Scared of becoming obsessed by Janet?

MichaelMySoul

Proud Member
I have this weird thing for Janet.. Im not a fan of hers.. Or.. Ive tried not to be, at least not a big fan as with Michael.. Im sort scared I'll become obsessed of her as I am with Michael.. I love her songs, on a distance.. I really admire her as an individual but also as Michaels sibling..

Whenever I rarely put on her songs its when I realise how much alike she and Michael were, they possess the same type of sadness in their vocals and melodies and they express the same type of sex appeal and happiness in their songs. Whenever I listen to Janet I go 'wow, thats so michael'.. Ive sort of stopped myself from not becoming a real fan and collect her albums (the only thing I own is Control) because Im afraid I wouldnt be able to stop myself from collecting and listening and obsessing and observing.. Im so mesmerized by Janet Jackson.. I can imagine her having an equally big fanbase as Michael has..

She is amazing.. God forbid I become obsessed with her, being obsessed with one Jackson takes enough space and time... Anyone else feel the same as I do?

I can so relate to her songs and her emotions in the songs. Its astonishing how she and Michael are so much alike. The could be twins instead of siblings.

As a man I can admire the fact that Janet is beautiful, I can admire that she has the sincerity in her voice, I can kind of giggle at her naughty side, and I like some of her songs.

However for me, Janet can never become to me what Michael was, because Michael raised me.
I know that sounds weird, but I think many of us who have been MJ fans since we were kids can look at ourselves and be like "yeah, I definitely got this and that from Michael."

Just relax and enjoy the music! I was introduced to Janet through Michael first (for me it was Bad -> Rhythm Nation). Though I love her music and have all her albums, Michael is still number one for me. You can enjoy her performances without it taking over your life, don't worry :cheeky:

I don't really care much for Janet (some of her songs are good), but if you do, then just give in, stop feeling guilty and enjoy it, is my opinion. :) What's so wrong with a little obsession...?

I have this weird thing for Janet.. Im not a fan of hers.. Or.. Ive tried not to be, at least not a big fan as with Michael.. Im sort scared I'll become obsessed of her as I am with Michael.. I love her songs, on a distance.. I really admire her as an individual but also as Michaels sibling..

Whenever I rarely put on her songs its when I realise how much alike she and Michael were, they possess the same type of sadness in their vocals and melodies and they express the same type of sex appeal and happiness in their songs. Whenever I listen to Janet I go 'wow, thats so michael'.. Ive sort of stopped myself from not becoming a real fan and collect her albums (the only thing I own is Control) because Im afraid I wouldnt be able to stop myself from collecting and listening and obsessing and observing.. Im so mesmerized by Janet Jackson.. I can imagine her having an equally big fanbase as Michael has..

She is amazing.. God forbid I become obsessed with her, being obsessed with one Jackson takes enough space and time... Anyone else feel the same as I do?

I can so relate to her songs and her emotions in the songs. Its astonishing how she and Michael are so much alike. The could be twins instead of siblings.
If it makes you happy, don't question it - go for it.

As a man I can admire the fact that Janet is beautiful, I can admire that she has the sincerity in her voice, I can kind of giggle at her naughty side, and I like some of her songs.

However for me, Janet can never become to me what Michael was, because Michael raised me.
I know that sounds weird, but I think many of us who have been MJ fans since we were kids can look at ourselves and be like "yeah, I definitely got this and that from Michael."

Same for me.

You are thinking too much. too much judgment of a thing and you'll never enjoy it. In your mind you make pure paradise, pure hell. Only in non-judgement can you really enjoy anything. I'm quite sure Michael would be sad that you've never enjoyed his sisters music.

Janet was my only female hero when i was 11-14 y.o. i was introduced to Michael first but soon after, during the janet. era i discovered Janet and became obsessed with her too. i loved that album and all the videos, i wanted to be like Janet as much as i wanted to be like Michael. but in terms of musical talent there's been no comparison for me, i actually stopped following her career since All For You [2001].

anyway, there's nothing wrong with being obsessed with Janet, it shouldn't cause any harm to you lol just try to keep some balance :)

Personally, I have ALL her albums, and at one time I did start to collect her singles, but then I stopped. I don't have a collection of her stuff persay, but I think that buying her albums would at least be worth it.

My favorite albums are Rhythm Nation and Control. Be prepared for some freaky/sexy songs though.

I don't really care much for Janet (some of her songs are good), but if you do, then just give in, stop feeling guilty and enjoy it, is my opinion. :) What's so wrong with a little obsession...?

obsession is great. hehee

i did like her Janet. album alot. i listened to that album hours and hours, and thought she looked at her best. but even though they both had similarities, i never leeched on to her like with Michael. Im stuck on him like butter on toast.

Ive noticed lately that many Michael Jackson fans has "turned to" Janet. You can see a clear pattern on youtube for instance.
They see similarites and are seeking comfort in her/her music because she resemblance Michael so much. I do think more and more Michael Jackson fan will root for her much more now..

Last edited:
um... don't think anymore~~
just relax and enjoy it^^
but you know, they are different

Um wow.

Do you love Janet for Janet or because she holds a few qualities that are similar to MJ?

I have nothing against Janet but she can never replace MJ for me. In fact my favorite sister is Rebbie.My favorive Janet album though is Rythm Nation but since Rythm Nation it has not really been my kind of music. Nobody can ever replace MJ for me, but ever since the funeral there is one little girl I really admire and that is Paris. I think it was just so very brave what she did. She deserves all respect for that. But if you like Janet and it makes you happy to listen to her music then there is no reason to feel guilty about it. Just listen to her :).

Last edited:
Let it happen! Theres no harm done. As long as it doesnt take over your entire life.

Rhythm Nation 1814....

One of the best albums I have EVER heard!

EVER!!

Janet.

The Velvet Rope.

Miss Janet can get in ya deep.

Don't worry about getting obsessed, just enjoy the music ;)

I really liked Janet in the 90s and my favorite album is Velvet Rope, I actually like every song on it. I really should learn more about Janet, but I have always been too caught up with Michael :wub:

Ok, I just read your post thoroughly and my advice to you is just to take it slow. I agree, that MJ and Janet both hold this quality that attracts so many people to the extent one can become obsessive. But when listening to Janet's music or watching her performances I don't hear nor see MJ. I just see Janet! and I don't think it's fair to Janet to leech on to her because she reminds you of MJ. Janet is an artist in her own right! and also I've been noticing that A LOT of MJ fans are now recognizing Janet's talent which I find quite sad that it had to take the death of her brother
but better late than never, right? :lol:

I love her "Janet" album..

my all-time fave songs of hers are Again and IF...

i really like Rock with you, Rhytmn Nation, I get Lonely and Everytime too..

Just enjoy yourself, don't think too hard about it. I have been a Janet fan all of my life and though I always felt MJ was the most talented entertainer to ever rock this earth, as a female I always related to Janet better. She also is just very grounded. Janet is very sweet like MJ, and very talented, and she shares a lot of his personality. For instance, she's a perfectionist, altruistic (I don't think as self-sacrificing as MJ though), and she's a very hard worker. But she's a lot less innocent (sexuality and profanity) and more earthy. They are very different people but they both have been touched by angels I think. Why not enjoy them both?Rhythm Nation is my favorite album of all time, but I appreciate other gyms of hers as of late, especially the Rockwitchu video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbhkEhWIgU&feature=related

Last edited:
Ive been listening to the janet. album all day, its AMAZING. No obsession so far, lol. Just enjoyed it. Amazing voice! Very fun to listen to.

And to whom asked.. No, Im not trying to replace Michael with Janet.. I just dont want to get dissapointed and sad if I get obsessed with Janet and then one day when Janet isnt around more I wont have to deal with the same pain as with Michael.. Thats really what I meant..

Why are you scared? lol. Nothing wrong with being a big Janet fan. I used to be a big fan of hers myself. I never liked her as much as I do MJ, but there was a time when I was a massive fan. Haven't been into her over the past few years as much as I used to be, but but I still like her. I have all her albums (some of which are definite classics) and I think she's a great performer too.

Anyway you're not alone. There are some big fans of Janet on this board right here and she has a lot of die hard fans. She's pretty likeable I think. I'm definitely a fan, just an objective one lol. I don't like worship her or think she's the greatest thing ever like I do with Michael, but she is talented in her own right and I respect her as an artist and person.

I've always been the biggest Janet fan on the planet. I've been a fan of hers since I was 6 years old. Truth be told I'm probably a bigger fan of hers than Michael and I love Michael! I have every Janet record and I know all the choreography to all her videos. I've never thought to compare her to Michael because even though they're siblings I think each one of their talent stands alone. There are instances where I'm like "hmm, this reminds me of Michael" or I'll hear something from Michael and I'm like "hmm, this reminds me of Janet" but I think they both are equally talented and Janet is a legend/icon in a class all by herself but she's got those good Jackson genes with all of that Jackson magic so how could she not be!

Why can't you be a fan of both of them? I am :) In fact I am a fan of the whole Jackson family...

I love Janets music and personality! Go ahead and join the Janet fandom...u will be glad u did!!

Why can't you be a fan of both of them? I am :) In fact I am a fan of the whole Jackson family...

I love Janets music and personality! Go ahead and join the Janet fandom...u will be glad u did!!

You are lovely!! Im a big fan of the Jackson family too. :wub: Ah bless this big family..

You are lovely!! Im a big fan of the Jackson family too. :wub: Ah bless this big family..

Aww thanks...u are lovely too :) I'm glad to meet a like minded fan! The whole Jackson family is beautiful and talented in their own ways. But mj will always be my fav.

Ive been listening to the janet. album all day, its AMAZING. No obsession so far, lol. Just enjoyed it. Amazing voice! Very fun to listen to.

And to whom asked.. No, Im not trying to replace Michael with Janet.. I just dont want to get dissapointed and sad if I get obsessed with Janet and then one day when Janet isnt around more I wont have to deal with the same pain as with Michael.. Thats really what I meant..

Hopefully nothing like what happened to Michael will ever happen to Janet...and if 'god forbid' it does you will have other fellow fans (like me) to support and comfort you. And you will always have her legacy to hold onto like we have with Michael. Janet has contributed so much to popular music as well, she will always be a legend. And as long as their legacy is here they are never really gone..

Back