What is the best way to get to LONDON from DUBLIN???

#1MJstan

Proud Member
Hello Community,
I wanted to know what is the best way to get to London from Dublin?
Ferry/Train or air....
I found a really good deal to fly from the U.S. to Dublin and now I need to figure out the best way to get to London from Dublin, but if it's really costly I will just get the direct flight to London.. I am trying to save money yet see other places while in Europe..

Thanks in advance

Orie

stand aside, Irish fan from Dublin living in London here.......

ok, well there are a number of options, you can fly or get the ferry

Flights are approx 1 hour, depending on which London airport you fly to.

The ferry only takes you to Wales, and then you have to go acroos country eithe by train or by bus, which could take around 7 hours

1. flying is the cheapest easyiest option.

The cheapest airline to fly from Dublin to London is Ryanair, which is a budget airline http://www.ryanair.com Depending on when you book, you can get a return flight from Dublin to London for as little as £30!!

Flying with Ryanair has some conditions though.

There is only online check in, no checkin at the airport, and you must print your boarding card before you get to the airport, or they will charge you approx £20 to print your boarding card at the customer service desk.

You are only allowed 1 piece of handluggage , which must be 10 kgs or less. Ladies this include handbags, and laptops and anything you buy at dutyfree etc, it all must be in 1 bag when you board the plane.

Checked baggage must be 15kgs or less per person. No pooling of baggage allowence is allowed. Anything over 15 kgs you will be charged for. There is also a charge of £28 per each item of checked in luggage.

There is no seat allocation on the plane, its a find your own seats when you get on the plane. Also, when you are booking, you can choose to have piority boarding, which means you are in the first group to board the plane, but there is a charge for this.

All inflight drinks and food are also extra and you have to pay for them on the plane.

Other airlines which fly Dublin to London are AIR LINGUS, BRITISH AIRWAYS. These airlines are not budget and their prices are higher than RYANIR but their price is all inclusive, not like RYANAIR where you have to pay for each individual item

oh I better say that Ireland is part of the EUROZONE, the currency is EURO, not British Pounds Sterling. Ive quoted the British prices as thats what I pay in when I travel to and from Dublin, as I live in London now. The EURO prices will be higher numbers

ok, just did a quick search on RYANAIR and this is what came up

For 1 adult, Dublin to London Gatwick return

24 July 09
Dublin flight FR1124 departs 13.40
arrives London Gatwick 14.55
25 Euros

1 August 09
London Gatwick FR 1125 departs 15.50
arrives Dublin 17.10
1 Euro

cost of flights 26 Euro
charge for checked baggage 20 Euro
Credit card charge 10 Euro

total cost of return flights Dublin to London 56 Euro

Last edited:
THANK YOU all for your help, I checked out Ryanair and the total came up to 32 euros, that's about $45 usd (from this currency website I chkdout)... I will chkout the other airline.. Ialso found a cheap flight to Zurich but not sure if any discount airlines fly out of there...

some more ryanair tips

even though its online check in only, and just a bag drop at the actual airport. make sure you are at the bag drop area at least 2 hours before your flight. Im travelling back to London today with Ryanair and I plan to be at the airport 2 and a half hours before my flight, even though I am checked in and have printed my boarding card at home!

Be prepared for chaos and disorganisation when you travel with ryanair, just go with the flow. Its not worth stressing yourself when flying with ryanair as despite the apparant disorganisation and frayed tempers, you will get on the plane and get to London.

When arriving in Dublin and getting a connecting flight to London, allow at least 3 hours between flights. When you arrive in Dublin , you may have a 15 to 20 minute walk to customs and immergration and passport control, depending on which terminal you arrive at. Once you have cleared passport control which could take awhile depending on how many non EU passengers are on your flight, you have another 10 to 15 minute walk to baggage reclaim. You then have to exit the baggage relaim out to the arrivals hall. Then you have to walk upsatirs to the departures area and find the Ryanair bag drop area.
Once you have dropped your bag its advisable to go straight though security and into the depature areas. When going though security at Dublin airport, make sure you have no liquids over 100 mls in your hand luggage. This includes things like handcream, toothpaste, drinks etc. Also the machines at Dublin airport are very sensitive, and usually I make sure I put everything into my bag before going through. I also take off my belt and shoes and coat.

At Dublin airport there are plenty of shops and places to eat once you have cleared security . Be warned though, there is a 20 minute walk to some terminals so dont get side tracked when shopping.

Back