Staples website gets half billion hits - Public Memorial

First google, facebook, twitter.... now the staples centre website.

Copied from the below link:

"LOS ANGELES (AFP) — The website set up to process applications for tickets to Michael Jackson's memorial service received more than half a billion hits in less than two hours, officials said Friday.

A statement released by representatives for the Jackson family said an additional server had been added to the website -- www.staplescenter.com -- to cope with the volume of traffic.

"As of 11:30 this morning, www.staplescenter.com has received over 500,000,000 hits," the statement said.

The website crashed within minutes of officials announcing plans to hold an online lottery for 17,500 free tickets to watch Tuesday's service at the Staples Center and a neighboring venue in downtown Los Angeles."

direct link
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g6b7zfZEBd9Lfwo6sR32l3MqeEkA

I heard this reported on CNN around the time of the memorial conference...doesn't surprise me at all...he was loved the world over. :give_heart: I know wherever he is.... somewhere he is smiling about it.

Last edited:
AHHHH THIS IS SO MICHAEL... although these are extremely sad days.. i feel happy that MJs getting such a massive celebration and the outpouring of love is bigger than anything i ever imagined!!!! wish you were here to see this MJ

Truly the King, forever and always. No one else could do this, whether living or dead. Only our Michael. He was special and people will always have some sort of fascination with him I believe. He was just the best and connected with so many people. Michael is the greatest, period.

Truly the King, forever and always. No one else could do this, whether living or dead. Only our Michael. He was special and people will always have some sort of fascination with him I believe. He was just the best and connected with so many people. Michael is the greatest, period.

THE GREATEST... noone else even comes close. so proud of all of us for appreciating this great man before it was too late

wow...even if they weren't unique hits (some people probably visited several times)

He deserves the biggest send off yet all he is getting is a capacity for 20,000 fans and NO outside screens so fans can't even gather outside! This is restricting love! On top of that no final journey with fans lining the streets for miles and miles yet this funeral has got the most demand! I'm really angry at the lack of effort that has gone into this from police to others.

He deserves the biggest send off yet all he is getting is a capacity for 20,000 fans and NO outside screens so fans can't even gather outside! This is restricting love! On top of that no final journey with fans lining the streets for miles and miles yet this funeral has got the most demand! I'm really angry at the lack of effort that has gone into this from police to others.
Me too.

I never imagined such a "can't be bothered"type memorial ever:
Jackson memorial - please stay home

Article from: Agence France-Presse
AFP
July 04, 2009 09:15am

FANS hoping to attend next week's Michael Jackson memorial service are being urged to watch the event on television amid fears of huge crowds.
Speaking at a press briefing this morning to outline plans to distribute 17,500 tickets for the event at the Staples Centre, Los Angeles city officials said ticket-less fans would be barred from the area surrounding the venue.
``If you do not have a ticket, if you are not credentialed, not only will you not be allowed at these venues, you will not be allowed in this area,'' Los Angeles Police Department chief Earl Paysinger said.
Officials said no funeral procession will take place and the memorial service will not be shown on giant screens outside the venue.
``I would encourage all of the Michael Jackson fans and well wishers to take advantage of the TV broadcast,'' Paysinger added.
Organisers meanwhile revealed tickets for the event will be distributed via an Internet lottery, with fans registering at the Staples Centre's website to enter a draw.
About 11,000 tickets will be made available for the event inside the Staples Centre while an additional 6500 tickets will be distributed for fans watching a live feed at the neighbouring Nokia theatre.
Officials said 8750 pairs of tickets will be allotted to successful entrants.

Michael deserved better than this - he deserved the best! :(

All I hope for is that TRUE fans are getting these fans and not just people who want to be there just because it's a historical event.

AHHHH THIS IS SO MICHAEL... although these are extremely sad days.. i feel happy that MJs getting such a massive celebration and the outpouring of love is bigger than anything i ever imagined!!!! wish you were here to see this MJ

That is exactly how I feel. I've been so sad about it this whole time, but the one good thing about it is that people are finally playing his music, looking for his music, buying his music, remembering him, remembering how great he was, honoring him, paying tribute to him, saying nice things about him... so sad it took this for all that to happen though. I also have been hoping that somehow he knows about it.

Back