Official Aussie & NZ Thread

000cozzie000

Proud Member
133a24k9tourismaustrali.jpg

Do we really have camels walking on our beaches? :shifty:

And reghead121 is about to experience her first Aussie summer. How do we stop her from.... dying? :cheeky:

Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

OMG you really did just post that! LMAO! :D

Yes, I will need advice about this though. I am from the frozen beer tundra known as Wisconsin... the hottest it gets in Milwaukee in summer generally is in the low 90's F (like 32C or a tad warmer). Yes, I know...that's it. But to us it's really roasting at that temp! So I think come summer...I will fry... :bugeyed

Well for starters.. does your house have aircon? Because if it doesn't.. :bugeyed

The summers are getting hotter and hotter, so this year's just gonna be ugghhh

I lived in Mt Isa for 3 months..and god, walking out of an aircon building there was like standing in front of a car exhaust.

:rofl:

Awesome thread! and yeah there's a famous camel ride touristy thing over in Western Australia up in Broome. :yes:

oh and reg you're reaaalllly gonna feel the summer heat :lol: hot days are good for getting some mates over for a barbie and crackin out a few stubbies and stickin your feet in the esky :lol: especially if you've had a few too many chardies. :drunk:

Speaking of iconic aussie stuff... I'm going on a 14 day trip up the spine of our little island in Sept. We're starting in Melb and busin our way up to Adelaide then to Coober Pedy to stay underground one night and check out the Opal mines, then we'll be heading up to Uluru to see the big rock and Kings Canyon and then crossing over to the Alice. Then we'll be going right up to Tennett creek and the devil's marbles and from there we'll go to Katherine and Kakadu before finishing in Darwin I just can't wait!!!

So which state/ city are our aussies mates here from?

Okay you all are totally freaking me out about summer.... :bugeyed

Well... the people I'm staying with don't turn the air on until it's like 100F (37C)... Which means I'm GONNA ROAST. I have very long and thick hair...I may have to cut it to make it a little cooler on me (i'm going to seriously cry though). Yep, I'm living with pissheads so there will be plenty of beer and barbies going on. They have a pool...thank god...but have been telling me horror stories about how it gets to hot to even swim. :mello:

I'm getting my digs in while I can...teasing them about how it's not that cold right now. I still go for walks outside in t-shirts when it's like 10-12C out...just because it freaks them out LOL. (and because winter where I come from can be easily -6F (-21C). Come summer I'm going to get so much crap... must tease them while I still can....

You all have like 50 spf sunscreen here yeah? Because I'm also midwestern pale with freckles....and I don't really tan. Ever.

It feels like that cozzie? *cries*

LJ, your trip sounds really fab. Take tons of pics!

I'm in the Campbelltown/Bradbury area here, in NSW.

oh yeah if it gets super hot the pool doesn't really do well with coolin you down... especially if it's not shaded either.
If you're lucky the people you're living with will know how to keep their house coolish.

I don't use the aircon until it's predicted to be a scorcher (sorta like the 37C scenario)... and my mum can't handle the heat so we do things like cover the house windows to trap cold air in and hot air out. Appliances like the tellie and other heat producing stuff aren't allowed to go on until the cool change hits.... so those days if I want to go online I gotta charge the laptop and take it outside into the shade and use the wireless :lol:

Definately Slip, Slop, Slap :yes: we're right under the hole in the ozone :lol: so we burn easily.

I walk around in t-shirts all winter too :lol: I don't feel the cold so it's a great laugh watching everyone else stare LOL!

Damn.. I grew up in NZ and I used to be one of those "quit being a wuss, it's not cold!" people. Oh how things change. Now I have europeans come and tease me about feeling cold.

Reghead, yep it feels like that on the really hot days. Make sure you stock up on sunscreen, chapstick and zinc (skin coloured, for the love of god :p) because if you don't tan then you're going to get RED!

Ohhhh L.J I'm jealous. JEALOUS! I really wanna check out uluru and all these places you're going. Are you climbing up uluru?

And I'm in Geelong.. we have creepy statues on our beaches :unsure:

Geelong%20Beach.jpg

:rofl: aawww the bollard people :lol: ... check out the tits on that one nearest the camera.. :ermm: :lol:

I wont be climbing Uluru no :no: the local aboriginal groups have requested that the area remain sacred and treated as such and they're not too keen on folks climbing the rock so I'm going to respect their wishes in regards to that.

We came to Geelong for our snorkelling day trip this year... took 75 students to the safety beach in the background of that photo you posted cozzie and snorkelled around under the walkway before leaping over to the otherside and snorkelling around back to shore. Kids had a blast. Also did a 3 day trip over to Sorrento and Pt Nepean with snorkelling and moutain bike riding ^_^ (oh yeah... I love my job :D ).

So snaps of Pt Nepean (one side of the small entrance into Port Phillip bay (with Melbourne being the main port of call in the bay).

2657_76338175658_737370658_2819511_1474866_n.jpg

Remains of an old cattle jetty which was used by the old Quarantine that existed at Point Nepean..... oh yeah our beaches are beautiful ^_^

2657_76338405658_737370658_2819522_3755288_n.jpg

An Echidna! :D love these little guys ^_^

n737370658_2885394_8234943.jpg

Went out into the bay to Chinamen's Hut and went swimming with the seals... a totally awesome experience :D

lol @ this thread
im from brizzy and yes summer is so hot but u gotta love it :)
ur gonna have an awesome time reg, and dont worry about cutting ur long thick hair coz it sounds beautiful and all u need to do is put it in a high pony tail

Thanks Sharlene. Yeah, I will probably attempt to put it into buns, braids or ponytails and see how it goes.
It's over 1/2 of the way down my back so it can be a pain but it is really nice and I don't want to chop it unless I'm really miserable.
I wonder if my blonde will be super beach blonde by December...

Hey speaking of December.... Christmas is going to be ODD for me! No snow? no sleds? no snowmen? Can you still run around in a santa hat? Or would that be weird?

PS: since this is the Aussie thread....anyone try the "new' vegemite yet? Anyone else even LIKE the regular? All my friends thought I'd hate it but I LOVE IT. The new one isn't bad either...but I prefer the original because it's saltier.

Well first of all u need a AIR CON....wanna make that clear! :p
You will also need the beach...and of course US MJJC FANS!

Well first of all u need a AIR CON....wanna make that clear! :p
You will also need the beach...and of course US MJJC FANS!

LOL yeah definately getting on the air con bandwagon. My friends don't turn it on until it's like 37C... I'm going to have an problem with that! I told them to expect to see me dragging my own window air conditioner down the driveway and into the house! :bugeyed

Oh yeah beach for sure. I've been running around Bondi..Bronte..Tamarama...

Actually I'll tell you... I landed at Sydney International on May 1st, went through customs, got my bags, met my friends, got in the car - and went directly to Bondi, no stopping on the way! I just couldn't help myself... :D

It's beautiful, smells so oceany, all the sounds of the surf and I discovered they also have hot lifeguards :clapping:

You all should come up to Bondi in summer...how fun would that be, a bunch of MJJC members running around in the sand :D

Umm bondi is in sydney yeh??

if it is i wont be able to go.

A lot of fans from Australia seem to be from the Melbourne area...maybe I should think of this in reverse? Come summer, maybe I should jump on a train...if one goes all the way there. Any good beaches in the Melbourne area? :D

yeh there are some good beaches in melb...well i think there are lol

Well why dont u do a aussie road trip sort of thing?

Like go all over australia and meet all the mjjc fans , in each state :) ?

I wish I could, that would be so cool. Unfortunately I'm working odd jobs, saving extra money for school, so I can't spend it all. If I could only win the lottery!!

But I do know that my friends and I are doing a road trip this summer...albeit a small one. We are undecided. I want to see the 12 Apostles/southern coast... they want the Seaworld/Gold Coast. What do you all think?

What bout one day u go to southern coast, then the next day go 2 gold coast/seaworld. At least everyone will be happy :)

A lot of fans from Australia seem to be from the Melbourne area...maybe I should think of this in reverse? Come summer, maybe I should jump on a train...if one goes all the way there. Any good beaches in the Melbourne area? :D

I don't know about the Melbourne area, but here in Geelong we're 20 minutes away from the great ocean road.. one of the most beautiful drives in Australia! And yes you'll see the 12 apostles there.

There's a beach every 2 minutes, but it's cold.. bloody cold! Everytime we'd stop off at one of the beaches, 5 minutes later we'd all be running back to the car to get back to the heater :lol:

Same goes for the 12 apostles, we couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to see them properly because of the cold! And this was in summer :bugeyed

BUT.. if I had to choose between gold coast and great ocean road, I'd pick great ocean road. I'm not a big city person, and I love nature.

Oh and a tip.. do NOT go on a tour. Make sure you have a friend that can drive and rent a car. I went on one of the tours and OH MY GOD they don't shut up. Not for one second.

I wont be climbing Uluru no :no: the local aboriginal groups have requested that the area remain sacred and treated as such and they're not too keen on folks climbing the rock so I'm going to respect their wishes in regards to that.

You know I've heard about that, but some Japanese people that I lived with went to Uluru and climbed it, they didn't seem phased by it.

So do most Aussies respect the Aborigines' wishes? Because I've lived with heaps of international students and they didn't seem to care.

PS: since this is the Aussie thread....anyone try the "new' vegemite yet? Anyone else even LIKE the regular? All my friends thought I'd hate it but I LOVE IT. The new one isn't bad either...but I prefer the original because it's saltier.

Now that's impressive. Most people who haven't grown up with it hate it! I haven't tried the new one but I LOVE the old one. You know I've seen videos of Americans who bought some vegemite and spread it on dry toast like it was nutella! Ewwww....

You know I've heard about that, but some Japanese people that I lived with went to Uluru and climbed it, they didn't seem phased by it.

So do most Aussies respect the Aborigines' wishes? Because I've lived with heaps of international students and they didn't seem to care.

Now that's impressive. Most people who haven't grown up with it hate it! I haven't tried the new one but I LOVE the old one. You know I've seen videos of Americans who bought some vegemite and spread it on dry toast like it was nutella! Ewwww....

Yeah I heard about that too...that you aren't supposed to climb on Uluru any more. If I went I think I'd respect their wishes. Sort of like not walking on the indian burial grounds in the US maybe.

Yesssssss, I scoped out videos on youtube before I came here, and I saw that and thought, oh it will be gross. But they definately were putting too much on! My friends taught me right, so I didn't cake it on. They are corrupting me.... There are days now where I just CRAVE veggie on toast. I'm going to have to mail a box of the stuff back to the US.

I never even had Nutella until I got here. I know we don't have Veg in the US, maybe we have Nutella and I just never noticed. That stuff is really good as well.

Any other secret aussie foods I need to know about? lol

I'm sure there's a train from SYD to MEL but you could always grab a cheap flight down too. If you've got time and $$$ I'd reccommend driving it and checking out places along the way totally worth it.

As for good beaches down in VIC, yeap! If you go the East side of Melbourne you've got Sorrento and if you go the West side... head out to Geelong and check out Torquay or Anglesea.

But I do know that my friends and I are doing a road trip this summer...albeit a small one. We are undecided. I want to see the 12 Apostles/southern coast... they want the Seaworld/Gold Coast. What do you all think?

Summer road trip...
You'll need to work out whether you want to just go to the beach and some amusement parks.... or whether you want to see some great natural stuff.

I did the Great Ocean Road at the end of last summer... totally reccommend it.

We did a 4 day trip on the Great Ocean Road and we tented it. Stayed in a Apollo Bay and a place called Laver's Hill which is like 30 minutes out of Apollo Bay.
The beach at Apollo bay is awesome, we also went to the Otway Ranges and did the tree-top walk (Beautiful!!) We camped under koalas in the Otway's one night as well. Went and saw the apostles, also check out the glow worms one night in the Melb Gully forest (2 minutes from Laver's Hill).
The road is incredible and there's so much stuff to do and great places to eat along the way as well.

There's a beach every 2 minutes, but it's cold.. bloody cold! Everytime we'd stop off at one of the beaches, 5 minutes later we'd all be running back to the car to get back to the heater :lol:

Same goes for the 12 apostles, we couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to see them properly because of the cold! And this was in summer :bugeyed

BUT.. if I had to choose between gold coast and great ocean road, I'd pick great ocean road. I'm not a big city person, and I love nature.

Oh and a tip.. do NOT go on a tour. Make sure you have a friend that can drive and rent a car. I went on one of the tours and OH MY GOD they don't shut up. Not for one second.

OH you big WUSS..... it's not cold whatchu talkin bout willis? :lol: I spent the whole afternoon swimming in Apollo Bay.

Torquay (and more specifically Jan Juc) is probably the most visited beach for me.

But I agree Don't do a tour... waste of money... if you stop at most of the popular spots there's a bucketload of information. (for example at the start of the road there's all the information that explains how the Great Ocean Road was built by returning veterans from the great war.

Last edited:

OH you big WUSS..... it's not cold whatchu talkin bout willis? :lol: I spent the whole afternoon swimming in Apollo Bay.

Torquay (and more specifically Jan Juc) is probably the most visited beach for me.

Don't even get me started lady! :lol: Don't blame me, I've been a QLD'er for the past 6 years... I'm used to car exhaust weather!

And actually while I was freezing on the great ocean road, there were people SURFING! Arghhhhh

At least they were good eye candy :innocent:

But I agree Don't do a tour... waste of money... if you stop at most of the popular spots there's a bucketload of information. (for example at the start of the road there's all the information that explains how the Great Ocean Road was built by returning veterans from the great war.

Waste of money and they quite literally don't shut up.

"there was a fella that lived here called Brad, he married Mary in 1926 and bought a cattle farm......"

:doh:

Any other secret aussie foods I need to know about? lol

Well we can't forget about Timtams of course. If you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it! Bite the 2 ends off a timtam and use it as a straw to suck up hot coffee.. yum yum yummm.

And yes, I'm quite proud of how sexual my explanation ended up sounding :cheeky:

Summer road trip...
You'll need to work out whether you want to just go to the beach and some amusement parks.... or whether you want to see some great natural stuff.

I did the Great Ocean Road at the end of last summer... totally reccommend it.

We did a 4 day trip on the Great Ocean Road and we tented it. Stayed in a Apollo Bay and a place called Laver's Hill which is like 30 minutes out of Apollo Bay.
The beach at Apollo bay is awesome, we also went to the Otway Ranges and did the tree-top walk (Beautiful!!) We camped under koalas in the Otway's one night as well. Went and saw the apostles, also check out the glow worms one night in the Melb Gully forest (2 minutes from Laver's Hill).
The road is incredible and there's so much stuff to do and great places to eat along the way as well.

Yeah exactly, we just aren't all in agreement yet whether to do all natural sites or amusement type stuff as well.

Your 4 day trip sounds excellent! I am going to have to read this to them...as a way to puff up my side of the arguement! ;D

Last weekend we did a little day trip to Kiama and it was a really great little town right on the coast. We had fish and chips, saw a lighthouse, went to a fair.... Was really nice.
A pic I took from there: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1929354&l=2f5c6d9b54&id=625934420

Well we can't forget about Timtams of course. If you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it! Bite the 2 ends off a timtam and use it as a straw to suck up hot coffee.. yum yum yummm.

And yes, I'm quite proud of how sexual my explanation ended up sounding :cheeky:

I haven't had one yet but I definately know about them. I was in the store a few weeks ago looking for Graham Crackers (which I now know you all don't have here...) and my friend was down the isle a little ways helping me look. She then shouts to me down the isle...you had a timtam yet?

And me...friggin' American that I am...shouted back... What's a timtam?? :mello:

Like FIVE random people in the isle all stopped and looked at me!!! I was like.... WHAT? lol :bugeyed

Then two of those random people went on to tell me how good they are, how to eat them, and to make sure I try them. So yeah.. I know about them lol.

Well done on turning the chocolate treat into a sexual reference haha :swoon:

I haven't had one yet but I definately know about them. I was in the store a few weeks ago looking for Graham Crackers (which I now know you all don't have here...) and my friend was down the isle a little ways helping me look. She then shouts to me down the isle...you had a timtam yet?

And me...friggin' American that I am...shouted back... What's a timtam?? :mello:

Like FIVE random people in the isle all stopped and looked at me!!! I was like.... WHAT? lol :bugeyed

Then two of those random people went on to tell me how good they are, how to eat them, and to make sure I try them. So yeah.. I know about them lol.

Well done on turning the chocolate treat into a sexual reference haha :swoon:

LMAO.. well if I was in that isle I would have done the exact same thing :lol: that's like me going to the states and asking "what's a twinkie?".. I'm sure I'd get the same reaction :bugeyed

Well you've GOT to try them. I recommend the "double coat' tim tams. They're exactly the same as the original timtams but with a better coating of chocolate around the outside mmmm

And actually the double coat ones hold together better when you do the... orgasm.

I'll stop :cheeky:

LMAO.. well if I was in that isle I would have done the exact same thing :lol: that's like me going to the states and asking "what's a twinkie?".. I'm sure I'd get the same reaction :bugeyed

Well you've GOT to try them. I recommend the "double coat' tim tams. They're exactly the same as the original timtams but with a better coating of chocolate around the outside mmmm

And actually the double coat ones hold together better when you do the... orgasm.

I'll stop :cheeky:

Good point, you probably would get the same reaction lol.

Note to self: Get double coated Timtams at store tommorrow.... :clapping:

And nice to see you are sticking to the sexual references lol. I've now got the giggles and am about to sit down with my friends for dinner. They are going to wonder what my malfunction is this time.... :tease:

:rollin: oh you totally gotta go a TimTam (super popular in Dutyfree with people leaving Aus).

Other great Aussie foods you gotta have a go at are:

Lamingtons mmmmm
If there's a fergeson plarre in NSW... get yourself a meat pie ^_^
Get yourself a piece of Pavlova!! oh yum!!

At a barbie be sure to try marinated kangaroo if it's on offer
Get yourself some homemade ANZAC bikkies... or I like the Dick Smith ones if you're going store bought.

First of all i wanna say bout the vegmite.....ewwwww :puke:
and bout the nutella...YUMMO! :) i havent had that in ages though

you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it

UMMMM what the?? :blink: :lol: timtam orgasm...that a first i 've ever heard of that!

yes, we really DO have camels on the beaches. Just not all beaches :p

Back