Michael performing It's The Falling In Love with Patti Austin at the Budweiser Superfest in 1982

Thanks for posting, I haven't seen the interview before! I wish there was more of the rehearsal (1:13)! :wild:
I wish we could download this...

Btw where is the performance you mentioned? I hope it's not the part that I named rehearsal LOL

:wild: what?!?! I need MORE!!!!!!!!!!!
wow, thanks for posting :yes:

I wanna see all of it and the performance :girl_weeping:

Wow, amazing footage. Thanks for posting.

I hope this footage turns up on YouTube. I'd love to see the full performance of Michael at the Budweiser Superfest in 1982. Just when you think you've seen everything of Michael from an era, something brilliant and you've never seen or heard of before turns up.

Wow, amazing footage. Thanks for posting.

I hope this footage turns up on YouTube. I'd love to see the full performance of Michael at the Budweiser Superfest in 1982. Just when you think you've seen everything of Michael from an era, something brilliant and you've never seen or heard of before turns up.
:yes:

After painfully getting thru the video's many pauses and such,
I replayed it and it went thru more smooth. Thank goodness.
Michael is a great subject to interview. Totally out the box, unique, with a very creative mind.

The part where MJ is onstage at the Superfest, singing and spinning,
is that where he's with Patti? Cuz I couldnt actually hear the song nor did I see Patti.
Still great and very rare!

Lol @ "spaghetti with a thousand hands". Lol!

Thanks for posting and I'm glad I didnt miss it. :)

The part where MJ is onstage at the Superfest, singing and spinning,
is that where he's with Patti? Cuz I couldnt actually hear the song nor did I see Patti.
Still great and very rare!

I'm not sure what Michael is singing in that clip. To me it doesn't look like he's singing It's The Falling In Love, but you never know. Patti Austin does look like she's one of the backing singers their, and I think I can spot James Ingram and maybe Michael's brother Marlon Jackson ?

I really want to know more about Michael's performance and setlist at the Superfest in 1982. I've searched on Google and Yahoo and found nothing about Michael, the only information I've found is this New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/13/arts/soul-garden-superfest.html, but it doesn't mention anything about Michael.

I'm not sure what Michael is singing in that clip. To me it doesn't look like he's singing It's The Falling In Love, but you never know. Patti Austin does look like she's one of the backing singers their, and I think I can spot James Ingram and maybe Michael's brother Marlon Jackson ?

I really want to know more about Michael's performance and setlist at the Superfest in 1982. I've searched on Google and Yahoo and found nothing about Michael, the only information I've found is this New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/13/arts/soul-garden-superfest.html, but it doesn't mention anything about Michael.

For some reason it doesn't look like ITFIL to me either. I have some kind of remembrance that I've seen it as a video, in B/W and Patti, is she a black singer? did she have an afro at the and of 70s? If she's not than I probably confused it with something else.

^^Someone on Youtube has the performance on audio tape and is trying to convert it to MP3

Yes, Patti Austin is a black artist

Very rare indeed! Interesting, as I didn't think that Michael made more than one cameo appearance at the 1982 Superfest, where he reportedly danced a bit but did not sing... Below is one of the very, very few articles ever published describing the event, with pictures. More interesting is that while Michael has a different vest/shirt on in the video, other artists including Valerie Simpson and James Ingram appear to be wearing the same thing--so maybe this all did occur on that day but Michael switched outfits backstage? The LA event went on for nine hours so it's certainly possible!

mj_news_1982_a_1.jpg

mj_news_1982_a_2.jpg

mj_compare_a.jpg

mj_compare_b.jpg

I wonder what Michael was singing, he appears to be singing an upbeat song. Maybe he's singing another artists song. What I love about Michael in the 1980's is his rawness, sponinaiety and the fact that at the he would sing and dance live before the overly choreographed Dangerous and HIStory Tours.

Very rare indeed! Interesting, as I didn't think that Michael made more than one cameo appearance at the 1982 Superfest, where he reportedly danced a bit but did not sing... Below is one of the very, very few articles ever published describing the event, with pictures. More interesting is that while Michael has a different vest/shirt on in the video, other artists including Valerie Simpson and James Ingram appear to be wearing the same thing--so maybe this all did occur on that day but Michael switched outfits backstage? The LA event went on for nine hours so it's certainly possible!
Thanks for posting the article!!!!!! :yes: This is interesting, I just wanna see that performance!!!! cause the article says he didn't sing too!
I wonder what Michael was singing , he appears to be singing an upbeat song. Maybe he's singing another artists song. What I love about Michael in the 1980's is his rawness, sponinaiety and the fact that at the he would sing and dance live before the overly choreographed Dangerous and HIStory Tours.
oh man, I couldn't agree with you more :yes::clapping:

Very interesting. I never knew about this. What month is this from? Michael was probably recording Thriller at this time. Also, it seems like he is dancing to something very fast. Something like "Working Day and Night".

I will put this post back on top, because I have an update on this one.

Sometime ago, I started making my own research , to find out what exactly he was singing, and I found a person on a PATTI AUSTIN forum, who claimed to have the audio of that festival.

I asked the person if MICHAEL performed IT'S THE FALLING IN LOVE with PATTI, and yesterday, after months, I got this reply:

'' Hi. Michael actually sang "Stuff Like That" with everyone. Ashford & Simpson, Patti Austin and James Ingram. I will try to get that up with today's technology. ''

The video prooves that, now all we need is the audio.

Hope that happens soon.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks!
I hope it turns up soon.

Meanwhile the original link in the OP doesn't work anymore.
Anyone know another link to that video?

Yeah. Someone got another link to this? Would have been great :D

Thanks

mj_news_1982_a_1.jpg

mj_news_1982_a_2.jpg

mj_compare_a.jpg

mj_compare_b.jpg
Thank you, I have never seen pics and screens of this before. :D Great find.

Back