, Ola told the media that she would be "more than ready to star with Michael once again."

In fact, this isn't the first time Ola Ray has sued Michael Jackson. More than a decade early-in the mid-1990s--Ola Ray filed a lawsuit against Michael Jackson and the Screen Actors Guild with regards to the Thriller music video, claiming that she was promised a percentage of the profits generated by the video and never received what she was entitled to. The case was eventually settled and she was given $10,000 via the Screen Actors Guild. In addition, a case was quietly filed by Ola Ray in June of 2008 against Michael Jackson, the Screen Actors Guild, and Amazon.com although it is unclear at this time if that case is connected to the newly rumored lawsuit, as reported today by TMZ.

Other than modeling for various commercials and print advertisements in the 1980s (including Playboy), Ola Ray has struggled to find work. Repeated hopes of writing a book and starting a singing or acting career have generally ended in vein. In 2001, Ola spoke to Vibe Magazine while producing tracks for her anticipated debut album "Resurrection," and named Michael Jackson as one of her major musical influences. "He has such a presence. You can feel his energy from across the room."

Ray was arrested for possession of cocaine in 1992 and spent almost a year at a drug treatment facility; later moving in with football player Jim Brown and enduring an abusive relationship which subsequently lead to her continued reliance on drugs. Ola at one point sued Jim Brown as part of a paternity case, whereby he was cleared by DNA of being the father of Ola's daughter. Earlier this decade Ola Ray made money primarily by hosting parties at the Playboy Mansion. She is now a stay-at-home mom.

http://mjjr.net/news.php

Re: Ola Ray Sues Michael Jackson Over Thriller Royalties

According to that article she sues alot of people...

The first thing I thought when I read the topic title was didnt she apologise to MJ for thinking that he withheld money from her (which is backed up in this article), so I have no idea what's going on now!

she is on the breadline and feels this is the only thing she's got...

fight it, Michael!

Take about desperation!*sucks teeth*

I feel so sorry for this woman. It seems she doesn't know what whether she is coming or going. One minute she is praising Michael....the next minute she is suing him.

I doubt if Michael owes her anything. And if it is true that she was promised a portion of the profits, then where is her contract? Where is John Landis' contract for that matter. I would like to see just how much he was brought on for and who was directly responsible for paying him.

People don't sue empty bank accounts. They sue where they know the money is. Landis is suing Michael because the the entity he who truly owes him either no longer exists or doesn't have the money. Ola is suing Michael because the thinks that that is where the money is.

LOL..i dont even wanna read it ..but come on :)....everybody wanna get $$ from MJ!..it's crazy

+ she is famous because of Michael and that's the thankz he gets?

She was nothin special..any girl could replace her in tha video

PS:Michael paid his own money for this video 4 those that don't know :)

It appears TMZ may have goofed and mistakingly referred to Ola's case against Michael filed in 2008 as something new... According to Leslie at MJHU.

http://lesliemjhu.blogspot.com/2009/05/ola-ray-lawsuit.html

Despite the recent media reports, Ola Ray did not sue Michael Jackson again.

Ray's case has been closed last December, because she was unable to show the cause of the case.

On April 24, 2009 Ray's lawyer filed a motion to reopen the case citing that it's been closed in error.

No rule has been made on the motion so far.

Why... Leave MJ alone!!! What is this... Everyone wants to have a bit of Michael.. This is just pathetic..

I agree with you 100%!

Also come on Ola Please get a job! you are just desperate! leave Michael alone!

Last edited:

she seems 2have a suing fetish...

should Michael ever work with anyone? it seems they all sue him in the end. they're all so frivolous. and envious. it's not his fault they fizzled after he offered his charity. if not for him, all these people would obviously be failures, and many of them obviously are.

I wish that idiot would just SHUT UP. As this forum title goes... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Being in the Thriller film is compensation enough, now SHUT UP!

UPDATE

"Despite the recent media reports, Ola Ray did not sue Michael Jackson again. Ray's case has been closed last December, because she was unable to show the cause of the case. On April 24, 2009 Ray's lawyer filed a motion to reopen the case citing that it's been closed in error. It appears that the source (TMZ) may have mistaken her case from 2008 for something new

No rule has been made on the motion so far""

Source:

Last edited:

So she is suing him???

hmm knew there was a reason i didnt like this woman. For the people who want to sue michael.........GET YOUR OWN DAMN LIFE! Like everyone else said...LEAVE MICHAEL ALONE. he is not your personal bank! get a job Ola

If Ola wouldn't have spent all that time on cocaine and kept herself straight, she could have made appearances on stage with Michael whenever he performed Thriller. I think it would have been nostalgic indeed. But I think she proved to be unstable and/or unreliable over the years.

The girls face is iconic due to her involvement with Thriller, but I think she ruined her chances over the years with all of her personal problems. Now she needs money and she is turning to Michael.

she needs to sit her a$$ down somewhere and look in the help wanted section like everyone else that is out of work.. I knew I disliked her since I was 5 (when Thriller first aired) for a reason..lol..other than the fact she was MJ's girl in the Thriller video.lol

And the trouble starts...again..., as long as people think he is broken, their first thought will not just be: sue Michael. But now that they have heard he earns something, boy, they are quick to take the opportunity to get some of his cash

I thought she already sued Michael for this ..:mello:

It appears TMZ may have goofed and mistakingly referred to Ola's case against Michael filed in 2008 as something new... According to Leslie at MJHU.

Despite the recent media reports, Ola Ray did not sue Michael Jackson again.

Ray's case has been closed last December, because she was unable to show the cause of the case.

On April 24, 2009 Ray's lawyer filed a motion to reopen the case citing that it's been closed in error.

No rule has been made on the motion so far.

It's been highly publicized that Michael will be making some cash
from the tour. So I am not surprised that they want to reopen the case.
Who is next?????????

mx0192522-1jackson__oPt.jpg

Back