What is a godmother/godfather?

ddmff

Proud Member
What exactly is the role of a godmother/godfather?It does not seem legally binding. Is it a term to show how close friends are to the family? Someone please clear this up for me if you can. I hear this term associted with Mj and his kids a lot.

Thanks in advance

Well I am a godmother to a little girl. It is usually a christian thing where you agree to help to teach the child about god. However normally it is less about that, in my experience but if something were to happen to the parents, the godparents would take responsibility in trying to help raise the kids or at least look out for them. It isn't really legally binding

now a days its nothing more than a show name imo. means very little in a non religious country. especially when ppl get their kids christened yet have never even set foot in a church

I have 2 Godmothers and 1 Godfather. 1 Godmother is a cousin who I see like once a year and don't maintain contact with, despite living in the same village! My other Godmother was a friend of my mother, I grew up with her daughter and we were close but I haven't seen or spoken to her for about...5/6 years. My Godfather is my uncle (my mums brother) and he is the one I see most.

You get them when you are Christened...so were Michael's children Christened and are christian or more specifically catholic?

They are present at the Christening or Baptism of a baby and promise to help raise the child in a Christian manner. They also are called to be present at Confirmation.

I think they were supposed to care for you if your parents die - but it never happens now.

Their role is simply to be there for the children really.

But as Elusive says, nowadays its just a title parents give to one of their friends, and other than being a witness for the christening or baptism.. and possibly confirmation they do basically nothing else.

I have been called a 'Godmother' though we have never been through the actual process for me to become one. My best friend's son, and her newest son expected in November, call me 'Aunt Casey' and Amber considers me to be their God Mother. I am also written in their will as the one who would take custody of the children if something were to happen to her and her husband. To me the term is just very endearing and shows how much she loves and trusts me, enough that if something were to happen to her and her husband she would leave to me her most valued things in her life, her babies.

iam godfather to 2 and iam not sure wat iam suppose to do either lol.
but just make sure they are ok and send them expensive gifts now and then and there fine.
joint-1.gif

i have godmother :yes: i didn't see her along time :yes: :( but one time i was at mall my godfather saw me :yes: :) :D
my god name is i don't how to write it down but is name somehow :yes: :)

Back