Page 2 of 615 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 9215

Thread: Official Aussie & NZ Thread

   
  1. #16
    Points: 15,896, Level: 81
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Australia and Missouri ♥
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    81
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    I wish I could, that would be so cool. Unfortunately I'm working odd jobs, saving extra money for school, so I can't spend it all. If I could only win the lottery!!

    But I do know that my friends and I are doing a road trip this summer...albeit a small one. We are undecided. I want to see the 12 Apostles/southern coast... they want the Seaworld/Gold Coast. What do you all think?

  2. #17
    Points: 59,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    20,976
    Points
    59,178
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,368 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    What bout one day u go to southern coast, then the next day go 2 gold coast/seaworld. At least everyone will be happy

  3. #18
    Points: 12,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    12,615
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reghead121 View Post
    A lot of fans from Australia seem to be from the Melbourne area...maybe I should think of this in reverse? Come summer, maybe I should jump on a train...if one goes all the way there. Any good beaches in the Melbourne area?
    I don't know about the Melbourne area, but here in Geelong we're 20 minutes away from the great ocean road.. one of the most beautiful drives in Australia! And yes you'll see the 12 apostles there.

    There's a beach every 2 minutes, but it's cold.. bloody cold! Everytime we'd stop off at one of the beaches, 5 minutes later we'd all be running back to the car to get back to the heater :lol:

    Same goes for the 12 apostles, we couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to see them properly because of the cold! And this was in summer :bugeyed

    BUT.. if I had to choose between gold coast and great ocean road, I'd pick great ocean road. I'm not a big city person, and I love nature.

    Oh and a tip.. do NOT go on a tour. Make sure you have a friend that can drive and rent a car. I went on one of the tours and OH MY GOD they don't shut up. Not for one second.

    -Cozzie

  4. #19
    Points: 12,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    12,615
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by L.J View Post
    I wont be climbing Uluru no the local aboriginal groups have requested that the area remain sacred and treated as such and they're not too keen on folks climbing the rock so I'm going to respect their wishes in regards to that.
    You know I've heard about that, but some Japanese people that I lived with went to Uluru and climbed it, they didn't seem phased by it.

    So do most Aussies respect the Aborigines' wishes? Because I've lived with heaps of international students and they didn't seem to care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reghead121 View Post
    PS: since this is the Aussie thread....anyone try the "new' vegemite yet? Anyone else even LIKE the regular? All my friends thought I'd hate it but I LOVE IT. The new one isn't bad either...but I prefer the original because it's saltier.
    Now that's impressive. Most people who haven't grown up with it hate it! I haven't tried the new one but I LOVE the old one. You know I've seen videos of Americans who bought some vegemite and spread it on dry toast like it was nutella! Ewwww....

    -Cozzie

  5. #20
    Points: 15,896, Level: 81
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Australia and Missouri ♥
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    81
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 000cozzie000 View Post
    You know I've heard about that, but some Japanese people that I lived with went to Uluru and climbed it, they didn't seem phased by it.

    So do most Aussies respect the Aborigines' wishes? Because I've lived with heaps of international students and they didn't seem to care.



    Now that's impressive. Most people who haven't grown up with it hate it! I haven't tried the new one but I LOVE the old one. You know I've seen videos of Americans who bought some vegemite and spread it on dry toast like it was nutella! Ewwww....
    Yeah I heard about that too...that you aren't supposed to climb on Uluru any more. If I went I think I'd respect their wishes. Sort of like not walking on the indian burial grounds in the US maybe.

    Yesssssss, I scoped out videos on youtube before I came here, and I saw that and thought, oh it will be gross. But they definately were putting too much on! My friends taught me right, so I didn't cake it on. They are corrupting me.... There are days now where I just CRAVE veggie on toast. I'm going to have to mail a box of the stuff back to the US.

    I never even had Nutella until I got here. I know we don't have Veg in the US, maybe we have Nutella and I just never noticed. That stuff is really good as well.

    Any other secret aussie foods I need to know about? lol

  6. #21
    Points: 58,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    16,236
    Points
    58,044
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reghead121 View Post
    A lot of fans from Australia seem to be from the Melbourne area...maybe I should think of this in reverse? Come summer, maybe I should jump on a train...if one goes all the way there. Any good beaches in the Melbourne area?
    I'm sure there's a train from SYD to MEL but you could always grab a cheap flight down too. If you've got time and $$$ I'd reccommend driving it and checking out places along the way totally worth it.

    As for good beaches down in VIC, yeap! If you go the East side of Melbourne you've got Sorrento and if you go the West side... head out to Geelong and check out Torquay or Anglesea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reghead121 View Post
    But I do know that my friends and I are doing a road trip this summer...albeit a small one. We are undecided. I want to see the 12 Apostles/southern coast... they want the Seaworld/Gold Coast. What do you all think?
    Summer road trip...
    You'll need to work out whether you want to just go to the beach and some amusement parks.... or whether you want to see some great natural stuff.

    I did the Great Ocean Road at the end of last summer... totally reccommend it.


    We did a 4 day trip on the Great Ocean Road and we tented it. Stayed in a Apollo Bay and a place called Laver's Hill which is like 30 minutes out of Apollo Bay.
    The beach at Apollo bay is awesome, we also went to the Otway Ranges and did the tree-top walk (Beautiful!!) We camped under koalas in the Otway's one night as well. Went and saw the apostles, also check out the glow worms one night in the Melb Gully forest (2 minutes from Laver's Hill).
    The road is incredible and there's so much stuff to do and great places to eat along the way as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by 000cozzie000 View Post
    There's a beach every 2 minutes, but it's cold.. bloody cold! Everytime we'd stop off at one of the beaches, 5 minutes later we'd all be running back to the car to get back to the heater :lol:

    Same goes for the 12 apostles, we couldn't keep our eyes open long enough to see them properly because of the cold! And this was in summer :bugeyed

    BUT.. if I had to choose between gold coast and great ocean road, I'd pick great ocean road. I'm not a big city person, and I love nature.

    Oh and a tip.. do NOT go on a tour. Make sure you have a friend that can drive and rent a car. I went on one of the tours and OH MY GOD they don't shut up. Not for one second.
    OH you big WUSS..... it's not cold whatchu talkin bout willis? :lol: I spent the whole afternoon swimming in Apollo Bay.

    Torquay (and more specifically Jan Juc) is probably the most visited beach for me.

    But I agree Don't do a tour... waste of money... if you stop at most of the popular spots there's a bucketload of information. (for example at the start of the road there's all the information that explains how the Great Ocean Road was built by returning veterans from the great war.
    Last edited by L.J; 23-07-2009 at 05:14 AM.
    From the highest tower, I will call you home
    It's the same old story, love will find it's own


    looking for me? please click here --> =D or here --> =)

  7. #22
    Points: 12,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    12,615
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by L.J View Post
    OH you big WUSS..... it's not cold whatchu talkin bout willis? :lol: I spent the whole afternoon swimming in Apollo Bay.

    Torquay (and more specifically Jan Juc) is probably the most visited beach for me.
    Don't even get me started lady! :lol: Don't blame me, I've been a QLD'er for the past 6 years... I'm used to car exhaust weather!

    And actually while I was freezing on the great ocean road, there were people SURFING! Arghhhhh

    At least they were good eye candy

    But I agree Don't do a tour... waste of money... if you stop at most of the popular spots there's a bucketload of information. (for example at the start of the road there's all the information that explains how the Great Ocean Road was built by returning veterans from the great war.
    Waste of money and they quite literally don't shut up.

    "there was a fella that lived here called Brad, he married Mary in 1926 and bought a cattle farm......"



    Any other secret aussie foods I need to know about? lol
    Well we can't forget about Timtams of course. If you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it! Bite the 2 ends off a timtam and use it as a straw to suck up hot coffee.. yum yum yummm.

    And yes, I'm quite proud of how sexual my explanation ended up sounding :cheeky:

    -Cozzie

  8. #23
    Points: 15,896, Level: 81
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Australia and Missouri ♥
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    81
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by L.J View Post

    Summer road trip...
    You'll need to work out whether you want to just go to the beach and some amusement parks.... or whether you want to see some great natural stuff.

    I did the Great Ocean Road at the end of last summer... totally reccommend it.

    We did a 4 day trip on the Great Ocean Road and we tented it. Stayed in a Apollo Bay and a place called Laver's Hill which is like 30 minutes out of Apollo Bay.
    The beach at Apollo bay is awesome, we also went to the Otway Ranges and did the tree-top walk (Beautiful!!) We camped under koalas in the Otway's one night as well. Went and saw the apostles, also check out the glow worms one night in the Melb Gully forest (2 minutes from Laver's Hill).
    The road is incredible and there's so much stuff to do and great places to eat along the way as well.
    Yeah exactly, we just aren't all in agreement yet whether to do all natural sites or amusement type stuff as well.

    Your 4 day trip sounds excellent! I am going to have to read this to them...as a way to puff up my side of the arguement! ;D

    Last weekend we did a little day trip to Kiama and it was a really great little town right on the coast. We had fish and chips, saw a lighthouse, went to a fair.... Was really nice.
    A pic I took from there: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=625934420

  9. #24
    Points: 15,896, Level: 81
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Australia and Missouri ♥
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    81
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 000cozzie000 View Post

    Well we can't forget about Timtams of course. If you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it! Bite the 2 ends off a timtam and use it as a straw to suck up hot coffee.. yum yum yummm.

    And yes, I'm quite proud of how sexual my explanation ended up sounding :cheeky:
    I haven't had one yet but I definately know about them. I was in the store a few weeks ago looking for Graham Crackers (which I now know you all don't have here...) and my friend was down the isle a little ways helping me look. She then shouts to me down the isle...you had a timtam yet?

    And me...friggin' American that I am...shouted back... What's a timtam?? :mello:

    Like FIVE random people in the isle all stopped and looked at me!!! I was like.... WHAT? lol :bugeyed

    Then two of those random people went on to tell me how good they are, how to eat them, and to make sure I try them. So yeah.. I know about them lol.

    Well done on turning the chocolate treat into a sexual reference haha :swoon:

  10. #25
    Points: 12,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    12,615
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reghead121 View Post
    I haven't had one yet but I definately know about them. I was in the store a few weeks ago looking for Graham Crackers (which I now know you all don't have here...) and my friend was down the isle a little ways helping me look. She then shouts to me down the isle...you had a timtam yet?

    And me...friggin' American that I am...shouted back... What's a timtam?? :mello:

    Like FIVE random people in the isle all stopped and looked at me!!! I was like.... WHAT? lol :bugeyed

    Then two of those random people went on to tell me how good they are, how to eat them, and to make sure I try them. So yeah.. I know about them lol.

    Well done on turning the chocolate treat into a sexual reference haha :swoon:
    LMAO.. well if I was in that isle I would have done the exact same thing :lol: that's like me going to the states and asking "what's a twinkie?".. I'm sure I'd get the same reaction :bugeyed

    Well you've GOT to try them. I recommend the "double coat' tim tams. They're exactly the same as the original timtams but with a better coating of chocolate around the outside mmmm

    And actually the double coat ones hold together better when you do the... orgasm.

    I'll stop :cheeky:

    -Cozzie

  11. #26
    Points: 15,896, Level: 81
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Australia and Missouri ♥
    Posts
    3,453
    Points
    15,896
    Level
    81
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 000cozzie000 View Post
    LMAO.. well if I was in that isle I would have done the exact same thing :lol: that's like me going to the states and asking "what's a twinkie?".. I'm sure I'd get the same reaction :bugeyed

    Well you've GOT to try them. I recommend the "double coat' tim tams. They're exactly the same as the original timtams but with a better coating of chocolate around the outside mmmm

    And actually the double coat ones hold together better when you do the... orgasm.

    I'll stop :cheeky:
    Good point, you probably would get the same reaction lol.

    Note to self: Get double coated Timtams at store tommorrow....

    And nice to see you are sticking to the sexual references lol. I've now got the giggles and am about to sit down with my friends for dinner. They are going to wonder what my malfunction is this time....

  12. #27
    Points: 58,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    16,236
    Points
    58,044
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    oh you totally gotta go a TimTam (super popular in Dutyfree with people leaving Aus).

    Other great Aussie foods you gotta have a go at are:

    Lamingtons mmmmm
    If there's a fergeson plarre in NSW... get yourself a meat pie ^_^
    Get yourself a piece of Pavlova!! oh yum!!

    At a barbie be sure to try marinated kangaroo if it's on offer
    Get yourself some homemade ANZAC bikkies... or I like the Dick Smith ones if you're going store bought.
    From the highest tower, I will call you home
    It's the same old story, love will find it's own


    looking for me? please click here --> =D or here --> =)

  13. #28
    Points: 59,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    20,976
    Points
    59,178
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,368 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    First of all i wanna say bout the vegmite.....ewwwww
    and bout the nutella...YUMMO! i havent had that in ages though

    you haven't had your first "timtam orgasm" yet, then get onto it




    UMMMM what the?? :blink: :lol: timtam orgasm...that a first i 've ever heard of that!

  14. #29
    Points: 12,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,193
    Points
    12,615
    Level
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    Quote Originally Posted by L.J View Post
    Get yourself a piece of Pavlova!! oh yum!!
    HOLD UP!

    I'm kiwi and you know we'll go to war over who invented the pavlova.

    I'll let you have Russell Crowe if you let us claim the pavlova! :lol:

    -Cozzie

  15. #30
    Points: 1,429, Level: 21
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    432
    Points
    1,429
    Level
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: AUSSIES! Get in here!

    yes, we really DO have camels on the beaches. Just not all beaches :P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •