Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 68 USD (36%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist thread

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Atheist thread

Hi. My name is Kent. I am an atheist. I see alot of religion on MJ forums, and I wonder if this is a common thing in the fan community. I wonder how many are atheists and fans of MJ?

If you exist, please leave a post and say hi:)

Peace!

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Atheist thread

I am agnostic. Just in case I see the pearly gates and think 'darn'.. I will argue my case in point that I was being open minded ;)
    Michael Jackson
    1958 - Forever

https://twitter.com/jameskfox

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

I don't like religions because it separates people - I don't agree with anything that separates people.

However I have a strong belief in God as a force of nature, as a part of yourself, and as the unconscious mind that set balance in the world.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

i'm atheist too :)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I was a die hard christain went to church all the time and everything untill I was 17. then I was a die hard atheist for 9 years, and now I'm an agnostic.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Ok, thanks for responding. Nice to chat about something else then Michael, lol.

Well I am an atheist because I do not believe in things that do not have evidence for it.

Also, after reading human history and human psychology, I came to realize that the concept of a God most likely comes from our own imagination. I won't get into it to much, because I don't want to write five pages to explain myself. That I can do on PM.

But for me, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And in all human history, there has been no evidence for anything remotely close to being divine.

The Universe does not require a God to exist, and we know life do not require a God to evolve. When I think about that, and review human history and human thought, I am deeply convinced that religion and the belief in a higher force is nothing but wishful thinking. The Universe is complex, it is old and it is huge. It contains wonders never seen before, and it works on a set of laws, that no longer are laws if we look at the really small(particles) The Universe is a system of chance and probability. It is a maze of posibillities, and it might not be the only one out there. I study a lot of science and quantum mechanics is perhaps the most interesting field. It shows what the Universe really is. It gives you a perspective of the physical world, you cannot get from looking at it in a normal way. We humans simply can not see matter. We only see light and we only see parts of that light. Thanks to technology and science we can look at the building blocks for matter. We can see what energy is and how it changes into matter.

I bet many didn't know this. But matter is actually space. It is emptiness. When you touch something, you actually don't touch anything. Your atoms collide with the atoms of the object you touch, and the electromagnetic force prohibits the two atoms from passing through each other. Hence the reason why objects feel hard or soft etc.

Stuff like this gets your mind going, and after digging your head through it a few times, religion becomes boring.

bgz

Both of my parents were baptized Lutherans, then became more and more distanced from organized religion and some of the uglier sides of it. I was not raised in any faith. Because I went to a Seventh Day Adventist college because it was close by and offered financial assistance, and still work in a SDA hospital, the Christian faith was and still is all around me.

I can't say I'm an outright atheist, but definitely agnostic. There are too many people of many faiths that I respect, be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc., there is something there about a higher power/s that I can't totally negate, nor can I confirm to myself.

While in school we took mandatory classes in comparative religions, and it was fascinating and enlightening. These were the "religions" that I recall studying for an entire semester:

Bahai, Buddhism, Confusiasm (sp), Islamic, Judaism, Native American, Sikism, Shinto, Taoism, Unitarian.

Of those, the ones I could most relate to/possibly embrace were Bahai/Native American/Unitarian.

Personally I have to respect everyone's beliefs if it does not negate or harm another person. But in return, I hope I can receive the same respect.

jmo
    Last edited by bgz; 17-06-2009 at 01:55 AM.

TehNilz

I'm not religious too. I went to a christian school and did all the bible studies and praying, but it's not for me.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    1 year registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.S. View Post
    Ok, thanks for responding. Nice to chat about something else then Michael, lol.

Well I am an atheist because I do not believe in things that do not have evidence for it.

Also, after reading human history and human psychology, I came to realize that the concept of a God most likely comes from our own imagination. I won't get into it to much, because I don't want to write five pages to explain myself. That I can do on PM.

But for me, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And in all human history, there has been no evidence for anything remotely close to being divine.

The Universe does not require a God to exist, and we know life do not require a God to evolve. When I think about that, and review human history and human thought, I am deeply convinced that religion and the belief in a higher force is nothing but wishful thinking. The Universe is complex, it is old and it is huge. It contains wonders never seen before, and it works on a set of laws, that no longer are laws if we look at the really small(particles) The Universe is a system of chance and probability. It is a maze of posibillities, and it might not be the only one out there. I study a lot of science and quantum mechanics is perhaps the most interesting field. It shows what the Universe really is. It gives you a perspective of the physical world, you cannot get from looking at it in a normal way. We humans simply can not see matter. We only see light and we only see parts of that light. Thanks to technology and science we can look at the building blocks for matter. We can see what energy is and how it changes into matter.

I bet many didn't know this. But matter is actually space. It is emptiness. When you touch something, you actually don't touch anything. Your atoms collide with the atoms of the object you touch, and the electromagnetic force prohibits the two atoms from passing through each other. Hence the reason why objects feel hard or soft etc.

Stuff like this gets your mind going, and after digging your head through it a few times, religion becomes boring.
    But how did the Universe come about? Something or someone is responsible for the Universe. The one great thing about the Universe is that it has an explaination for how things work and why it works.

But the question that has never been answered is WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE EXIST? WHY DO WE EXIST? WHAT IS IT ALL FOR?

I would never knock any religion. If someone wants to believe in a Supreme Being, then I say they should. I believe that BUDDHA, GOD, ALLA are all one in the same.

I rather live my life believing there is a God and dying and finding out there isn't instead of living my life believing there is no God and dying and finding out there is.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pamarella View Post
    But how did the Universe come about? Something or someone is responsible for the Universe.
    But then, who/what is responsible that "something or someone" that is responsible for the Universe?

bgz

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
    But then, who/what is responsible that "something or someone" that is responsible for the Universe?
    See, that's when it gets way too deep- the question that has been asked for generations...

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,869 Times in 5,163 Posts

Well, I was set up in Catholicism and I was the first communion, but I am not going to Mass, I do not attend church. But I am a person who reads the Bible and who believes in God. I'm always talking to God in my thoughts. I believe that He exists, there is something much bigger that drives and causes the events in our lives. I think the important thing is you have faith and believe in God, that He exists and will always be by your side in good times and bad. But speaking of religion is something very polemic, always generates a lot of discussion...
    Love does not see with the eyes but with the heart. (Shakespeare)

MICHAEL, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH... BECAUSE YOU EVOKE THE BEST IN ME.
    "If we can dream, we can do." (Walt Disney)
    TWITTER: Shanti2511

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
    That's the question I was asking. The Universe just didn't develope itself. A force of some kind is behind it. Anteist don't have any more proof that a Supreme Being or God doesn't exist then a person who believes in a being does. As an Atheist, you have the same questions, WHY AND WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN?

If Christians want to say it was God or Buddisht have their beliefs on who/what is behind the "WHY", or Hindu have theirs believes on "WHY" and so on and so on, to me it doesn't matter, its all the same!!! At the end of the day when you get down to it.

And to me for an Atheist to say there isn't a God means there is a small part of them that believe there is. To say that you DON"T believe in a being, there doubt in you that believes theres a possibility that there is one.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

there is plenty of evidance to prove god exists,you only have to look at nature,the bible also backs it up 100% and the bible has been proved right by archiology,
    we didnt just get here with a big explosion,a greater force than us is behind it all,

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by man.in.the.mirror View Post
    there is plenty of evidance to prove god exists,you only have to look at nature,the bible also backs it up 100% and the bible has been proved right by archiology,
    we didnt just get here with a big explosion,a greater force than us is behind it all,
    Well I believe in the big bang theory! And scientist can back that up! But I agree, a GREATER FORCE is behind it all. It's behind EVOLUTION and CREATION. I believe in Evolution.