Tevin Campbell

MJsPYT1

Proud Member
OK, so I was born in 1986, and I can remember Tevin Campbell's music from my youth, but I just recently really got into him!!! He is an amaaazing singer, and I love his albums :wub: especially 'i'm ready'!!!!
He has great songs like 'can we talk', 'i'm ready', 'always in my heart', 'tell me what you want me to do', 'back to the world', and don't say goodbye girl'

Is anyone else a fan???
I heard for a while now that he was recording new music and he was on Broadway in Hairspray which I think wrapped in Jan, so I hope he puts new music out :yes:

He came out on Quincy's cd, and worked with him, and also worked with Prince and many other producers

Tomorrow:

My favorite of his video's at the moment (don't say goodbye girl):

Tell me what you want me to do (live) (amaaaazing!)

Can we talk video:

I'M READY is one of my favorite albums of all time. Have you heard what he does to "Brown Eyed girl" or the song "Shhh". The brother had a brilliant voice.

I'M READY is one of my favorite albums of all time. Have you heard what he does to "Brown Eyed girl" or the song "Shhh". The brother had a brilliant voice.
yeah, it's a really great album :yes: I've heard "shhh" but not "Brown Eyed Girl"..I guess that's next on my list!!!!
I guess we're the only ones that remember Tevvy Tev!!! lol

Tis a shame what he went through. Good that hes picking himself up again. Lets see if he can make anything from it.

Yeah I remember listening to Tevin back in the day and loving his sound.
He really can sing his lil tushy off. Lol! Like you guys, I'm Ready, is my fave too.
But I also liked the single 'Round and 'Round from his T.E.V.I.N album.
Even tho he has worked with some greats; Q.Jones, Prince, Babyface, Johnny Gill
just to name a few, I always thought he had a little MJ flare about him.

Remember when he played Tatiana Ali's (Ashley Banks) love interest on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire? Too cute.

Tis a shame what he went through. Good that hes picking himself up again. Lets see if he can make anything from it.
yeah, I'm glad he's over all of it. I mean, he just finished his stint on Broadway in 'hairspray', and I hear he got really good reviews. But I know he's been working on music all the time, so hopefully he's ready for his music career!!

Yeah I remember listening to Tevin back in the day and loving his sound.
He really can sing his lil tushy off. Lol! Like you guys, I'm Ready, is my fave too.
But I also liked the single 'Round and 'Round from his T.E.V.I.N album.
Even tho he has worked with some greats; Q.Jones, Prince, Babyface, Johnny Gill
just to name a few, I always thought he had a little MJ flare about him.

Remember when he played Tatiana Ali's (Ashley Banks) love interest on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire? Too cute.
lol, yeah, I saw that episode!!! lol
and yes, I've heard alot of ppl say that he kinda has similar vocal stylings of MJ.
I like round and round too, and other songs off his t.e.v.i.n. album. I still haven't listened to all his songs, but I'm getting there! I've been adding his stuff to my ipod,lol

Tevin is one of the most talented child singers ever! I love the whole "I'm Ready" album and I really like the "Tomorrow" song he did with Quincy Jones.

He has strong and beautiful vocals. His voice is pure and the real deal.

I was sad to hear about all his past troubles. Hope he is better now.

"Tell me what you want me to do", is my fav Tevin song of all time.

Tevin is one of the most talented child singers ever! I love the whole "I'm Ready" album and I really like the "Tomorrow" song he did with Quincy Jones.
yeah, he is :yes:

his voice is still amazing... love him!
:yes:

He has strong and beautiful vocals. His voice is pure and the real deal.

I was sad to hear about all his past troubles. Hope he is better now.

:yes:

and 'tell me what you want me to do' is amazing!

OK, can we talk? I love me some TC too.

He's a natural. He looks like he's just chillin on stage, but the vocal is crazy and he always brings it. Now that's what you call "talent".

I've checked out his recent performances and he's still got it and as a matter of fact, never lost it.

*for those who wanna know what he's been up to*
He's on twitter. Type in "bigslymn". I guess he's busy cuz the last message was from almost 2 months ago. Hopefully, he's super busy finishing up a brand new album!

Since yall already talked about I'm Ready album,...
Gotta show some love to Back To The World album.
I've recently become a fan and I'm wearing the cd out!
The title track, Could It Be, I'll Be There, Beautiful Thang, Break of Dawn, Dry Your Eyes, all these lovely jams. Esp. all the cuts Rahsaan Patterson participated in, those are the definite highlights for me.

He's a great talent, I like his songs. Can We Talk is my favorite.

It's a pity he could never really make it as an adult artist. I remember him and Usher started about the same time as child stars and I thought Tevin was the more talented. But then Usher made it and Tevin did not. I don't know if it has to do with his private life or Usher's been simply better managed.

Last edited:
He's a great talent, I like his songs. Can We Talk is my favorite.

It's a pity he could never really make it as an adult artist. I remember him and Usher started about the same time as child stars and I thought Tevin was the more talented. But then Usher made it and Tevin did not. I don't know if it has to do with his private life or Usher's been simply better managed.
I don't think it's got a lot to do with his private life.
His career went downhill with Back to the World album, it seems, which is a shame cuz the album is filled with gems.

We can think of million things as to why he fell off so suddenly.
But I'm just grateful that he survived through it all.
At the end of the day, he didn't become a statistic while soooo many child stars went missing after self-destructive behaviors. Looks like he did go through the period, but it was a long time ago. Plus, he had a good run on Broadway. It's truly an extra blessing.
He got to perform live on a regular basis. And all the years as the popular Seaweed must have helped him to believe in his strength as a performer.
Not to mention, the gig kept him within the entertainment industry radar.
I mean, he didn't have to get a 9-to-5 job.
Last but def. not least, he had the time to live outside of Hollyweird.
When he was starting out as an 11-year-old, he literally got thrown to the cutthroat business one day. I can imagine everything changed in a matter of seconds.
I guess he needed all the time he could get to really live his own life.
Having said that, I can't shake the thought that he shoulda gotten way more love with those 2 albums he put out as an adult. I woulda felt the same as you did watching Usher getting big.

Some of yall might already know this...
I've heard he is working on a new album.
I don't think it's just a rumor cuz I've heard the news from various sources.
His own interviews, his tweets, Shanice (yall remember her?) tweeting about it recently, some of these people who might be insiders or hardcore fans who seem to be in the know,...
Getting my fingers crossed things are going smooth until the release date.

*for those who haven't seen his latest interviews*
Here's one from this summer :

Last edited:
He sounds like a really nice and down to Earth guy. I agree with him about not following trends but making music what you like. But unfortunately the music world today doesn't really work like that. There are a lot of people on the charts today who don't have half of Tevin's talent but they are "trendy" so they are there and Tevin is not. Yeah, the music industry sucks today.

I also liked it when he said people should keep in mind that there's a whole world outside of the US. That's so true as well, that people tend only to focus on what the US likes and think that's what the whole world likes, when it's not so.

I hope he does release something soon. He mentioned he works on new material. I'm rooting for him.

Tevin was on YT not too long ago singing "Can we talk?". The buzz about it has been really good. I like Tevin's voice and I love a few of his songs. His personal life did have an impact on his appeal in a way. The question of his sexuality (and subsequent events and interviews) loomed over him so much that it was hard to sell him to black females especially with songs like "SHHHH". But I like to see talented people succeed as opposed to drivel. I hope he is successful and I will definitely look into another album from him.

He sounds like a really nice and down to Earth guy. I agree with him about not following trends but making music what you like. But unfortunately the music world today doesn't really work like that. There are a lot of people on the charts today who don't have half of Tevin's talent but they are "trendy" so they are there and Tevin is not. Yeah, the music industry sucks today.

I also liked it when he said people should keep in mind that there's a whole world outside of the US. That's so true as well, that people tend only to focus on what the US likes and think that's what the whole world likes, when it's not so.

I hope he does release something soon. He mentioned he works on new material. I'm rooting for him.
Yeah, really down-to-earth and I gotta add, humble.
He went through a lot, which I think helped him to become wise beyond his years.
I really love the interview, too and agree on the part in bold.

Tevin was on YT not too long ago singing "Can we talk?". The buzz about it has been really good. I like Tevin's voice and I love a few of his songs. His personal life did have an impact on his appeal in a way. The question of his sexuality (and subsequent events and interviews) loomed over him so much that it was hard to sell him to black females especially with songs like "SHHHH". But I like to see talented people succeed as opposed to drivel. I hope he is successful and I will definitely look into another album from him.
Yeah, that video has been getting a lot of attention. Can We Talk 2012!
Watched it over and over again and it never gets tired.
I think I've read almost every comment and people are showing so much love.
I enjoyed the vid of course, and the positive vibe there makes me feel good.

Last night I found out an interview where he talked about the clip.
So, it was done less than 2 months ago!
It's like, he's giving something to hold on to til the new single and album is out.
I'm lovin it.
The host sounds like she became a teenager all over again. So cute :D

(starts around 32:11)

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/survive365/2012/07/25/ambizion-radio-sits-down-w-tevin-campbell

Wow! I read on LSA that he did a tribute to MJ - singing Butterflies, Remember The Time and another MJ song, so I'm glad there's footage of it. I'm also glad he tributed MJ. I never heard him talk about MJ, so I wondered what he thought of him.

Any news of a new album?

respect77;3801798 said:
Wow! I read on LSA that he did a tribute to MJ - singing Butterflies, Remember The Time and another MJ song, so I'm glad there's footage of it. I'm also glad he tributed MJ. I never heard him talk about MJ, so I wondered what he thought of him.

Any news of a new album?
Been hearing a bit of info here and there since last year.
Go check out post #16 :)
Here's the latest bit : <small>http://blogs.centrictv.com/music/soulsessions/?p=29263

Published by
Victoria Ford on Monday, April 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm.
</small>
It’s been 14 years since Tevin Campbell released any new music, but that’s all set to change this year. During his sold out show, last Friday at Washington, D.C.’s historic Howard Theatre, the R&B singer, who dominated the charts in the early 90s, shared that he was back in the studio working on new material. The now 36-year-old singer made the announcement during his set that saw him singing his biggest hits— “Tell Me What You Want Me To Do”, “Round and Round”, and “Can We Talk.” He also cranked out a noteworthy musical tribute to the late Michael Jackson. Overwhelmed by the crowd response, Campbell gave the crowd an encore, performing an energetic cover of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.”
This performance was proof positive, that Tevin is still what’s good in music.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Didn't know he performed RTT as well! I'll def. be on the lookout for the footage.
Oh, you never heard him talking about MJ?
Here you are :
[video=youtube;0yOF_8yCt6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOF_8yCt6E&playnext=1&list=PL4584159A7EEEFB8C&feature=results_video[/video]

Last edited:
I wish I was there.
He's been performing in the States and overseas starting from a few years back. Most of the time, he doesn't sing his song the way it was originally recorded. I JUST LOVE THAT! Just like at the DC show. Loving the way it was rearranged. More grown-and-sexy, laid-back feel to it. But the fact that T can sang still remains!

2 more clips from the show at the Howard Theatre in DC (March 30. 2013)

Thanks for the info and videos.

So new album possibly this year? I'm excited.

LOL, I'm not surprised he did not like the MJ comparation - I always had this feeling about him back then, that he probably doesn't like it.

The concert seems like it was good fun. I too wish I was there.

Oh, look what I found on YT. LOL.

That boy got soul! Always have; even when he was a kid. :)
He was great on those covers. Thanks for posting the videos!
I've always liked Tevin. I'm curious about the new projects he's working on.

Man! It still feels inconceivable that MJ isn't here. \/

Thank you Helena!

That lady is so wrong for calling him the Justin Bieber of the 90s. What an insult to poor Tevin! LOL.

So he says it was by his choice to disappear. Interesting.

I'm excited about his new single and this concept album he is making.

Thank you Helena!

That lady is so wrong for calling him the Justin Bieber of the 90s. What an insult to poor Tevin! LOL.

So he says it was by his choice to disappear. Interesting.

I'm excited about his new single and this concept album he is making.
My pleasure :)

Agreed, JB can't hold a candle to Little T or Grown T. We're no professional musicians, but we do have ears!

Seems like it's taking forever, but it's all worth the wait.
Can't wait to hear what he had to say through the new music.
He's been doing shows all over the place, which is good. Getting out there and reconnecting with his fans before the ultimate reunion: the brand new album in more than a decade.

Nice to meet other Tevin Campbell fans! I've always felt that he was influenced by Michael when he was a kid, but once his voice changed he became more of a male Whitney Houston. He sings manyof the songs on "I'm Ready" exactly as Whitney would.

I saw Tevin about 2 yrs ago in Sydney. He was here doing Hairspray. He was great in it. I was a huge fan of him as a teenager (am a little bit older than you) and yep, I'm Ready is a fantastic album. Shhh is so incredibly cheesy, it cracks me up... "Always in my heart" was my fav for a long time.

Back