Atheist thread

K.O.S.

Proud Member
Hi. My name is Kent. I am an atheist. I see alot of religion on MJ forums, and I wonder if this is a common thing in the fan community. I wonder how many are atheists and fans of MJ?

If you exist, please leave a post and say hi:)

Peace!

I don't like religions because it separates people - I don't agree with anything that separates people.

However I have a strong belief in God as a force of nature, as a part of yourself, and as the unconscious mind that set balance in the world.

I was a die hard christain went to church all the time and everything untill I was 17. then I was a die hard atheist for 9 years, and now I'm an agnostic.

Ok, thanks for responding. Nice to chat about something else then Michael, lol.

Well I am an atheist because I do not believe in things that do not have evidence for it.

Also, after reading human history and human psychology, I came to realize that the concept of a God most likely comes from our own imagination. I won't get into it to much, because I don't want to write five pages to explain myself. That I can do on PM.

But for me, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And in all human history, there has been no evidence for anything remotely close to being divine.

The Universe does not require a God to exist, and we know life do not require a God to evolve. When I think about that, and review human history and human thought, I am deeply convinced that religion and the belief in a higher force is nothing but wishful thinking. The Universe is complex, it is old and it is huge. It contains wonders never seen before, and it works on a set of laws, that no longer are laws if we look at the really small(particles) The Universe is a system of chance and probability. It is a maze of posibillities, and it might not be the only one out there. I study a lot of science and quantum mechanics is perhaps the most interesting field. It shows what the Universe really is. It gives you a perspective of the physical world, you cannot get from looking at it in a normal way. We humans simply can not see matter. We only see light and we only see parts of that light. Thanks to technology and science we can look at the building blocks for matter. We can see what energy is and how it changes into matter.

I bet many didn't know this. But matter is actually space. It is emptiness. When you touch something, you actually don't touch anything. Your atoms collide with the atoms of the object you touch, and the electromagnetic force prohibits the two atoms from passing through each other. Hence the reason why objects feel hard or soft etc.

Stuff like this gets your mind going, and after digging your head through it a few times, religion becomes boring.

Both of my parents were baptized Lutherans, then became more and more distanced from organized religion and some of the uglier sides of it. I was not raised in any faith. Because I went to a Seventh Day Adventist college because it was close by and offered financial assistance, and still work in a SDA hospital, the Christian faith was and still is all around me.

I can't say I'm an outright atheist, but definitely agnostic. There are too many people of many faiths that I respect, be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc., there is something there about a higher power/s that I can't totally negate, nor can I confirm to myself.

While in school we took mandatory classes in comparative religions, and it was fascinating and enlightening. These were the "religions" that I recall studying for an entire semester:

Bahai, Buddhism, Confusiasm (sp), Islamic, Judaism, Native American, Sikism, Shinto, Taoism, Unitarian.

Of those, the ones I could most relate to/possibly embrace were Bahai/Native American/Unitarian.

Personally I have to respect everyone's beliefs if it does not negate or harm another person. But in return, I hope I can receive the same respect.

jmo

Last edited:
I'm not religious too. I went to a christian school and did all the bible studies and praying, but it's not for me.

Ok, thanks for responding. Nice to chat about something else then Michael, lol.

Well I am an atheist because I do not believe in things that do not have evidence for it.

Also, after reading human history and human psychology, I came to realize that the concept of a God most likely comes from our own imagination. I won't get into it to much, because I don't want to write five pages to explain myself. That I can do on PM.

But for me, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And in all human history, there has been no evidence for anything remotely close to being divine.

The Universe does not require a God to exist, and we know life do not require a God to evolve. When I think about that, and review human history and human thought, I am deeply convinced that religion and the belief in a higher force is nothing but wishful thinking. The Universe is complex, it is old and it is huge. It contains wonders never seen before, and it works on a set of laws, that no longer are laws if we look at the really small(particles) The Universe is a system of chance and probability. It is a maze of posibillities, and it might not be the only one out there. I study a lot of science and quantum mechanics is perhaps the most interesting field. It shows what the Universe really is. It gives you a perspective of the physical world, you cannot get from looking at it in a normal way. We humans simply can not see matter. We only see light and we only see parts of that light. Thanks to technology and science we can look at the building blocks for matter. We can see what energy is and how it changes into matter.

I bet many didn't know this. But matter is actually space. It is emptiness. When you touch something, you actually don't touch anything. Your atoms collide with the atoms of the object you touch, and the electromagnetic force prohibits the two atoms from passing through each other. Hence the reason why objects feel hard or soft etc.

Stuff like this gets your mind going, and after digging your head through it a few times, religion becomes boring.

But how did the Universe come about? Something or someone is responsible for the Universe. The one great thing about the Universe is that it has an explaination for how things work and why it works.

But the question that has never been answered is WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE EXIST? WHY DO WE EXIST? WHAT IS IT ALL FOR?

I would never knock any religion. If someone wants to believe in a Supreme Being, then I say they should. I believe that BUDDHA, GOD, ALLA are all one in the same.

I rather live my life believing there is a God and dying and finding out there isn't instead of living my life believing there is no God and dying and finding out there is.

Well, I was set up in Catholicism and I was the first communion, but I am not going to Mass, I do not attend church. But I am a person who reads the Bible and who believes in God. I'm always talking to God in my thoughts. I believe that He exists, there is something much bigger that drives and causes the events in our lives. I think the important thing is you have faith and believe in God, that He exists and will always be by your side in good times and bad. But speaking of religion is something very polemic, always generates a lot of discussion...​

But then, who/what is responsible that "something or someone" that is responsible for the Universe?

That's the question I was asking. The Universe just didn't develope itself. A force of some kind is behind it. Anteist don't have any more proof that a Supreme Being or God doesn't exist then a person who believes in a being does. As an Atheist, you have the same questions, WHY AND WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN?

If Christians want to say it was God or Buddisht have their beliefs on who/what is behind the "WHY", or Hindu have theirs believes on "WHY" and so on and so on, to me it doesn't matter, its all the same!!! At the end of the day when you get down to it.

And to me for an Atheist to say there isn't a God means there is a small part of them that believe there is. To say that you DON"T believe in a being, there doubt in you that believes theres a possibility that there is one.

there is plenty of evidance to prove god exists,you only have to look at nature,the bible also backs it up 100% and the bible has been proved right by archiology,
we didnt just get here with a big explosion,a greater force than us is behind it all,

there is plenty of evidance to prove god exists,you only have to look at nature,the bible also backs it up 100% and the bible has been proved right by archiology,
we didnt just get here with a big explosion,a greater force than us is behind it all,

Well I believe in the big bang theory! And scientist can back that up! But I agree, a GREATER FORCE is behind it all. It's behind EVOLUTION and CREATION. I believe in Evolution.

Evolution vs Creationism debates go on and on and on...I do not understand why when the evolution theory is not only plausable, but there is fantastic evidence to support it.

Us Humans have such a large ego, that we have convinced ourselves of Gods etc...We couldn't really be animals too...could we?! Well, truth is, we are!

I believe that ancient Humans, as we started to evolve to what we are today, had no way of explaining what they saw around them, Therefore, Religion was created as a way to explain things. The biggest difference between us and other creatures that inhabit our planet, Is we have the ability to ask the question 'Why?'.

ALL Religion is a total load of sh*t! I'm sorry if that offends some people, but that's MY opinion.

To support my theory about the early Humans, here's an example:

The expression "God bless you" after someone sneezes was initially thought to keep a person's "soul" in their body, as they believed a sneeze was someone's "soul" attempting to escape the body!! Thanks to science and research, we can clarify that's NOT the case!

It's funny, Religious people believe in science when it comes to curing diseases etc...but refuse to accept science when it downplays the existence of "God"....

I would never knock any religion. If someone wants to believe in a Supreme Being, then I say they should. I believe that BUDDHA, GOD, ALLA are all one in the same.
I find that very plausible aswell :yes:

Although I was raised a christian, I now consider myself to be agnostic.
I don't exclude the possibility that there is a bigger force out there, be it God, Allah, Buddha, an energy or whatever you want to call it.

The reason for me to take a step back from religion is that I have experienced it to be very limited at times. Excluding cultures and believes because they don't fit into your own believes for me is like missing out on the precious things in life! I am open for and respect religions, but I try not to let any believes of mine interfere with experiencing the many different gifts of life.

Dunno if i'd call myself an atheist but i do not think i believe in god. A little part of myself wanna believe in him and kinda believes in him but at the same what has happened/ happens in this world prevents me from believing in him.

i dont belive in god , i just dont belive in something that cannot be proven, dont get me wrong though i respect other peoples religions. good thread, i wondered how many people on here were like me lol :)

I tend to consider myself an atheist because I stopped believing in him a really long time ago. There is not enough scientific evidence that he really does exist. Because it was the Big Bang that created the universe and it was evolution that created people and animals. HIStory channel when they did their program about the missing link. The scientists had recently discoved humans most earliest known ancestor. They say that it is 47 million years old. When I saw that program that alone made me believe that there is no god and it was evolution that really created humans.

But how did the Universe come about? Something or someone is responsible for the Universe. The one great thing about the Universe is that it has an explaination for how things work and why it works.

But the question that has never been answered is WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE EXIST? WHY DO WE EXIST? WHAT IS IT ALL FOR?

I rather live my life believing there is a God and dying and finding out there isn't instead of living my life believing there is no God and dying and finding out there is.

No one knows how the Universe came about. But we know a lot about what happened nanoseconds after it happened. If you want to dig your head deeper into this, I suggest you do some reading on Dr. Stephen Hawking. He has some books and lectures where he talks about this. Very interesting, and very true indeed.

But I can tell you this. The Universe does not exist for a purpose. That is the defualt position we humans must come to realize. No one exists for any special reason. You exist because you exist, and most importantly because you can exist. Existence just is. There is no divine plan. The Universe is random and does not rely on predetermined outcomes. Life is about opportunities. It is about sensing and experience, and most importantly survival.

If you want to know more about matter and energy, read quantum physics. As I said, the Universe is a maze of opportunities. And what can happen, will most likely happen, somewhere. Maybe here, maybe somewhere else. But the beauty of it, it can happen. And the most brilliant thing is. The Universe can happen without a cause. Sound silly? I know. But read some quantum physics and watch "The Double Slit" Experiment on YouTube, and you will have a new meaning of what is silly. Imagine this. Two particles existing at two different places at the same time. It actually is what happens, I kid you not;) What we know as cause and effect is the mechanical system that runs the Universe. But the crazy thing is that the notion of cause and effect only apply where space, matter, energy and time exist. Without this variables, there is no cause, no effect. That is what physics and quantum mechanics are struggling to figure out. How can existence come from none existence But they are so close to an answer now, it is only a matter of time until we have a unified theory. A theory of everything. The most likely answer they have is something called The Multiverse. They believe that there are several universes and these universes come about in the same manner as we did, and that this happens all the time, always has and always will be. The most likely answer to this is black holes. Universes expand, collapse and expand again. Some universes expand to become something like ours. Some universe expand just a tiny bit before collapsing in on itself. Like soap bubbles.

Quote:

"there is plenty of evidance to prove god exists,you only have to look at nature,the bible also backs it up 100% and the bible has been proved right by archiology,
we didnt just get here with a big explosion,a greater force than us is behind it all,"

I think you are mistaken Sir. There is no evidence for God. Looking at nature does not count as evidence. That is using common human perception and using your emotional responses to nature as evidence. Nature is what it is, and it does not require a higher force to exist. It requires two things to come into existence. Space and Energy. The Big Bang was not an explosion, it was an expansion of space and it is still going on. And the Bible has never been proven right by anyone. That is a false statement. The Bible is many things, but it is not credible to fact, and it is certainly not historically correct.

If anyone wants to convince me there is a God, you can not do it by analogy, or by using false dichotomy. You have to demonstrate empirically what the word God means, what it is, why it is, how it is and how it came to be. If you can do that, then you will convince this atheist beyond reasonable doubt. Till, then I stay a Pastafarian and believe in The Flying Spaghetti Monster. :)

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjwXe-pXvM

Here is part 1 of a lecture given by Dr. Stephen Hawking, where he talks about the origin of the Universe. Listen to what this brilliant man has to say. The lecture is long, but after you have seen it, you will see things in a slightly different way then you did before.

I'm an Atheist 100% i don't belive in the bible and how narrow minded it makes people and the amount of problems its caused for the world

I'm an Atheist 100% i don't belive in the bible and how narrow minded it makes people and the amount of problems its caused for the world

I dont think this comment is suitable, and can understand if it offends some people around here. What problems has the bible caused? and narrow minded surley beliving in a greater presence out there and the creation of existance by god is anything but narrow minded?

On another note i participated in a Alpha Course last year - I assume some may of heard of it? It was intersting and would recommend it for non believers. Its not there to convert (its did not convert me) its there to explain christianity. And they give you lots of wine and cake yum yum!

I dont think this comment is suitable, and can understand if it offends some people around here. What problems has the bible caused? and narrow minded surley beliving in a greater presence out there and the creation of existance by god is anything but narrow minded?

On another note i participated in a Alpha Course last year - I assume some may of heard of it? It was intersting and would recommend it for non believers. Its not there to convert (its did not convert me) its there to explain christianity. And they give you lots of wine and cake yum yum!

Well the Bible alone has started numerous Wars over the years, then theres other religions disagreeing with the Christian bible e.t.c. which leads to more fights, also religion has effects on stuff that doesn't really concern it like Politics e.t.c. the bible and religion as a whole is bad news for the world :yes:

Well the Bible alone has started numerous Wars over the years, then theres other religions disagreeing with the Christian bible e.t.c. which leads to more fights, also religion has effects on stuff that doesn't really concern it like Politics e.t.c. the bible and religion as a whole is bad news for the world :yes:
it,s not the bible that creates the wars it,s the people,i believe in jehovah(which means in hebrew causes to become) and i believe the bible to be gods word ,where does it say in the bible kill one another ,hate one another,i.d like to know.because it isn,t,and if people lived there lives by the bible,there wouldn,t be any need for wars,
it,s people who cause the wars through greed ,money,leadership ,power ,you name it.
personally i think this thread should be closed,i,m all for everyone having opinions,but it will sooner or later get out of hand,and there is people on the board from all different backgrounds and beliefs so someone eventually is gonna get upset,
i agree with you thriller mj yes religion doesn,t belong in polotics,

Last edited:

The Bible is the cause of much evil, there is no doubt about that. If someone takes offense at me or anyone saying this, then they do two things. They deny facts and they deny me and others right to criticize that book. People need to stop treating religion like this holy thing that can not be touched or talked down. Freedom of speech means you can say anything is good, and anything is bad. You can not be judged upon that. What you can and should be judged upon is wether your statement is accurate or not.

I personally would like the Bible to disapear into dust along with all the other "holy books" as I hate how it twists people's minds and distort childrens sense of reality and how its dogmatic nature pisses on human freedom and development.

Also, if you have read the Bible, you know there is some evil shit in it. No one can deny that, because it is written in the damn book, and you who say this book is the word of God and that it is accurate, have to justify why the book contains things like murder, rape, torture, slavery etc. The old testament tells of an evil character called God who will make your life miserable if you do not obey and believe in him. The new testament is slightly less harsh, but it still holds the same dogmatic none negotiable rules of conduct and philosophy of life. The book contradicts itself numerous times and it states claims about our world we know today to be false.

If you feed your kids with this stuff and tell them it is the truth, you are robbing them of a real chance to actually learn what the world is all about, and explore their own fate.

When you label your child to your religion before the child is able to think for itself, you commit child abuse.

Hammer me all you want for saying this, but I know alot of people who agree and do alot of good things to prevent this from destroying us. Because religion WILL be the cause for our doom, long before nature takes care of it.

Right now, a bunch of terrorist muslims are working on getting a nuclear device. Do not even think about telling me that religion has nothing to do with why these people exist.

I live in Norway, an atheist country. We have the lowest murder rate and highest living standards on Earth (Read from UN) We have proven that letting go of old mid evil myths and primitive life views leads to prosperity and happiness. There are some christians left, but they hold no influence in office, they pass no laws. Children are not taught about God in school by law. In my country, the days of religion is over. In a few generations, ALL Norwegians will be atheists. The rest of the world will follow one day, but I fear it will take a massive disaster of global magnitude to wake people up to realize that this fantasy of ours is nothing more then a feel good drug that we have grown dependent on.

Don't get me wrong, I do respect your right to believe what you will. But I do not approve of people who try to inject their beliefs onto innocent children, and at the same time try to pass laws and manipulate schools to indoctrinate people. That I will fight against for the rest of my life.

Right now, a bunch of terrorist muslims are working on getting a nuclear device. Do not even think about telling me that religion has nothing to do with why these people exist.

Its a facade. If it wasn't religion it would be something else.

Religion aside, with billions of people on earth it wouldn't matter if everyone was an atheist, we'd still have wars. No, that is not a fact, that is a theory, and probably backed up by the fact that Amazonian tribes who probably don't believe in any higher power and have never heard of God will hack and slash someone sailing down their part of the river or walking through their turf.

I live in Norway, an atheist country. We have the lowest murder rate and highest living standards on Earth (Read from UN) We have proven that letting go of old mid evil myths and primitive life views leads to prosperity and happiness. There are some christians left, but they hold no influence in office, they pass no laws. Children are not taught about God in school by law. In my country, the days of religion is over. In a few generations, ALL Norwegians will be atheists. The rest of the world will follow one day, but I fear it will take a massive disaster of global magnitude to wake people up to realize that this fantasy of ours is nothing more then a feel good drug that we have grown dependent on.

Nearly 83% of Norwegians are members of the state Church of Norway, to which they are registered at baptism. Many remain in the state church to be able to use services such as baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial, rites which have strong cultural standing in Norway. Up to 40% of the membership attends church or religious meetings at least once annually, with fewer attending regularly.

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005, 32% of Norwegian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god," whereas 47% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 17% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force.

As long as the human race is divided AND dependent on natural resources, wich we do not share, then yes we will have wars. But we will have far less bloody wars. All the biggest and bloodiest wars were motivated by religion. The war on terror is motivated by religion.

Back