Victory: Despite it having the best cover art of all Jackson records...

tragickingdom

Proud Member
is there any rememorable song on here worth noting? I tend to remember songs from Destiny and Triumph the most.

album-victory.jpg

State of Shock and Be Not Always are the highlights for me. In fact, I think State of Shock is one of the best songs The Jacksons ever did. Although, I really do wish they'd ended up doing it with Freddie Mercury instead of Mick Jagger.

I love that album. I have it on a cassette tape. I'm hoping that someday they re-release it with bonus tracks like they did with Destiny and Triumph.

I like Victory. I bought it when it 1st came out on a cassette. I usually bought records and never bought tapes other than blanks, but I had the boom box and I wanted to listen to it right away, lol. I bought the vinyl later. You might not like it if you don't like the 1980s synth/new wave pop. If you only want to hear Mike, then skip it. Unlike the previous Jacksons albums, each brother gets a lead song except Jermaine who only duets with Mike on 'Torture' and does some ad libs on Jackie's 'Wait'. Jermaine had a solo album out at the same time, so was more focused on that. My favorite song on there is 'The Hurt'.

That is my favorite Jacksons album. I am listening to it right now. Right now it is the song The Hurt. I just love that song just like I love all of the other songs off of that album. Torture is one of my most favorite Jacksons song. OMG do I love Michael's voice in that song. That is to me probably one of the best Jacksons songs ever.

I've always wondered why the buff brothers are on one side, and the other 3 that are all covered up on the other, lol. I also wondered why some covers had a dove on Randy's shoulder and some didn't. The picture disc also had the dove.

That is my favorite Jacksons album. I am listening to it right now. Right now it is the song The Hurt. I just love that song just like I love all of the other songs off of that album. Torture is one of my most favorite Jacksons song. OMG do I love Michael's voice in that song. That is to me probably one of the best Jacksons songs ever.
The longer version on the maxi-single is better than the one on the album.

"One More Chance" seems to be a common title. The J5 had a song called that, The Jacksons had one, which Janet remade. Then Michael had a solo song with the same title.

Torture is a fun dark rock song.

Wait is fun.. not amazing or anything, but the ad-libs at the end are awesome.

State Of Shock is good fun.

We Can Change The World has a definitive groove once you get into it.

One More Chance is a great R&B song... untypical of the last few albums they put out.

Victory is actually the only Jackson's album i could find in my home, the other songs i have are off random cds

:p

my fav is State of shock
i love it!

I've always wondered why the buff brothers are on one side, and the other 3 that are all covered up on the other, lol. I also wondered why some covers had a dove on Randy's shoulder and some didn't. The picture disc also had the dove.

I think that for some reason MJ didn't want the dove there so they had to change it, so if you ever find a Victory vinyl (not the pic disc) with the dove on Randy's shoulder, you should know that it's much rarer than the other one. How rare I don't know.

We can change the world is an awesome song, love the groove, shame that they didn't put on the songs which featured Queen. It's too bad they didn't include any songs from this album on the Victory Tour.

I think that for some reason MJ didn't want the dove there so they had to change it, so if you ever find a Victory vinyl (not the pic disc) with the dove on Randy's shoulder, you should know that it's much rarer than the other one. How rare I don't know.

We can change the world is an awesome song, love the groove, shame that they didn't put on the songs which featured Queen. It's too bad they didn't include any songs from this album on the Victory Tour.
I don't understand what that had to do with anything, since Mike was only 1 vote in 6.

I don't understand what that had to do with anything, since Mike was only 1 vote in 6.

Don't ask me dude, that's what I heard, there's another explanation but I don't remember what it was.

But I think MJ opinion was more than just 1 vote in 6.

MJ refused to be in the Torture video, so they had to get a doll instead.

Don't ask me dude, that's what I heard, there's another explanation but I don't remember what it was.

But I think MJ opinion was more than just 1 vote in 6.

MJ refused to be in the Torture video, so they had to get a doll instead.
Jermaine wasn't in the video either. Michael wanted the tour sponsored by Quaker Oats (because at the time he was into health foods), but everyone else wanted to go with Don King's idea to go with Pepsi. Mike was outvoted by the other brothers. In the group, he was just another brother. Michael also didn't want to do the 4 ticket deal, but again was outvoted.

Jermaine wasn't in the video either. Michael wanted the tour sponsored by Quaker Oats (because at the time he was into health foods), but everyone else wanted to go with Don King's idea to go with Pepsi. Mike was outvoted by the other brothers. In the group, he was just another brother. Michael also didn't want to do the 4 ticket deal, but again was outvoted.

I found another explanation

the dove was removed because the rspca complained that everyone would want a dove which was how popular michael and the jacksons were at the time and epic agreed so removed the dove from the cover and destroyed the covers but a very limited number survived.

about the dove / no dove:

they planned to release doves at each concert...
but that was stopped by some animal rights organisation.
somehow in connection also the cover was changed.
it wasnt because michael didnt want it.

...as far as i heard......... :)

about the dove / no dove:

they planned to release doves at each concert...
but that was stopped by some animal rights organisation.
somehow in connection also the cover was changed.
it wasnt because michael didnt want it.

...as far as i heard......... :)

All of these explanations seem pretty weird

State of Shock and Be Not Always are the highlights for me. In fact, I think State of Shock is one of the best songs The Jacksons ever did. Although, I really do wish they'd ended up doing it with Freddie Mercury instead of Mick Jagger.
I for one prefer Mick Jagger. It's sounds kinda like a Stones song anyway.

I love the song Body. I think it was a real gem on this album.

I also like Wait (Michael's ad lib "My Pride" sold me on the song). Torture and One More Chance are songs I play again and again. I could not get into Be Not Always or We Can Change The World.

I loved the fact that the vinyl album was gatefold and had a great pic in the middle.

Back