why do ppl say INVINCIBLE was a low point in micheal's career??

mike_is_the_best

Proud Member
i mean i heard toure and others on these various documentaries say it.

i mean i can see how sales wize it could be considered a low point but musically is that album really a low point??

that album was really good..if anything the low point creatively in mike's career is blood on the dancefloor maybe....

but invincible had solid production and the songs where dope.

is it because it wasnt filled with "moonwalker" type songs or something?

anyway thats an album ill like to see go back to the charts like the others..

it done well,there was a lack off videos and tour in my opinion. if he had videos and a tour it would have been more known.

They compare everything to Thriller. If is doesn't match Thriller, it is not a success to them. A low point by Michael Jackson standards is still pretty darn good.

blind lead the blind
i think thats what it was. the media didnt grab into it as much as the others.. and most fans are sheeps that only go where the media leads them

so even though the album was good and if it was picked up ppl would enjoy it the ppl didnt pick it up because they werent told to go pick it..

sad really ...............thats what pisses me off about these "all of a sudden fans" now that mike is dead.

like 'where the hell where u a week ago??...all of a sudden you're now mike aficionados?"

bet they're the ones that are gonna fill the staples center on tuesday and then come wednesday when the media stops talkn about mike as much they all of a sudden stop being fans again

I HATE THEM!!

I won't worry too much about it. There are still MANY artists out there now who love Invincible for what it is, which is a very well constructed album.

I am merely waiting for those specific artists to speak!

Invincible was a great success. The hardest thing for someone like MJ who made the biggest selling album of all time. People want you to do better and better. But Thriller was just a phenomenon.

In Brisbane - there have been a lot of stores playing MJ's music - HMV were playing Invincible and for the most part from the general public - everyone loves it! Unbreakable, YRMW, Butterflies...everyone I've spoken to who appreciates music - quite likes this album :)

Invincible is awesome. I've been re-appreciating it over the last 24 hours and introducing my kids to it. Michael has personally said (and this is absolutely 100% true with video footage of it) that Sony sabotaged this album - largely Tommy Mottola

They say this because they are full of sh*t.

I want to know what sane person calls 10 million albums sold a flop.

In Brisbane - there have been a lot of stores playing MJ's music - HMV were playing Invincible and for the most part from the general public - everyone loves it! Unbreakable, YRMW, Butterflies...everyone I've spoken to who appreciates music - quite likes this album :)

that's nice to know. I love Invincible and think it's a great album, but I never hear it played anywhere. It must just be America where everyone acts like it was a total failure. :smilerolleyes:

Superstition said:
I want to know what sane person calls 10 million albums sold a flop.

exactly :doh:

it done well,there was a lack off videos and tour in my opinion. if he had videos and a tour it would have been more known.

I agree with you. A tour would have helped a great deal.

They compare everything to Thriller. If is doesn't match Thriller, it is not a success to them. A low point by Michael Jackson standards is still pretty darn good.
So true, He was always in competiton with himself every time he put out a album.

Invincible was a dissapointment to me in a sense we only got 1 music video, and not much else. There were only a few good songs, but I'm learning to appreciate more now with everything that's happend.

The thing that annoys me with the media is that EVERYTHING since Thriller is considerd a dissapointment. Despite Bad and Dangerous selling 30 million + , HIStory selling over 20 million and BOTDF being the largest selling remix album ever.

i think thats what it was. the media didnt grab into it as much as the others.. and most fans are sheeps that only go where the media leads them

so even though the album was good and if it was picked up ppl would enjoy it the ppl didnt pick it up because they werent told to go pick it..

sad really ...............thats what pisses me off about these "all of a sudden fans" now that mike is dead.

like 'where the hell where u a week ago??...all of a sudden you're now mike aficionados?"

bet they're the ones that are gonna fill the staples center on tuesday and then come wednesday when the media stops talkn about mike as much they all of a sudden stop being fans again

I HATE THEM!!

If fans were sheep about what the media said, then Michael would have no fans, since the media has said some awful things about Michael for years.

As for ''all of a sudden fans'' and speculating about their whereabouts a few weeks ago, one could wonder the same thing about the large number of fans here w/ June and July 09 registration dates including yourself. I don't see the point in questioning someone's 'fandom'; hey if someone wants to start liking Michael because they liked the MTV video marathon, great. The more fans the better. You do realize that is how a legacy continues as older generations of fans die.

Maybe some fans just didn't love the album. To me anyway a few of the tracks sounded generic/mediocre (unbreakable, Invincible, Break of Dawn, YRMW, butterflies), some I just plain didn't like (all the lost children, whatever happens, 2000 watts), and some I like a lot (Cry, Privacy, Threatened, Speechless). I don't hate the album and actually like listening to it, but among his albums I would agree w/ calling it his weakest. As for HIStory in the mix, it's just that, a remix album w/ five new tracks, so I'd hardly compare that effort to an album of all new material.

I'm probably a sheep w/ buying any new material that comes out, but that doesn't dictate what emotions the music will evoke when I hit play. Sorry if that offends.

Invincible is an amazing album, many people just don’t get it! but now they are realizing how good it is...

i still think the album drags on for way to long, take off:
cry, lost children, don't walk away, privacy and speechless and you have a pretty good album :)

I like Cry quite a bit. The others I like but could live without. The Lost Children definitely could have been left off.

Speechless and TLC are horrible and should not have been on there. Dear God I hope Michael wasn't planning on performing those...such a waste of time. Much rather see the other songs from Invincible.

Anyways, Invincible is considered a low point because Thriller sold 100+ million, with ITW, Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory selling between 20 to 50 million. HIStory is the best selling double disc album. BotDF is the best selling remix album.

Invincible sold 10 million. Half of is lowest previous sales (I think).
Also, too many ballads.

It's funny, cuz Speechless is my favourite MJ song of all time. The Lost Children is really beautiful too.

The album wasn't a flop at all and had some amazing tracks on it... I like them all actually. It just wasn't understood and was kept down by Sony.

And.. too many ballads, maybe yes... but I gotta say these ballads are absolutely amazing.

Well in a way it was.

Not by any fault of his own, and not due to the album not being any good. Michael had problems with Sony. It was a low point in his career, but his low points are what many would consider a massive success lol

in my humble opinion there were a few of good songs, but it was mainly mediocre. some songs were just awful (you are my life = worst mj song ever). i honesty, i can;t remember the last time i listened to it.

how many has it sold till now? 'Cause al albums rose with hundreds %.

I think the problem with invincible was, there were too many songs with similar themes to what we heard before, he got away with his 'anger' on History, because he had other great tracks on it...but he's continued these themes on invincible...it would have been stronger if he ignored his personal anger... or just stuck with one song - "unbreakable" which summaries everything up.

songs like 'privacy', 'threatended', 'the lost children' we have heard before...they should have been exclusive B sides or online tracks...

'don't walk away' was soppy and sounds dated'.

'whatever happens' - santana is awesome, but i think the song is spoilt as Jackson is singing from the third person, he doesn't really personalise it, sounds odd when you hear it...and very 80s, bon jovi style.

unbreakable - has a B.I.G Sample, similar beats are used on the track 'invincible' and 'heartbreaker' - not really marking his stamp on it...

2000 watts sounds a bit cheesy and naff.

stand out tracks for me...
are

you rock my world
butterflies (a grower...it is one the best songs he has recorded)
break of dawn
heaven can wait...

"speechless" either a 'bonus' track or the last track on the album - as the only slow track.

we needed a guitar anthem - something along the lines of give into me, d.s, come together'.

just my thoughts...

---

--

Mj was ahead of the time with this album.
The album had a more upbeat rnb/pop kinda thing, minus the ballads.

Just listen to Justins and Ushers cd's which were released after Invincible. Their songs had a similar beat as Invincibles non-ballad songs.

Once again MJ led the crowd.

Wow. I think this thread further proves what a genius Michael was to be able to satisfy so many different tastes in music.

I absolutely love Speechless. I think it is one of the most beautiful songs. Speechless, You Rock My World, 2000 Watts, Break of Dawn, and Heaven Can Wait are my favorites from that album. I like Butterflies and Whatever Happens, but they start to feel repetitive after a while, something Michael's songs don't usually do for me. The first three songs on the album I find to be quite generic, causing my friend and I at the time the album came out to speculate that Michael was trying to fit in with the current landscape of music. My only real problem with the album, though, is the lack of upbeat, dance songs. I can put any of Michael's other albums on and jam, but I cannot do that with Invincible.

Someone mentioned anger in relation to Invincible. I found that interesting. I listened to the whole Invincible album for the first time in a long time the other day and I was surprised at how not angry it was coming after HIStory v. 2 and Blood on the Dance Floor. The songs on Invincible are so full of love and joy that I cannot listen to it without thinking about how he rose above the things that made him angry prior to Invincible and how much he must have been inspired by his children for Invincible. It's like an ode to his children. It feels like he was high on love when he wrote the songs, especially Speechless. :)

I loved the album "Invincible"! I would put it up there on my fave album list with "Dangerous". Anybody that listen to hat album knew it was good. Shoot! Anything that don't sell more than 10 mil in MJ world is a failure to the Media. I would not mind seeing it get re-released with some bonus tracks and maybe some video's if MJ had completed anything else besides "Rock My World". When the radio was playing cuts from it..people asked me "Where that song" come from and I told them..but that particular station always played Invincible slow jamz stuff since the album came out.

Ask any MJ fan what their favorite album is and most will name every album but "Thriller" lol. I find this interesting! Most say Off The Wall, Bad, or Dangerous. I think because "Thriller" had been dug into us for so long..we listened to the other albums and did not get stuck in the hoopla. I mean Thriller is great but I prefer "Dangerous" or "Bad to it.

This is just my opinion i don't like Invincible at all apart from a few songs i feel the album was rushed and not as much effort got put into it as the previous albums it doesn't have the MJ feel to it like his other albums do it just sounds too how should i put this uneffortless. Don't get me wrong Invincible did have some good songs on it but as i said before i feel the album was rushed abit

i mean i heard toure and others on these various documentaries say it.

i mean i can see how sales wize it could be considered a low point but musically is that album really a low point??

that album was really good..if anything the low point creatively in mike's career is blood on the dancefloor maybe....

but invincible had solid production and the songs where dope.

is it because it wasnt filled with "moonwalker" type songs or something?

anyway thats an album ill like to see go back to the charts like the others..

becuase it was shite?
It was bland.The only song that carried any weight from it was butterflies.
I listened to it the other day and,honestly,anyone could have been signing those songs.

It was bland.

I wasn't the man.

you give yourself away when you keep talking about an album. if the album sucked, it wouldn't be talked about, today. but it is one of the most talked about albums ever.

the reason why people say it's a low point is because they weren't the ones to make the album. MJ was, and media was envious of MJ continuing to make successful albums. he made too many of them. and it's human nature to try to bring someone down when they are too successful. if they made the album, they'd think it's great. if another artist made the album, they'd think it's great. much lesser albums have gotten rave reviews and sold less copies. most people have songwriters' block. MJ didn't. that made media envious.

Back