What is the story behind Michael's driving?

ItsALLforLOVE

Proud Member
I saw this ticket for sale on eBay and then I remember Speed Demon was about his driving skills? or not. Did Michael drive around on his own or ?

http://tiny.cc/DGf8V

I know he said he used to drive around at night looking for someone to talk to. I would love to hear your stories...

I believe his mother taught him how to drive back then, but he was never very good at it. I suspect that shortly after this ticket he started being driven around since this was what?? Only a few months after Thriller was released...

ETA: I'm so amused that this ticket is actually up for sale on ebay..

I believe his mother taught him how to drive back then, but he was never very good at it. I suspect that shortly after this ticket he started being driven around since this was what?? Only a few months after Thriller was released...

ETA: I'm so amused that this ticket is actually up for sale on ebay..

Well, it seemed to be the highlight of the officer's life. He took it home and framed it. LOL!

10 hours to go and his 2000$ is not matched.. o hay no one gives a shizz officer!

love mike's sig on it, quite a huge f you :lol:

That ticket is so cool!!! Hahahaha I wonder what Michael do??? Loving his signature!

According to the ticket he had an expired registration and a defective right real tail light.

wowww he drove around lol probably not very often, but when he did, he gets tickets lol

Michael did learn to drive and he has spoken about driving before. I think he was nervous about his car breaking down and him not being able to get away from fans if they spotted him.

Didn't he say he was driving his car when he got the idea for Billie Jean?

I read a book a few weeks ago, by Lee McLaren and it's called 'Portrait of a megastar - the boundaries passed'.
It has a part where it says that Michael was driving a car when he just got his license (think it was around or before Off The Wall) and was stopped by a policeman. He stopped him because he was black, and he looked too young to drive. Michael reacted really calmly and just showed his drivers license while the policeman was really racist, and he still wasn't allowed to drive further or something, don't really remember what it exactly was.

Does anyone know if this is true?:scratch:

Here is a paragraph (inc quote from Patti Austin) from a book by Todd Gold released in the late 80's:

'Occasionally even the most mundane tasks caused him to act with uncertainty. For instance Austin once caught him walking up the street to a party at Quincy Jones' Bel Air home. "He had parked his car a block away because he didn't think he could manoeuvre it into the gates of the house", she laughs. So he parked his Rolls on the streets of Bel Air. She told him to hand over the keys. Michael looked bewildered 'I know you think you're in Bel Air and everything is going to be OK, but people whip around these corners at ninety miles and hour in their Porches, let me move the care for you. Michael said OK. She returned laughing "If you don't think you can get it through the gates of the house, what in the world are you doing driving such an enormous boat of a car?" Michael rolled his eyes and smiled sheepishly "Oh, Patti" he sighed.

The book also claims that Michael got the idea for Billie Jean while 'driving down Ventura Boulevard in his Rolls'.

It's true about Billie Jean. Damn near cost him his life too.
One of the back tires had caught fire, but he was so into Billie Jean he didn't notice till someone flagged him to pull over and said his car was on fire.

Didn't Mike get his license quite late, he was in his 20's .. 23 or something I think it was in Katherine's book. Mike didn't want to get his license but his parents told him that he must because there can't always be somebody to drive him places.
I'm reading David Gest's book and he wrote that whenever they were driving in David's car (a Mercedes) and it needed gas, David always asked Michael to pump the gas. And Mike would say "but I'm the star" :D
Michael wrote about his driving in Moonwalk too.

Didn't Mike get his license quite late, he was in his 20's .. 23 or something I think it was in Katherine's book. Mike didn't want to get his license but his parents told him that he must because there can't always be somebody to drive him places.
I'm reading David Gest's book and he wrote that whenever they were driving in David's car (a Mercedes) and it needed gas, David always asked Michael to pump the gas. And Mike would say "but I'm the star" :D
Michael wrote about his driving in Moonwalk too.

Bit like the time he expected Eddie Murphy to change the microphone hight for him while presenting at an awards ceremony. So funny.

Here is a paragraph (inc quote from Patti Austin) from a book by Todd Gold released in the late 80's:

'Occasionally even the most mundane tasks caused him to act with uncertainty. For instance Austin once caught him walking up the street to a party at Quincy Jones' Bel Air home. "He had parked his car a block away because he didn't think he could manoeuvre it into the gates of the house", she laughs. So he parked his Rolls on the streets of Bel Air. She told him to hand over the keys. Michael looked bewildered 'I know you think you're in Bel Air and everything is going to be OK, but people whip around these corners at ninety miles and hour in their Porches, let me move the care for you. Michael said OK. She returned laughing "If you don't think you can get it through the gates of the house, what in the world are you doing driving such an enormous boat of a car?" Michael rolled his eyes and smiled sheepishly "Oh, Patti" he sighed.

The book also claims that Michael got the idea for Billie Jean while 'driving down Ventura Boulevard in his Rolls'.
Thanks for this! :lol:
Makes me feel better about how paranoid I am about driving!

There's also a story about how Michael volunteered to drive Mickey Free home in 1981 (from the Taraborrelli book):

"When they got to Mickey's apartment building about 15 minutes later, Michael drove around the block a few times before sheepishly confessing, 'You know what? I can drive this thing, but I don't know how to parallel park it. Can you park for me?' Michael stopped the car in the middle of the road and the two traded seats."

:doh::lol:

Thanks for this! :lol:
Makes me feel better about how paranoid I am about driving!

There's also a story about how Michael volunteered to drive Mickey Free home in 1981 (from the Taraborrelli book):

"When they got to Mickey's apartment building about 15 minutes later, Michael drove around the block a few times before sheepishly confessing, 'You know what? I can drive this thing, but I don't know how to parallel park it. Can you park for me?' Michael stopped the car in the middle of the road and the two traded seats."

:doh::lol:

Sounds about right for Michael :D

Hearing these stories makes me not want to get into a car with Mike. LOL! The second I saw the ticket on EBay, my mind went straight to Moonwalker. "Mike, Mike, Michael Jackson!" I'm 22 and I still don't have my license. Driving scares the heck outta me :)

"Black, 1976 Rolls Royce, which didn't have a current registration tag, it showed expired in Jan 1983. I also noticed that the right rear tail light was inoperative. I pulled the car over to issue the driver a citation for the violations. While I was writing him the ticket I checked his drivers license status and was informed that he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, which was for a previous ticket that he had received and failed to take care of. I arrested him for the outstanding warrant and transported him to the police station. While he was at the police station he posted bail and was processed and released."

*shakes head at Michael* :) :) :)

Last edited:
There are some really good stories in the earlier books written about him. Like how he would freak out when Pam Grier was around (she was the then girlfriend of someone he worked in the studio with)

Pam Grier like from The L Word Pam Grier? Was in the Mod Squad I think? Or Shaft? Lol. I only know her from The L Word. Oh man, mental picture of Applehead sitting down watching that show. Ha-ha!

awww thanks for sharing that.. we are so much alike lol I dont like to drive either really

:D

mikecar.jpg

and by the way, i just remembered, the guard at Neverland (Curtis) once told me that Michael loved riding bikes. he told us how Michael would put a black helmet on and ride around Neverland, and he used to ride on the Figueroa Mt. road as well, and several times he'd pass the fans standing in front of the gates and wave at them, without the fans knowing it was him.

Back