R.Kelly Appreciation Thread

Mjkop4ever

Proud Member
Hi everybody! :)

I just wanted to open a thread for this man!
I really like his music!

Please post your favorite songs in this thread and enjoy! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I start with one of my fave song... "I believe I can fly"

"The world's greatest"

"Ignition remix" :punk:

"It's your birthday"

Post your songs too!!!!

How funny I just read this post then got this in an email.....

"R Kelly Live at Wembley Arena
Wednesday 8th July 2009

One of the world's most influential producers and R&B innovator, R.Kelly, will be heading to Wembley Arena for his first UK gig in 8 years.The platinum-selling artist will be performing for the grand finale of THISDAY Music Festival 2009, after playing in South Africa and Nigeria in June and July as part of the multi-city tour.

THISDAY Music and Fashion Festivals, have brought music and fashion icons as well as world and business leaders, to Lagos, Abuja, London and Washington, DC, including Bill Clinton, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Usher and many more over the past few years.This summer's event is set to be no exception with further acts to be announced soon.

Tickets go on sale NOW and are available via the tab below, www.ticketmaster.co.uk or our ticket hotline: 0844 815 0815.

Book today to avoid disappointment!

BOX OFFICE | 0844 815 0815"

Ohh I really would like to see him in live but unfortunately, London is too far just for 1 concert! :(
But if he will perform in France, I will certainly see him! :)

R. Kelly is definitely in my top ten favorite artists, maybe top five, and he's in the top five or six artists I listen to the most. I was very dismayed to hear about the "You Are Not Alone" situation. I'm also a bit dismayed that such a stunning live performer lip-syncs so much and doesn't do shows with a full band. His concerts are mostly playback.

Be that as it may, he's got countless, and I do mean countless songs that I enjoy. I could probably easily spout of at least 50 and be forgetting another 100.

47790529.jpg

Homie, Lover, Friend (Looking For My Homie Mix)

happypeopleusavedme.png

One of my favorite (no, actually, it IS my favorite) Stepper Grooves.

Happy People

65632460.jpg

One of my favorite hip-hop tracks. Funky, rhythmic, not overly dirty... Keith Murray features.

Home Alone feat. Keith Murray

Really mellow and funky track, with a nice piano beat. Upbeat, clean, love it.

Spendin' Money

qsjookjoint.png

Some Quincy Jones-produced smooth, soulful R&B with an all-star R&B cast. A new "Secret Garden", if you will.

Heaven's Girl feat. Aaron Hall, Charlie Wilson, Naomi Campbell, R. Kelly & Ron Isley

And R. Kelly has a ton of stuff he's written and produced for other artists, a few of my favs:

lifemusicinspiredbythem.png

Life Soundtrack

Fortunate - Maxwell

Life - K-Ci & JoJo

Then there's "I Wish", "Be Careful" with Sparkle, "When A Woman's Fed Up", "Prayer Changes", "Bump N Grind (Old School Remix)" and I don't even know how many others. A top-notch artist who, if he could apply himself and immerse himself in his craft more, could have really been something even more special than what he is, and maybe have even more crossover appeal with an older and/or more mature audience (like Luther Vandross' audience).

^ Excellent post! :)
I adore the R. album
possibly the best R&B album ever!

I've been a fan since 2003. The Chocolate Factory album helped me out getting through some tough period. I have all of his own studio albums and some of the singles, many of the albums that he worked on as a producer/songwriter or featured on such as Aaliyah's, The Isley Brothers', JS' etc. and yeah some soundtracks.

Hard to pick several songs, let alone a few. He's got sooo many great tracks in his whole discography. Some are well known and others less well known esp. outside of his fan base. So, I'll post the songs that I dig among what yall haven't posted.

(off his own albums/singles)
12 Play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUfGkrn_70
Somethings Never Change (off the bootlegged Loveland album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQtUELlkis
Far More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DDYzAT6PU0
Trade In My Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4hPNnX5m9Q
Your Body's Callin (His and Hers Mix) ft.Aaliyah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQj-MvgLwo
Touched A Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Ls5mCfhNk&feature=related
Gotham City remix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVYSo1Zatlo&feature=channel
The Storm Is Over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5ihUrGRi8
The Greatest Sex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcL3eO-N3to

(among the songs he wrote for others)
You Are Not Alone&One More Chance:)

Guess What remix-Syleena Johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCvg0n2Zzw
Street Thang-Aaliyah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BI_LAsxgyw

Prize Possession-The Isley Brothers

Friend of Mine remix-Kelly Price ft.Ronald Isley&R.Kelly

I could go on and on....He's a very prolific songwriter and got A WHOLE LOTTA songs under his belt. His contribution to the music industry and esp. R&B/Soul is huge.

I only have the tp 2 album, but i did have the R. cassette awhile back ago-- LUVED it. The album cover looked like a widescreen movie, but it was anyway. My fav kells album.

If I'm With You.
Half on a Baby.
Don't Put Me Out.
Only the Loot Can Make Me Happy.
VIP.
We Ride - with jay z, camron, nore, vegas boyz, and jay z (TrackMasters baby!!)
Strip For You
I don't Mean It.
Fiesta
One Me
All I Really Want
Feeling On Your Booty
Step In The Name of Love
Never Leave

And some more but I'm listening to Did You Ever think right now and i cant think :listeningtomusic:

the last great quiet storm artist, imo. i prefer his greasy Chris Jasper-inspired slow jams over anything else. i recently posted this in the babymakers thread but here's my favourite:

1zam8g.jpg

R. Kelly
It Seems Like You're Ready

Some Quincy Jones-produced smooth, soulful R&B with an all-star R&B cast. A new "Secret Garden", if you will.

qsjookjoint.png

Heaven's Girl feat. Aaron Hall, Charlie Wilson, Naomi Campbell, R. Kelly & Ron Isley

And R. Kelly has a ton of stuff he's written and produced for other artists, a few of my favs:

lifemusicinspiredbythem.png

Life Soundtrack

Life - K-Ci & JoJo
just as a point of interest, both of the above were proposed for Mike's HIStory album but he rejected and opted instead for You Are Not Alone.

"TP-2" is one of my favorite albums of all time, all the sex is 85% the only subject matter,but its cool,lol!. He's coming to South Africa soon but what Superstition said about not traveling with a live band put me off. I want them horns, keys,bass, drums ect.

Last edited:
How funny I just read this post then got this in an email.....

And what's even more funny is that I thought of making a thread called "R. Kelly Appreciation Thread" the other day, but for some reason didn't :D - Sometimes weird stuff just happens.

You know, there has always been Michael Jackson & R. Kelly right in the top for me.
What I love with Kells is that he's not just a great artist, he's an amazing music producer.
I mean, this mans remixes are out of this world... 9 times out of 10, his remixes sound nothing like the original... they become new songs.

The last couple of years he has been quite disappointing for me though. - I'm sad to see him jump on the hype of today industry when a legend as himself don't need to do that to stay relevant.
But every once in a while he's surprising me at least semi-positively with songs like "Believe", "Supa Dupa Man" & "Playas Get Lonely".

Some of my favourite original work from him are "I Wish", "Gotham City", "I'm Your Angel", "Your Body's Callin'", "Heaven I Need a Hug", "A Woman's Threat", "Down Low", "When I Think About You", "I Believe I Can Fly"... (I can go on for days).

But then, there's his remixes... and he's to me the remix champion...

Great post Bruce :)

I also like A Woman's Threat off of TP-2.Com.
And From Chocolate Factory: Forever More, Imagine That
and the bluesy tune,You made me love you.

So many......

^ Thanks! :)

Here's a rare(?!) interview with R. Kelly where he talks about his music, life and stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5WlhQfsZOI
(Sorry it's not embeddable - and the quality could be better)

...I came across some interviews where Kells is talking about working with MJ:

R. Kelly (singer/songwriter/producer, worked on 'HIStory')
[...] I grew up with the music of Michael and I've been inspired a great deal by Michael. To actually have him call me up, call my management, saying he wants me to do a song for him was a great inspiration for me to go forward in my career. And up to the day I met him it was like a big countdown. I think it's normal when you grow up to the music of someone that has been there so long and is so large. To meet this person and knowing that this person depends on me. When an artist calls a producer he makes himself dependent on him to become # 1, to get something that comes out as a track. At this time, Michael Jackson depended on me to make something come true for him.

I remember a funny thing about him. I had ordered Chinese food and had put up all these Walt Disney cups all over the studio because I knew he was a big kid. I knew that. Everyone knew that. And I also got my little dog because I knew he loved animals. I couldn't afford giraffes, but I did have a dog. It broke ice and we talked. And I went to the bathroom and my manager came with me, and I remember that I fell to the floor because I just couldn't believe it. But I got back up and straightened myself out because I realized that I had to be professional. [...] It's always great to work with someone who is wonderful because they bring you forward. Michael was very humble. He also didn't wanna change anything. Some artists want to change songs so that they like them, but I don't go for that. I don't want to destroy the magic. I don't like messing with the magic and what you risk to reach something is what you need to keep it. Michael figured this also.
[source: VIVA; October 1999]

I thought it was funny when I told Michael Jackson I didn't want to fly, and he was giving me reasons why I should. I kept looking him in the eye, and I kept saying "uh-huh, uh-huh" and "oh, I see," knowing all the time that I would not be getting on a plane. Working with Michael was definitely not just another day at the office.
[source: VIBE magazine; June/July 1995]

Question: So it was cool working with Michael?
R. Kelly: I was so nervous, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish the project. When he first got to the studio, something weird came over me. Michael was another level, and it was a hell of a level to go to. But passion took over, and it put a shield around me and allowed me to be just a normal guy who felt like he worked with Michael all the time.
Question: Was he really receptive, or was he, like, "No, muhfucka, I've been doing this for 30 years."
R. Kelly: He was never that. That's why he's been here for 30 years. He was more humble than me-got up under my wing. He wanted to know what it was I wanted from him. And if he could give it to me.
Question: How did that feel?
R. Kelly: Everything Mrs. McLin told me was true: I was born for this. I was ready. I didn't know that until I met Michael. My teacher told me when I was 15 that one day I would work with Michael Jackson, that one day I'd produce him, and that Quincy Jones would come to me for songs, and Stevie Wonder. I haven't worked with Stevie yet, but she told me these things would happen, and to see them come to pass is amazing.
[source: VIBE magazine; March 1996

Last edited:
the last great quiet storm artist, imo. i prefer his greasy Chris Jasper-inspired slow jams over anything else. i recently posted this in the babymakers thread but here's my favourite:

1zam8g.jpg

R. Kelly
It Seems Like You're Ready

&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp
&ampampampnbsp
Yeah I saw you posted it at the thread. Bump 'N Grind and Sex Me are much more famous cuz they were hot singles at the time, but this song right here been popular as well. It fits into what they usually call "slow jam" much better than the 2 singles, IMO. I like all of the 3 songs, tho.

just as a point of interest, both of the above were proposed for Mike's HIStory album but he rejected and opted instead for You Are Not Alone.
In fact, MJ loved the Life song so much and wanted to record it, but it was R.Kelly who persuaded him to go with You Are Not Alone. R.Kelly talked about this episode in one of the interviews back in the day. I'm like, "Michael coulda recorded both!"

I didn't know Heaven's Girl was proposed for HIStory, thanks:)

Thanks for posting Bruce. I've had the quotes myself, but nice to see them here.
He mentioned MJ as one of his biggest inspirations in one of his early interviews (around when the single She's Got That Vibe dropped). He mentioned Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway as well. I had the chance to hear the interview by an audio link and he sounds so sincere and earnest you can feel how much those 3 artists influenced him growing up.

Another info, he got a lot of help and guidance from his high school music teacher Lenna McLin (she's like his 2nd Mother/Chaka Khan was also taught by her). She was the one who discovered his talent and pushed him to learn to play the piano, write songs about any and everything, you know, she helped him with everything he needed to learn to become a musician.
She once told him while he was still in school, "You gonna work with great artists such as Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, and Quincy Jones." She was right in predicting he would later work with MJ and Quincy Jones. What an insight!

*Oh I just saw the direct quote in the Vibe magazine interview Brunce posted above*

Last edited:
Wow, never knew that. I'd love to hear MJ's take on either of those songs.

In fact, I'd love to hear MJ do something a bit more urban. YANA and lots of stuff from Invincible was a nice tease.

Bob can't give MJ corny tracks that try to live up to I Believe I Can Fly. he needs to write him the material he's by far the best at - greasy quiet storm - can't fault it and gotta love it; a genius in that respect because the slow jam grooves he created over the 90s have been second to none.

but R Kelly writing tracks titled You Are Not Alone, Cry and One More Chance? naaaa, it's all about It Seems Like You're Ready, Bump 'n Grind and Your Body's Callin'.

so i think Mike missed the boat on this BIG TIME, and it's why i hate his popularity, especially with the kiddies. though i was a kiddie during the 90s, so i should hate myself too for helping to provide him such an audience.

"Your Body's Callin'" would be such an epic win to hear Michael sing, without doubt.

I'd even love to hear Michael sing one of those really freaky songs like "Down Low" (not necessarily for a CD release though), it would've been such a "shocker".

Haha imagine Mike singing "Sex In The Kitchen", he'd be like; "GIRL I'M READY TO TOSS YOUR SALAD!"
dead2qv0.gif

R. Kelly Live... live singing.

That is exactly why I'm mad he's jumped on the auto tune train - I mean, it's like having a Lamborghini and be like "naw fuck it, I'm gonna ride around in my Trabant instead".

Why sound like everyone else you when can sound like yourself, he hit every note in that performance.

Of course it's more than the auto tuner that is wrong with his music today - but he's still selling records so I guess there are some people out there that enjoy what he's doing today :)

Last edited:
Has everyone checked out the end of the "Same Girl Remix" where he does his MJ impression? It starts at about 3:56

Bob can't give MJ corny tracks that try to live up to I Believe I Can Fly. he needs to write him the material he's by far the best at - greasy quiet storm - can't fault it and gotta love it; a genius in that respect because the slow jam grooves he created over the 90s have been second to none.

but R Kelly writing tracks titled You Are Not Alone, Cry and One More Chance? naaaa, it's all about It Seems Like You're Ready, Bump 'n Grind and Your Body's Callin'.

so i think Mike missed the boat on this BIG TIME, and it's why i hate his popularity, especially with the kiddies. though i was a kiddie during the 90s, so i should hate myself too for helping to provide him such an audience.
How about steppin songs? When Kellz dropped Step in the Name of Love (the original and the remix) and the whole Happy People album, I saw the videos and listened to the songs and thought to myself, "Kellz got some moves here. If he writes tunes like this for MJ, it would be fantastic" Yeah Kellz got some moves, but we all know MJ would make the globe step in the name of love:yes: I can picture him steppin, snappin fingers, smiling all over his face.

And...do you like R.Kelly's gospel songs? Songs that sound much more gospel than some of his famous gospel-influenced songs (such as I Believe I Can Fly, The Storm Is Over). I'm talkin bout Trade In My Life, almost all the tracks off U Saved Me album, several tracks he did with members of The Winans Family, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea if MJ sing on those "strictly church" songs written by Kellz. R.Kelly got so many slow jams and sexual songs (that ain't slow jams) but he also grew up in church.

Back